|By Marketwired .||
|January 23, 2014 01:50 PM EST||
DETROIT, MI -- (Marketwired) -- 01/23/14 -- One of the most important decisions to make when planning your cruise is choosing the ship that best meets your particular needs. Ships sizes range from megaships (over 4,000 passengers) to very small vessels and luxury yachts whose passengers number in mere dozens.
CruiseCompete has divided today's ships into six categories for your reading pleasure:
XS, S, M, L, XL and XXL
Below is information on the benefits each type of ship provides to cruise travelers.
Extra, Extra Large Ships (XXL) - 4,000+ passengers
These megaships boast unparalleled options in entertainment and amenities. They truly give the impression of being on board a floating city and provide endless choices in dining, activities and shopping (some are so large as to even incorporate a "mall" area with brand name stores). If you desire a resort-type feel from your cruise or worry about sea-sickness, this may be your best option.
Some benefits of XXL ships:
- A large variety of cabin options in every price range
- Dining options that range from small, informal cafes to 5-star restaurants
- Over the top entertainment options that include Broadway-quality shows, 3-D movie theaters, large casinos, extensive waterpark areas and more
- Extremely comprehensive children's programs and amenities
- Increased ship stability; little sea motion
Example XXL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Allure of the Seas and the Oasis of the Seas
- Disney Cruises: Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy
- Costa Cruises: Costa Diadema
Extra Large Ships (XL) - 3,000-3,999 passengers
These extra-large ships are a destination unto themselves and are especially good for families and multigenerational cruises due to the many amenities found onboard. There is something for everyone, and many cruisers enjoy their time onboard as much as they do the destinations they visit.
Some benefits of XL ships:
- An abundance of cabin options in many different price ranges
- A variety of dining options, ranging from ultra-casual to very upscale and formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Round-the-clock facilities and activities, such as casinos, water parks, gyms and spas
- Excellent entertainment options and Broadway-quality shows like Royal Caribbean's productions of Chicago, Hairspray and Saturday Night Fever
Example XL ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Adventure of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess, Regal Princess, Royal Princess
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Splendor, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Dream, Carnival Breeze, Carnival Magic
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Reflection, Celebrity Silhouette
- MSC Cruises: MSC Poesia, MSC Divina, MSC Fantasia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Splendida
- Costa Cruises: Costa Fortuna
Large Ships (L) - 2,000 to 2,999 passengers
Large ships offer many of the same amenities as the XL ships, on a slightly smaller scale. They don't necessarily require a ship map to navigate to entertainment and activity options, and tend to have more personal touches.
Some benefits of L ships:
- A large number of cabin options in different price ranges
- Numerous dining options, ranging from very casual to formal
- A popular favorite with families due to the extensive children's amenities and programs
- Also popular with older cruisers, as the pace onboard is not as frenetic
- A variety of activities, such as casinos, gyms and spas and often there are bridge instructors on longer itineraries
- Entertainment options may include things like a fireworks display, outdoor movies and stage shows
- Onboard lecturers are often more cerebral with topics like history, politics and geography.
Example L Ships:
- Royal Caribbean International: Legend of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas
- Princess Cruises: Golden Princess, Grand Princess, Star Princess, Diamond Princess, Sapphire Princess
- Cunard Cruises: Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2
- Holland America Line: HAL Eurodam, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
- Disney Cruises: Disney Magic, Disney Wonder
- Carnival Cruises: Carnival Elation, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Sensation, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Pride, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Glory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Conquest
- MSC Cruises: MSC Opera, MSC Armonia, MSC Lirica, MSC Musica, MSC Orchestra, MSC Magnifica
- Costa Cruises: Costa Mediterranea, Costa Luminosa, Costa Deliziosa, Costa Serena, Costa Fascinosa, Costa Favolosa, Costa Pacifica, Costa Magica
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Solstice
Medium Ships (M) - 951 to 1,999 passengers
Medium ships generally offer a slower pace than their large counterparts, with fewer crowds, less noise and more modest offerings when it comes to activity and entertainment options. Many cruisers prefer this size of ship for its "relaxation" vibe. Many of these ships tend to be more luxurious with more personal service.
Some benefits of M ships:
- Many of the premium cruise lines have ships that fall into this category
- Several dining options
- Medium-size ships still tend to have amenities like casinos, pools and spas
- Entertainment options tend to include more enrichment activities
- Attracts a more mature crowd that is focused on relaxation and enjoyment of the voyage
- Smaller size of the ships open up options as far as itineraries and ports
- Itineraries are likely to be 10 days or longer
Example M Ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Maasdam, HAL Ryndam, HAL Statendam, HAL Veendam, HAL Amsterdam, HAL Rotterdam, HAL Volendam, HAL Zaandam, HAL Oosterdam, HAL Westerdam, HAL Zuiderdam, HAL Noordam
- Princess Cruises: Coral Princess, Island Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Sun Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Serenity
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Marina, Oceania Riviera
- Costa Cruises: Costa Classica, Costa Victoria, Costa neoRomantica
- MSC Cruises: MSC Sinfonia
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Century
- Celebration Cruise Line: Bahamas Celebration
Small Ships (S) - 950 passengers or less
Small ships fill a niche for cruisers that are looking for more in-depth exploration of the regions they visit. They can visit ports that are inaccessible to larger ships, and exotic itineraries are the standard. Most river cruise ships and almost all of the luxury lines have ships that fall into this category.
