|By PR Newswire||
|January 8, 2014 02:44 PM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Hanna Lee Communications, Inc., an award-winning marketing agency that integrates traditional public relations with innovative social media marketing, today announces the results of its first Hanna Lee Communications Cocktails and Spirits Forecast.
NEW YORK, Jan. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Hanna Lee Communications, Inc., an award-winning marketing agency that integrates traditional public relations with innovative social media marketing, today announces the results of its first Hanna Lee Communications Cocktails and Spirits Forecast.The inaugural edition of the forecast features 14 tippling trends that will shape on- and off-premise consumption in 2014 from top beverage expert Noah Rothbaum, Liquor.com 's editor-in-chief and author of "The Business of Spirits."
"We were very excited to work with Noah to gain his insights into what's ahead in 2014 for cocktails and spirits," says Hanna Lee, President and Founder, Hanna Lee Communications. "This forecast will benefit the spirits and cocktail industry overall, as well as the media who cover it. We plan to undertake this forecast on an annual basis with a range of experts as our way of giving back to the industry."
"2013 was a great year for drinkers, with a range of excellent new bars opening across the country and many important new spirits entering the market," says Rothbaum. "2014 is shaping up to be just as exciting. Both innovations and a return to classics will continue to drive growth."
The 14 trends for 2014 are as follows:
1. Locavore Tippling
- From Brooklyn to Oakland, dozens of craft distilleries have opened across the U.S. and are producing a dizzying array of spirits, from gin to bourbon, absinthe to applejack, often from locally sourced ingredients. These spirits will continue to be embraced by their proud communities.
2. Drink Vodka Like a Russian
- While athletes will compete head-to-head in February at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, there will be no fighting at the bar. Vodka, Russia's national drink and a perennial U.S. favorite, will power infusions and will be a ubiquitous presence in cocktails throughout the games.
3. Saude! (That's "Cheers" in Brazil)
- With the World Cup this June and Summer Olympics in 2016, Brazil will grab the world's attention, and the tropical country's national spirit, cachaca, will be showcased. There's no better way to celebrate Brazil than with a hand-muddled Caipirinha, its signature cocktail.
4. The Professional Cocktail Party
- Borrowing a page from big-time food events, festivals and conferences devoted to cocktails and spirits are taking the U.S. by storm. Tales of the Cocktail is the original and largest cocktail conference for the bartending community, and New York's Manhattan Cocktail Classic is one of the most prominent consumer-focused bashes. Boston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Portland (Ore.), San Antonio and San Francisco have joined in, with additional cities expected to follow.
5. High-Tech Bartending
- Centrifuges, liquid nitrogen, smokers and lasers seem more at home in a lab than a bar, but pioneering watering holes around the world, including Honeycut (Los Angeles), 69 Colebrooke (London) and Booker and Dax (New York) are using these cutting edge tools to mix up drinks.
6. Bourbon and Rye Renaissance
- With consumers and bartenders craving more flavor-forward spirits, as well as the "Mad Men" effect, bourbon and rye whiskies are continuing to make a robust comeback. They're returning as fashionable sipping spirits, as well as the foundations for cocktails.
7. Cocktails To-Go
- Enjoy your favorite craft cocktail at home! Artisanal brands and top bartenders are launching their own lines of handcrafted bottled cocktails, from Palomas to Negronis. Simply pour over ice and sip away.
8. Flavor Bombs
- Cinnamon tequila. Apple Irish whiskey. Honey Scotch. Thanks to the success of flavored vodkas and Jim Beam's Red Stag line of flavored bourbons, brands are rolling out increasingly more flavored spirits. While consumers may tire of the more outrageous flavors, some experiments will catch on.
9. Global "Scotch-Like" Whiskies
- Scotland's centuries-old near-monopoly on single malt whisky is facing a new and serious foreign threat: "Scotch-like" whiskies from Japan, India, Taiwan and even Upstate New York. As these spirits win critical accolades and praise from tipplers, expect the selection to increase even more this year.
10. Truly Vintage Spirits
- To more authentically recreate pre-Prohibition cocktails, bars and restaurants are now stocking genuinely vintage spirits that date back decades, which were purchased at auction or from collectors. Stop by Pouring Ribbons (New York), MilkWood (Louisville) and Canon (Seattle) to experience some real "liquid history."
11. Simple, Classic Cocktails
- Forget about12-ingredient cocktails. Both bartenders and consumers have grown tired of overly fussy drinks that take a lot time to cobble together and are often puzzling flavor-wise. Expect a return to simpler, classic cocktails. Remember, these drinks are classic for a reason.
