|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2014 02:37 PM EST||
- Ultibro™ Breezhaler®1 (QVA149), a long-term once-daily dual bronchodilator, received Health Canada approval on December 23rd 2013 for the treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Pivotal Phase III IGNITE data showed QVA149 significantly improved lung function and patient-reported outcomes including breathlessness and rescue medication use, compared to current standards of care2,3,4
DORVAL, QC, Jan. 13, 2014 /CNW/ - Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. (Novartis) announced today that Health Canada has approved the use of long-term once-daily dual bronchodilator Ultibro™ Breezhaler® (indacaterol 110 mcg / glycopyrronium 50 mcg) as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
"The availability of ULTIBRO® BREEZHALER® is good news for my patients with COPD who struggle with disabling breathlessness as they attempt simple everyday tasks." says Dr. Kenneth Chapman, Director, Asthma & Airway Centre of the University Health Network, located in Toronto. "A new treatment option that improves lung function and relieves breathlessness around the clock following just one inhalation is a welcome advance."
Health Canada approved Ultibro™ Breezhaler® based on five studies from the IGNITE clinical program (SHINE2, ILLUMINATE3, SPARK4, BRIGHT5 and ENLIGHTEN6 studies). These studies showed that QVA149 provided rapid and sustained improvements in lung function, and significantly reduced shortness of breath. These improvements were maintained throughout the duration of the trials13,14. The IGNITE clinical program is one of the largest international phase III clinical trial programs in COPD, with 11 trials in total and more than 10 000 patients involved. 2-12
Ultibro™ Breezhaler® is a fixed-dose combination (FDC) of two bronchodilators, Onbrez® Breezhaler®15 (indacaterol maleate), a long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist (LABA) and Seebri® Breezhaler®16 (glycopyrronium bromide), a long-acting anticholinergic (LAAC). Both are currently used by healthcare professionals as individual therapies to treat COPD in Canada.
"COPD is known to affect an estimated 210 million people worldwide17 and is projected to be the third leading cause of death by 202018. Several patients find COPD symptoms really tough to cope with - even if they're already taking treatment," said Dr. Riad Sherif, President of Novartis. "With the approval of Ultibro™ Breezhaler®, Novartis is pleased that Health Canada recognizes the efficacy of dual therapy, which has the potential to make a real difference for those with COPD."
About the IGNITE clinical trial program
In the Phase III IGNITE clinical trial program, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® (QVA149) was investigated for the treatment of COPD patients as an inhaled FDC of indacaterol maleate and glycopyrronium bromide. IGNITE is one of the largest international clinical trial programs in COPD comprising 11 studies in total (ILLUMINATE, SHINE, BRIGHT, ENLIGHTEN, SPARK, BLAZE, ARISE, BEACON, RADIATE, LANTERN, FLAME) with more than 10,000* patients across 52 countries2-12,19,20. The first eight studies (ILLUMINATE, SHINE, BRIGHT, ENLIGHTEN, SPARK, BLAZE, ARISE, BEACON) completed in 2012. The studies are designed to investigate the efficacy, safety and tolerability, lung function, exercise endurance, exacerbations, shortness of breath and quality of life in patients treated with QVA149.
Results from the Phase III IGNITE trials2-12 demonstrated statistically significant improvements in bronchodilation with Ultibro™ Breezhaler® versus placebo. Data showed that Ultibro™ Breezhaler® significantly improved bronchodilation providing a rapid onset and sustained bronchodilation during a 24-hour period which was maintained for up to 26 weeks21. In the IGNITE Phase III trial program, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® also showed symptomatic improvements versus placebo in COPD patients2,4,5,13. These symptomatic improvements included shortness of breath, exercise tolerance, rescue medication use and health-related quality of life2,4,5,13.
In clinical studies, Ultibro™ Breezhaler® demonstrated an acceptable safety profile with no meaningful differences between the treatment groups in the incidence of adverse and serious adverse events2,3,4,5,21. The most common adverse drug reactions related to Ultibro™ Breezhaler® were cough and oropharyngeal pain1.
*Total refers to all 11 IGNITE studies.
