|By Marketwired .||
|January 7, 2014 04:54 PM EST||
MISSION, KS -- (Marketwired) -- 01/07/14 -- (Family Features) Windows can bring new life to existing homes by letting in fresh air, flooding rooms with natural light and opening up beautiful views. They also come in all shapes, sizes and materials. Important considerations for selecting the right window are type, material, style, climate and budget.
A pocket window is perfect in situations where the home's existing window frame and surrounding wall are in good condition, but the sash is in need of improvement. Installing a complete replacement window is a good choice for projects involving more substantial renovation.
The most common materials used for windows are vinyl, wood, clad-wood and aluminum. Your choice depends on what factors are most important to you.
- Vinyl - A strong PVC material that is used for its durability, energy efficiency and ability to stand up to the elements. This material resists fading and won't flake, peel or rot.
- Wood - Wood comes from trees with a range of characteristics, such as grain, color and sap content. Cladding is a strong layer of metal over the wood, providing extra protection and low maintenance benefits with no exterior painting required. Look for windows, like the JELD-WEN® W-2500 clad-wood windows, that combine the beauty of real wood with high-tech energy efficiency. JELD-WEN's wood windows, patio doors, exterior doors, door frames and trim boards made with solid pine AuraLast wood are protected from wood rot, termites and water saturation.
- Aluminum - A lightweight and strong material that is a cost effective alternative to wood. This material is corrosion-resistant and performs well in most climates.
Awning, bay, bow, casement, double-hung, fixed, garden, single-hung, sliding and tilt and turn -- windows are available in many shapes, sizes and combination units.
When it comes to budget, it's important to factor in long term value beyond the initial purchase price. Energy efficiency and a longer warranty can all help save maintenance and replacement costs over time. Resale value is also a key consideration -- beautiful, more efficient windows are a big selling feature.
Wet, humid, hot, severe storms, salty air -- different climates have different window needs when it comes to material and glass choices. Talk to a reputable contractor or window dealer in your particular area to help select products that may work best for you. He or she may recommend hardware for a coastal environment, rot-resistant wood or another of the following materials or options:
- Coastal climates, wet and damp and/or high humidity - Specially treated wood windows or vinyl windows offer good moisture protection. Because these conditions can require more maintenance, including regular repainting and touch-ups, windows that require less maintenance and won't need painting, such as vinyl, and clad-wood windows, are a good choice.
- Energy efficiency - With more homeowners looking for ways to save energy and money with building and remodeling projects, the demand for energy efficient windows grows. The W-2500 window from JELD-WEN, www.jeld-wen.com, can meet ENERGY STAR® criteria in all four climate zones in the U.S. and comes with an industry-leading warranty against wood rot. There are several criteria that must be met for a product to receive the ENERGY STAR designation. It is given in North, North Central and South Central climate zones with the standard glass package of Low-E270 with argon, and in the Southern zone when grilles are used. Without grilles, Southern zone ENERGY STAR criteria are achieved with Low-E366 and argon.
- Exceptionally hot/harsh sun exposure - Rather than window material type, glass and window location is key. The right glass can help protect against UV exposure and keep interior furnishings from fading. Choose insulated Low-E glass, which reduces the amount of heat entering the home and lowers cooling needs. It also blocks up to 85 percent of harmful UV rays that cause interior fading. Look for the ENERGY STAR label suitable for your region. Pay attention to window labels including the solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC), which indicates the ability to block heat generated by sunlight. The greater the protection, the lower the SHGC. U-factor is also important, which is the amount of heat flowing through a product. The lower the number, the more energy efficient it is. Proper overhangs and location of windows are also important. When building a home in a sunny region, place larger windows facing north.
- Severe, hurricane-force storms - In hurricane-prone regions, look for windows designed to meet local building codes. These windows come with options that resist impacts from wind borne debris and keep windows intact during storms.
Depending on location, new windows can save you money year after year. They can also increase your home's value. Most importantly, new windows enhance the entire look of your home and add to priceless curb appeal -- a must when it comes time to sell your home.
Don't Let Money Go Out the Window
Windows have a significant impact on your heating and cooling bills. So, it's extremely important to make the most energy-efficient choice for your home.
Replacing old windows with ENERGY STAR qualified windows can lower household energy bills by 7 to 15 percent, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Lower energy consumption also reduces greenhouse gas emissions from power plants and shrinks a house's carbon footprint. With thousands of ENERGY STAR qualified windows and doors, JELD-WEN can help improve the comfort and energy efficiency of your home while also providing style and long-lasting durability.
ENERGY STAR divides the U.S. into four climate zones, each with its own unique set of energy performance requirements. Energy efficiency for windows and doors is compared by using two important measurements:
- U-Factor: U-factor measures insulating value and indicates how much heat or cold transfers through the window or door. The lower the U-factor, the more energy efficient the product is.
- SHGC: Solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) measures a window's ability to block the sun's heat. The more solar heat it blocks, the lower the SHGC number. Where air conditioning is prevalent, ENERGY STAR requires a lower SHGC. Where heating is more prevalent, opt for a higher SHGC so the sun's rays can stream in on cold winter days.
In the northern zones, U-Factor and SHGC requirements focus on helping reduce the need for heating. In the southern zones, requirements generally aim to reduce the need for air conditioning. Special glass coatings help control how much of the sun's heat enters and how much of the controlled air temperature inside escapes.
To earn the ENERGY STAR label, windows must meet rigorous energy performance levels. Qualified products must also have third-party certification based on testing in recognized laboratories.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2490731
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,417
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 22, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,001
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 22, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,389
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Apr. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,778
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Apr. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,756
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 22, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,424
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 22, 2017 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth? In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,090
Cybersecurity is a critical component of software development in many industries including medical devices. However, code is not always written to be robust or secure from the unknown or the unexpected. This gap can make medical devices susceptible to cybersecurity attacks ranging from compromised personal health information to life-sustaining treatment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Fortney, Software Engineer at Battelle, will discuss how programming oversight using key methods can incre...
Apr. 22, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,628
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 22, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,133
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 22, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,645
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,297
Did you know that you can develop for mainframes in Java? Or that the testing and deployment can be automated across mobile to mainframe? In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Vaughn Marshall, Sr. Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will discuss and demo how increasingly teams are developing with agile methodologies using modern development environments and automating testing and deployments, mobile to mainframe.
Apr. 22, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 640
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 22, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,354
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 22, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,579