|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2014 02:11 PM EST||
LONDON, Jan. 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
Progressive Events Towards IMO Ratification will Unify Market Structure and Augment Market Prospects
This research service on the global ballast water treatment systems market highlights the market trends, drivers and restraints, competitive dynamics, addressable market size, and forecasts for this market until 2023. Having a base year of 2013, the study throws light on the IMO Convention scenario and prospective opportunities for equipment suppliers post-ratification. Different ballast water treatment technologies, which are currently defining the market structure, have been discussed in detail followed by an elaborate analysis of the dominating technologies from 2005 to 2013, based on a robust reference list collated from key participants in the ballast water treatment systems market.
Market Size and Growth
• The 2013 global ballast water treatment systems (BWTS) market, which equalled a revenue total of $X million, is forecast to reach a market size of $Xbillion by 2023 experiencing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) ofX%.
• Europe will dominate market revenues from 2017 to 2019 while Asia-Pacific (APAC) will display consistent performance throughout the study period.
• Significant developments on the legislation front will boost market growth in this entirely regulation-driven market, after the expected International Maritime Organisation (IMO) certification ratification in 2014.
• The recent ratification by Germany to raise the dead weight tonnage (DWT) metrics to X%, along with additional support from US Coast Guard (USCG) and other state legislations, will play a significant role in sustaining the momentum for BWTS installations.
• The retrofit market will occupy a substantial per cent of the global market share during its peak installation period in 2018.
• Filtration + UV systems seem to have penetrated the BWTS market quite effectively. However, challenges due to energy intensity remain key concerns which are successfully being addressed by the newer models.
• Chemical treatment technologies using electro chlorination, electrolysis (EL), and electro chemical (EC) treatment, have carved a niche position for themselves in the market as well, especially in the case of bulk carriers and large tanker installations.
• Other processes using cavitation, heat, ultrasound, and Electro-Cleen systems are also being considered by ship owners for custom installations.
• Market competition has certainly intensified from X BWTS in the 2010 market scenario compared to the X competitors and approximatelyXBWTS in the current market situation.
• With more certainty about the legislation timeline and more clarity about the BWTS specifications and requirements, equipment suppliers are constantly striving to update their products according to market needs and customer preferences.
• Two major competitors launched upgraded product lines in 2013 with considerable improvements in power consumption and space savings criteria.
1. The USCG regulations will supersede IMO ratification, thus providing an impetus to the BWTS market, even if the IMO Convention is not confirmed.
2. Filtration + UV will witness escalated market acceptance with key challenges linked with energy consumption being effectively addressed by the upgraded versions.
3. Market competition will significantly intensify among existing competitors, with the top X participants accounting for at least X% of the market.
4. Customers in Asia-Pacific will prefer cost- effective BWTS, while European ship owners will base their choice on aftersales services and associated environmental benefits.
5. Constant upgrades to product lines and strategic global partnerships will play a critical role for companies to achieve their growth objectives.
• A ballast is a material that is used to provide stability to any structure.
• Ballast water is the water that is taken on-board a vessel in order to maintain balance, stability, and structural integrity of the vessel, especially when the ship is empty, after discharging the cargo.
• Ballast water discharge refers to the stored water that is discharged when the ship is loading the cargo, particularly to balance the ship's stability.
• Ballast water capacity refers to the total volumetric capacity of the tank in a vessel used for storing, carrying, loading, and discharging the ballast water.
• Ballast water treatment systems refer to the equipment which is used to process ballast water. The physical, chemical, biological, or mechanical methods used for treatment, can be used alone or in combination, to avoid or minimise the harmful effects of ballast water discharge containing harmful aquatic organisms and pathogens.
• Shipping transports close to X% of the global economic trade and ships require ballast water to maintain balance and stability of empty vessels, to ensure the safe and efficient operation of modern shipping.
• However, the ballast water taken at the port of embarking consists of a variety of organisms such as bacteria, viruses, plants, and animals that get transported to the new marine ecosystem at the port where the ship is loaded with cargo and the ballast water is discharged.