About the Novartis COPD portfolio
Novartis is committed to addressing the unmet medical needs of patients with respiratory diseases and improving their quality of life by providing innovative medicines and devices.
Available in Canada, Onbrez® Breezhaler® (indacaterol maleate) 75 mcg is a long-acting β2-agonist (LABA) indicated for long-term maintenance bronchodilator treatment of airflow obstruction in patients with COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema15.
Also approved for use in Canada, once-daily Seebri® Breezhaler® (glycopyrronium bromide) 50 mcg is a novel inhaled long-acting anticholinergic (LAAC; also referred to as a long-acting muscarinic antagonist) indicated as a maintenance bronchodilator treatment in patients with COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema16.
COPD is a progressive life-threatening disease that makes it hard to breathe, with symptoms that have a destructive impact on patients' function and quality of life18,22. It affects an estimated 210 million people worldwide17 and is projected to be the third leading cause of death by 202018.
COPD is often considered to be a disease of later years, but estimates suggest that 50% of those with COPD are now less than 65 years old, resulting in increases in absenteeism, premature retirement and reductions in workforce participation23.
In Canada, 2009-2010 estimates show that 4% of Canadians aged 35 and older are affected. Cigarette smoking is the principal cause, accounting for 80% of COPD deaths24.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc., a leader in the healthcare field, is committed to the discovery, development and marketing of innovative products to improve the well-being of all Canadians. In 2012, the company invested close to $100 million in research and development in Canada. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. employs more than 600 people in Canada. For further information, please consult www.novartis.ca.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. is an affiliate of Novartis AG, which provides innovative healthcare solutions that address the evolving needs of patients and societies. Headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, Novartis offers a diversified portfolio to best meet these needs: innovative medicines, eye care, cost-saving generic pharmaceuticals, preventive vaccines and diagnostic tools, over-the-counter and animal health products. Novartis is the only global company with leading positions in these areas. In 2012, the Group achieved net sales of USD 56.7 billion, while R&D throughout the Group amounted to approximately USD 9.3 billion (USD 9.1 billion excluding impairment and amortization charges). Novartis Group companies employ approximately 133,000 full-time equivalent associates and operate in more than 140 countries around the world. For more information, please visit www.novartis.com.
™Ultibro is a trademark of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
®Onbrez, Seebri and Breezhaler are registered trademarks of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
- Ultibro™ Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Bateman ED et al. Dual bronchodilation with QVA149 versus single bronchodilator therapy: the SHINE study. European Respiratory Journal http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/early/2013/05/30/09031936.00200212.full.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Vogelmeier C et al. Efficacy and safety of once-daily QVA149 compared with twice-daily salmeterol/fluticasone in patients with COPD (ILLUMINATE): a randomised, double-blind, parallel group study. Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2013;1(1): 51-60.
- Wedzicha JA et al. Analysis of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Exacerbations with the Dual Bronchodilator QVA149 Compared with Glycopyrronium and Tiotropium (SPARK): a Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel-group Study. Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2013;1(3): 199-209.
- Beeh et al. QVA149 once daily improves exercise tolerance and lung function in patients with COPD: the BRIGHT study. [BTS Winter Meeting 2012, Poster presentation P191; Date: 6 December; Time: 16:00-17:30].
- Dahl et al. 2012. QVA administered once daily provides significant improvements in lung function over 1 year in patients with COPD: The ENLIGHTEN study. Volume abstract 853405.
