|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2014 02:37 PM EST||
- Ultibro™ Breezhaler®1 (QVA149), a long-term once-daily dual bronchodilator, received Health Canada approval on December 23rd 2013 for the treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Pivotal Phase III IGNITE data showed QVA149 significantly improved lung function and patient-reported outcomes including breathlessness and rescue medication use, compared to current standards of care2,3,4
DORVAL, QC, Jan. 13, 2014 /CNW/ - Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. (Novartis) announced today that Health Canada has approved the use of long-term once-daily dual bronchodilator Ultibro™ Breezhaler® (indacaterol 110 mcg / glycopyrronium 50 mcg) as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
"The availability of ULTIBRO® BREEZHALER® is good news for my patients with COPD who struggle with disabling breathlessness as they attempt simple everyday tasks." says Dr. Kenneth Chapman, Director, Asthma & Airway Centre of the University Health Network, located in Toronto. "A new treatment option that improves lung function and relieves breathlessness around the clock following just one inhalation is a welcome advance."
Health Canada approved Ultibro™ Breezhaler® based on five studies from the IGNITE clinical program (SHINE2, ILLUMINATE3, SPARK4, BRIGHT5 and ENLIGHTEN6 studies). These studies showed that QVA149 provided rapid and sustained improvements in lung function, and significantly reduced shortness of breath. These improvements were maintained throughout the duration of the trials13,14. The IGNITE clinical program is one of the largest international phase III clinical trial programs in COPD, with 11 trials in total and more than 10 000 patients involved. 2-12
Ultibro™ Breezhaler® is a fixed-dose combination (FDC) of two bronchodilators, Onbrez® Breezhaler®15 (indacaterol maleate), a long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist (LABA) and Seebri® Breezhaler®16 (glycopyrronium bromide), a long-acting anticholinergic (LAAC). Both are currently used by healthcare professionals as individual therapies to treat COPD in Canada.
"COPD is known to affect an estimated 210 million people worldwide17 and is projected to be the third leading cause of death by 202018. Several patients find COPD symptoms really tough to cope with - even if they're already taking treatment," said Dr. Riad Sherif, President of Novartis. "With the approval of Ultibro™ Breezhaler®, Novartis is pleased that Health Canada recognizes the efficacy of dual therapy, which has the potential to make a real difference for those with COPD."
About the IGNITE clinical trial program
In the Phase III IGNITE clinical trial program, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® (QVA149) was investigated for the treatment of COPD patients as an inhaled FDC of indacaterol maleate and glycopyrronium bromide. IGNITE is one of the largest international clinical trial programs in COPD comprising 11 studies in total (ILLUMINATE, SHINE, BRIGHT, ENLIGHTEN, SPARK, BLAZE, ARISE, BEACON, RADIATE, LANTERN, FLAME) with more than 10,000* patients across 52 countries2-12,19,20. The first eight studies (ILLUMINATE, SHINE, BRIGHT, ENLIGHTEN, SPARK, BLAZE, ARISE, BEACON) completed in 2012. The studies are designed to investigate the efficacy, safety and tolerability, lung function, exercise endurance, exacerbations, shortness of breath and quality of life in patients treated with QVA149.
Results from the Phase III IGNITE trials2-12 demonstrated statistically significant improvements in bronchodilation with Ultibro™ Breezhaler® versus placebo. Data showed that Ultibro™ Breezhaler® significantly improved bronchodilation providing a rapid onset and sustained bronchodilation during a 24-hour period which was maintained for up to 26 weeks21. In the IGNITE Phase III trial program, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® also showed symptomatic improvements versus placebo in COPD patients2,4,5,13. These symptomatic improvements included shortness of breath, exercise tolerance, rescue medication use and health-related quality of life2,4,5,13.
In clinical studies, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® demonstrated an acceptable safety profile with no meaningful differences between the treatment groups in the incidence of adverse and serious adverse events2,3,4,5,21. The most common adverse drug reactions related to Ultibro™ Breezhaler® were cough and oropharyngeal pain1.
*Total refers to all 11 IGNITE studies.
About the Novartis COPD portfolio
Novartis is committed to addressing the unmet medical needs of patients with respiratory diseases and improving their quality of life by providing innovative medicines and devices.
Available in Canada, Onbrez® Breezhaler® (indacaterol maleate) 75 mcg is a long-acting β2-agonist (LABA) indicated for long-term maintenance bronchodilator treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema15.
Also approved for use in Canada, once-daily Seebri® Breezhaler® (glycopyrronium bromide) 50 mcg is a novel inhaled long-acting anticholinergic (LAAC; also referred to as a long-acting muscarinic antagonist) indicated as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment in patients with COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema16.
COPD is a progressive life-threatening disease that makes it hard to breathe, with symptoms that have a destructive impact on patients' function and quality of life18,22. It affects an estimated 210 million people worldwide17 and is projected to be the third leading cause of death by 202018.
COPD is often considered to be a disease of later years, but estimates suggest that 50% of those with COPD are now less than 65 years old, resulting in increases in absenteeism, premature retirement and reductions in workforce participation23.
