|By PR Newswire||
|January 24, 2014 11:38 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- The flu season is in full swing starting mostly in the second week of January when emergency rooms are more busy than usual with patient with flu like symptoms. Dr. James Kojian, E.R. expert and founder of DRTOHELP.COM, warns the public about five things your doctor may be doing wrong when treating for the flu.
1. Wrong use of antibiotics: "The vast majority of the illnesses during January are viral," explains Dr. Kojian. "Thus antibiotics will not help even a little for a viral infection. However most doctors are compelled to give patients something so they don't complain. Mothers with sick kids are used to getting the pink antibiotic to treat their child's viral syndrome or adults are used to getting a z pack for their cough and cold. The Centers for Disease Control (C.D.C.) prohibits this common practice for many reasons. Antibiotics are overused tremendously in this country lending to a severe antibiotics resistance problem, plus they may contribute to the growth of fungal infections in some patients. They are not indicated at all for viral infections."
2. Incorrect use of anti-virals: "Doctors are ordering tests to check for Influenza A and B for patients who are not at high risk and are treating these non-high-risk patients with Tamiflu or other anti-virals, which is wrong," he says. "The Center for Disease Control also prohibits this practice as well, as they list the indications for anti-viral medication for doctors to follow on their web site. Antiviral treatment is recommended for any patient with confirmed or suspected influenza who is hospitalized; has severe, complicated, or progressive illness; or is at higher risk for influenza complications. Many doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners are not aware of the C.D.C'.s rules and over-prescribe anti-virals or antibiotics. Unnecessarily taking these medications a couple of times a year might weaken one's immune system, making them more vulnerable to common infections over time."
3. Not treating fever correctly. "Doctors most often do not treat the symptoms aggressively enough," he says. "Many times doctors give adult patients 650mg of Tylenol for their fever or body aches, when the correct adult dosage is 1000 mg every four hours. Similarly the proper prescription dose of Ibuprofen or Motrin and Advil for patients battling the flu is 600-800 mg every 6-8 hours not 400 mg. I have found that 2 500 mg Extra-Strength Tylenol tablets will vastly improve how someone feels within 30 minutes."
4. Not treating a cough properly. "I tell patients that when they are sick it is normal to have a cough, fever, and body aches and I treat the symptoms aggressively," he explains. "Prescription cough medication such as Phenegran D.M. and Phenegran with codeine at night to help one sleep with the proper dose of Tylenol and Advil will dramatically lessen one's symptoms. Over-the-counter cough medications are not as effective as prescription medication. Inhalers can be used if one is wheezing as well."
5. Not knowing when to be aggressive: "Children under two years of age, seniors, and patients with other medical problems need to be tested for Influenza A and B, and sometimes respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)--a virus that can infect the lungs, breathing passages, mouth-- and need to be treated EARLY for the anti-viral medications to work, so that their illness does not progress and become severe," he warns. "These high-risk patients need to be instructed by their doctors to come in early to be treated, whereas the low risk patients need to be instructed to let their immune symptoms get stronger by eradicating the infection without using medication. Many times, the opposite happens, and the result is that the general population overwhelms the system to a high enough degree that resources for those who need medical help the most become strained."
Dr. James Kojian is a board-certified emergency room doctor and the founder of DRTOHELP.COM, a new online service that allows patients to be seen by a licensed medical adviser using their smart phone or camera-enabled internet connection, and be treated right away for their symptoms or medical condition. The service treats adults, the elderly, children and infants, travelers, executives, and those unable to quickly see a doctor for a wide range of common conditions, including urgent situations by giving first aid advice. For more information, contact 626-222-7777 or visit DRTOHELP.COM.
Media Contact: Carolyn Kamii, Carolyn Kamii PR, 310.441.8404, [email protected]
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 707
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,438
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,332
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,609
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 482
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 624
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 628
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,964
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,351
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,959
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,893
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 761
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 609
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 793
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 673