|By Marketwired .||
|January 23, 2014 01:50 PM EST||
DETROIT, MI -- (Marketwired) -- 01/23/14 -- One of the most important decisions to make when planning your cruise is choosing the ship that best meets your particular needs. Ships sizes range from megaships (over 4,000 passengers) to very small vessels and luxury yachts whose passengers number in mere dozens.
CruiseCompete has divided today's ships into six categories for your reading pleasure:
XS, S, M, L, XL and XXL
Below is information on the benefits each type of ship provides to cruise travelers.
Extra, Extra Large Ships (XXL) - 4,000+ passengers
These megaships boast unparalleled options in entertainment and amenities. They truly give the impression of being on board a floating city and provide endless choices in dining, activities and shopping (some are so large as to even incorporate a "mall" area with brand name stores). If you desire a resort-type feel from your cruise or worry about sea-sickness, this may be your best option.
Some benefits of XXL ships:
- A large variety of cabin options in every price range
- Dining options that range from small, informal cafes to 5-star restaurants
- Over the top entertainment options that include Broadway-quality shows, 3-D movie theaters, large casinos, extensive waterpark areas and more
- Extremely comprehensive children's programs and amenities
- Increased ship stability; little sea motion
Example XXL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Allure of the Seas and the Oasis of the Seas
- Disney Cruises: Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy
- Costa Cruises: Costa Diadema
Extra Large Ships (XL) - 3,000-3,999 passengers
These extra-large ships are a destination unto themselves and are especially good for families and multigenerational cruises due to the many amenities found onboard. There is something for everyone, and many cruisers enjoy their time onboard as much as they do the destinations they visit.
Some benefits of XL ships:
- An abundance of cabin options in many different price ranges
- A variety of dining options, ranging from ultra-casual to very upscale and formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Round-the-clock facilities and activities, such as casinos, water parks, gyms and spas
- Excellent entertainment options and Broadway-quality shows like Royal Caribbean's productions of Chicago, Hairspray and Saturday Night Fever
Example XL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Adventure of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Splendor, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Dream, Carnival Breeze, Carnival Magic
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Silhouette
- MSC Cruises: MSC Poesia, MSC Divina, MSC Fantasia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Splendida
- Costa Cruises: Costa Fortuna
Large Ships (L) - 2,000 to 2,999 passengers
Large ships offer many of the same amenities as the XL ships, on a slightly smaller scale. They don't necessarily require a ship map to navigate to entertainment and activity options, and tend to have more personal touches.
Some benefits of L ships:
- A large number of cabin options in different price ranges
- Numerous dining options, ranging from very casual to formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Also popular with older cruisers, as the pace onboard is not as frenetic
- A variety of activities, such as casinos, gyms and spas and often there are bridge instructors on longer itineraries
- Entertainment options may include things like a fireworks display, outdoor movies and stage shows
- Onboard lecturers are often more cerebral with topics like history, politics and geography.
Example L Ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Legend of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Golden Princess, Grand Princess, Star Princess, Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess
- Cunard Cruises: Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2
- Holland America Line: HAL Eurodam, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
- Disney Cruises: Disney Magic, Disney Wonder
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Elation, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Pride, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Glory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Conquest
- MSC Cruises: MSC Opera, MSC Armonia, MSC Lirica, MSC Musica, MSC Orchestra, MSC Magnifica
- Costa Cruises: Costa Mediterranea, Costa Luminosa, Costa Deliziosa, Costa Serena, Costa Fascinosa, Costa Favolosa, Costa Pacifica, Costa Magica
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Solstice
Medium Ships (M) - 951 to 1,999 passengers
Medium ships generally offer a slower pace than their large counterparts, with fewer crowds, less noise and more modest offerings when it comes to activity and entertainment options. Many cruisers prefer this size of ship for its "relaxation" vibe. Many of these ships tend to be more luxurious with more personal service.
Some benefits of M ships:
- Many of the premium cruise lines have ships that fall into this category
- Several dining options
- Medium-size ships still tend to have amenities like casinos, pools and spas
- Entertainment options tend to include more enrichment activities
- Attracts a more mature crowd that is focused on relaxation and enjoyment of the voyage
- Smaller size of the ships open up options as far as itineraries and ports
- Itineraries are likely to be 10 days or longer
Example M Ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Maasdam, HAL Ryndam, HAL Statendam, HAL Veendam, HAL Amsterdam, HAL Rotterdam, HAL Volendam, HAL Zaandam, HAL Oosterdam, HAL Westerdam, HAL Zuiderdam, HAL Noordam
- Princess Cruises: Coral Princess, Island Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Sun Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Serenity
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Marina, Oceania Riviera
- Costa Cruises: Costa Classica, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica
- MSC Cruises: MSC Sinfonia
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Century
- Celebration Cruise Line: Bahamas Celebration
Small Ships (S) - 950 passengers or less
Small ships fill a niche for cruisers that are looking for more in-depth exploration of the regions they visit. They can visit ports that are inaccessible to larger ships, and exotic itineraries are the standard. Most river cruise ships and almost all of the luxury lines have ships that fall into this category.
