|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2014 01:11 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Massively Open Online Courses ("MOOCs") are open free courses by some of the world's leading universities, organizations, and industry experts. Majority of the University MOOCs are the same or very similar to courses being taught on the ground at their campuses and for much higher tuition prices. Most MOOCs offer a free Certificate of Completion for those who successfully complete the MOOC.
For students wanting to showcase their MOOC courses and achievements to employers, schools and others, a new optional type of paid "Verified Certificate" credential verifying the identity of the person who took and completed the MOOC is now available.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs will verify your identity through a variety of means that can include webcam, keystroke analysis, valid photo identification, and/or test centers. Each MOOC provider can require different methods of identification in order to grant the Verified Certificate. Make sure to read the MOOC's requirements closely prior to enrolling in the course because most Verified Certificate fees must be paid at the beginning of the course and are not refundable. While most of these Verified Certificate MOOCs do not yet offer credit, some institutions may provide cost-savings incentives if you enroll in one of their related existing online degree programs.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs are a critical step forward for the MOOC movement in continuing to attract larger global audiences as they create viable "affordable" credential value for the serious MOOC students. They also represent a volume revenue opportunity and potential key piece of the sustainable business models of most MOOC providers.
Some quick findings from the study include:
- Over 80% of the current Verified Certificate MOOCs are priced under $49.00
- The lowest priced Verified Certificate MOOC found was the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) MOOC: "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics" at $25.
- Only three Verified Certificates were priced at $100 or greater, and these were MIT's $100 (Minimum) MIT: "The Analytics Edge"; MIT's $100 (Minimum) "Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics", and Futurelearn/University of Warwick £119 (Approx. $195) "The mind is flat: the shocking shallowness of human psychology."
- How are these Verified Certificate MOOCs priced? No "standard" Verified Certificate pricing equation was found to account for the different price points discovered, but the majority are priced at $49 with the $39 and $50 price-points ranking in second and third place. Some of the factors that may have played a part in the pricing of these include: profile of MOOCs target audience (ie, educators, engineers, etc); MOOCs faculty team; MOOCs production costs; currency; University's social mission; University brand; level of MOOC content interest/availability, and MOOCthink (ie, charging what other similar universities are charging).
Verified Certificate MOOCs are available in many subjects, and the full list of the 100+ included in this study is available at http://www.moocsuniversity.org/academic-mooc-pathways.html, but below are some examples that showcase the diversity of the courses available:
- $25 - University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley): "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics"
- $29 - Nanyang Technological University: "Beauty, Form & Function: An Exploration of Symmetry"
- $39 - Berklee College of Music: "Songwriting" Or "Introduction to Guitar" Or "Jazz Improvisation"
- $39 - John Hopkins School of Nursing: "Care of Elders with Alzheimer's Disease and other Major Neurocognitive Disorders"
- $39 - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: "What's Your Big Idea?"
- $39 - Northwestern University: "Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences for Your Organization"
- $49 - The Chinese University of Hong Kong: "Information Theory"
- $49 - Duke University: "Introductory Human Physiology"
- $49 - University of Edinburgh: "Equine Nutrition"
- $49 - HEC Paris: "Understanding Europe: Why It Matters and What It Can Offer You"
- $49 - Universiteit Leiden: "Terrorism and Counterterrorism - Comparing Theory and Practice"
- $49 - University of Maryland: "Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems"
- $49 - Wharton - University of Pennsylvania: "An Introduction to Operations Management"
- $49 - Yale University: "Roman Architecture" Or "Constitutional Law"
- $50 - Australian National University (ANU): "Engaging India"
- $50 -University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin): "Effective Thinking Through Mathematics"
- $50 - MIT: "Entrepreneurship 101: Who is your customer?"
- $69 - University of California San Francisco: "Poisonings in the Home and Community: Assessment and Emergency Response"
- $100 (Minimum) - MIT: "The Analytics Edge"
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE MOOCs University
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 21, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 1,050
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the...
Feb. 21, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 4,520
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 21, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 317
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 21, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,141
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Feb. 21, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 7,554
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 21, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,232
Updating DevOps to the latest production data slows down your development cycle. Probably it is due to slow, inefficient conventional storage and associated copy data management practices. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in Product and Solution at Tintri, will talk about DevOps and cloud-focused storage to update hundreds of child VMs (different flavors) with updates from a master VM in minutes, saving hours or even days in each development cycle. He will also...
Feb. 21, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,384
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 21, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 888
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 21, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,542
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 21, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,151
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Feb. 21, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,757
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Feb. 21, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 2,301
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Feb. 21, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 6,891
The financial services market is one of the most data-driven industries in the world, yet it’s bogged down by legacy CPU technologies that simply can’t keep up with the task of querying and visualizing billions of records. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jared Parker, Director of Financial Services at Kinetica, will discuss how the advent of advanced in-database analytics on the GPU makes it possible to run sophisticated data science workloads on the same database that is housing the rich inf...
Feb. 21, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,264
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 21, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 814