|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2014 04:30 AM EST||
LONDON, January 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
22nd - 26th January 2014
At Bett 2014, the leading learning technology event in the UK, Promethean has unveiled a new suite of educational technology, content development & teacher training solutions designed to significantly improve the quality of learning while motivating students to be more successful.
"At Promethean, we are proud to be a leader in bringing forth the technology renaissance in the classroom," said Jim Marshall, Chief Executive Officer at Promethean. "We are working hand-in-hand with educators to help them evolve how teaching and learning happens in their connected, 21st century classrooms. This new approach leverages digital content, learning data, and one-of-a-kind Promethean technologies to create an immersive and interactive experience. The opportunity being presented to Promethean is that we can empower teachers with a new way to motivate and engage students in learning activities."
With a broad array of disparate technologies and services available to educators, Promethean is committed to "Bringing it ALL Together" by offering a one-of-a-kind portfolio of integrated classroom technology solutions that power the learning process and motivate students to learn. The new Promethean portfolio is structured into four core innovation streams:
1. Interactive Lesson-Plan Development & Delivery Platforms - Revolutionize the classroom environment by connecting interactive learning content to a wide array of classroom technologies and devices
- ClassFlow™ - Bett 2014 show attendees will be the first general audience to experience ClassFlow - a transformative, cloud-based classroom orchestration tool that enables teachers to create lessons, deliver interactive content across multiple devices, and assess student understanding. With ClassFlow, teachers can build and access interactive lesson plans from any web browser. In addition, ClassFlow allows teachers to foster student engagement by connecting mobile devices such as educational tablets, smartphones, and laptops to classroom displays and interactive whiteboards. As a result, teachers can use real-time student responses to instantly adjust any lesson plan when it matters the most - in the moment of learning. Experience ClassFlow at http://www.classflow.com.
2. Next-Generation Digital Classroom Surface Systems - Motivate students to collaborate & learn by facilitating active, engaging, & effective learning experiences
- ActivWall™ - The next-generation of student collaboration will be enabled through Promethean's new ActivWall - a stunning, fully interactive surface that is positioned "front and back" in the classroom. Showcased at Bett 2014 as a prototype, the ActivWall provides the opportunity to transform teaching, using the vertical surfaces in the classroom, not only as a point for whole class instruction, but as the focal point for small team collaboration. The ActivWall features Promethean's new optical technology that supports differentiated pen (i.e. the system identifies whether the contact is a pen or touch and operates accordingly) and up to 20 simultaneous touches. The ActivWall prototype is being shown at Bett 2014 with full HD images and stereo sound, making the quality of the viewing experience equal to that of a flat panel display. For simplicity, the ActivWall self-calibrates within a couple of seconds when a new computer is attached.
- ActivBoard™ Touch - Released in early summer 2013, the ActivBoard Touch has been available until recently only for Windows and in dual-touch form. For Bett 2014, Promethean is showcasing the new 6-touch ActivBoard 2.0 suitable for Windows, Mac and Linux that will be available for shipment in Q1 2014. The ActivBoard Touch is available in two sizes to suit different classroom situations: 78" and 88", providing 4:3 or 16:10 aspects respectively. The infrared arrays hidden in the narrow bezel of the ActivBoard Touch have been optimised to provide a fast reaction, low-latency response to touch or pen, ensuring a superb surface for flowing writing and object manipulation. The six touch points encourage collaboration on the board's surface that is immediately apparent when working with ActivInspire flipcharts or other multi-touch, multi-user applications. Teachers will appreciate the simplicity that the ActivBaord Touch delivers, including the ability of the magnetic pens to stick to the bezel for storage.
- ActivPanel™ Touch - The ActivPanel Touch is a recent addition to the range of options for the front of the class. The ActivPanel Touch is available in two sizes: 65" and 70", though Promethean will be adding a smaller 55" format and a larger 84" unit by April 2014. Each ActivPanel Touch provides a full HD (1080p) display with LED backlighting to ensure consistent brightness, colour and contrast across the entire screen. It includes stereo speakers with 10W per channel and also provides audio output if schools wish to link to an external sound system. Featuring ActivGlideTM surface technology, the ActivPanel Touch combines both visibility and touch elements: high transparency for a clear picture, low reflectivity to counter natural or artificial lighting problems, and a wide viewing angle for excellent legibility even at the fringes of the classroom; an astonishingly smooth touch experience to minimise friction and "finger burn" and lightning-quick response to pen and touch gestures. The narrow bezel of the ActivPanel Touch houses a sophisticated infrared array that responds close to the screen surface for superb accuracy. The six touches supported by the ActivPanel Touch make it an ideal surface for collaboration between students.