12. Overproof Spirits
- While many modern spirits clock in at 40 percent alcohol by volume, a growing number of tipples are breaking that barrier, pushing up to 100-proof, 110-proof and even higher. Mixologists have discovered that these "higher-octane" spirits stand up exceptionally well in cocktails.
13. Rum and Tequila: The "New" Sipping Spirits
- For many years, spirits like rum and tequila were mostly consumed unaged in cocktails like the Mojito and the Margarita. Today, mature versions of these spirits are being sipped and appreciated like fine cognacs or Scotch whiskies.
14. Price Hikes and Bargains Galore
- Prices for both cocktails and liquor have grown over the last few years and will continue to do so, especially in categories like single malt Scotch, as well as bourbon and rye, where producers can't keep up with international demand. However, bargains can still be found in the vodka, gin and rum categories.
Editor's Note: Noah Rothbaum is available for interview, with a photo upon request.
About Noah Rothbaum
Noah Rothbaum is the editor-in-chief of Liquor.com and the author of The Business of Spirits: How Savvy Marketers, Innovative Distillers, and Entrepreneurs Changed How We Drink. Liquor.com is the winner of the 2013 James Beard Award for its "How to Cocktail" video series and the 2012 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award for Best Cocktail Writing.
Rothbaum has spoken at a number of industry conferences, including Tales of the Cocktail, the Boston Cocktail Summit, Thirst Boston and the National Restaurant Association Show, and has guest-lectured at the Culinary Institute of America, Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business and Lehigh University. He has also judged several cocktail competitions and been quoted in a wide selection of publications and websites, including O, The Oprah Magazine, BrandWeek, Beverage Media, Nation's Restaurant News, BBC.com, TravelandLeisure.com, MoneyWatch.com, SmartMoney.com, CNBC.com, MarketWatch.com and Forbes.com.
According to Chicago magazine's chief dining critic, Jeff Ruby, "Rothbaum knows drinking like Newton knew gravity, but he's not all high and mighty about it, creating laws and whatnot." And The Wall Street Journal's Speakeasy blog called him "one of the smartest tipplers (and writers on spirits) we know."
In addition, Rothbaum has written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Food & Wine, Food Network Magazine, Gastronomica, Esquire, Details, Men's Journal, Men's Fitness, Life, NYMag.com, TheAtlantic.com and Portfolio.com.
About Hanna Lee Communications, Inc.
Headquartered in New York City, Hanna Lee Communications, Inc. is an award-winning marketing agency that integrates traditional public relations with innovative social media marketing. It is specialized in hospitality and lifestyle PR, including spirits, wine, food and travel, as well as event management. The agency only represents products and companies that it is passionate about. This outlook drives its well-acknowledged excellence.
The agency has created a number of successful PR, event management and social media case studies that have earned recognition from prestigious national and international organizations that include PR News' Platinum PR Awards, PRWeek Awards, SABRE Awards, PRSA-NY's Big Apple Awards, The Communicator Awards, The Bulldog Awards and the W 3 Awards. In addition, through its multi-year PR campaign for Mionetto Wines, Hanna Lee Communications contributed to developing the now popular Prosecco category in the U.S.
Hanna Lee Communications' client experience includes the Manhattan Cocktail Classic, Campari, Louis Royer Cognac, Santa Teresa Rum, The Dead Rabbit, PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur, TINCUP American Whiskey, GRACE Restaurant and Pub, Leblon Cachaca, Cooper Spirits' Lock Stock & Barrel Rye Whiskey, Melibea Urban Mediterranean Restaurant, Atsby Vermouth, Pisco Control C, Sobieski Vodka, Marie Brizard Liqueurs, Michael's New York, MONO+MONO Restaurant, Forcella Pizza Restaurant Group, Rayuela Restaurant, Macondo Latin Tapas Bar, San Domenico New York (now SD26), Japan Week, Wines of Croatia, Terra Andina Chilean Wines, Mionetto Wines, G7 Portuguese Wine Consortium and others.
Hanna Lee Communications is active on social media where it shares agency, client and industry news:
SOURCE Hanna Lee Communications, Inc.
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 554
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,808
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,654
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,474
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,125
Apache Hadoop is a key technology for gaining business insights from your Big Data, but the penetration into enterprises is shockingly low. In fact, Apache Hadoop and Big Data proponents recognize that this technology has not yet achieved its game-changing business potential. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, John Mertic, director of program management for ODPi at The Linux Foundation, will explain why this is, how we can work together as an open data community to increase adoption, and the i...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,971
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,449
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,716
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 665
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said “No to LUNs.” With Tintri they mana...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,037
24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to connect your brand strategy with the right consumer. 24Notion ranked #12 on Corporate Social Responsibility - Book of List.
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 524
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 760
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,141
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Oct. 1, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 529