|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2014 01:11 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Massively Open Online Courses ("MOOCs") are open free courses by some of the world's leading universities, organizations, and industry experts. Majority of the University MOOCs are the same or very similar to courses being taught on the ground at their campuses and for much higher tuition prices. Most MOOCs offer a free Certificate of Completion for those who successfully complete the MOOC.
For students wanting to showcase their MOOC courses and achievements to employers, schools and others, a new optional type of paid "Verified Certificate" credential verifying the identity of the person who took and completed the MOOC is now available.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs will verify your identity through a variety of means that can include webcam, keystroke analysis, valid photo identification, and/or test centers. Each MOOC provider can require different methods of identification in order to grant the Verified Certificate. Make sure to read the MOOC's requirements closely prior to enrolling in the course because most Verified Certificate fees must be paid at the beginning of the course and are not refundable. While most of these Verified Certificate MOOCs do not yet offer credit, some institutions may provide cost-savings incentives if you enroll in one of their related existing online degree programs.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs are a critical step forward for the MOOC movement in continuing to attract larger global audiences as they create viable "affordable" credential value for the serious MOOC students. They also represent a volume revenue opportunity and potential key piece of the sustainable business models of most MOOC providers.
Some quick findings from the study include:
- Over 80% of the current Verified Certificate MOOCs are priced under $49.00
- The lowest priced Verified Certificate MOOC found was the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) MOOC: "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics" at $25.
- Only three Verified Certificates were priced at $100 or greater, and these were MIT's $100 (Minimum) MIT: "The Analytics Edge"; MIT's $100 (Minimum) "Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics", and Futurelearn/University of Warwick £119 (Approx. $195) "The mind is flat: the shocking shallowness of human psychology."
- How are these Verified Certificate MOOCs priced? No "standard" Verified Certificate pricing equation was found to account for the different price points discovered, but the majority are priced at $49 with the $39 and $50 price-points ranking in second and third place. Some of the factors that may have played a part in the pricing of these include: profile of MOOCs target audience (ie, educators, engineers, etc); MOOCs faculty team; MOOCs production costs; currency; University's social mission; University brand; level of MOOC content interest/availability, and MOOCthink (ie, charging what other similar universities are charging).
Verified Certificate MOOCs are available in many subjects, and the full list of the 100+ included in this study is available at http://www.moocsuniversity.org/academic-mooc-pathways.html, but below are some examples that showcase the diversity of the courses available:
- $25 - University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley): "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics"
- $29 - Nanyang Technological University: "Beauty, Form & Function: An Exploration of Symmetry"
- $39 - Berklee College of Music: "Songwriting" Or "Introduction to Guitar" Or "Jazz Improvisation"
- $39 - John Hopkins School of Nursing: "Care of Elders with Alzheimer's Disease and other Major Neurocognitive Disorders"
- $39 - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: "What's Your Big Idea?"
- $39 - Northwestern University: "Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences for Your Organization"
- $49 - The Chinese University of Hong Kong: "Information Theory"
- $49 - Duke University: "Introductory Human Physiology"
- $49 - University of Edinburgh: "Equine Nutrition"
- $49 - HEC Paris: "Understanding Europe: Why It Matters and What It Can Offer You"
- $49 - Universiteit Leiden: "Terrorism and Counterterrorism - Comparing Theory and Practice"
- $49 - University of Maryland: "Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems"
- $49 - Wharton - University of Pennsylvania: "An Introduction to Operations Management"
- $49 - Yale University: "Roman Architecture" Or "Constitutional Law"
- $50 - Australian National University (ANU): "Engaging India"
- $50 -University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin): "Effective Thinking Through Mathematics"
- $50 - MIT: "Entrepreneurship 101: Who is your customer?"
- $69 - University of California San Francisco: "Poisonings in the Home and Community: Assessment and Emergency Response"
- $100 (Minimum) - MIT: "The Analytics Edge"
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE MOOCs University
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Dec. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 350
OpsHub, Inc. has announced enhanced support for DevOps and Migration for both Team Foundation Server and Visual Studio On-line in a heterogeneous environment. With added support for build and release entities in OpsHub Integration Manager (OIM) Microsoft customers can now leverage Visual Studio build and release services to manage DevOps processes in a heterogeneous environment. With the enhanced support customers can manage the DevOps process in Team Foundation Server while undertaking activit...
