|By Marketwired .||
|January 23, 2014 01:50 PM EST||
DETROIT, MI -- (Marketwired) -- 01/23/14 -- One of the most important decisions to make when planning your cruise is choosing the ship that best meets your particular needs. Ships sizes range from megaships (over 4,000 passengers) to very small vessels and luxury yachts whose passengers number in mere dozens.
CruiseCompete has divided today's ships into six categories for your reading pleasure:
XS, S, M, L, XL and XXL
Below is information on the benefits each type of ship provides to cruise travelers.
Extra, Extra Large Ships (XXL) - 4,000+ passengers
These megaships boast unparalleled options in entertainment and amenities. They truly give the impression of being on board a floating city and provide endless choices in dining, activities and shopping (some are so large as to even incorporate a "mall" area with brand name stores). If you desire a resort-type feel from your cruise or worry about sea-sickness, this may be your best option.
Some benefits of XXL ships:
- A large variety of cabin options in every price range
- Dining options that range from small, informal cafes to 5-star restaurants
- Over the top entertainment options that include Broadway-quality shows, 3-D movie theaters, large casinos, extensive waterpark areas and more
- Extremely comprehensive children's programs and amenities
- Increased ship stability; little sea motion
Example XXL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Allure of the Seas and the Oasis of the Seas
- Disney Cruises: Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy
- Costa Cruises: Costa Diadema
Extra Large Ships (XL) - 3,000-3,999 passengers
These extra-large ships are a destination unto themselves and are especially good for families and multigenerational cruises due to the many amenities found onboard. There is something for everyone, and many cruisers enjoy their time onboard as much as they do the destinations they visit.
Some benefits of XL ships:
- An abundance of cabin options in many different price ranges
- A variety of dining options, ranging from ultra-casual to very upscale and formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Round-the-clock facilities and activities, such as casinos, water parks, gyms and spas
- Excellent entertainment options and Broadway-quality shows like Royal Caribbean's productions of Chicago, Hairspray and Saturday Night Fever
Example XL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Adventure of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Splendor, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Dream, Carnival Breeze, Carnival Magic
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Silhouette
- MSC Cruises: MSC Poesia, MSC Divina, MSC Fantasia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Splendida
- Costa Cruises: Costa Fortuna
Large Ships (L) - 2,000 to 2,999 passengers
Large ships offer many of the same amenities as the XL ships, on a slightly smaller scale. They don't necessarily require a ship map to navigate to entertainment and activity options, and tend to have more personal touches.
Some benefits of L ships:
- A large number of cabin options in different price ranges
- Numerous dining options, ranging from very casual to formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Also popular with older cruisers, as the pace onboard is not as frenetic
- A variety of activities, such as casinos, gyms and spas and often there are bridge instructors on longer itineraries
- Entertainment options may include things like a fireworks display, outdoor movies and stage shows
- Onboard lecturers are often more cerebral with topics like history, politics and geography.
Example L Ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Legend of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Golden Princess, Grand Princess, Star Princess, Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess
- Cunard Cruises: Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2
- Holland America Line: HAL Eurodam, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
- Disney Cruises: Disney Magic, Disney Wonder
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Elation, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Pride, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Glory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Conquest
- MSC Cruises: MSC Opera, MSC Armonia, MSC Lirica, MSC Musica, MSC Orchestra, MSC Magnifica
- Costa Cruises: Costa Mediterranea, Costa Luminosa, Costa Deliziosa, Costa Serena, Costa Fascinosa, Costa Favolosa, Costa Pacifica, Costa Magica
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Solstice
Medium Ships (M) - 951 to 1,999 passengers
Medium ships generally offer a slower pace than their large counterparts, with fewer crowds, less noise and more modest offerings when it comes to activity and entertainment options. Many cruisers prefer this size of ship for its "relaxation" vibe. Many of these ships tend to be more luxurious with more personal service.