Some benefits of S ships:
- Most cabins are suites and have balconies
- Luxury and service are frequently a focal point of a small ship voyage
- Amenities, while limited, tend to be very high end, including dining, shore excursions, spas and enrichment activities.
- Small ships trend toward a truly all-inclusive fare
- Smaller dining and shared areas lend themselves lively conversations and closer relationships with fellow passengers.
- Itineraries tend to be 10 days or longer
Example S ships:
- Holland America Line: HAL Prinsendam
- Princess Cruises: Ocean Princess, Pacific Princess
- Crystal Cruises: Crystal Symphony
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Mariner, Seven Seas Voyager
- Oceania Cruises: Oceania Insignia, Oceania Nautica, Oceania Regatta
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Spirit
- Azamara Club Cruises: Azamara Journey, Azamara Quest
- Costa Cruises: Costa Voyager
- Viking Cruises: Viking Star
- Voyages of Discovery Cruises: MV Voyager
Extra Small Ships (XS) - 1-499 passengers
Very small ships offer a private, exclusive ambiance, along with personalized service and the advantage of being able to port almost anywhere. Passengers get a feel for the water and experience destinations in a very close-up, personal way.
Some benefits of XS ships:
- The most important benefit of small ship cruising is an immersive experience in the destination. Very small ships allow an in-depth exploration of nature, culture, history and learning not possible on larger ships.
- Passengers tend to be a well-traveled, worldly crowd who enjoy the pursuit of education and exploration of the destinations they visit
- Very personal attention from the crew; with luxury cruises this translates to personal attendants that see to your every need
- More solitude and the opportunity to relax and pursue your own interests
- Seating is usually open, with no set tables
Example XS ships:
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises: Seven Seas Navigator
- SeaDream Yacht Club: SeaDream I, SeaDream II
- Silversea Cruises: Silver Galapagos, Silver Discoverer, Silver Explorer, Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper
- Seabourn Cruises: Seabourn Legend, Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Odyssey, Seabourn Quest, Seabourn Sojourn, Seabourn Spirit
- Windstar Cruises: Wind Surf, Wind Spirit, Wind Star, Star Pride
- Paul Gauguin Cruises: m/v Tere Moana, MS Paul Gauguin
- Variety Cruises: M/Y Pegasus, M/S Galileo, M/Y Harmony V, S/C Panorama, S/C Panorama II, M/Y Variety Voyager
- Celebrity Cruises: Celebrity Xpedition
- Swan Hellenic Cruises: MV Minerva
- Voyages to Antiquity Cruises: MV Aegean Odyssey
- Star Clippers Cruises: Star Clipper, Star Flyer, Royal Clipper
No matter what your ship size, the cruise experts at CruiseCompete are there to assist you in finding the right destination and ship for your cruise vacation. Simply visit www.CruiseCompete.com for more information.
Note to Editors About CruiseCompete:
CruiseCompete has been the premier online cruise marketplace since 2003 (see media praises). Consumers come to CruiseCompete to research, get advice from our cruise experts and ultimately book cruise vacations. CruiseCompete has generated over 12 million quotes since 2003. Consumers compare offers and advice from trusted travel agents, are able to see consumer reviews of agents and agencies responding, and then contact travel agents directly for more information and to book a cruise.
CruiseCompete CruiseTrends offers monthly stats for an inside look at consumer trends and what consumers want in cruise vacations.
CruiseCompete takes top honors in Travel + Leisure Magazine's "Top 60 Best Apps and Websites for Travelers" with an honorable mention. The Wall Street Journal praised CruiseCompete as "Best Cruise Travel Site," The New York Times says, "... independent travel agents compete to offer you the best deal," and follows similar praise from Travel + Leisure, Kiplinger's and The Washington Post. The Street says, "Score luxury cruises at bargain prices."
CruiseCompete is an Iowa limited liability company and is not a travel agency nor owned by a travel agency.
Heidi M. Allison
Shane and Shane, Inc.
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Aug. 29, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 461
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 28, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 400
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 28, 2015 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 826
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 28, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 291
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of ...
Aug. 28, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 177
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 311
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Aug. 28, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 405
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 168
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:15 PM EDT
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:01 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 28, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 414
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ET...
Aug. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Aug. 28, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 126
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Aug. 28, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 148
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 28, 2015 12:30 PM EDT