|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2014 01:30 AM EST||
SEATTLE, Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (CTI) (NASDAQ and MTA: CTIC) today announced a corporate update for 2014 in addition to an overview of recent progress for its drug portfolio.
"We ended 2013 and have entered 2014 with a series of successes, including a global strategic partnership for pacritinib, positive reimbursement rulings in England/Wales and Germany for PIXUVRI, the reacquisition of rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio in order to allow us to more efficiently move these programs forward and new positive interim data for tosedostat," said James A. Bianco, M.D. President and CEO of CTI. "We expect to continue that momentum with completion of the first of two Phase 3 clinical trials of pacritinib in myelofibrosis and potential topline data later in the year."
- In November 2013, CTI entered into a worldwide license agreement with Baxter International, Inc. (Baxter) to develop and commercialize pacritinib in which CTI and Baxter will jointly commercialize pacritinib in the United States and Baxter has exclusive commercialization rights for all indications outside the U.S.
- The Phase 3 PERSIST-1 trial evaluating a broad set of myelofibrosis patients without limitations on blood platelet counts is currently enrolling patients. CTI expects to report topline data in the second half of 2014.
- A second Phase 3 trial, PERSIST-2, in myelofibrosis patients with low platelet counts is expected to begin enrollment imminently. In October 2013, CTI reached agreement with the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a Special Protocol Assessment for this trial. This trial together with PERSIST-1 is intended to support registration in the U.S. and the European Union.
- In December 2013, CTI received positive recommendations for funding and reimbursement from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in England/Wales and the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds (GKV-Spitzenverband) in Germany.
- CTI has gained agreement from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to change the primary endpoint of the Phase 3 PIX-R, or PIX306, post-marketing commitment study of pixantrone-rituximab versus gemcitabine-rituximab for patients with relapsed B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) from overall survival to progression-free survival. The trial is now expected to enroll 220 patients versus the 350 patients previously planned. This trial is expected to complete enrollment in 2015 and is intended to support the conversion of the conditional approval for PIXUVRI in Europe to full approval and potentially support a registration application in the U.S.
- In January 2014, CTI received notification from the FDA that the partial clinical hold has been removed and all studies underway may continue. Current investigator-sponsored trials are scheduled to resume in the first quarter of 2014.
- In December 2013, researchers presented new positive interim results from the investigator-initiated Phase 2 trial of tosedostat in combination with cytarabine or decitabine in newly diagnosed older patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) at the 55th American Society of Hematology annual meeting. Results showed a 54 percent complete response rate and 12-month median survival in this first-line setting.
Corporate and Financial
- In January 2014, CTI reached an agreement with Novartis to regain rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio, providing CTI with the flexibility to manage these assets within the context of its overall product portfolio strategy.
- CTI will provide 2014 financial guidance in its fourth quarter and year-end 2013 results announcement. At this time, we anticipate that the up-front payment and anticipated near-term milestones related to the Baxter collaboration will potentially allow CTI to reach regulatory submissions for pacritinib without requiring additional equity financing to fund such activities.
2014 Corporate Milestones
- Initiate second Phase 3 trial. CTI expects to initiate PERSIST-2 for patients with myelofibrosis who have low platelet counts in early 2014.
- Report topline results. CTI anticipates reporting topline results for PERSIST-1 in the second half of 2014.
- Initiation of investigator-sponsored trials. CTI is evaluating additional indications and expects to support the initiation of investigator-sponsored trials, including in AML, at leading centers in 2014.
- Grow E.U. sales. CTI intends to focus on PIXUVRI for multiply relapsed or refractory aggressive relapsed B-cell NHL and manage expenses to drive to future profitability.
- Seek rest-of-world partner. CTI intends to pursue a partner for commercializing PIXUVRI outside of Western Europe.
- Complete enrollment. CTI expects the GOG-0212 Phase 3 maintenance therapy trial for patients with ovarian cancer to complete enrollment in the first quarter 2014.
About Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
CTI (NASDAQ and MTA: CTIC) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to the development and commercialization of an integrated portfolio of oncology products aimed at making cancer more treatable. CTI is headquartered in Seattle, WA. For additional information and to sign up for email alerts and get RSS feeds, please visit www.CellTherapeutics.com.
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, the outcome of which could materially and/or adversely affect actual future results and the trading price of CTI's securities. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding CTI's expectations with respect to the development of CTI and its product and product candidate portfolio, and expectations concerning the benefits of the reacquisition of rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio, the anticipated completion of the first of two Phase 3 clinical trials of pacritinib in myelofibrosis, potential release of topline data for pacritinib later in 2014, enrollment projections and expected outcome of the Phase 3 PIX-R, or PIX306, post-marketing commitment study, liquidity and expense projections, projected initiation of each of PERSIST-2 for patients with myelofibrosis who have low platelet counts in early 2014 and investigator-sponsored trials, including in acute myeloid leukemia (AML), and enrollment projections with respect to the GOG-0212 Phase 3 maintenance therapy trial at leading centers in 2014. Risks that contribute to the uncertain nature of the forward-looking statements include, among others, risks associated with the biopharmaceutical industry in general and with CTI and its product and product candidate portfolio in particular including, among others, risks associated with the following: that CTI cannot predict or guarantee the pace or geography of enrollment of its clinical trials, that CTI cannot predict or guarantee the outcome of preclinical and clinical studies, that CTI may not obtain favorable determinations by other regulatory, patent and administrative governmental authorities, that CTI may experience delays in the commencement of preclinical and clinical studies, risks related to the costs of developing pacritinib and CTI's other product candidates, and other risks, including, without limitation, competitive factors, technological developments, that CTI's operating expenses continue to exceed its net revenues, that CTI may not be able to sustain its current cost controls or further reduce its operating expenses, that CTI may not achieve previously announced goals and objectives as or when projected, that CTI's average net operating burn rate may increase, that CTI will continue to need to raise capital to fund its operating expenses, but may not be able to raise sufficient amounts to fund its continued operation as well as other risks listed or described from time to time in CTI's most recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K. Except as required by law, CTI does not intend to update any of the statements in this press release upon further developments.
SOURCE Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Feb. 21, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 2,236
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Feb. 21, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 6,835
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 21, 2017 03:54 PM EST Reads: 118
The financial services market is one of the most data-driven industries in the world, yet it’s bogged down by legacy CPU technologies that simply can’t keep up with the task of querying and visualizing billions of records. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jared Parker, Director of Financial Services at Kinetica, will discuss how the advent of advanced in-database analytics on the GPU makes it possible to run sophisticated data science workloads on the same database that is housing the rich inf...
Feb. 21, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,212
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the...
Feb. 21, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 4,472
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 21, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 750
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 21, 2017 03:00 PM EST Reads: 5,932
In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Mike Johnston, an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io, will discuss how to use Kubernetes to setup a SaaS infrastructure for your business. Mike Johnston is an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io with over 12 years of experience designing, deploying, and maintaining server and workstation infrastructure at all scales. He has experience with brick and mortar data centers as well as cloud providers like Digital Ocean, Amazon Web Services, and Rackspace....
Feb. 21, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 2,465
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 21, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,318
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 21, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 476
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including cloud...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,569
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 494
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life settle...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 772
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 1,098
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you...
Feb. 21, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,253