|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2014 05:28 PM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- National League of Cities President Chris Coleman, mayor, Saint Paul, Minn. today announced his 2014 leadership team for the organization's policy committees and advisory councils. All chairs and vice chairs are appointed by Mayor Coleman to serve a one-year term on NLC's Policy and Advocacy Committees, Member Networking Councils and other NLC advisory groups.
"I look forward to working with all of the 2014 committee and council leaders. They bring a wealth of experience advocating for communities across the country and will provide vital leadership to NLC's activities on behalf of cities in the coming year," said NLC President Chris Coleman.
"This is a critical time for cities. Cities are America's centers of innovation, driving economic growth and solving problems at a local level even as Washington remains in gridlock. As we recover from the recession, I look forward to working with NLC's committee and council leaders for direction on how cities can continue to lead and help make America strong," added Coleman.
2014 NLC Committee/Councils Leadership Appointments
Community and Economic Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Lavonta Williams, councilmember, Wichita, Kan.
- Vice Chair – Mike Wojcik, councilmember, Rochester, Minn.
- Vice Chair – Craig Thurmond, mayor, Broken Arrow, Okla.
Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Bill Peloza, councilmember, Auburn, Wash.
- Vice Chair – Cindy Lerner, mayor, Pinecrest, Fla.
- Vice Chair – Cindy Circo, councilmember, Kansas City, Mo.
Finance, Administration and Intergovernmental Relations Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Sarah Levison, councilmember, Longmont, Colo.
- Vice Chair – Cynthia Mangini, councilmember, Enfield, Conn.
- Vice Chair – Andy Hafen, mayor, Henderson, Nev.
Human Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Vicki Welch, councilmember, Louisville, Ky.
- Vice Chair – Mia Gregerson, deputy mayor, Seatac, Wash.
- Vice Chair – Angelia Williams, councilmember, Norfolk, Va.
Information Technology and Communications Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Beth Humenik, councilmember, Thornton, Colo.
- Vice Chair – Jeffrey Quibell, councilmember, Blue Springs, Mo.
- Vice Chair – Phil Goldstein, councilmember, Marietta, Ga.
Public Safety and Crime Prevention Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Scott Somers, vice mayor, Mesa, Ariz.
- Vice Chair – Karen Freeman-Wilson, mayor, Gary, Ind.
- Vice Chair – Scott Maddox, commissioner, Tallahassee, Fla.
Transportation and Infrastructure Services Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Patsy Kinsey, councilmember, Charlotte, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Robert Bauman, alderman, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Vice Chair – Mary McComber, mayor, Oak Park Heights, Minn.
Large Cities Council
- Chair – Jim Davis, councilmember, Sunnyvale, Calif.
- Vice Chair – Karen Johnson, councilmember, Nashville, Tenn.
- Vice Chair – Latasha Thomas, alderman, Chicago, Ill.
First Tier Suburbs Council
- Chair – Corey Rushton, councilmember, West Valley City, Utah
- Vice Chair – Stan Koci, councilmember, Bedford, Ohio
- Vice Chair – Gary Sherwood, councilmember, Glendale, Ariz.
Small Cities Council
- Chair – Stuart Gillaspie, mayor pro tem, Burleson, Texas
- Vice Chair – Joe Shumway, councilmember, Laramie, Wyo.
Universities Communities Council
- Chair – Peter Haga, government relations, Grand Forks, N.D.
- Vice Chair – Amy Marie Vizzo-Paniccia, councilmember, Bridgeport, Conn.
- Vice Chair – Alice Rodriguez, councilmember, Waco, Texas
- Chair – Sheri Lauritano, councilmember, Goodyear, Ariz.
- Vice Chair – Don Rosen, commissioner, Sunrise, Fla.
- Chair – Darryl Moss, mayor, Creedmoor, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Matt Zone, councilmember, Cleveland, Ohio
- Vice Chair – Mark Mitchell, mayor, Tempe, Ariz.
