|By PR Newswire||
|January 21, 2014 09:30 AM EST||
LONDON, Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With only six months to go until full implementation of the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD) on July 22, new research by BNY Mellon, the global leader in investment management and investment services, has found that fewer than 20 per cent of alternative investment fund managers (AIFMs) have submitted an application to their local regulator for AIFMD authorisation.
Given that securing authorisation typically takes a number of months, bottlenecks and delays are now likely to develop, putting even greater pressure on AIFMs, depositaries and services providers as they seek to implement the necessary changes in time for July's deadline.
In a similar survey conducted by BNY Mellon in July 2013, 26% of respondents had said they planned to submit their application during 2013. With the deadline only months away, a significant number of alternative investment funds (AIFs) are yet to finalise their plans towards full compliance, with 37% saying they are unclear as to how they will address the additional requirements around regulatory reporting.
The latest BNY Mellon survey – conducted in conjunction with global business consulting firm FTI Consulting – canvassed more than 50 firms drawn from across Europe, the United States, Asia and Latin America who operate, or are considering operating, a fund that would be subject to AIFMD. The survey respondents – comprising a mix of small, medium and large fund managers – collectively hold over USD 4 trillion in assets under management, of which over $20 billion fall under AIFMD. Just over one-third of these managers operate more than five AIFs.
Key findings from the survey include:
- Only 19% of respondents submitted requests for authorisation during 2013, leaving 81% of AIFMs surveyed still to apply to their regulator. The survey also found that 41% of respondents said they plan to submit their application in Q1 2014 while a further 20% said they would do so during the final three months period prior to the July 22 deadline – irrespective of the time required for preparing and processing applications.
- Five per cent of AIFs surveyed are expected to be closed, merged or sold, potentially resulting in less choice for investors.
- The mean cost of AIFMD compliance is expected to be $300,000, consistent with the $305,000 figure posited by respondents to BNY Mellon's previous survey six months ago. The majority of respondents believe the project/one-off costs of fulfilling AIFMD risk and compliance requirements will be at least $100,000 – and potentially over $250,000 – per institution.
- Nearly half (46%) of respondents believe additional technology will constitute the greatest increase in on-going costs in order to comply with risk and compliance requirements.
- 26% of those polled said they will pass on some of the increased costs to fulfil regulatory requirements onto the fund (impacting TER), while nearly half (46%) are still assessing how to absorb the additional cost. In the last survey, 88% of participants believed the costs of funds would increase as a result of AIFMD, which suggests the industry is questioning the need or ability to pass costs on.
- Nearly 60% of respondents have either appointed, or are in the process of appointing, an AIFMD compliant depositary service, as required under the authorisation application process. Conversely, 17% expressed an intention to use a 'depositary lite' service, giving flexibility to distribute non-EU domiciled funds within the EU.
- The burden of additional requirements for regulatory reporting will be undertaken by in-house teams for nearly two thirds of respondents, supported by administration providers (23%), depositary service providers (26%), while 37% are still assessing their needs. Twenty five per cent of respondents reported that hiring experienced staff is 'very challenging'.
- In general, progress on implementing new AIFMD risk and compliance capabilities appears to be further advanced than other aspects of work:
- Fifty-five per cent of respondents have implemented, or are close to final implementation of, a risk management framework; and 68% have completed, or are near completion of, their compliance framework.
- The majority of respondents (70%) are building in-house systems to develop their risk and compliance monitoring processes, with 47% planning to use data from their portfolio managers.
- Various approaches are being taken by managers around risk and compliance, with some respondents adopting multiple approaches simultaneously. Sixty per cent said they are planning a monthly suite of comprehensive reports for monitoring risk and compliance. Fifty per cent are looking to use daily reporting, and thirty three per cent are planning to use online dashboards summarising risk and compliance reports.
- Almost 4 in 10 (39%) have outsourced, or are considering outsourcing, their risk and compliance reporting requirements.
- Ninety-three per cent consider the increasing costs to support risk and compliance data and reporting as being challenging.
Commenting on the survey's findings, Hani Kablawi, EMEA Head of Asset Servicing at BNY Mellon, said: "There is a danger of a significant bottleneck developing in the application process, as many managers surveyed are yet to fully address their AIFMD requirements in time for the July deadline. Allowing for the time required by regulators to review applications, and for depositary and administrative service providers to make the relevant arrangements, there is a risk that funds will miss the application deadline. The slow progress we see around applications highlights both the uncertainties and practical challenges the industry is facing getting to grips with AIFMD. Certainly, those who have so far delayed their submissions cannot kick the can down the road any longer. Prompt action is required if managers are not to fall foul of the consequences of non-compliance, both in respect of their regulators and their investors."
Notes to editors:
BNY Mellon's Asset Servicing business supports institutional investors in today's fast-evolving markets, safeguarding assets and enhancing the management and administration of client investments through services that process, monitor and measure data from around the world. We leverage our global footprint and local expertise to deliver insight and solutions across every stage of the investment lifecycle.
BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. As of December 31, 2013, BNY Mellon had $27.6 trillion in assets under custody and/or administration and $1.6 trillion in assets under management. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK). Additional information is available on www.bnymellon.com or follow us on Twitter @BNYMellon.
This press release is issued by The Bank of New York Mellon to members of the financial press and media.
All information and figures source BNY Mellon unless otherwise stated as at December 31, 2013.
The Bank of New York Mellon, London Branch, registered in England and Wales with FC005522 and BR000818.
Branch office: One Canada Square, London E14 5AL. The Bank of New York Mellon is supervised and regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the Federal Reserve and authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority.
The Bank of New York Mellon London branch is subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Details about the extent of our regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority are available from us on request.
Contact: Tim Steele
+44 20 7163 5850
SOURCE BNY Mellon
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Aug. 31, 2015 03:15 PM EDT
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 31, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 241
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 347
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 452
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of I...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 408
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 31, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 140
The web app is agile. The REST API is agile. The testing and planning are agile. But alas, data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes that force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software organ...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:13 PM EDT
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 176
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 31, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 412
Amazon and Google have built software-defined data centers (SDDCs) that deliver massively scalable services with great efficiency. Yet, building SDDCs has proven to be a near impossibility for ‘normal’ companies without hyper-scale resources. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, David Cauthron, founder and chief executive officer of Nimboxx, will discuss the evolution of virtualization (hardware, application, memory, storage) and how commodity / open source hyper converged infrastructure (HCI) so...
Aug. 31, 2015 01:05 PM EDT
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Aug. 31, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 356
eCube Systems has released NXTmonitor, a full featured application orchestration solution. NXTmonitor, which inherited the code base of NXTminder, has been extended to support multi-discipline processes and will act as a DevOps utility in a heterogeneous enterprise environment. Previously, NXTminder was packaged with NXTera middleware to configure and manage Entera and NXTera RPC servers. “Since we are widening the focus of this solution to DevOps, we felt the need to change the name to NXTmon...
Aug. 31, 2015 12:15 PM EDT
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as...
Aug. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT
Everyone talks about continuous integration and continuous delivery but those are just two ends of the pipeline. In the middle of DevOps is continuous testing (CT), and many organizations are struggling to implement continuous testing effectively. After all, without continuous testing there is no delivery. And Lab-As-A-Service (LaaS) enhances the CT with dynamic on-demand self-serve test topologies. CT together with LAAS make a powerful combination that perfectly serves complex software developm...
Aug. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 200
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 31, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 890