|By PR Newswire||
|January 21, 2014 09:30 AM EST||
LONDON, Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With only six months to go until full implementation of the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD) on July 22, new research by BNY Mellon, the global leader in investment management and investment services, has found that fewer than 20 per cent of alternative investment fund managers (AIFMs) have submitted an application to their local regulator for AIFMD authorisation.
Given that securing authorisation typically takes a number of months, bottlenecks and delays are now likely to develop, putting even greater pressure on AIFMs, depositaries and services providers as they seek to implement the necessary changes in time for July's deadline.
In a similar survey conducted by BNY Mellon in July 2013, 26% of respondents had said they planned to submit their application during 2013. With the deadline only months away, a significant number of alternative investment funds (AIFs) are yet to finalise their plans towards full compliance, with 37% saying they are unclear as to how they will address the additional requirements around regulatory reporting.
The latest BNY Mellon survey – conducted in conjunction with global business consulting firm FTI Consulting – canvassed more than 50 firms drawn from across Europe, the United States, Asia and Latin America who operate, or are considering operating, a fund that would be subject to AIFMD. The survey respondents – comprising a mix of small, medium and large fund managers – collectively hold over USD 4 trillion in assets under management, of which over $20 billion fall under AIFMD. Just over one-third of these managers operate more than five AIFs.
Key findings from the survey include:
- Only 19% of respondents submitted requests for authorisation during 2013, leaving 81% of AIFMs surveyed still to apply to their regulator. The survey also found that 41% of respondents said they plan to submit their application in Q1 2014 while a further 20% said they would do so during the final three months period prior to the July 22 deadline – irrespective of the time required for preparing and processing applications.
- Five per cent of AIFs surveyed are expected to be closed, merged or sold, potentially resulting in less choice for investors.
- The mean cost of AIFMD compliance is expected to be $300,000, consistent with the $305,000 figure posited by respondents to BNY Mellon's previous survey six months ago. The majority of respondents believe the project/one-off costs of fulfilling AIFMD risk and compliance requirements will be at least $100,000 – and potentially over $250,000 – per institution.
- Nearly half (46%) of respondents believe additional technology will constitute the greatest increase in on-going costs in order to comply with risk and compliance requirements.
- 26% of those polled said they will pass on some of the increased costs to fulfil regulatory requirements onto the fund (impacting TER), while nearly half (46%) are still assessing how to absorb the additional cost. In the last survey, 88% of participants believed the costs of funds would increase as a result of AIFMD, which suggests the industry is questioning the need or ability to pass costs on.
- Nearly 60% of respondents have either appointed, or are in the process of appointing, an AIFMD compliant depositary service, as required under the authorisation application process. Conversely, 17% expressed an intention to use a 'depositary lite' service, giving flexibility to distribute non-EU domiciled funds within the EU.
- The burden of additional requirements for regulatory reporting will be undertaken by in-house teams for nearly two thirds of respondents, supported by administration providers (23%), depositary service providers (26%), while 37% are still assessing their needs. Twenty five per cent of respondents reported that hiring experienced staff is 'very challenging'.
- In general, progress on implementing new AIFMD risk and compliance capabilities appears to be further advanced than other aspects of work:
- Fifty-five per cent of respondents have implemented, or are close to final implementation of, a risk management framework; and 68% have completed, or are near completion of, their compliance framework.
- The majority of respondents (70%) are building in-house systems to develop their risk and compliance monitoring processes, with 47% planning to use data from their portfolio managers.
- Various approaches are being taken by managers around risk and compliance, with some respondents adopting multiple approaches simultaneously. Sixty per cent said they are planning a monthly suite of comprehensive reports for monitoring risk and compliance. Fifty per cent are looking to use daily reporting, and thirty three per cent are planning to use online dashboards summarising risk and compliance reports.
- Almost 4 in 10 (39%) have outsourced, or are considering outsourcing, their risk and compliance reporting requirements.
- Ninety-three per cent consider the increasing costs to support risk and compliance data and reporting as being challenging.
Commenting on the survey's findings, Hani Kablawi, EMEA Head of Asset Servicing at BNY Mellon, said: "There is a danger of a significant bottleneck developing in the application process, as many managers surveyed are yet to fully address their AIFMD requirements in time for the July deadline. Allowing for the time required by regulators to review applications, and for depositary and administrative service providers to make the relevant arrangements, there is a risk that funds will miss the application deadline. The slow progress we see around applications highlights both the uncertainties and practical challenges the industry is facing getting to grips with AIFMD. Certainly, those who have so far delayed their submissions cannot kick the can down the road any longer. Prompt action is required if managers are not to fall foul of the consequences of non-compliance, both in respect of their regulators and their investors."
Notes to editors:
BNY Mellon's Asset Servicing business supports institutional investors in today's fast-evolving markets, safeguarding assets and enhancing the management and administration of client investments through services that process, monitor and measure data from around the world. We leverage our global footprint and local expertise to deliver insight and solutions across every stage of the investment lifecycle.
BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. As of December 31, 2013, BNY Mellon had $27.6 trillion in assets under custody and/or administration and $1.6 trillion in assets under management. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK). Additional information is available on www.bnymellon.com or follow us on Twitter @BNYMellon.
This press release is issued by The Bank of New York Mellon to members of the financial press and media.
All information and figures source BNY Mellon unless otherwise stated as at December 31, 2013.
The Bank of New York Mellon, London Branch, registered in England and Wales with FC005522 and BR000818.
Branch office: One Canada Square, London E14 5AL. The Bank of New York Mellon is supervised and regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the Federal Reserve and authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority.
The Bank of New York Mellon London branch is subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Details about the extent of our regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority are available from us on request.
Contact: Tim Steele
+44 20 7163 5850
SOURCE BNY Mellon
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, discussed how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your aud...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 368
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,230
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 600
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 2,131
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,964
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 7,459
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 2,279
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,077
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,396
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,406
"MathFreeOn.com is a line coding platform for engineers and scientists. When they want to solve an engineering problem and they have to use software - they have to pay a lot of money for licenses - but with MathFreeOn you don't have to pay a lot of money. Just go to our site and write the code and you can check the result right away," explained Simon Lee, CMO of MathFreeOn, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Cla...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 481
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Dec. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 771
Dec. 10, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,021
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation; Alan Williamson, Principal...
Dec. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 696
Infrastructure is widely available, but who’s managing inbound/outbound traffic? Data is created, stored, and managed online – who is protecting it and how? In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Jaeson Yoo, SVP of Business Development at Penta Security Systems Inc., discussed how to keep any and all infrastructure clean, safe, and efficient by monitoring and filtering all malicious HTTP/HTTPS traffic at the OSI Layer 7. Stop attacks and web intruders before they can enter your network.
Dec. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 505