|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2014 05:28 PM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- National League of Cities President Chris Coleman, mayor, Saint Paul, Minn. today announced his 2014 leadership team for the organization's policy committees and advisory councils. All chairs and vice chairs are appointed by Mayor Coleman to serve a one-year term on NLC's Policy and Advocacy Committees, Member Networking Councils and other NLC advisory groups.
"I look forward to working with all of the 2014 committee and council leaders. They bring a wealth of experience advocating for communities across the country and will provide vital leadership to NLC's activities on behalf of cities in the coming year," said NLC President Chris Coleman.
"This is a critical time for cities. Cities are America's centers of innovation, driving economic growth and solving problems at a local level even as Washington remains in gridlock. As we recover from the recession, I look forward to working with NLC's committee and council leaders for direction on how cities can continue to lead and help make America strong," added Coleman.
2014 NLC Committee/Councils Leadership Appointments
Community and Economic Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Lavonta Williams, councilmember, Wichita, Kan.
- Vice Chair – Mike Wojcik, councilmember, Rochester, Minn.
- Vice Chair – Craig Thurmond, mayor, Broken Arrow, Okla.
Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Bill Peloza, councilmember, Auburn, Wash.
- Vice Chair – Cindy Lerner, mayor, Pinecrest, Fla.
- Vice Chair – Cindy Circo, councilmember, Kansas City, Mo.
Finance, Administration and Intergovernmental Relations Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Sarah Levison, councilmember, Longmont, Colo.
- Vice Chair – Cynthia Mangini, councilmember, Enfield, Conn.
- Vice Chair – Andy Hafen, mayor, Henderson, Nev.
Human Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Vicki Welch, councilmember, Louisville, Ky.
- Vice Chair – Mia Gregerson, deputy mayor, Seatac, Wash.
- Vice Chair – Angelia Williams, councilmember, Norfolk, Va.
Information Technology and Communications Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Beth Humenik, councilmember, Thornton, Colo.
- Vice Chair – Jeffrey Quibell, councilmember, Blue Springs, Mo.
- Vice Chair – Phil Goldstein, councilmember, Marietta, Ga.
Public Safety and Crime Prevention Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Scott Somers, vice mayor, Mesa, Ariz.
- Vice Chair – Karen Freeman-Wilson, mayor, Gary, Ind.
- Vice Chair – Scott Maddox, commissioner, Tallahassee, Fla.
Transportation and Infrastructure Services Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Patsy Kinsey, councilmember, Charlotte, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Robert Bauman, alderman, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Vice Chair – Mary McComber, mayor, Oak Park Heights, Minn.
Large Cities Council
- Chair – Jim Davis, councilmember, Sunnyvale, Calif.
- Vice Chair – Karen Johnson, councilmember, Nashville, Tenn.
- Vice Chair – Latasha Thomas, alderman, Chicago, Ill.
First Tier Suburbs Council
- Chair – Corey Rushton, councilmember, West Valley City, Utah
- Vice Chair – Stan Koci, councilmember, Bedford, Ohio
- Vice Chair – Gary Sherwood, councilmember, Glendale, Ariz.
Small Cities Council
- Chair – Stuart Gillaspie, mayor pro tem, Burleson, Texas
- Vice Chair – Joe Shumway, councilmember, Laramie, Wyo.
Universities Communities Council
- Chair – Peter Haga, government relations, Grand Forks, N.D.
- Vice Chair – Amy Marie Vizzo-Paniccia, councilmember, Bridgeport, Conn.
- Vice Chair – Alice Rodriguez, councilmember, Waco, Texas
- Chair – Sheri Lauritano, councilmember, Goodyear, Ariz.
- Vice Chair – Don Rosen, commissioner, Sunrise, Fla.
- Chair – Darryl Moss, mayor, Creedmoor, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Matt Zone, councilmember, Cleveland, Ohio
- Vice Chair – Mark Mitchell, mayor, Tempe, Ariz.
Council on Youth, Education and Families
- Chair – Karl Nurse, councilmember, St Petersburg, Fla.
- Vice Chair – Kristin Szakos, vice mayor, Charlottesville, Va.
Corporate Partners Leadership Council
- Chair – Alex Hannah, vice president, Marketing Communications and Education, ICMA-RC
- Vice Chair – Laraine Davis, vice president, Community Development, Wells Fargo
Military Communities Council
- Chair – Martha Sue Hall, councilmember, Albemarle, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Arturo Pecos, city commissioner, Kingsville, Texas
- Vice Chair – Ron Garcia, mayor, Brea, Calif.
Legal Advisory Committee
- Chair – Bennett Sandlin, state league director, Texas Municipal League
The National League of Cities (NLC) is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.
SOURCE National League of Cities
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Feb. 26, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,765
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, vice president of DevOps Product and Solutions Marketing at CA Technologies, has been named co-conference chair of DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017. The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley will take place Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 26, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,164
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Feb. 26, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,985
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Feb. 26, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,777
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Feb. 26, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 522
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develop...
Feb. 26, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 6,369
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Feb. 26, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,994
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Feb. 26, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 6,666
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business. Though, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected with a majority of IoT projects having failed. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, Chief IoTologist at Wipro, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology portfolios and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will delve in...
Feb. 26, 2017 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,755
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Steve Wilkes, CTO and founder of Striim, will delve into four enterprise-scale, business-critical case studies where streaming analytics serves as the key to enabling real-time data integration and right-time insights in hybrid cloud, IoT, and fog computing environments. As part of this discussion, he will also present a demo based on its partnership with Fujitsu, highlighting their technologies in a healthcare IoT use-case. The demo showcases the tracking of patie...
Feb. 26, 2017 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,308
DevOps and microservices are permeating software engineering teams broadly, whether these teams are in pure software shops but happen to run a business, such Uber and Airbnb, or in companies that rely heavily on software to run more traditional business, such as financial firms or high-end manufacturers. Microservices and DevOps have created software development and therefore business speed and agility benefits, but they have also created problems; specifically, they have created software securi...
Feb. 26, 2017 11:00 AM EST Reads: 4,083
In today's enterprise, digital transformation represents organizational change even more so than technology change, as customer preferences and behavior drive end-to-end transformation across lines of business as well as IT. To capitalize on the ubiquitous disruption driving this transformation, companies must be able to innovate at an increasingly rapid pace. Traditional approaches for driving innovation are now woefully inadequate for keeping up with the breadth of disruption and change facing...
Feb. 26, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 8,107
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you...
Feb. 26, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,396
Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016.Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere, IT is empowered to take control of their data ce...
Feb. 26, 2017 10:15 AM EST Reads: 1,464
Addteq is one of the top 10 Platinum Atlassian Experts who specialize in DevOps, custom and continuous integration, automation, plugin development, and consulting for midsize and global firms. Addteq firmly believes that automation is essential for successful software releases. Addteq centers its products and services around this fundamentally unique approach to delivering complete software release management solutions. With a combination of Addteq's services and our extensive list of partners,...
Feb. 26, 2017 10:15 AM EST Reads: 833