|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2014 01:11 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Massively Open Online Courses ("MOOCs") are open free courses by some of the world's leading universities, organizations, and industry experts. Majority of the University MOOCs are the same or very similar to courses being taught on the ground at their campuses and for much higher tuition prices. Most MOOCs offer a free Certificate of Completion for those who successfully complete the MOOC.
For students wanting to showcase their MOOC courses and achievements to employers, schools and others, a new optional type of paid "Verified Certificate" credential verifying the identity of the person who took and completed the MOOC is now available.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs will verify your identity through a variety of means that can include webcam, keystroke analysis, valid photo identification, and/or test centers. Each MOOC provider can require different methods of identification in order to grant the Verified Certificate. Make sure to read the MOOC's requirements closely prior to enrolling in the course because most Verified Certificate fees must be paid at the beginning of the course and are not refundable. While most of these Verified Certificate MOOCs do not yet offer credit, some institutions may provide cost-savings incentives if you enroll in one of their related existing online degree programs.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs are a critical step forward for the MOOC movement in continuing to attract larger global audiences as they create viable "affordable" credential value for the serious MOOC students. They also represent a volume revenue opportunity and potential key piece of the sustainable business models of most MOOC providers.
Some quick findings from the study include:
- Over 80% of the current Verified Certificate MOOCs are priced under $49.00
- The lowest priced Verified Certificate MOOC found was the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) MOOC: "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics" at $25.
- Only three Verified Certificates were priced at $100 or greater, and these were MIT's $100 (Minimum) MIT: "The Analytics Edge"; MIT's $100 (Minimum) "Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics", and Futurelearn/University of Warwick £119 (Approx. $195) "The mind is flat: the shocking shallowness of human psychology."
- How are these Verified Certificate MOOCs priced? No "standard" Verified Certificate pricing equation was found to account for the different price points discovered, but the majority are priced at $49 with the $39 and $50 price-points ranking in second and third place. Some of the factors that may have played a part in the pricing of these include: profile of MOOCs target audience (ie, educators, engineers, etc); MOOCs faculty team; MOOCs production costs; currency; University's social mission; University brand; level of MOOC content interest/availability, and MOOCthink (ie, charging what other similar universities are charging).
Verified Certificate MOOCs are available in many subjects, and the full list of the 100+ included in this study is available at http://www.moocsuniversity.org/academic-mooc-pathways.html, but below are some examples that showcase the diversity of the courses available:
- $25 - University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley): "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics"
- $29 - Nanyang Technological University: "Beauty, Form & Function: An Exploration of Symmetry"
- $39 - Berklee College of Music: "Songwriting" Or "Introduction to Guitar" Or "Jazz Improvisation"
- $39 - John Hopkins School of Nursing: "Care of Elders with Alzheimer's Disease and other Major Neurocognitive Disorders"
- $39 - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: "What's Your Big Idea?"
- $39 - Northwestern University: "Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences for Your Organization"
- $49 - The Chinese University of Hong Kong: "Information Theory"
- $49 - Duke University: "Introductory Human Physiology"
- $49 - University of Edinburgh: "Equine Nutrition"
- $49 - HEC Paris: "Understanding Europe: Why It Matters and What It Can Offer You"
- $49 - Universiteit Leiden: "Terrorism and Counterterrorism - Comparing Theory and Practice"
- $49 - University of Maryland: "Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems"
- $49 - Wharton - University of Pennsylvania: "An Introduction to Operations Management"
- $49 - Yale University: "Roman Architecture" Or "Constitutional Law"
- $50 - Australian National University (ANU): "Engaging India"
- $50 -University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin): "Effective Thinking Through Mathematics"
- $50 - MIT: "Entrepreneurship 101: Who is your customer?"
- $69 - University of California San Francisco: "Poisonings in the Home and Community: Assessment and Emergency Response"
- $100 (Minimum) - MIT: "The Analytics Edge"
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE MOOCs University
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Jul. 7, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 500
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, discussed how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at th...
Jul. 7, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,601
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world...
Jul. 7, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,527
Countless business models have spawned from the IaaS industry. Resell Web hosting, blogs, public cloud, and on and on. With the overwhelming amount of tools available to us, it's sometimes easy to overlook that many of them are just new skins of resources we've had for a long time. In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Lead Technology Evangelist at SoftLayer, broke down what we've got to work with and discuss the benefits and pitfalls to discover how we can best use them to d...
Jul. 7, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,360
Enterprises are turning to the hybrid cloud to drive greater scalability and cost-effectiveness. But enterprises should beware as the definition of “policy” varies wildly. Some say it’s the ability to control the resources apps’ use or where the apps run. Others view policy as governing the permissions and delivering security. Policy is all of that and more. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Derek Collison, founder and CEO of Apcera, explained what policy is, he showed how policy should be arch...
Jul. 7, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 885
"We have seen the evolution of WebRTC right from the starting point to what it has become today, that people are using in real applications," noted Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President and Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy and Ecosystem at GENBAND, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 943
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US a...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,480
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,269
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,466
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,270
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,721
"CenturyLink brings a full suite of services to the table and that enables us to be an IT service provider," explained Jeff Katzen, Director of the Cloud Practice at CenturyLink, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 700
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Jul. 7, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,953
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Jul. 7, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,420
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jul. 7, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,409