|By PR Newswire||
|January 16, 2014 08:12 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Light-weighting Role of Performance Plastics in the European Automotive Market
Exterior and Under-the-Hood Applications will Open Up Metal Replacement Opportunities
- The European automotive industry is at the forefront in terms of technological advancements. It is focused on light-weighting strategies and enhancing passenger comfort. Housing the major global automotive manufacturers, the demand for plastics is projected to accelerate during the forecast period.
- Growing environmental concerns, along with regulatory trends to reduce carbon footprint, have steered the focus of automotive original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to continuously reduce fuel consumption and carbon-dioxide (CO2) emissions from vehicles.
- The use of plastics in automotive applications not only offers advantages such as decreased fuel consumption, weight reduction, environmental sustainability and enhanced design flexibility but also delivers passenger safety features.
- Safety functionalities such as shock absorption in bumpers, materials to reduce explosion risks in under-the-hood (UTH) applications and life-saving accessories such as air bags and seat belts are accelerating the need for materials that offer increased design freedom, aid in light-weighting and deliver cost-competitiveness.
- Dynamics in the automotive plastics market centre around metal replacement opportunities in certain applications and the substitution of competing plastic compounds and reinforced and composite materials in different applications.
Executive Summary—Strategic Factsheet
- In 2012, the automotive plastics market generated a revenue of € million, and is forecast to experience a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of xx% between 2012 and 2019.
- The polypropylene (PP) segment dominated the market with a xx% share in terms of volume, whereas the high-performance polymer (HPP) segment was the smallest with a xx% share.
- The automotive plastics market is highly competitive. In 2012, the top xx participants held a xx% share.
- In addition to cost-ompetitiveness and supply security, technical competence and the integration of resin manufacturing capability remain critical.
- The automotive plastics market is forecast to reach € million in 2019. Unit shipment is expected to reach xxmillion kilogrammes (kg), at a CAGR of xx%.
- The blends segment is projected to witness maximum growth from 2012 to 2019, at a CAGR of xx%.
- In-car acoustic management, fenders, spoilers, and UTH applications offer immense growth opportunities for metal replacement by plastic compounds.
- Blends and acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) compounds are gaining momentum in a number of interior and exterior applications while PP compounds will continue to dominate the total market due to their cost advantage.
- The economic scenario in Europe, along with the sluggish automotive production trends, has significantly influenced the automotive plastics market. However, the light-weighting trend and the regulatory requirements are expected to drive the use of plastics in the automotive industry.
- High-level technical expertise and long-term relationships with OEMs are critical in the automotive plastics market. Hence, entry barriers are high for new participants to cater to the rapidly evolving needs of the automotive industry.
- Metal replacement opportunities for plastics have matured in interior applications while exterior and UTH applications offer immense growth prospects for the penetration of plastics.
- Composites and reinforced materials pose strong competition for plastics in the automotive industry. Technological advancements in resin manufacturing as well as processing techniques to develop innovative plastic compounds are of importance.
- Compound manufacturers need to work closely with automotive component manufacturers and OEMs to ensure robust design capabilities. Long-term relationships are even more critical to ensure continuous material supply to the automotive industry.
- This research service examines the automotive plastics market in Europe.
- The polymers used in passenger and light commercial vehicles (LCVs) have been included in the study while medium, heavy-duty and industrial vehicles have been excluded.
- Market revenue and volume are expressed in Euros and kg, respectively. Polymer prices are represented in Euro/kg.
- Light-weighting capability, improved aesthetics, design flexibility and cost-competitiveness have helped plastics rapidly replace other competing materials such as metals, rubber and fibres in the automotive industry.
- The choice of plastics over other materials has proven to offer xx% weight reduction along with a xx-xx% savings in terms of fuel consumption.
- Additionally, a xx kg weight reduction, on average, helps to decrease CO2 emissions by approximately 20.0 kg.
- PP is the most commonly used polymer in automotive applications, followed by PE.
- These compounds have a well-established market for themselves, while continuous research and development (R&D) activities are driving the substitution of one over the other for cost, performance and improved aesthetics.
- The choice of polymers across different applications is based on the OEMs/component manufacturers, along with the capability of their chemical partner to compound the resins to suit the former's requirements.
Material and Other Trends
- The materials used in automotive applications are witnessing rapid dynamics due to OEM preference for light-weighting, end-user demand for enhanced comfort and safety and regulatory requirements to reduce CO2 emissions from vehicles.
- Spoilers, fenders, liftgates and glazing are the key applications that offer profitable metal substitution.
- PP, PC/ABS and ABS compounds compete closely in different applications such as dashboard panels, bumpers and mirror housing. OEMs, component manufacturers and compound manufacturers work closely with each other for material selection and product design after evaluating the required characteristic properties and cost implications for the specific application. For instance, high-end luxury cars are likely to have more PC/ABS content (to enhance aesthetics) when compared to the PP compounds that are used in economy cars where the cost constraints are much tighter.
- Another significant dynamic in the automotive plastics market is the competition from reinforced and composite materials for plastic compounds in different applications. UTH applications require the continuous substitution of virgin plastic compounds by reinforced and composite materials. Air intake manifolds (AIMs), engine covers, radiator end caps and fans/shrouds are some examples.
Segment Life Cycle Analysis : Market Description
- The PP segment is the largest in terms of revenue and volume in the automotive plastics market. The use of PP compounds is maturing in interior applications such as dashboard panels, centre consoles and door panels.
- The PU segment has penetrated seating applications while noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) applications will offer significant growth opportunities in future.
- ABS is projected to find opportunities in interior applications in replacing PP compounds.
- HPP compounds hold a significant share in terms of revenue; however, they have smaller volume implications as they are predominantly used in niche applications.
- Automotive applications offer limited prospects for non-reinforced PA compounds when compared to their reinforced and composite counterparts.
- Other compounds find applications in different areas while competition from PP and ABS compounds has restrained their growth. PC and blends hold a small share while they are poised for strong growth during the forecast period.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
- At what stage of its lifecycle is the market and how is it expected to grow?
- What are the key factors driving and restraining market growth?
- What are the dynamics influencing the growth of the different market segments?
- What are the growth opportunities for the different application segments in the market?
- Who are the leading market participants?
- What are the key competitive factors governing the market?
Mega Trends and Industry Convergence Implications
Driver and Restraints—Total Automotive Plastics Market
Forecasts and Trends—Total Automotive Plastics Market
Market Share and Competitive Analysis—Total Automotive Plastics Market
CEO's 360 Degree Perspective of the Automotive Plastics Industry
PP Segment Breakdown
PU Segment Breakdown
PA Segment Breakdown
PC Segment Breakdown
ABS Segment Breakdown
HPP Segment Breakdown
Blends Segment Breakdown
Other Compounds Segment Breakdown
The Last Word
To order this report: Light-weighting Role of Performance Plastics in the European Automotive Market
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 29, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 280
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 29, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,485
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 29, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,438
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 29, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,869
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 29, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 911
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 29, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,661
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 29, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 29, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 835
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 323
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 794
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,567
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,745
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,001
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,028
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 839