|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2014 01:30 AM EST||
SEATTLE, Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (CTI) (NASDAQ and MTA: CTIC) today announced a corporate update for 2014 in addition to an overview of recent progress for its drug portfolio.
"We ended 2013 and have entered 2014 with a series of successes, including a global strategic partnership for pacritinib, positive reimbursement rulings in England/Wales and Germany for PIXUVRI, the reacquisition of rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio in order to allow us to more efficiently move these programs forward and new positive interim data for tosedostat," said James A. Bianco, M.D. President and CEO of CTI. "We expect to continue that momentum with completion of the first of two Phase 3 clinical trials of pacritinib in myelofibrosis and potential topline data later in the year."
- In November 2013, CTI entered into a worldwide license agreement with Baxter International, Inc. (Baxter) to develop and commercialize pacritinib in which CTI and Baxter will jointly commercialize pacritinib in the United States and Baxter has exclusive commercialization rights for all indications outside the U.S.
- The Phase 3 PERSIST-1 trial evaluating a broad set of myelofibrosis patients without limitations on blood platelet counts is currently enrolling patients. CTI expects to report topline data in the second half of 2014.
- A second Phase 3 trial, PERSIST-2, in myelofibrosis patients with low platelet counts is expected to begin enrollment imminently. In October 2013, CTI reached agreement with the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a Special Protocol Assessment for this trial. This trial together with PERSIST-1 is intended to support registration in the U.S. and the European Union.
- In December 2013, CTI received positive recommendations for funding and reimbursement from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in England/Wales and the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds (GKV-Spitzenverband) in Germany.
- CTI has gained agreement from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to change the primary endpoint of the Phase 3 PIX-R, or PIX306, post-marketing commitment study of pixantrone-rituximab versus gemcitabine-rituximab for patients with relapsed B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) from overall survival to progression-free survival. The trial is now expected to enroll 220 patients versus the 350 patients previously planned. This trial is expected to complete enrollment in 2015 and is intended to support the conversion of the conditional approval for PIXUVRI in Europe to full approval and potentially support a registration application in the U.S.
- In January 2014, CTI received notification from the FDA that the partial clinical hold has been removed and all studies underway may continue. Current investigator-sponsored trials are scheduled to resume in the first quarter of 2014.
- In December 2013, researchers presented new positive interim results from the investigator-initiated Phase 2 trial of tosedostat in combination with cytarabine or decitabine in newly diagnosed older patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) at the 55th American Society of Hematology annual meeting. Results showed a 54 percent complete response rate and 12-month median survival in this first-line setting.
Corporate and Financial
- In January 2014, CTI reached an agreement with Novartis to regain rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio, providing CTI with the flexibility to manage these assets within the context of its overall product portfolio strategy.
- CTI will provide 2014 financial guidance in its fourth quarter and year-end 2013 results announcement. At this time, we anticipate that the up-front payment and anticipated near-term milestones related to the Baxter collaboration will potentially allow CTI to reach regulatory submissions for pacritinib without requiring additional equity financing to fund such activities.
2014 Corporate Milestones
- Initiate second Phase 3 trial. CTI expects to initiate PERSIST-2 for patients with myelofibrosis who have low platelet counts in early 2014.
- Report topline results. CTI anticipates reporting topline results for PERSIST-1 in the second half of 2014.
- Initiation of investigator-sponsored trials. CTI is evaluating additional indications and expects to support the initiation of investigator-sponsored trials, including in AML, at leading centers in 2014.
- Grow E.U. sales. CTI intends to focus on PIXUVRI for multiply relapsed or refractory aggressive relapsed B-cell NHL and manage expenses to drive to future profitability.
- Seek rest-of-world partner. CTI intends to pursue a partner for commercializing PIXUVRI outside of Western Europe.
- Complete enrollment. CTI expects the GOG-0212 Phase 3 maintenance therapy trial for patients with ovarian cancer to complete enrollment in the first quarter 2014.
About Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
CTI (NASDAQ and MTA: CTIC) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to the development and commercialization of an integrated portfolio of oncology products aimed at making cancer more treatable. CTI is headquartered in Seattle, WA. For additional information and to sign up for email alerts and get RSS feeds, please visit www.CellTherapeutics.com.
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, the outcome of which could materially and/or adversely affect actual future results and the trading price of CTI's securities. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding CTI's expectations with respect to the development of CTI and its product and product candidate portfolio, and expectations concerning the benefits of the reacquisition of rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio, the anticipated completion of the first of two Phase 3 clinical trials of pacritinib in myelofibrosis, potential release of topline data for pacritinib later in 2014, enrollment projections and expected outcome of the Phase 3 PIX-R, or PIX306, post-marketing commitment study, liquidity and expense projections, projected initiation of each of PERSIST-2 for patients with myelofibrosis who have low platelet counts in early 2014 and investigator-sponsored trials, including in acute myeloid leukemia (AML), and enrollment projections with respect to the GOG-0212 Phase 3 maintenance therapy trial at leading centers in 2014. Risks that contribute to the uncertain nature of the forward-looking statements include, among others, risks associated with the biopharmaceutical industry in general and with CTI and its product and product candidate portfolio in particular including, among others, risks associated with the following: that CTI cannot predict or guarantee the pace or geography of enrollment of its clinical trials, that CTI cannot predict or guarantee the outcome of preclinical and clinical studies, that CTI may not obtain favorable determinations by other regulatory, patent and administrative governmental authorities, that CTI may experience delays in the commencement of preclinical and clinical studies, risks related to the costs of developing pacritinib and CTI's other product candidates, and other risks, including, without limitation, competitive factors, technological developments, that CTI's operating expenses continue to exceed its net revenues, that CTI may not be able to sustain its current cost controls or further reduce its operating expenses, that CTI may not achieve previously announced goals and objectives as or when projected, that CTI's average net operating burn rate may increase, that CTI will continue to need to raise capital to fund its operating expenses, but may not be able to raise sufficient amounts to fund its continued operation as well as other risks listed or described from time to time in CTI's most recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K. Except as required by law, CTI does not intend to update any of the statements in this press release upon further developments.
SOURCE Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 26, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,550
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,545
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,596
Much of the value of DevOps comes from a (renewed) focus on measurement, sharing, and continuous feedback loops. In increasingly complex DevOps workflows and environments, and especially in larger, regulated, or more crystallized organizations, these core concepts become even more critical. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Andi Mann, Chief Technology Advocate at Splunk, showed how, by focusing on 'metrics that matter,' you can provide objective, transparent, and meaningful f...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,490
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,087
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,715
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,570
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,166
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,318
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,618
Creating replica copies to tolerate a certain number of failures is easy, but very expensive at cloud-scale. Conventional RAID has lower overhead, but it is limited in the number of failures it can tolerate. And the management is like herding cats (overseeing capacity, rebuilds, migrations, and degraded performance). Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing for the HGST Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, discusse...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,258
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,740
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,415
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,672
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said “No to LUNs.” With Tintri they mana...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,687