|By PR Newswire||
|January 24, 2014 11:38 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- The flu season is in full swing starting mostly in the second week of January when emergency rooms are more busy than usual with patient with flu like symptoms. Dr. James Kojian, E.R. expert and founder of DRTOHELP.COM, warns the public about five things your doctor may be doing wrong when treating for the flu.
1. Wrong use of antibiotics: "The vast majority of the illnesses during January are viral," explains Dr. Kojian. "Thus antibiotics will not help even a little for a viral infection. However most doctors are compelled to give patients something so they don't complain. Mothers with sick kids are used to getting the pink antibiotic to treat their child's viral syndrome or adults are used to getting a z pack for their cough and cold. The Centers for Disease Control (C.D.C.) prohibits this common practice for many reasons. Antibiotics are overused tremendously in this country lending to a severe antibiotics resistance problem, plus they may contribute to the growth of fungal infections in some patients. They are not indicated at all for viral infections."
2. Incorrect use of anti-virals: "Doctors are ordering tests to check for Influenza A and B for patients who are not at high risk and are treating these non-high-risk patients with Tamiflu or other anti-virals, which is wrong," he says. "The Center for Disease Control also prohibits this practice as well, as they list the indications for anti-viral medication for doctors to follow on their web site. Antiviral treatment is recommended for any patient with confirmed or suspected influenza who is hospitalized; has severe, complicated, or progressive illness; or is at higher risk for influenza complications. Many doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners are not aware of the C.D.C'.s rules and over-prescribe anti-virals or antibiotics. Unnecessarily taking these medications a couple of times a year might weaken one's immune system, making them more vulnerable to common infections over time."
3. Not treating fever correctly. "Doctors most often do not treat the symptoms aggressively enough," he says. "Many times doctors give adult patients 650mg of Tylenol for their fever or body aches, when the correct adult dosage is 1000 mg every four hours. Similarly the proper prescription dose of Ibuprofen or Motrin and Advil for patients battling the flu is 600-800 mg every 6-8 hours not 400 mg. I have found that 2 500 mg Extra-Strength Tylenol tablets will vastly improve how someone feels within 30 minutes."
4. Not treating a cough properly. "I tell patients that when they are sick it is normal to have a cough, fever, and body aches and I treat the symptoms aggressively," he explains. "Prescription cough medication such as Phenegran D.M. and Phenegran with codeine at night to help one sleep with the proper dose of Tylenol and Advil will dramatically lessen one's symptoms. Over-the-counter cough medications are not as effective as prescription medication. Inhalers can be used if one is wheezing as well."
5. Not knowing when to be aggressive: "Children under two years of age, seniors, and patients with other medical problems need to be tested for Influenza A and B, and sometimes respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)--a virus that can infect the lungs, breathing passages, mouth-- and need to be treated EARLY for the anti-viral medications to work, so that their illness does not progress and become severe," he warns. "These high-risk patients need to be instructed by their doctors to come in early to be treated, whereas the low risk patients need to be instructed to let their immune symptoms get stronger by eradicating the infection without using medication. Many times, the opposite happens, and the result is that the general population overwhelms the system to a high enough degree that resources for those who need medical help the most become strained."
Dr. James Kojian is a board-certified emergency room doctor and the founder of DRTOHELP.COM, a new online service that allows patients to be seen by a licensed medical adviser using their smart phone or camera-enabled internet connection, and be treated right away for their symptoms or medical condition. The service treats adults, the elderly, children and infants, travelers, executives, and those unable to quickly see a doctor for a wide range of common conditions, including urgent situations by giving first aid advice. For more information, contact 626-222-7777 or visit DRTOHELP.COM.
Media Contact: Carolyn Kamii, Carolyn Kamii PR, 310.441.8404, [email protected]
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 575
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
May. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 664
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hanu Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Leveraging best-in-class people, processes, and technologies, Hanu provides high-quality, high-value software development and business process outsourcing services to independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises.
May. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,425
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,286
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,255
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,489
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,018
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,298
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 29, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 714
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 29, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,733
In the rush to compete in the digital age, a successful digital transformation is essential, but many organizations are setting themselves up for failure. There’s a common misconception that the process is just about technology, but it’s not. It’s about your business. It shouldn’t be treated as an isolated IT project; it should be driven by business needs with the committed involvement of a range of stakeholders.
May. 29, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,651
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 29, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,292
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 29, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,943
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 29, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 637
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 29, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,163