Council on Youth, Education and Families
- Chair – Karl Nurse, councilmember, St Petersburg, Fla.
- Vice Chair – Kristin Szakos, vice mayor, Charlottesville, Va.
Corporate Partners Leadership Council
- Chair – Alex Hannah, vice president, Marketing Communications and Education, ICMA-RC
- Vice Chair – Laraine Davis, vice president, Community Development, Wells Fargo
Military Communities Council
- Chair – Martha Sue Hall, councilmember, Albemarle, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Arturo Pecos, city commissioner, Kingsville, Texas
- Vice Chair – Ron Garcia, mayor, Brea, Calif.
Legal Advisory Committee
- Chair – Bennett Sandlin, state league director, Texas Municipal League
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.
SOURCE National League of Cities
The APN DevOps Competency highlights APN Partners who demonstrate deep capabilities delivering continuous integration, continuous delivery, and configuration management. They help customers transform their business to be more efficient and agile by leveraging the AWS platform and DevOps principles.
Oct. 7, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 103
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, will discuss the impact of technology on identity....
Oct. 7, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 421
As the world moves towards more DevOps and microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Raghavan "Rags" Srinivas, an Architect/Developer Evangeli...
Oct. 7, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 124
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/...
Oct. 7, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 138
NHK, Japan Broadcasting will feature upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special IoT documentary which will be filmed on the expo floor November 3 to 5, 2015 in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to BBC in UK and the largest in Asia with many award winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley. The program will be aired during the highest viewership season of ...
Oct. 7, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 105
SYS-CON Events announced today that Key Information Systems, Inc. (KeyInfo), a leading cloud and infrastructure provider offering integrated solutions to enterprises, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Key Information Systems is a leading regional systems integrator with world-class compute, storage and networking solutions and professional services for the most advanced softwa...
Oct. 7, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 345
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, will look at di...
Oct. 7, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 515
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Oct. 7, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 741
WebRTC converts the entire network into a ubiquitous communications cloud thereby connecting anytime, anywhere through any point. In his session at WebRTC Summit,, Mark Castleman, EIR at Bell Labs and Head of Future X Labs, will discuss how the transformational nature of communications is achieved through the democratizing force of WebRTC. WebRTC is doing for voice what HTML did for web content.
Oct. 7, 2015 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,336
SYS-CON Events announced today that Luxoft Holding, Inc., a leading provider of software development services and innovative IT solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Luxoft’s software development services consist of core and mission-critical custom software development and support, product engineering and testing, and technology consulting.
Oct. 7, 2015 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 557
In today's digital world, change is the one constant. Disruptive innovations like cloud, mobility, social media, and the Internet of Things have reshaped the market and set new standards in customer expectations. To remain competitive, businesses must tap the potential of emerging technologies and markets through the rapid release of new products and services. However, the rigid and siloed structures of traditional IT platforms and processes are slowing them down – resulting in lengthy delivery ...
Oct. 7, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 982
According to Forrester, public cloud platforms are evolving, blurring the lines between Software as a Service (SaaS), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), and Platform as a Service (PaaS) in order to satisfy the needs of enterprises and widen their appeal to developers. In The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Public Cloud Platforms, Q4 2014, Forrester evaluates the 16 most significant Enterprise Public Cloud Platforms and details how each vendor fulfills the 19 evaluation criteria points.
Oct. 7, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 825
The broad selection of hardware, the rapid evolution of operating systems and the time-to-market for mobile apps has been so rapid that new challenges for developers and engineers arise every day. Security, testing, hosting, and other metrics have to be considered through the process. In his session at Big Data Expo, Walter Maguire, Chief Field Technologist, HP Big Data Group, at Hewlett-Packard, will discuss the challenges faced by developers and a composite Big Data applications builder, foc...
Oct. 7, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 452
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 7, 2015 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 457
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Oct. 7, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 386