|By PR Newswire||
|January 8, 2014 02:44 PM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Hanna Lee Communications, Inc., an award-winning marketing agency that integrates traditional public relations with innovative social media marketing, today announces the results of its first Hanna Lee Communications Cocktails and Spirits Forecast.
NEW YORK, Jan. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Hanna Lee Communications, Inc., an award-winning marketing agency that integrates traditional public relations with innovative social media marketing, today announces the results of its first Hanna Lee Communications Cocktails and Spirits Forecast.The inaugural edition of the forecast features 14 tippling trends that will shape on- and off-premise consumption in 2014 from top beverage expert Noah Rothbaum, Liquor.com 's editor-in-chief and author of "The Business of Spirits."
"We were very excited to work with Noah to gain his insights into what's ahead in 2014 for cocktails and spirits," says Hanna Lee, President and Founder, Hanna Lee Communications. "This forecast will benefit the spirits and cocktail industry overall, as well as the media who cover it. We plan to undertake this forecast on an annual basis with a range of experts as our way of giving back to the industry."
"2013 was a great year for drinkers, with a range of excellent new bars opening across the country and many important new spirits entering the market," says Rothbaum. "2014 is shaping up to be just as exciting. Both innovations and a return to classics will continue to drive growth."
The 14 trends for 2014 are as follows:
1. Locavore Tippling
- From Brooklyn to Oakland, dozens of craft distilleries have opened across the U.S. and are producing a dizzying array of spirits, from gin to bourbon, absinthe to applejack, often from locally sourced ingredients. These spirits will continue to be embraced by their proud communities.
2. Drink Vodka Like a Russian
- While athletes will compete head-to-head in February at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, there will be no fighting at the bar. Vodka, Russia's national drink and a perennial U.S. favorite, will power infusions and will be a ubiquitous presence in cocktails throughout the games.
3. Saude! (That's "Cheers" in Brazil)
- With the World Cup this June and Summer Olympics in 2016, Brazil will grab the world's attention, and the tropical country's national spirit, cachaca, will be showcased. There's no better way to celebrate Brazil than with a hand-muddled Caipirinha, its signature cocktail.
4. The Professional Cocktail Party
- Borrowing a page from big-time food events, festivals and conferences devoted to cocktails and spirits are taking the U.S. by storm. Tales of the Cocktail is the original and largest cocktail conference for the bartending community, and New York's Manhattan Cocktail Classic is one of the most prominent consumer-focused bashes. Boston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Portland (Ore.), San Antonio and San Francisco have joined in, with additional cities expected to follow.
5. High-Tech Bartending
- Centrifuges, liquid nitrogen, smokers and lasers seem more at home in a lab than a bar, but pioneering watering holes around the world, including Honeycut (Los Angeles), 69 Colebrooke (London) and Booker and Dax (New York) are using these cutting edge tools to mix up drinks.
6. Bourbon and Rye Renaissance
- With consumers and bartenders craving more flavor-forward spirits, as well as the "Mad Men" effect, bourbon and rye whiskies are continuing to make a robust comeback. They're returning as fashionable sipping spirits, as well as the foundations for cocktails.
7. Cocktails To-Go
- Enjoy your favorite craft cocktail at home! Artisanal brands and top bartenders are launching their own lines of handcrafted bottled cocktails, from Palomas to Negronis. Simply pour over ice and sip away.
8. Flavor Bombs
- Cinnamon tequila. Apple Irish whiskey. Honey Scotch. Thanks to the success of flavored vodkas and Jim Beam's Red Stag line of flavored bourbons, brands are rolling out increasingly more flavored spirits. While consumers may tire of the more outrageous flavors, some experiments will catch on.
9. Global "Scotch-Like" Whiskies
- Scotland's centuries-old near-monopoly on single malt whisky is facing a new and serious foreign threat: "Scotch-like" whiskies from Japan, India, Taiwan and even Upstate New York. As these spirits win critical accolades and praise from tipplers, expect the selection to increase even more this year.
10. Truly Vintage Spirits
- To more authentically recreate pre-Prohibition cocktails, bars and restaurants are now stocking genuinely vintage spirits that date back decades, which were purchased at auction or from collectors. Stop by Pouring Ribbons (New York), MilkWood (Louisville) and Canon (Seattle) to experience some real "liquid history."
11. Simple, Classic Cocktails
- Forget about12-ingredient cocktails. Both bartenders and consumers have grown tired of overly fussy drinks that take a lot time to cobble together and are often puzzling flavor-wise. Expect a return to simpler, classic cocktails. Remember, these drinks are classic for a reason.
12. Overproof Spirits
- While many modern spirits clock in at 40 percent alcohol by volume, a growing number of tipples are breaking that barrier, pushing up to 100-proof, 110-proof and even higher. Mixologists have discovered that these "higher-octane" spirits stand up exceptionally well in cocktails.
