|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2014 01:30 AM EST||
SEATTLE, Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Cell Therapeutics, Inc. (CTI) (NASDAQ and MTA: CTIC) today announced a corporate update for 2014 in addition to an overview of recent progress for its drug portfolio.
"We ended 2013 and have entered 2014 with a series of successes, including a global strategic partnership for pacritinib, positive reimbursement rulings in England/Wales and Germany for PIXUVRI, the reacquisition of rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio in order to allow us to more efficiently move these programs forward and new positive interim data for tosedostat," said James A. Bianco, M.D. President and CEO of CTI. "We expect to continue that momentum with completion of the first of two Phase 3 clinical trials of pacritinib in myelofibrosis and potential topline data later in the year."
- In November 2013, CTI entered into a worldwide license agreement with Baxter International, Inc. (Baxter) to develop and commercialize pacritinib in which CTI and Baxter will jointly commercialize pacritinib in the United States and Baxter has exclusive commercialization rights for all indications outside the U.S.
- The Phase 3 PERSIST-1 trial evaluating a broad set of myelofibrosis patients without limitations on blood platelet counts is currently enrolling patients. CTI expects to report topline data in the second half of 2014.
- A second Phase 3 trial, PERSIST-2, in myelofibrosis patients with low platelet counts is expected to begin enrollment imminently. In October 2013, CTI reached agreement with the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on a Special Protocol Assessment for this trial. This trial together with PERSIST-1 is intended to support registration in the U.S. and the European Union.
- In December 2013, CTI received positive recommendations for funding and reimbursement from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in England/Wales and the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds (GKV-Spitzenverband) in Germany.
- CTI has gained agreement from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to change the primary endpoint of the Phase 3 PIX-R, or PIX306, post-marketing commitment study of pixantrone-rituximab versus gemcitabine-rituximab for patients with relapsed B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) from overall survival to progression-free survival. The trial is now expected to enroll 220 patients versus the 350 patients previously planned. This trial is expected to complete enrollment in 2015 and is intended to support the conversion of the conditional approval for PIXUVRI in Europe to full approval and potentially support a registration application in the U.S.
- In January 2014, CTI received notification from the FDA that the partial clinical hold has been removed and all studies underway may continue. Current investigator-sponsored trials are scheduled to resume in the first quarter of 2014.
- In December 2013, researchers presented new positive interim results from the investigator-initiated Phase 2 trial of tosedostat in combination with cytarabine or decitabine in newly diagnosed older patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) at the 55th American Society of Hematology annual meeting. Results showed a 54 percent complete response rate and 12-month median survival in this first-line setting.
Corporate and Financial
- In January 2014, CTI reached an agreement with Novartis to regain rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio, providing CTI with the flexibility to manage these assets within the context of its overall product portfolio strategy.
- CTI will provide 2014 financial guidance in its fourth quarter and year-end 2013 results announcement. At this time, we anticipate that the up-front payment and anticipated near-term milestones related to the Baxter collaboration will potentially allow CTI to reach regulatory submissions for pacritinib without requiring additional equity financing to fund such activities.
2014 Corporate Milestones
- Initiate second Phase 3 trial. CTI expects to initiate PERSIST-2 for patients with myelofibrosis who have low platelet counts in early 2014.
- Report topline results. CTI anticipates reporting topline results for PERSIST-1 in the second half of 2014.
- Initiation of investigator-sponsored trials. CTI is evaluating additional indications and expects to support the initiation of investigator-sponsored trials, including in AML, at leading centers in 2014.
- Grow E.U. sales. CTI intends to focus on PIXUVRI for multiply relapsed or refractory aggressive relapsed B-cell NHL and manage expenses to drive to future profitability.
- Seek rest-of-world partner. CTI intends to pursue a partner for commercializing PIXUVRI outside of Western Europe.
- Complete enrollment. CTI expects the GOG-0212 Phase 3 maintenance therapy trial for patients with ovarian cancer to complete enrollment in the first quarter 2014.
About Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
CTI (NASDAQ and MTA: CTIC) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to the development and commercialization of an integrated portfolio of oncology products aimed at making cancer more treatable. CTI is headquartered in Seattle, WA. For additional information and to sign up for email alerts and get RSS feeds, please visit www.CellTherapeutics.com.
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, the outcome of which could materially and/or adversely affect actual future results and the trading price of CTI's securities. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding CTI's expectations with respect to the development of CTI and its product and product candidate portfolio, and expectations concerning the benefits of the reacquisition of rights to PIXUVRI and Opaxio, the anticipated completion of the first of two Phase 3 clinical trials of pacritinib in myelofibrosis, potential release of topline data for pacritinib later in 2014, enrollment projections and expected outcome of the Phase 3 PIX-R, or PIX306, post-marketing commitment study, liquidity and expense projections, projected initiation of each of PERSIST-2 for patients with myelofibrosis who have low platelet counts in early 2014 and investigator-sponsored trials, including in acute myeloid leukemia (AML), and enrollment projections with respect to the GOG-0212 Phase 3 maintenance therapy trial at leading centers in 2014. Risks that contribute to the uncertain nature of the forward-looking statements include, among others, risks associated with the biopharmaceutical industry in general and with CTI and its product and product candidate portfolio in particular including, among others, risks associated with the following: that CTI cannot predict or guarantee the pace or geography of enrollment of its clinical trials, that CTI cannot predict or guarantee the outcome of preclinical and clinical studies, that CTI may not obtain favorable determinations by other regulatory, patent and administrative governmental authorities, that CTI may experience delays in the commencement of preclinical and clinical studies, risks related to the costs of developing pacritinib and CTI's other product candidates, and other risks, including, without limitation, competitive factors, technological developments, that CTI's operating expenses continue to exceed its net revenues, that CTI may not be able to sustain its current cost controls or further reduce its operating expenses, that CTI may not achieve previously announced goals and objectives as or when projected, that CTI's average net operating burn rate may increase, that CTI will continue to need to raise capital to fund its operating expenses, but may not be able to raise sufficient amounts to fund its continued operation as well as other risks listed or described from time to time in CTI's most recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K. Except as required by law, CTI does not intend to update any of the statements in this press release upon further developments.
SOURCE Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
Nov. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 413
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Nov. 27, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 174
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving t...
Nov. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 411
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Nov. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 172
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 155
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Nov. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 464
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Nov. 27, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 542
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
Nov. 27, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 538
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Nov. 27, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 315
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Nov. 27, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 384
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Nov. 27, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 398
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
Nov. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 309
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 491
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Nov. 27, 2015 09:45 AM EST Reads: 221
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 27, 2015 09:15 AM EST Reads: 292