|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2014 02:37 PM EST||
- Ultibro™ Breezhaler®1 (QVA149), a long-term once-daily dual bronchodilator, received Health Canada approval on December 23rd 2013 for the treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Pivotal Phase III IGNITE data showed QVA149 significantly improved lung function and patient-reported outcomes including breathlessness and rescue medication use, compared to current standards of care2,3,4
DORVAL, QC, Jan. 13, 2014 /CNW/ - Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. (Novartis) announced today that Health Canada has approved the use of long-term once-daily dual bronchodilator Ultibro™ Breezhaler® (indacaterol 110 mcg / glycopyrronium 50 mcg) as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
"The availability of ULTIBRO® BREEZHALER® is good news for my patients with COPD who struggle with disabling breathlessness as they attempt simple everyday tasks." says Dr. Kenneth Chapman, Director, Asthma & Airway Centre of the University Health Network, located in Toronto. "A new treatment option that improves lung function and relieves breathlessness around the clock following just one inhalation is a welcome advance."
Health Canada approved Ultibro™ Breezhaler® based on five studies from the IGNITE clinical program (SHINE2, ILLUMINATE3, SPARK4, BRIGHT5 and ENLIGHTEN6 studies). These studies showed that QVA149 provided rapid and sustained improvements in lung function, and significantly reduced shortness of breath. These improvements were maintained throughout the duration of the trials13,14. The IGNITE clinical program is one of the largest international phase III clinical trial programs in COPD, with 11 trials in total and more than 10 000 patients involved. 2-12
Ultibro™ Breezhaler® is a fixed-dose combination (FDC) of two bronchodilators, Onbrez® Breezhaler®15 (indacaterol maleate), a long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist (LABA) and Seebri® Breezhaler®16 (glycopyrronium bromide), a long-acting anticholinergic (LAAC). Both are currently used by healthcare professionals as individual therapies to treat COPD in Canada.
"COPD is known to affect an estimated 210 million people worldwide17 and is projected to be the third leading cause of death by 202018. Several patients find COPD symptoms really tough to cope with - even if they're already taking treatment," said Dr. Riad Sherif, President of Novartis. "With the approval of Ultibro™ Breezhaler®, Novartis is pleased that Health Canada recognizes the efficacy of dual therapy, which has the potential to make a real difference for those with COPD."
About the IGNITE clinical trial program
In the Phase III IGNITE clinical trial program, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® (QVA149) was investigated for the treatment of COPD patients as an inhaled FDC of indacaterol maleate and glycopyrronium bromide. IGNITE is one of the largest international clinical trial programs in COPD comprising 11 studies in total (ILLUMINATE, SHINE, BRIGHT, ENLIGHTEN, SPARK, BLAZE, ARISE, BEACON, RADIATE, LANTERN, FLAME) with more than 10,000* patients across 52 countries2-12,19,20. The first eight studies (ILLUMINATE, SHINE, BRIGHT, ENLIGHTEN, SPARK, BLAZE, ARISE, BEACON) completed in 2012. The studies are designed to investigate the efficacy, safety and tolerability, lung function, exercise endurance, exacerbations, shortness of breath and quality of life in patients treated with QVA149.
Results from the Phase III IGNITE trials2-12 demonstrated statistically significant improvements in bronchodilation with Ultibro™ Breezhaler® versus placebo. Data showed that Ultibro™ Breezhaler® significantly improved bronchodilation providing a rapid onset and sustained bronchodilation during a 24-hour period which was maintained for up to 26 weeks21. In the IGNITE Phase III trial program, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® also showed symptomatic improvements versus placebo in COPD patients2,4,5,13. These symptomatic improvements included shortness of breath, exercise tolerance, rescue medication use and health-related quality of life2,4,5,13.
In clinical studies, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® demonstrated an acceptable safety profile with no meaningful differences between the treatment groups in the incidence of adverse and serious adverse events2,3,4,5,21. The most common adverse drug reactions related to Ultibro™ Breezhaler® were cough and oropharyngeal pain1.