- Mahler D et al. Superior lung function with once-daily QVA149 translates into improvements in patient reported breathlessness compared with placebo and tiotropium in COPD patients: the BLAZE study. [ATS abstract 45308; Session C20; Date: May 21, 2013 Time: 8:15-10:45].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Long Term Safety and Tolerability of QVA149 Versus Tiotropium in Japanese Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (ARISE). [Online] Available at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01285492?term=%28ARISE%29&rank=4 . [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Comparison of Safety and Efficacy of the Combination Product QVA149A Against the Concurrent Administration of the Individual Components, QAB149 and NVA237, in Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (BEACON). [Online] Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01529632?term=BEACON&rank=6. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. Comparison of Long-term Safety of the Combination Product QVA149A Against Placebo and Standard of Care Treatment in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients With Moderate to Severe Airflow Limitation (RADIATE). [Online] Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01610037?term=GLISTEN&rank=1 .[Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrials.gov, n.d. A 26-week Treatment Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy, Parallel-group Study to Assess the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of QVA149 (Indacaterol / Glycopyrronium Bromide) Compared to Fluticasone/Salmeterol in Patients With Moderate to Severe Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. [Online]. Available at: www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01709903?id=01709903&rank=1. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- ClinicalTrial.gov, n.d. A 52-week Treatment, Multi-center, Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy, Parallel-group, Active Controlled Study to Compare the Effect of QVA149 (Indacaterol Maleate / Glycopyrronium Bromide) With Salmeterol/Futicasone on the Rate of Exacerbations in Subjects With Moderate to Very Severe COPD (FLAME). [Online] Available at: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01782326?term=COPD+novartis+52&rank=2 .[Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Vogelmeier C et al. Once-daily QVA149 provides clinically meaningful improvements in lung function and clinical outcomes. [ERS abstract 851178; Session 82; Date: September 8, 2013 Time: 12:50-14:40].
- Banerji D et al. Dual bronchodilation with once-daily QVA149 improves dyspnea and health status and reduces symptoms and rescue medication use in patients with COPD: the IGNITE trials. [ERS abstract 851388; Session 346; Date: September 10 2013 Time: 8:30-10:30].
- Onbrez® Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Seebri® Breezhaler® Product Monograph, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc
- Global Alliance Against Chronic Respiratory Diseases (GARD). Global surveillance, prevention and control of chronic respiratory diseases: a comprehensive approach. Available at: http://www.who.int/gard/publications/GARD%20Book%202007.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Updated 2013. http://www.goldcopd.org/guidelines-global-strategy-for-diagnosis-management.html. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- FDA Access Data, n.d.Spiriva Medical Review Part 2. [Online] Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2004/21-395_Spiriva.cfm. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- FDA Access Data, 2003.Advair Medical Review. [Online] Available at: www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2003/021077_S003_ADVAIR_DISKUS.pdf. [Accessed 3 September 2013].
- Welte T et al. QVA149 once daily is safe and well tolerated in patients with COPD: the SHINE study. [ATS abstract 41616; Session A43; Date: May 19, 2013, 8:15-16.30].
- Joshi M et al. Symptom burden in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cancer. Obstructive, occupational and environmental diseases. 2012;18 (2).
- Fletcher MJ et al. COPD Uncovered: An International survey on the impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) on a working age population. BMC Public Health 2011; 11:612.
- PHAC. Fast facts about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) 2011. Available from: www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cd-mc/publications/copd-mpoc/ff-rr-2011-eng.php. Accessed September 3, 2013
SOURCE Novartis Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Feb. 7, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 136
Father business cycles and digital consumers are forcing enterprises to respond faster to customer needs and competitive demands. Successful integration of DevOps and Agile development will be key for business success in today’s digital economy. In his session at DevOps Summit, Pradeep Prabhu, Co-Founder & CEO of Cloudmunch, covered the critical practices that enterprises should consider to seamlessly integrate Agile and DevOps processes, barriers to implementing this in the enterprise, and pr...
Feb. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 314
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 185
The principles behind DevOps are not new - for decades people have been automating system administration and decreasing the time to deploy apps and perform other management tasks. However, only recently did we see the tools and the will necessary to share the benefits and power of automation with a wider circle of people. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bernard Sanders, Chief Technology Officer at CloudBolt Software, explored the latest tools including Puppet, Chef, Docker, and CMPs needed to...
Feb. 7, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 257
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 7, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 370
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, will provide an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profes...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 138
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 555
One of the bewildering things about DevOps is integrating the massive toolchain including the dozens of new tools that seem to crop up every year. Part of DevOps is Continuous Delivery and having a complex toolchain can add additional integration and setup to your developer environment. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Miko Matsumura, Chief Marketing Officer of Gradle Inc., will discuss which tools to use in a developer stack, how to provision the toolchain to minimize onboa...
Feb. 7, 2016 02:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 360
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 182
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 149
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
Feb. 7, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 331
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 343
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 7, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 127