In Canada, 2009-2010 estimates show that 4% of Canadians aged 35 and older are affected. Cigarette smoking is the principal cause, accounting for 80% of COPD deaths24.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc., a leader in the healthcare field, is committed to the discovery, development and marketing of innovative products to improve the well-being of all Canadians. In 2012, the company invested close to $100 million in research and development in Canada. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. employs more than 600 people in Canada. For further information, please consult www.novartis.ca.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. is an affiliate of Novartis AG, which provides innovative healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Novartis offers a diversified portfolio to best meet these needs: innovative medicines, eye care, cost-saving generic pharmaceuticals, preventive vaccines and diagnostic tools, over-the-counter and animal health products. Novartis is the only global company with leading positions in these areas. In 2012, the Group achieved net sales of USD 56.7 billion, while R&D throughout the Group amounted to approximately USD 9.3 billion (USD 9.1 billion excluding impairment and amortization charges). Novartis Group companies employ approximately 133,000 full-time equivalent associates and operate in more than 140 countries around the world. For more information, please visit www.novartis.com.
™Ultibro is a trademark of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
®Onbrez, Seebri and Breezhaler are registered trademarks of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
- Ultibro™ Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Bateman ED et al. Dual bronchodilation with QVA149 versus single bronchodilator therapy: the SHINE study. European Respiratory Journal http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/early/2013/05/30/09031936.00200212.full.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Vogelmeier C et al. Efficacy and safety of once-daily QVA149 compared with twice-daily salmeterol/fluticasone in patients with COPD (ILLUMINATE): a randomised, double-blind, parallel group study. Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2013;1(1): 51-60.
- Wedzicha JA et al. Analysis of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Exacerbations with the Dual Bronchodilator QVA149 Compared with Glycopyrronium and Tiotropium (SPARK): a Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel-group Study. Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2013;1(3): 199-209.
- Beeh et al. QVA149 once daily improves exercise tolerance and lung function in patients with COPD: the BRIGHT study. [BTS Winter Meeting 2012, Poster presentation P191; Date: 6 December; Time: 16:00-17:30].
- Dahl et al. 2012. QVA administered once daily provides significant improvements in lung function over 1 year in patients with COPD: The ENLIGHTEN study. Volume abstract 853405.
- Mahler D et al. Superior lung function with once-daily QVA149 translates into improvements in patient reported breathlessness compared with placebo and tiotropium in COPD patients: the BLAZE study. [ATS abstract 45308; Session C20; Date: May 21, 2013 Time: 8:15-10:45].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Long Term Safety and Tolerability of QVA149 Versus Tiotropium in Japanese Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (ARISE). [Online] Available at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01285492?term=%28ARISE%29&rank=4 . [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Comparison of Safety and Efficacy of the Combination Product QVA149A Against the Concurrent Administration of the Individual Components, QAB149 and NVA237, in Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (BEACON). [Online] Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01529632?term=BEACON&rank=6. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Comparison of Long-term Safety of the Combination Product QVA149A Against Placebo and Standard of Care Treatment in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients With Moderate to Severe Airflow Limitation (RADIATE). [Online] Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01610037?term=GLISTEN&rank=1 .[Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. A 26-week Treatment Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy, Parallel-group Study to Assess the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of QVA149 (Indacaterol / Glycopyrronium Bromide) Compared to Fluticasone/Salmeterol in Patients With Moderate to Severe Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. [Online]. Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01709903?id=01709903&rank=1. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrial.gov, n.d. A 52-week Treatment, Multi-center, Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy, Parallel-group, Active Controlled Study to Compare the Effect of QVA149 (Indacaterol Maleate / Glycopyrronium Bromide) With Salmeterol/Futicasone on the Rate of Exacerbations in Subjects With Moderate to Very Severe COPD (FLAME). [Online] Available at: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01782326?term=COPD+novartis+52&rank=2 .[Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Vogelmeier C et al. Once-daily QVA149 provides clinically meaningful improvements in lung function and clinical outcomes. [ERS abstract 851178; Session 82; Date: September 8, 2013 Time: 12:50-14:40].
- Banerji D et al. Dual bronchodilation with once-daily QVA149 improves dyspnea and health status and reduces symptoms and rescue medication use in patients with COPD: the IGNITE trials. [ERS abstract 851388; Session 346; Date: September 10 2013 Time: 8:30-10:30].
- Onbrez® Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Seebri® Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Global Alliance Against Chronic Respiratory Diseases (GARD). Global surveillance, prevention and control of chronic respiratory diseases: a comprehensive approach. Available at: http://www.who.int/gard/publications/GARD%20Book%202007.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Updated 2013. http://www.goldcopd.org/guidelines-global-strategy-for-diagnosis-management.html. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- FDA Access Data, n.d.Spiriva Medical Review Part 2. [Online] Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2004/21-395_Spiriva.cfm. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- FDA Access Data, 2003.Advair Medical Review. [Online] Available at: www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2003/021077_S003_ADVAIR_DISKUS.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Welte T et al. QVA149 once daily is safe and well tolerated in patients with COPD: the SHINE study. [ATS abstract 41616; Session A43; Date: May 19, 2013, 8:15-16.30].
- Joshi M et al. Symptom burden in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cancer. Obstructive, occupational and environmental diseases. 2012;18 (2).
- Fletcher MJ et al. COPD Uncovered: An International survey on the impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) on a working age population. BMC Public Health 2011; 11:612.
- PHAC. Fast facts about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) 2011. Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cd-mc/publications/copd-mpoc/ff-rr-2011-eng.php. Accessed September 3, 2013
SOURCE Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,639
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 991
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 1,926
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 1,751
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 810
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 6, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 1,844
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 847
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,886
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,196
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 4,584
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 894
SaaS companies can greatly expand revenue potential by pushing beyond their own borders. The challenge is how to do this without degrading service quality. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Adam Rogers, Managing Director at Anexia, discussed how IaaS providers with a global presence and both virtual and dedicated infrastructure can help companies expand their service footprint with low “go-to-market” costs.
Dec. 5, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 4,308
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 5, 2016 10:45 PM EST Reads: 2,078
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 5, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 1,059
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 5, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 987