|By Marketwired .||
|January 23, 2014 01:50 PM EST||
DETROIT, MI -- (Marketwired) -- 01/23/14 -- One of the most important decisions to make when planning your cruise is choosing the ship that best meets your particular needs. Ships sizes range from megaships (over 4,000 passengers) to very small vessels and luxury yachts whose passengers number in mere dozens.
CruiseCompete has divided today's ships into six categories for your reading pleasure:
XS, S, M, L, XL and XXL
Below is information on the benefits each type of ship provides to cruise travelers.
Extra, Extra Large Ships (XXL) - 4,000+ passengers
These megaships boast unparalleled options in entertainment and amenities. They truly give the impression of being on board a floating city and provide endless choices in dining, activities and shopping (some are so large as to even incorporate a "mall" area with brand name stores). If you desire a resort-type feel from your cruise or worry about sea-sickness, this may be your best option.
Some benefits of XXL ships:
- A large variety of cabin options in every price range
- Dining options that range from small, informal cafes to 5-star restaurants
- Over the top entertainment options that include Broadway-quality shows, 3-D movie theaters, large casinos, extensive waterpark areas and more
- Extremely comprehensive children's programs and amenities
- Increased ship stability; little sea motion
Example XXL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Allure of the Seas and the Oasis of the Seas
- Disney Cruises: Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy
- Costa Cruises: Costa Diadema
Extra Large Ships (XL) - 3,000-3,999 passengers
These extra-large ships are a destination unto themselves and are especially good for families and multigenerational cruises due to the many amenities found onboard. There is something for everyone, and many cruisers enjoy their time onboard as much as they do the destinations they visit.
Some benefits of XL ships:
- An abundance of cabin options in many different price ranges
- A variety of dining options, ranging from ultra-casual to very upscale and formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Round-the-clock facilities and activities, such as casinos, water parks, gyms and spas
- Excellent entertainment options and Broadway-quality shows like Royal Caribbean's productions of Chicago, Hairspray and Saturday Night Fever
Example XL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Adventure of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Splendor, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Dream, Carnival Breeze, Carnival Magic
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Silhouette
- MSC Cruises: MSC Poesia, MSC Divina, MSC Fantasia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Splendida
- Costa Cruises: Costa Fortuna
Large Ships (L) - 2,000 to 2,999 passengers
Large ships offer many of the same amenities as the XL ships, on a slightly smaller scale. They don't necessarily require a ship map to navigate to entertainment and activity options, and tend to have more personal touches.
Some benefits of L ships:
- A large number of cabin options in different price ranges
- Numerous dining options, ranging from very casual to formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Also popular with older cruisers, as the pace onboard is not as frenetic
- A variety of activities, such as casinos, gyms and spas and often there are bridge instructors on longer itineraries
- Entertainment options may include things like a fireworks display, outdoor movies and stage shows
- Onboard lecturers are often more cerebral with topics like history, politics and geography.
Example L Ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Legend of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Golden Princess, Grand Princess, Star Princess, Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess
- Cunard Cruises: Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2
- Holland America Line: HAL Eurodam, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
- Disney Cruises: Disney Magic, Disney Wonder
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Elation, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Pride, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Glory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Conquest
- MSC Cruises: MSC Opera, MSC Armonia, MSC Lirica, MSC Musica, MSC Orchestra, MSC Magnifica
- Costa Cruises: Costa Mediterranea, Costa Luminosa, Costa Deliziosa, Costa Serena, Costa Fascinosa, Costa Favolosa, Costa Pacifica, Costa Magica
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Solstice
Medium Ships (M) - 951 to 1,999 passengers
Medium ships generally offer a slower pace than their large counterparts, with fewer crowds, less noise and more modest offerings when it comes to activity and entertainment options. Many cruisers prefer this size of ship for its "relaxation" vibe. Many of these ships tend to be more luxurious with more personal service.
Some benefits of M ships:
- Many of the premium cruise lines have ships that fall into this category
- Several dining options
- Medium-size ships still tend to have amenities like casinos, pools and spas
- Entertainment options tend to include more enrichment activities
- Attracts a more mature crowd that is focused on relaxation and enjoyment of the voyage
- Smaller size of the ships open up options as far as itineraries and ports
- Itineraries are likely to be 10 days or longer
Example M Ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Maasdam, HAL Ryndam, HAL Statendam, HAL Veendam, HAL Amsterdam, HAL Rotterdam, HAL Volendam, HAL Zaandam, HAL Oosterdam, HAL Westerdam, HAL Zuiderdam, HAL Noordam
- Princess Cruises: Coral Princess, Island Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Sun Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Serenity
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Marina, Oceania Riviera
- Costa Cruises: Costa Classica, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica
- MSC Cruises: MSC Sinfonia
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Century
- Celebration Cruise Line: Bahamas Celebration
Small Ships (S) - 950 passengers or less
Small ships fill a niche for cruisers that are looking for more in-depth exploration of the regions they visit. They can visit ports that are inaccessible to larger ships, and exotic itineraries are the standard. Most river cruise ships and almost all of the luxury lines have ships that fall into this category.