3. Individual student assessment & response systems - Provide the data & insights that inform differentiated, personalized instruction while motivating student ownership of learning outcomes
- Promethean and KUNO™ announce a new education tablet learning system, the Promethean KUNO, available for schools in the U.S. Designed to put technology in the hands of every student and to meet the needs of K-12 schools, the new device combines rugged hardware, device management and student response software to bring digital learning to every classroom. The Promethean KUNO 9.7" tablet system is compatible with most district curriculum, software, and applications; its cloud-based platform makes it easy to configure and manage. Additionally, the tablet comes preloaded with Promethean's ActivEngage2 software. This student response and collaboration software provides teachers with real-time feedback about their students' levels of understanding at any given moment. Having that real-time access to this valuable information allows teachers to support and accommodate individual students and makes Promethean KUNO a powerful 1-to1 educational tool that educators can use to empower students to meet their learning goals.
- ActivEngage2™ is a software-based student response system ideal for use in schools that have invested in 1-to-1 laptop initiatives, computer labs, tablets or mobile handheld devices or those with Bring-Your-Own-Device initiatives. ActivEngage2 maximizes current technology investments and eliminates the need for additional hardware by leveraging existing devices to provide real-time data and feedback for teachers and students. Using Promethean's award-winning software ActivInspire, display a question on the interactive display or ask it verbally and learners will respond using the virtual device on their computers or handheld devices. Assign quizzes of varying difficulty with ActivEngage2's Self-Paced Learning functionality to encourage students to work at their own pace and comprehension level. Gain instant insight into student comprehension and progress with an intuitive, integrated application that makes the most of existing classroom technology., ActivEngage2 enables virtual voting across a single classroom, an entire campus and beyond. The software-based system can be managed at a classroom level or centrally on a networked server.
4. Customizable teacher training & development programs - Help educators adjust their teaching styles and unite their curriculum with today's interactive and integrated classroom technology solutions
- Promethean Professional Development & Consultation Services helps teachers, administrators, schools and districts effectively implement educational solutions and support student achievement. Our goal is to engage educators in professional learning that is guided by their needs and requirements to help them seamlessly integrate their Promethean classroom technology into curriculum and instruction. Each professional development course includes a pre-consultation session with a Teaching and Learning Consultant to determine the needs of each individual school/district and the best course of action when delivering content. Consultants can even integrate curriculum assets the district already has invested in as part of the courses.
Promethean's new portfolio of "Connected Classroom" solutions will be showcased at Bett 2014 through an actual classroom experience and modeled by students and teachers from The Ron Clark Academy (U.S.) - a highly acclaimed, nonprofit middle school that promotes innovation and engages its students through energetic teaching balanced by a strict code of discipline. The school has received international recognition for success in educating students and promoting academic rigor, passion, creativity, and increased student engagement in the classroom. Each year, thousands of educators participate in RCA's educator training programs to learn how to replicate the school's style, philosophy and success in their own schools. To date, over 10,000 educators from around the world have participated in RCA's staff development programs.
"We are passionate about education," continued Marshall. "Since our beginnings, we have held true to the conviction that education is central to the well-being of the society in which we live. For us, nothing could be more important. Our ultimate purpose is to motivate the student to learn. I believe that our new portfolio is comprised of transformative new classroom technologies which, when coupled with our intimate knowledge of the learning process, enables Promethean to effectively partner with 21st century teachers to create the dynamic environments that motivate students to learn."
Promethean is a global education company that improves learning productivity by developing, integrating and implementing innovative 21st century learning environments that make everyone more engaged, empowered, and successful. The company is headquartered in Blackburn in Lancashire, England, with U.S. headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. For more information, please visit http://www.prometheanworld.com.
©Promethean 2014. All Rights Reserved. Promethean and ClassFlow are trademarks of Promethean.
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 6, 2016 07:15 AM EST Reads: 706
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 6, 2016 07:15 AM EST Reads: 1,821
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 6, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 802
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 6, 2016 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,098
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 6, 2016 06:15 AM EST Reads: 757
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 6, 2016 06:00 AM EST Reads: 459
Kubernetes is a new and revolutionary open-sourced system for managing containers across multiple hosts in a cluster. Ansible is a simple IT automation tool for just about any requirement for reproducible environments. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Patrick Galbraith, a principal engineer at HPE, discussed how to build a fully functional Kubernetes cluster on a number of virtual machines or bare-metal hosts. Also included will be a brief demonstration of running a Galera MyS...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:45 AM EST Reads: 5,290
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 6, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,645
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 998
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 1,929
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Dec. 6, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 1,753
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 819
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 6, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 1,848
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 853
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,199