*Total refers to all 11 IGNITE studies.
About the Novartis COPD portfolio
Novartis is committed to addressing the unmet medical needs of patients with respiratory diseases and improving their quality of life by providing innovative medicines and devices.
Available in Canada, Onbrez® Breezhaler® (indacaterol maleate) 75 mcg is a long-acting β2-agonist (LABA) indicated for long-term maintenance bronchodilator treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema15.
Also approved for use in Canada, once-daily Seebri® Breezhaler® (glycopyrronium bromide) 50 mcg is a novel inhaled long-acting anticholinergic (LAAC; also referred to as a long-acting muscarinic antagonist) indicated as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment in patients with COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema16.
COPD is a progressive life-threatening disease that makes it hard to breathe, with symptoms that have a destructive impact on patients' function and quality of life18,22. It affects an estimated 210 million people worldwide17 and is projected to be the third leading cause of death by 202018.
COPD is often considered to be a disease of later years, but estimates suggest that 50% of those with COPD are now less than 65 years old, resulting in increases in absenteeism, premature retirement and reductions in workforce participation23.
In Canada, 2009-2010 estimates show that 4% of Canadians aged 35 and older are affected. Cigarette smoking is the principal cause, accounting for 80% of COPD deaths24.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc., a leader in the healthcare field, is committed to the discovery, development and marketing of innovative products to improve the well-being of all Canadians. In 2012, the company invested close to $100 million in research and development in Canada. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. employs more than 600 people in Canada. For further information, please consult www.novartis.ca.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. is an affiliate of Novartis AG, which provides innovative healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Novartis offers a diversified portfolio to best meet these needs: innovative medicines, eye care, cost-saving generic pharmaceuticals, preventive vaccines and diagnostic tools, over-the-counter and animal health products. Novartis is the only global company with leading positions in these areas. In 2012, the Group achieved net sales of USD 56.7 billion, while R&D throughout the Group amounted to approximately USD 9.3 billion (USD 9.1 billion excluding impairment and amortization charges). Novartis Group companies employ approximately 133,000 full-time equivalent associates and operate in more than 140 countries around the world. For more information, please visit www.novartis.com.
™Ultibro is a trademark of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
®Onbrez, Seebri and Breezhaler are registered trademarks of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
- Ultibro™ Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Bateman ED et al. Dual bronchodilation with QVA149 versus single bronchodilator therapy: the SHINE study. European Respiratory Journal http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/early/2013/05/30/09031936.00200212.full.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Vogelmeier C et al. Efficacy and safety of once-daily QVA149 compared with twice-daily salmeterol/fluticasone in patients with COPD (ILLUMINATE): a randomised, double-blind, parallel group study. Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2013;1(1): 51-60.
- Wedzicha JA et al. Analysis of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Exacerbations with the Dual Bronchodilator QVA149 Compared with Glycopyrronium and Tiotropium (SPARK): a Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel-group Study. Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2013;1(3): 199-209.
- Beeh et al. QVA149 once daily improves exercise tolerance and lung function in patients with COPD: the BRIGHT study. [BTS Winter Meeting 2012, Poster presentation P191; Date: 6 December; Time: 16:00-17:30].
- Dahl et al. 2012. QVA administered once daily provides significant improvements in lung function over 1 year in patients with COPD: The ENLIGHTEN study. Volume abstract 853405.