Some benefits of S ships:
- Most cabins are suites and have balconies
- Luxury and service are frequently a focal point of a small ship voyage
- Amenities, while limited, tend to be very high end, including dining, shore excursions, spas and enrichment activities.
- Small ships trend toward a truly all-inclusive fare
- Smaller dining and shared areas lend themselves lively conversations and closer relationships with fellow passengers.
- Itineraries tend to be 10 days or longer
Example S ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Prinsendam
- Princess Cruises: Ocean Princess, Pacific Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Symphony
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Insignia, Oceania Nautica, Oceania Regatta
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Spirit
- Azamara Club Cruises: Azamara Journey, Azamara Quest
- Costa Cruises: Costa Voyager
- Viking Cruises: Viking Star
- Voyages of Discovery Cruises: MV Voyager
Extra Small Ships (XS) - 1-499 passengers
Very small ships offer a private, exclusive ambiance, along with personalized service and the advantage of being able to port almost anywhere. Passengers get a feel for the water and experience destinations in a very close-up, personal way.
Some benefits of XS ships:
- The most important benefit of small ship cruising is an immersive experience in the destination. Very small ships allow an in-depth exploration of nature, culture, history and learning not possible on larger ships.
- Passengers tend to be a well-traveled, worldly crowd who enjoy the pursuit of education and exploration of the destinations they visit
- Very personal attention from the crew; with luxury cruises this translates to personal attendants that see to your every need
- More solitude and the opportunity to relax and pursue your own interests
- Seating is usually open, with no set tables
Example XS ships:
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Navigator
- SeaDream Yacht Club: SeaDream I, SeaDream II
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Galapagos, Silver Discoverer, Silver Explorer, Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper
- Seabourn Cruises: Seabourn Legend, Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Sojourn, Seabourn Spirit
- Windstar Cruises: Wind Surf, Wind Spirit, Wind Star, Star Pride
- Paul Gauguin Cruises: m/v Tere Moana, MS Paul Gauguin
- Variety Cruises: M/Y Pegasus, M/S Galileo, M/Y Harmony V, S/C Panorama, S/C Panorama II, M/Y Variety Voyager
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Xpedition
- Swan Hellenic Cruises: MV Minerva
- Voyages to Antiquity Cruises: MV Aegean Odyssey
- Star Clippers Cruises: Star Clipper, Star Flyer, Royal Clipper
No matter what your ship size, the cruise experts at CruiseCompete are there to assist you in finding the right destination and ship for your cruise vacation. Simply visit www.CruiseCompete.com for more information.
Note to Editors About CruiseCompete:
CruiseCompete has been the premier online cruise marketplace since 2003 (see media praises). Consumers come to CruiseCompete to research, get advice from our cruise experts and ultimately book cruise vacations. CruiseCompete has generated over 12 million quotes since 2003. Consumers compare offers and advice from trusted travel agents, are able to see consumer reviews of agents and agencies responding, and then contact travel agents directly for more information and to book a cruise.
CruiseCompete CruiseTrends offers monthly stats for an inside look at consumer trends and what consumers want in cruise vacations.
CruiseCompete takes top honors in Travel + Leisure Magazine's "Top 60 Best Apps and Websites for Travelers" with an honorable mention. The Wall Street Journal praised CruiseCompete as "Best Cruise Travel Site," The New York Times says, "... independent travel agents compete to offer you the best deal," and follows similar praise from Travel + Leisure, Kiplinger's and The Washington Post. The Street says, "Score luxury cruises at bargain prices."
CruiseCompete is an Iowa limited liability company and is not a travel agency nor owned by a travel agency.
Heidi M. Allison
Shane and Shane, Inc.
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 20, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 810
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 20, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 33,843
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 20, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 867
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 20, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 8,874
Effectively SMBs and government programs must address compounded regulatory compliance requirements. The most recent are Controlled Unclassified Information and the EU’s GDPR have Board Level implications. Managing sensitive data protection will likely result in acquisition criteria, demonstration requests and new requirements. Developers, as part of the pre-planning process and the associated supply chain, could benefit from updating their code libraries and design by incorporating changes.
Oct. 20, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,562
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 20, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,938
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Oct. 20, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,808
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 20, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,776
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 20, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 826
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, discussed how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technologi...
Oct. 20, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,775
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 20, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 839
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 20, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,611
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 20, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 11,015
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 883