• Though most of these organisms, such as viruses and bacteria, perish in their new environment due to the challenges of an unfriendly aquatic atmosphere, many other invasive species such as worms, invertebrates, and other microbes survive these harsh conditions and pose a harmful threat for the native species prevailing in their natural waters.
• This situation became highly intense with the hostile species causing a major ecological shift and ultimately leading to ecosystem imbalances and economic damage.
• In order to halt the inadvertent mix of organisms through ballast water discharge, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) adopted the International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships' Ballast Water and Sediments in 2004, known as Ballast Water Management or the BWM Convention.
• The convention dictates two standards: D1.) ballast water exchange standard; and D2.) ballast water performance standard, for the safe discharge of ballast water and specifies definite timelines for adopting them. However, the D1 and D2 legislations will be adopted and the convention will only come into effectX months after X flag states—representing % of the world's shipping tonnage—ratify the Ballast Water Management Convention.
• As of 20 June 2013, the total number of contracting states to the BWM Convention reached X, representing X% of the world tonnage after the recent ratification by Germany.
Geographic coverage: Global
Study period: 2011–2023
Base year: 2013
Forecast period: 2014–2023
Monetary unit: US Dollars
• The global ballast water treatment (BWT) systems' market size is defined as the total revenue generated by BWT equipment sales across the globe, based on the market prices of the systems. Considering 2013 as the base year, the sales and forecast figures include revenues generated only from treatment systems.
• However, market share analysis has been discussed for the year 2012 because equipment suppliers are yet to witness total BWT system sales for the base year.
• Installation and commissioning costs, though significant, are excluded from market revenue calculations, owing to the fact that they differ largely by technology, vessel types, and installation position. Additional components necessary for installation procedures, scheduled and ad hoc operations, and maintenance costs are excluded from the market estimate calculations as well.
• Prices refer to the BWT equipment system as a whole package, and not for a single/separate component within the system.
• The global study is primarily segregated into four regions, covering Asia-Pacific (Southeast and Far East Asia, and New Zealand); Europe (Western, Central, and Eastern Europe, including Russia and CIS countries); the Americas (North, South, and Latin America); and Middle East and Africa.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
When will the IMO Convention be ratified and how will the market grow post-ratification?
What will the effect of alternate management systems (AMS) and the USCG regulations be on the current market scenario?
Will the current technologies conquer the market or will there be new technological entrants?
How will the competitive structure of the market change in the forthcoming years and what is the current addressable market size?
Are the ballast water treatment systems offered today meeting customers' needs or is additional development required?
Will ship owners consider retrofitting options prior to ratification and what are the key industry challenges that equipment suppliers are facing?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Overview
3. Total Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
• Challenges, Drivers, and Restraints
• Forecasts and Trends
• Market Share and Competitive Analysis
• Analysis of Ballast Water Treatment Technologies
• Mega Trends and Industry Convergence Implications
4. CEO's 360 Degree Perspective
5. Newly Built Vessels Segment Breakdown
6. Existing Vessels Segment Breakdown
7. Asia-Pacific Breakdown
8. Americas Breakdown
9. Europe Breakdown
10. Middle East and Africa Breakdown
11. The Last Word (Conclusions and Implications)
Read the full report:
Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,516
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,611
What does it look like when you have access to cloud infrastructure and platform under the same roof? Let’s talk about the different layers of Technology as a Service: who cares, what runs where, and how does it all fit together. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Lead Technology Evangelist at SoftLayer, an IBM company, spoke about the picture being painted by IBM Cloud and how the tools being crafted can help fill the gaps in your IT infrastructure.
Sep. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,120
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 30, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,368
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 30, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 697
Whether they’re located in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment, cloud technologies are constantly evolving. While the innovation is exciting, the end mission of delivering business value and rapidly producing incremental product features is paramount. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Kiran Chitturi, CTO Architect at Sungard AS, will discuss DevOps culture, its evolution of frameworks and technologies, and how it is achieving maturity. He will also cover various st...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,002
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Sep. 30, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 5,315
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 395
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,824
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 732
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,587
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Sep. 30, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,660
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Sep. 30, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 400
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Sep. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 582
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,675