|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2014 04:30 AM EST||
LONDON, January 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
22nd - 26th January 2014
At Bett 2014, the leading learning technology event in the UK, Promethean has unveiled a new suite of educational technology, content development & teacher training solutions designed to significantly improve the quality of learning while motivating students to be more successful.
"At Promethean, we are proud to be a leader in bringing forth the technology renaissance in the classroom," said Jim Marshall, Chief Executive Officer at Promethean. "We are working hand-in-hand with educators to help them evolve how teaching and learning happens in their connected, 21st century classrooms. This new approach leverages digital content, learning data, and one-of-a-kind Promethean technologies to create an immersive and interactive experience. The opportunity being presented to Promethean is that we can empower teachers with a new way to motivate and engage students in learning activities."
With a broad array of disparate technologies and services available to educators, Promethean is committed to "Bringing it ALL Together" by offering a one-of-a-kind portfolio of integrated classroom technology solutions that power the learning process and motivate students to learn. The new Promethean portfolio is structured into four core innovation streams:
1. Interactive Lesson-Plan Development & Delivery Platforms - Revolutionize the classroom environment by connecting interactive learning content to a wide array of classroom technologies and devices
- ClassFlow™ - Bett 2014 show attendees will be the first general audience to experience ClassFlow - a transformative, cloud-based classroom orchestration tool that enables teachers to create lessons, deliver interactive content across multiple devices, and assess student understanding. With ClassFlow, teachers can build and access interactive lesson plans from any web browser. In addition, ClassFlow allows teachers to foster student engagement by connecting mobile devices such as educational tablets, smartphones, and laptops to classroom displays and interactive whiteboards. As a result, teachers can use real-time student responses to instantly adjust any lesson plan when it matters the most - in the moment of learning. Experience ClassFlow at http://www.classflow.com.
2. Next-Generation Digital Classroom Surface Systems - Motivate students to collaborate & learn by facilitating active, engaging, & effective learning experiences
- ActivWall™ - The next-generation of student collaboration will be enabled through Promethean's new ActivWall - a stunning, fully interactive surface that is positioned "front and back" in the classroom. Showcased at Bett 2014 as a prototype, the ActivWall provides the opportunity to transform teaching, using the vertical surfaces in the classroom, not only as a point for whole class instruction, but as the focal point for small team collaboration. The ActivWall features Promethean's new optical technology that supports differentiated pen (i.e. the system identifies whether the contact is a pen or touch and operates accordingly) and up to 20 simultaneous touches. The ActivWall prototype is being shown at Bett 2014 with full HD images and stereo sound, making the quality of the viewing experience equal to that of a flat panel display. For simplicity, the ActivWall self-calibrates within a couple of seconds when a new computer is attached.
- ActivBoard™ Touch - Released in early summer 2013, the ActivBoard Touch has been available until recently only for Windows and in dual-touch form. For Bett 2014, Promethean is showcasing the new 6-touch ActivBoard 2.0 suitable for Windows, Mac and Linux that will be available for shipment in Q1 2014. The ActivBoard Touch is available in two sizes to suit different classroom situations: 78" and 88", providing 4:3 or 16:10 aspects respectively. The infrared arrays hidden in the narrow bezel of the ActivBoard Touch have been optimised to provide a fast reaction, low-latency response to touch or pen, ensuring a superb surface for flowing writing and object manipulation. The six touch points encourage collaboration on the board's surface that is immediately apparent when working with ActivInspire flipcharts or other multi-touch, multi-user applications. Teachers will appreciate the simplicity that the ActivBaord Touch delivers, including the ability of the magnetic pens to stick to the bezel for storage.
- ActivPanel™ Touch - The ActivPanel Touch is a recent addition to the range of options for the front of the class. The ActivPanel Touch is available in two sizes: 65" and 70", though Promethean will be adding a smaller 55" format and a larger 84" unit by April 2014. Each ActivPanel Touch provides a full HD (1080p) display with LED backlighting to ensure consistent brightness, colour and contrast across the entire screen. It includes stereo speakers with 10W per channel and also provides audio output if schools wish to link to an external sound system. Featuring ActivGlideTM surface technology, the ActivPanel Touch combines both visibility and touch elements: high transparency for a clear picture, low reflectivity to counter natural or artificial lighting problems, and a wide viewing angle for excellent legibility even at the fringes of the classroom; an astonishingly smooth touch experience to minimise friction and "finger burn" and lightning-quick response to pen and touch gestures. The narrow bezel of the ActivPanel Touch houses a sophisticated infrared array that responds close to the screen surface for superb accuracy. The six touches supported by the ActivPanel Touch make it an ideal surface for collaboration between students.
3. Individual student assessment & response systems - Provide the data & insights that inform differentiated, personalized instruction while motivating student ownership of learning outcomes
- Promethean and KUNO™ announce a new education tablet learning system, the Promethean KUNO, available for schools in the U.S. Designed to put technology in the hands of every student and to meet the needs of K-12 schools, the new device combines rugged hardware, device management and student response software to bring digital learning to every classroom. The Promethean KUNO 9.7" tablet system is compatible with most district curriculum, software, and applications; its cloud-based platform makes it easy to configure and manage. Additionally, the tablet comes preloaded with Promethean's ActivEngage2 software. This student response and collaboration software provides teachers with real-time feedback about their students' levels of understanding at any given moment. Having that real-time access to this valuable information allows teachers to support and accommodate individual students and makes Promethean KUNO a powerful 1-to1 educational tool that educators can use to empower students to meet their learning goals.
