|By Business Wire||
|January 13, 2014 10:01 AM EST||
A new survey titled “The State of the Workforce in Retail: Taking a Global View” commissioned by Kronos Incorporated and independently conducted by Aberdeen Group reveals that when compared to other countries, the U.S. leads in understanding that the workforce is more than just an expense but rather a competitive advantage. The survey also shows that retailers that focus on their workforce as a competitive advantage lead in key outcomes such as lower turnover, absenteeism, and overtime.
- “The State of the Workforce in Retail: Taking a Global View” surveyed managers, directors, and senior executives within more than 220 retail organizations across four regions – U.S., Western Europe, China, and Mexico/Brazil.
- When asked how they view their workforce, 45 percent of U.S. respondents describe the workforce as a competitive advantage followed by Mexico/Brazil, Western Europe, and China at 30, 25, and 10 percent respectively. Though moving at a slower pace than the U.S., the survey shows that retailers in every region have stopped categorizing the workforce as merely a cost and are evolving their view of how the workforce can contribute to the overall business success. And retailers that view their workforce as a competitive advantage have lower turnover, absenteeism, and overtime expense by 19, 25, and 42 percent respectively.
- The survey also finds that organizational goals clearly shape how retailers view their workforce. In the U.S., retailers rate improving the customer experience and loyalty as the top two business goals, at 68 and 40 percent respectively, and they also view their workforce mostly as a competitive advantage. Whereas retailers in China and Mexico/Brazil are most focused on labor productivity, rating it as their number one business goal at 54 and 55 percent respectively and are more likely to view their workforce as a flexible asset or a resource.
- When it comes to building a brand, U.S. retailers rely on the customer experience more than any other region, with 65 percent stating it is the top factor influencing brand value. In other regions, product quality is as the highest factor influencing brand value, with 56, 62, and 63 percent of respondents from Western Europe, China, and Mexico/Brazil respectively rating it as most important for influencing brand value.
- According to the survey, retailers around the world are starting to better understand the role of workforce management technology in mitigating more than just compliance risk. All regions recognize that these tools can put the right person in the right place at the right time to help meet consumer demand, drive sales, and improve overall operational excellence. And majority of U.S. respondents – at 53 percent – identify supporting customer satisfaction as a top goal for workforce management solutions.
Liz Moughan, director, retail and hospitality practice group, Kronos
“This survey confirms what we have known intuitively for some time. The U.S. market has evolved to an extent where retailers understand that the workforce is a competitive advantage because the margin of error when it comes to customer service is shrinking dramatically. Consequently, U.S. retailers have adopted more advanced tools to ensure a productive and engaged workforce that helps them stay ahead of the competition. While the focus outside of the U.S. has not been as strong on the customer experience, retailers around the world are beginning to understand the strategic significance of the workforce in achieving business goals.”
- Kronos made this announcement from the National Retail Federation’s (NRF) 103rd Annual Convention and Expo being in held in New York from Jan. 12-15. Kronos is exhibiting in booth #2939.
- Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Subscribe to our workforce management blogs.
- Take a look at the lighter side of workforce management in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications at www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
© 2014 Kronos Incorporated. Kronos is a registered trademark and Workforce Innovation That Works is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
In today's digital world, change is the one constant. Disruptive innovations like cloud, mobility, social media, and the Internet of Things have reshaped the market and set new standards in customer expectations. To remain competitive, businesses must tap the potential of emerging technologies and markets through the rapid release of new products and services. However, the rigid and siloed structures of traditional IT platforms and processes are slowing them down – resulting in lengthy delivery ...
Oct. 13, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,083
Containers are all the rage among developers and web companies, but they also represent two very substantial benefits to larger organizations. First, they have the potential to dramatically accelerate the application lifecycle from software builds and testing to deployment and upgrades. Second they represent the first truly hybrid-approach to consuming infrastructure, allowing organizations to run the same workloads on any cloud, virtual machine or physical server. Together, they represent a ver...
Oct. 13, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 203
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Oct. 13, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 154
As operational failure becomes more acceptable to discuss within the software industry, the necessity for holding constructive, actionable postmortems increases. But most of what we know about postmortems from "pop culture" isn't actually relevant for the software systems we work on and within. In his session at DevOps Summit, J. Paul Reed will look at postmortem pitfalls, techniques, and tools you'll be able to take back to your own environment so they will be able to lay the foundations for h...
Oct. 13, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 176
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 13, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 679
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete en...
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 404
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 258
Containers are changing the security landscape for software development and deployment. As with any security solutions, security approaches that work for developers, operations personnel and security professionals is a requirement. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Kevin Gilpin, CTO and Co-Founder of Conjur, will discuss various security considerations for container-based infrastructure and related DevOps workflows.
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 324
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in high-performance, high-efficiency server, storage technology and green computing, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data ...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 185
Achim Weiss is Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of ProfitBricks. In 1995, he broke off his studies to co-found the web hosting company "Schlund+Partner." The company "Schlund+Partner" later became the 1&1 web hosting product line. From 1995 to 2008, he was the technical director for several important projects: the largest web hosting platform in the world, the second largest DSL platform, a video on-demand delivery network, the largest eMail backend in Europe, and a universal billing syste...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 350
Between the compelling mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at DevOps Summit, Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how busine...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 391
Interested in leveraging automation technologies and a cloud architecture to make developers more productive? Learn how PaaS can benefit your organization to help you streamline your application development, allow you to use existing infrastructure and improve operational efficiencies. Begin charting your path to PaaS with OpenShift Enterprise.
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 657
IT data is typically silo'd by the various tools in place. Unifying all the log, metric and event data in one analytics platform stops finger pointing and provides the end-to-end correlation. Logs, metrics and custom event data can be joined to tell the holistic story of your software and operations. For example, users can correlate code deploys to system performance to application error codes.
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 314
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
Oct. 13, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 375
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing thes...
Oct. 13, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 851