Some benefits of S ships:
- Most cabins are suites and have balconies
- Luxury and service are frequently a focal point of a small ship voyage
- Amenities, while limited, tend to be very high end, including dining, shore excursions, spas and enrichment activities.
- Small ships trend toward a truly all-inclusive fare
- Smaller dining and shared areas lend themselves lively conversations and closer relationships with fellow passengers.
- Itineraries tend to be 10 days or longer
Example S ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Prinsendam
- Princess Cruises: Ocean Princess, Pacific Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Symphony
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Insignia, Oceania Nautica, Oceania Regatta
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Spirit
- Azamara Club Cruises: Azamara Journey, Azamara Quest
- Costa Cruises: Costa Voyager
- Viking Cruises: Viking Star
- Voyages of Discovery Cruises: MV Voyager
Extra Small Ships (XS) - 1-499 passengers
Very small ships offer a private, exclusive ambiance, along with personalized service and the advantage of being able to port almost anywhere. Passengers get a feel for the water and experience destinations in a very close-up, personal way.
Some benefits of XS ships:
- The most important benefit of small ship cruising is an immersive experience in the destination. Very small ships allow an in-depth exploration of nature, culture, history and learning not possible on larger ships.
- Passengers tend to be a well-traveled, worldly crowd who enjoy the pursuit of education and exploration of the destinations they visit
- Very personal attention from the crew; with luxury cruises this translates to personal attendants that see to your every need
- More solitude and the opportunity to relax and pursue your own interests
- Seating is usually open, with no set tables
Example XS ships:
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Navigator
- SeaDream Yacht Club: SeaDream I, SeaDream II
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Galapagos, Silver Discoverer, Silver Explorer, Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper
- Seabourn Cruises: Seabourn Legend, Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Sojourn, Seabourn Spirit
- Windstar Cruises: Wind Surf, Wind Spirit, Wind Star, Star Pride
- Paul Gauguin Cruises: m/v Tere Moana, MS Paul Gauguin
- Variety Cruises: M/Y Pegasus, M/S Galileo, M/Y Harmony V, S/C Panorama, S/C Panorama II, M/Y Variety Voyager
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Xpedition
- Swan Hellenic Cruises: MV Minerva
- Voyages to Antiquity Cruises: MV Aegean Odyssey
- Star Clippers Cruises: Star Clipper, Star Flyer, Royal Clipper
No matter what your ship size, the cruise experts at CruiseCompete are there to assist you in finding the right destination and ship for your cruise vacation. Simply visit www.CruiseCompete.com for more information.
Note to Editors About CruiseCompete:
CruiseCompete has been the premier online cruise marketplace since 2003 (see media praises). Consumers come to CruiseCompete to research, get advice from our cruise experts and ultimately book cruise vacations. CruiseCompete has generated over 12 million quotes since 2003. Consumers compare offers and advice from trusted travel agents, are able to see consumer reviews of agents and agencies responding, and then contact travel agents directly for more information and to book a cruise.
CruiseCompete CruiseTrends offers monthly stats for an inside look at consumer trends and what consumers want in cruise vacations.
CruiseCompete takes top honors in Travel + Leisure Magazine's "Top 60 Best Apps and Websites for Travelers" with an honorable mention. The Wall Street Journal praised CruiseCompete as "Best Cruise Travel Site," The New York Times says, "... independent travel agents compete to offer you the best deal," and follows similar praise from Travel + Leisure, Kiplinger's and The Washington Post. The Street says, "Score luxury cruises at bargain prices."
CruiseCompete is an Iowa limited liability company and is not a travel agency nor owned by a travel agency.
Heidi M. Allison
Shane and Shane, Inc.
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 28, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 953
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,226
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, discussed how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a practic...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,353
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,057
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,634
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, gave users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion with budd...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,050
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 6,318
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,194
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,592
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Mar. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 12,928
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle.
Mar. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,011
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,429
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,968
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 27, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,037