- ActivEngage2™ is a software-based student response system ideal for use in schools that have invested in 1-to-1 laptop initiatives, computer labs, tablets or mobile handheld devices or those with Bring-Your-Own-Device initiatives. ActivEngage2 maximizes current technology investments and eliminates the need for additional hardware by leveraging existing devices to provide real-time data and feedback for teachers and students. Using Promethean's award-winning software ActivInspire, display a question on the interactive display or ask it verbally and learners will respond using the virtual device on their computers or handheld devices. Assign quizzes of varying difficulty with ActivEngage2's Self-Paced Learning functionality to encourage students to work at their own pace and comprehension level. Gain instant insight into student comprehension and progress with an intuitive, integrated application that makes the most of existing classroom technology., ActivEngage2 enables virtual voting across a single classroom, an entire campus and beyond. The software-based system can be managed at a classroom level or centrally on a networked server.
4. Customizable teacher training & development programs - Help educators adjust their teaching styles and unite their curriculum with today's interactive and integrated classroom technology solutions
- Promethean Professional Development & Consultation Services helps teachers, administrators, schools and districts effectively implement educational solutions and support student achievement. Our goal is to engage educators in professional learning that is guided by their needs and requirements to help them seamlessly integrate their Promethean classroom technology into curriculum and instruction. Each professional development course includes a pre-consultation session with a Teaching and Learning Consultant to determine the needs of each individual school/district and the best course of action when delivering content. Consultants can even integrate curriculum assets the district already has invested in as part of the courses.
Promethean's new portfolio of "Connected Classroom" solutions will be showcased at Bett 2014 through an actual classroom experience and modeled by students and teachers from The Ron Clark Academy (U.S.) - a highly acclaimed, nonprofit middle school that promotes innovation and engages its students through energetic teaching balanced by a strict code of discipline. The school has received international recognition for success in educating students and promoting academic rigor, passion, creativity, and increased student engagement in the classroom. Each year, thousands of educators participate in RCA's educator training programs to learn how to replicate the school's style, philosophy and success in their own schools. To date, over 10,000 educators from around the world have participated in RCA's staff development programs.
"We are passionate about education," continued Marshall. "Since our beginnings, we have held true to the conviction that education is central to the well-being of the society in which we live. For us, nothing could be more important. Our ultimate purpose is to motivate the student to learn. I believe that our new portfolio is comprised of transformative new classroom technologies which, when coupled with our intimate knowledge of the learning process, enables Promethean to effectively partner with 21st century teachers to create the dynamic environments that motivate students to learn."
Promethean is a global education company that improves learning productivity by developing, integrating and implementing innovative 21st century learning environments that make everyone more engaged, empowered, and successful. The company is headquartered in Blackburn in Lancashire, England, with U.S. headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. For more information, please visit http://www.prometheanworld.com.
©Promethean 2014. All Rights Reserved. Promethean and ClassFlow are trademarks of Promethean.
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,395
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducte...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 297
Providing the needed data for application development and testing is a huge headache for most organizations. The problems are often the same across companies - speed, quality, cost, and control. Provisioning data can take days or weeks, every time a refresh is required. Using dummy data leads to quality problems. Creating physical copies of large data sets and sending them to distributed teams of developers eats up expensive storage and bandwidth resources. And, all of these copies proliferating...
Jul. 30, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 887
Malicious agents are moving faster than the speed of business. Even more worrisome, most companies are relying on legacy approaches to security that are no longer capable of meeting current threats. In the modern cloud, threat diversity is rapidly expanding, necessitating more sophisticated security protocols than those used in the past or in desktop environments. Yet companies are falling for cloud security myths that were truths at one time but have evolved out of existence.
Jul. 30, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,800
Digital Transformation is the ultimate goal of cloud computing and related initiatives. The phrase is certainly not a precise one, and as subject to hand-waving and distortion as any high-falutin' terminology in the world of information technology. Yet it is an excellent choice of words to describe what enterprise IT—and by extension, organizations in general—should be working to achieve. Digital Transformation means: handling all the data types being found and created in the organizat...
Jul. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,087
Public Cloud IaaS started its life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in adop...
Jul. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,201
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Jul. 30, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 447
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jul. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 486
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,739
MuleSoft has announced the findings of its 2015 Connectivity Benchmark Report on the adoption and business impact of APIs. The findings suggest traditional businesses are quickly evolving into "composable enterprises" built out of hundreds of connected software services, applications and devices. Most are embracing the Internet of Things (IoT) and microservices technologies like Docker. A majority are integrating wearables, like smart watches, and more than half plan to generate revenue with ...
Jul. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EDT
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 376
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Jul. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 264
In their session at 17th Cloud Expo, Hal Schwartz, CEO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), and Chuck Paolillo, CTO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), provide a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. In his role as CEO of Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS), Hal Schwartz provides leadership and direction for the company.
Jul. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. The DevOps approach is a way to increase business agility through collaboration, communication, and integration across different teams in the IT organization. In his session at DevOps Summit, Chris Van Tuin, Chief Technologist for the Western US at Red Hat, will discuss: The acceleration of application delivery for the business with DevOps
Jul. 30, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,114
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, S...
Jul. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,050