13. Rum and Tequila: The "New" Sipping Spirits
- For many years, spirits like rum and tequila were mostly consumed unaged in cocktails like the Mojito and the Margarita. Today, mature versions of these spirits are being sipped and appreciated like fine cognacs or Scotch whiskies.
14. Price Hikes and Bargains Galore
- Prices for both cocktails and liquor have grown over the last few years and will continue to do so, especially in categories like single malt Scotch, as well as bourbon and rye, where producers can't keep up with international demand. However, bargains can still be found in the vodka, gin and rum categories.
Editor's Note: Noah Rothbaum is available for interview, with a photo upon request.
About Noah Rothbaum
Noah Rothbaum is the editor-in-chief of Liquor.com and the author of The Business of Spirits: How Savvy Marketers, Innovative Distillers, and Entrepreneurs Changed How We Drink. Liquor.com is the winner of the 2013 James Beard Award for its "How to Cocktail" video series and the 2012 Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award for Best Cocktail Writing.
Rothbaum has spoken at a number of industry conferences, including Tales of the Cocktail, the Boston Cocktail Summit, Thirst Boston and the National Restaurant Association Show, and has guest-lectured at the Culinary Institute of America, Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business and Lehigh University. He has also judged several cocktail competitions and been quoted in a wide selection of publications and websites, including O, The Oprah Magazine, BrandWeek, Beverage Media, Nation's Restaurant News, BBC.com, TravelandLeisure.com, MoneyWatch.com, SmartMoney.com, CNBC.com, MarketWatch.com and Forbes.com.
According to Chicago magazine's chief dining critic, Jeff Ruby, "Rothbaum knows drinking like Newton knew gravity, but he's not all high and mighty about it, creating laws and whatnot." And The Wall Street Journal's Speakeasy blog called him "one of the smartest tipplers (and writers on spirits) we know."
In addition, Rothbaum has written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Food & Wine, Food Network Magazine, Gastronomica, Esquire, Details, Men's Journal, Men's Fitness, Life, NYMag.com, TheAtlantic.com and Portfolio.com.
About Hanna Lee Communications, Inc.
Headquartered in New York City, Hanna Lee Communications, Inc. is an award-winning marketing agency that integrates traditional public relations with innovative social media marketing. It is specialized in hospitality and lifestyle PR, including spirits, wine, food and travel, as well as event management. The agency only represents products and companies that it is passionate about. This outlook drives its well-acknowledged excellence.
The agency has created a number of successful PR, event management and social media case studies that have earned recognition from prestigious national and international organizations that include PR News' Platinum PR Awards, PRWeek Awards, SABRE Awards, PRSA-NY's Big Apple Awards, The Communicator Awards, The Bulldog Awards and the W 3 Awards. In addition, through its multi-year PR campaign for Mionetto Wines, Hanna Lee Communications contributed to developing the now popular Prosecco category in the U.S.
Hanna Lee Communications' client experience includes the Manhattan Cocktail Classic, Campari, Louis Royer Cognac, Santa Teresa Rum, The Dead Rabbit, PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur, TINCUP American Whiskey, GRACE Restaurant and Pub, Leblon Cachaca, Cooper Spirits' Lock Stock & Barrel Rye Whiskey, Melibea Urban Mediterranean Restaurant, Atsby Vermouth, Pisco Control C, Sobieski Vodka, Marie Brizard Liqueurs, Michael's New York, MONO+MONO Restaurant, Forcella Pizza Restaurant Group, Rayuela Restaurant, Macondo Latin Tapas Bar, San Domenico New York (now SD26), Japan Week, Wines of Croatia, Terra Andina Chilean Wines, Mionetto Wines, G7 Portuguese Wine Consortium and others.
Hanna Lee Communications is active on social media where it shares agency, client and industry news:
SOURCE Hanna Lee Communications, Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 378
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,623
Enterprises can achieve rigorous IT security as well as improved DevOps practices and Cloud economics by taking a new, cloud-native approach to application delivery. Because the attack surface for cloud applications is dramatically different than for highly controlled data centers, a disciplined and multi-layered approach that spans all of your processes, staff, vendors and technologies is required. This may sound expensive and time consuming to achieve as you plan how to move selected applicati...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,993
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 491
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the ...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,607
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 183
Everyone talks about continuous integration and continuous delivery but those are just two ends of the pipeline. In the middle of DevOps is continuous testing (CT), and many organizations are struggling to implement continuous testing effectively. After all, without continuous testing there is no delivery. And Lab-As-A-Service (LaaS) enhances the CT with dynamic on-demand self-serve test topologies. CT together with LAAS make a powerful combination that perfectly serves complex software developm...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 226
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,556
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,550
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 519
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 813
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 274
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 196
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Sep. 2, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 557