Dec. 1, 2015 01:42 PM EST
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Dec. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 305
Cloud computing is unquestionably one of the driving forces of DevOps, as the automation of operations transforms enterprise software development. DevOps, however, is more than a technology trend, as it represents a move toward silo-busting, self-organizing horizontal teams that drive business velocity. At the same time, enterprise Digital Transformation represents an upheaval across the enterprise, as customer preferences and behavior drive enterprise technology decisions. This transformation ...
Dec. 1, 2015 12:35 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a global leader in monitoring, and testing the performance of online applications, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of DevOps Summit New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016 at the Javits Center in New York City. Catchpoint radically transforms the way businesses manage, monitor, and test the performance of online applications. Truly understand and improve user experience with clear visibility into complex, distributed online systems.Founde...
Dec. 1, 2015 12:15 PM EST
With all the incredible momentum behind the Internet of Things (IoT) industry, it is easy to forget that not a single CEO wakes up and wonders if “my IoT is broken.” What they wonder is if they are making the right decisions to do all they can to increase revenue, decrease costs, and improve customer experience – effectively the same challenges they have always had in growing their business. The exciting thing about the IoT industry is now these decisions can be better, faster, and smarter. Now ...
Dec. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 306
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Dec. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 230
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Dec. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 373
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Dec. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 473
Actifio is powering new application development and testing services from Net3 Technologies (N3T), a managed cloud services provider. N3T's new Symmetry DevOps™ service builds on its existing Palmetto Virtual Data Center (PvDC) Cloud services for data backup and disaster recovery (DR) based on the Actifio Copy Data Virtualization platform. Previously, N3T's data protection and DR services were challenged by overlapping and inefficient legacy hardware and software platforms from multiple vendo...
Dec. 1, 2015 11:30 AM EST
Most of the IoT Gateway scenarios involve collecting data from machines/processing and pushing data upstream to cloud for further analytics. The gateway hardware varies from Raspberry Pi to Industrial PCs. The document states the process of allowing deploying polyglot data pipelining software with the clear notion of supporting immutability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Shashank Jain, a development architect for SAP Labs, discussed the objective, which is to automate the IoT deployment proces...
Dec. 1, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 139
The cloud. Like a comic book superhero, there seems to be no problem it can’t fix or cost it can’t slash. Yet making the transition is not always easy and production environments are still largely on premise. Taking some practical and sensible steps to reduce risk can also help provide a basis for a successful cloud transition. A plethora of surveys from the likes of IDG and Gartner show that more than 70 percent of enterprises have deployed at least one or more cloud application or workload. Y...
Dec. 1, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 514
Countless business models have spawned from the IaaS industry – resell Web hosting, blogs, public cloud, and on and on. With the overwhelming amount of tools available to us, it's sometimes easy to overlook that many of them are just new skins of resources we've had for a long time. In his general session at 17th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, an IBM Company, broke down what we have to work with, discussed the benefits and pitfalls and how we can best use them ...
Dec. 1, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 132
In demand-intensive mobile and web applications, an emerging pattern is to host the Systems of Engagement in the cloud (for maximum responsiveness) but keep the Systems of Record with the other important business systems in the company datacenter, often on a tightly secured mainframe. But what about the space in between? In this IBM Redpaper publication, we show that the IBM Bluemix cloud platform offers technologies that make it easy for cloud-based SoEs to securely connect to on-premises IBM...
Dec. 1, 2015 10:19 AM EST
Discussions of cloud computing have evolved in recent years from a focus on specific types of cloud, to a world of hybrid cloud, and to a world dominated by the APIs that make today's multi-cloud environments and hybrid clouds possible. In this Power Panel at 17th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the importance of customers being able to use the specific technologies they need, through environments and ecosystems that expose their APIs to make true ...
Dec. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 577