- Mahler D et al. Superior lung function with once-daily QVA149 translates into improvements in patient reported breathlessness compared with placebo and tiotropium in COPD patients: the BLAZE study. [ATS abstract 45308; Session C20; Date: May 21, 2013 Time: 8:15-10:45].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Long Term Safety and Tolerability of QVA149 Versus Tiotropium in Japanese Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (ARISE). [Online] Available at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01285492?term=%28ARISE%29&rank=4 . [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Comparison of Safety and Efficacy of the Combination Product QVA149A Against the Concurrent Administration of the Individual Components, QAB149 and NVA237, in Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (BEACON). [Online] Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01529632?term=BEACON&rank=6. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Comparison of Long-term Safety of the Combination Product QVA149A Against Placebo and Standard of Care Treatment in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients With Moderate to Severe Airflow Limitation (RADIATE). [Online] Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01610037?term=GLISTEN&rank=1 .[Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. A 26-week Treatment Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy, Parallel-group Study to Assess the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of QVA149 (Indacaterol / Glycopyrronium Bromide) Compared to Fluticasone/Salmeterol in Patients With Moderate to Severe Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. [Online]. Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01709903?id=01709903&rank=1. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrial.gov, n.d. A 52-week Treatment, Multi-center, Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy, Parallel-group, Active Controlled Study to Compare the Effect of QVA149 (Indacaterol Maleate / Glycopyrronium Bromide) With Salmeterol/Futicasone on the Rate of Exacerbations in Subjects With Moderate to Very Severe COPD (FLAME). [Online] Available at: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01782326?term=COPD+novartis+52&rank=2 .[Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Vogelmeier C et al. Once-daily QVA149 provides clinically meaningful improvements in lung function and clinical outcomes. [ERS abstract 851178; Session 82; Date: September 8, 2013 Time: 12:50-14:40].
- Banerji D et al. Dual bronchodilation with once-daily QVA149 improves dyspnea and health status and reduces symptoms and rescue medication use in patients with COPD: the IGNITE trials. [ERS abstract 851388; Session 346; Date: September 10 2013 Time: 8:30-10:30].
- Onbrez® Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Seebri® Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Global Alliance Against Chronic Respiratory Diseases (GARD). Global surveillance, prevention and control of chronic respiratory diseases: a comprehensive approach. Available at: http://www.who.int/gard/publications/GARD%20Book%202007.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Updated 2013. http://www.goldcopd.org/guidelines-global-strategy-for-diagnosis-management.html. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- FDA Access Data, n.d.Spiriva Medical Review Part 2. [Online] Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2004/21-395_Spiriva.cfm. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- FDA Access Data, 2003.Advair Medical Review. [Online] Available at: www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2003/021077_S003_ADVAIR_DISKUS.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Welte T et al. QVA149 once daily is safe and well tolerated in patients with COPD: the SHINE study. [ATS abstract 41616; Session A43; Date: May 19, 2013, 8:15-16.30].
- Joshi M et al. Symptom burden in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cancer. Obstructive, occupational and environmental diseases. 2012;18 (2).
- Fletcher MJ et al. COPD Uncovered: An International survey on the impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) on a working age population. BMC Public Health 2011; 11:612.
- PHAC. Fast facts about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) 2011. Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cd-mc/publications/copd-mpoc/ff-rr-2011-eng.php. Accessed September 3, 2013
SOURCE Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,004
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,713
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 901
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 282
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 817
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 26, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 479
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Jul. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 530
As companies gain momentum, the need to maintain high quality products can outstrip their development team’s bandwidth for QA. Building out a large QA team (whether in-house or outsourced) can slow down development and significantly increases costs. This eBook takes QA profiles from 5 companies who successfully scaled up production without building a large QA team and includes: What to consider when choosing CI/CD tools How culture and communication can make or break implementation
Jul. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,627
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 26, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,992
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,582
UpGuard has become a member of the Center for Internet Security (CIS), and will continue to help businesses expand visibility into their cyber risk by providing hardening benchmarks to all customers. By incorporating these benchmarks, UpGuard's CSTAR solution builds on its lead in providing the most complete assessment of both internal and external cyber risk. CIS benchmarks are a widely accepted set of hardening guidelines that have been publicly available for years. Numerous solutions exist t...
Jul. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 552
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,721
Choosing the right cloud for your workloads is a balancing act that can cost your organization time, money and aggravation - unless you get it right the first time. Economics, speed, performance, accessibility, administrative needs and security all play a vital role in dictating your approach to the cloud. Without knowing the right questions to ask, you could wind up paying for capacity you'll never need or underestimating the resources required to run your applications.
Jul. 26, 2016 10:37 AM EDT Reads: 324
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 26, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,184
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, ...
Jul. 26, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 994