Some benefits of M ships:
- Many of the premium cruise lines have ships that fall into this category
- Several dining options
- Medium-size ships still tend to have amenities like casinos, pools and spas
- Entertainment options tend to include more enrichment activities
- Attracts a more mature crowd that is focused on relaxation and enjoyment of the voyage
- Smaller size of the ships open up options as far as itineraries and ports
- Itineraries are likely to be 10 days or longer
Example M Ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Maasdam, HAL Ryndam, HAL Statendam, HAL Veendam, HAL Amsterdam, HAL Rotterdam, HAL Volendam, HAL Zaandam, HAL Oosterdam, HAL Westerdam, HAL Zuiderdam, HAL Noordam
- Princess Cruises: Coral Princess, Island Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Sun Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Serenity
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Marina, Oceania Riviera
- Costa Cruises: Costa Classica, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica
- MSC Cruises: MSC Sinfonia
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Century
- Celebration Cruise Line: Bahamas Celebration
Small Ships (S) - 950 passengers or less
Small ships fill a niche for cruisers that are looking for more in-depth exploration of the regions they visit. They can visit ports that are inaccessible to larger ships, and exotic itineraries are the standard. Most river cruise ships and almost all of the luxury lines have ships that fall into this category.
Some benefits of S ships:
- Most cabins are suites and have balconies
- Luxury and service are frequently a focal point of a small ship voyage
- Amenities, while limited, tend to be very high end, including dining, shore excursions, spas and enrichment activities.
- Small ships trend toward a truly all-inclusive fare
- Smaller dining and shared areas lend themselves lively conversations and closer relationships with fellow passengers.
- Itineraries tend to be 10 days or longer
Example S ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Prinsendam
- Princess Cruises: Ocean Princess, Pacific Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Symphony
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Insignia, Oceania Nautica, Oceania Regatta
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Spirit
- Azamara Club Cruises: Azamara Journey, Azamara Quest
- Costa Cruises: Costa Voyager
- Viking Cruises: Viking Star
- Voyages of Discovery Cruises: MV Voyager
Extra Small Ships (XS) - 1-499 passengers
Very small ships offer a private, exclusive ambiance, along with personalized service and the advantage of being able to port almost anywhere. Passengers get a feel for the water and experience destinations in a very close-up, personal way.
Some benefits of XS ships:
- The most important benefit of small ship cruising is an immersive experience in the destination. Very small ships allow an in-depth exploration of nature, culture, history and learning not possible on larger ships.
- Passengers tend to be a well-traveled, worldly crowd who enjoy the pursuit of education and exploration of the destinations they visit
- Very personal attention from the crew; with luxury cruises this translates to personal attendants that see to your every need
- More solitude and the opportunity to relax and pursue your own interests
- Seating is usually open, with no set tables
Example XS ships:
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Navigator
- SeaDream Yacht Club: SeaDream I, SeaDream II
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Galapagos, Silver Discoverer, Silver Explorer, Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper
- Seabourn Cruises: Seabourn Legend, Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Sojourn, Seabourn Spirit
- Windstar Cruises: Wind Surf, Wind Spirit, Wind Star, Star Pride
- Paul Gauguin Cruises: m/v Tere Moana, MS Paul Gauguin
- Variety Cruises: M/Y Pegasus, M/S Galileo, M/Y Harmony V, S/C Panorama, S/C Panorama II, M/Y Variety Voyager
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Xpedition
- Swan Hellenic Cruises: MV Minerva
- Voyages to Antiquity Cruises: MV Aegean Odyssey
- Star Clippers Cruises: Star Clipper, Star Flyer, Royal Clipper
No matter what your ship size, the cruise experts at CruiseCompete are there to assist you in finding the right destination and ship for your cruise vacation. Simply visit www.CruiseCompete.com for more information.
Note to Editors About CruiseCompete:
CruiseCompete has been the premier online cruise marketplace since 2003 (see media praises). Consumers come to CruiseCompete to research, get advice from our cruise experts and ultimately book cruise vacations. CruiseCompete has generated over 12 million quotes since 2003. Consumers compare offers and advice from trusted travel agents, are able to see consumer reviews of agents and agencies responding, and then contact travel agents directly for more information and to book a cruise.
CruiseCompete CruiseTrends offers monthly stats for an inside look at consumer trends and what consumers want in cruise vacations.
CruiseCompete takes top honors in Travel + Leisure Magazine's "Top 60 Best Apps and Websites for Travelers" with an honorable mention. The Wall Street Journal praised CruiseCompete as "Best Cruise Travel Site," The New York Times says, "... independent travel agents compete to offer you the best deal," and follows similar praise from Travel + Leisure, Kiplinger's and The Washington Post. The Street says, "Score luxury cruises at bargain prices."
CruiseCompete is an Iowa limited liability company and is not a travel agency nor owned by a travel agency.
Heidi M. Allison
Shane and Shane, Inc.
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 762
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 28, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,389
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,353
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,772
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,158
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,095
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,967
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,834
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,007
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,359
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,781
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,106
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 745
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,586
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,893