|By Business Wire||
|January 28, 2014 12:00 AM EST||
Arbor Networks, Inc. today released its 9th Annual Worldwide Infrastructure Security Report (WISR) offering a rare view into the most critical security challenges facing today’s network operators. Based on survey data provided by service provider, enterprise, cloud, hosting and other network operators from around the world, this annual report provides a real-world view of the security threats that organizations face and the strategies they adopt to address them.
Arbor’s long-standing customer relationships and reputation as a trusted advisor and solution provider make this report possible each year. Click here (registration required) to access the Arbor Networks 9th Annual Worldwide Infrastructure Security Report.
“From the ISP to the enterprise, IT and security teams are facing a dynamic threat landscape and very skilled and patient adversaries. Our ninth annual report showcases that very clearly,” said Matthew Moynahan, president of Arbor Networks. “There is no single, magic bullet solution and it is a mistake to think technology alone can secure a network. Multi-layered defenses are clearly needed, but so is a commitment to best practices for people and process.”
Internal Network and Advanced Persistent Threats
- Respondents ranked botted hosts as their number one concern
- The proportion of respondents seeing APTs on their networks has increased from 22 percent to 30 percent year over year
- 57 percent of survey respondents do not have a solution deployed to identify employee-owned devices accessing the corporate network
DDoS attacks against mobile networks more than doubled
- Nearly a quarter of those respondents offering mobile services indicated that they have seen DDoS attacks impacting their mobile Internet (Gi) infrastructure. This represents more than double the proportion seen last year.
- More than 20 percent offering mobile services indicated that they have suffered a customer-visible outage due to a security incident, down slightly from about one-third last year.
Application-layer attacks have become ubiquitous
- Application-layer attacks are now common with almost all respondents indicating they have seen them during this survey period.
- Continued strong growth in application-layer attacks targeting encrypted Web services (HTTPS) - up 17 percent over last year.
Dramatic Rise in DDoS Attack Size
- In all previous years of the survey, the largest reported attack was 100 Gbps. This year, attacks peaked at 309 Gbps and multiple respondents reported attacks larger than 100 Gbps.
Data centers are a magnet for DDoS attacks
- More than 70 percent operating data centers reported DDoS attacks this year, up dramatically from under a half last year.
- More than a third experienced attacks that exceeded total available Internet connectivity, nearly double last year.
- About 10 percent saw more than 100 attacks per month.
DNS infrastructure remains vulnerable
- Just over one-third experienced customer-impacting DDoS attacks on DNS infrastructure—an increase from a quarter last year.
- More than a quarter indicated that there is no security group within their organizations with formal responsibility for DNS security, up from 19 percent last year. This increase is surprising given the number of high-profile DNS reflection/amplification attacks that were seen during the survey period.
Survey Scope & Demographics
- 220 responses, up from 130 last year, from a mix of Tier 1 and Tier 2/3 service providers, hosting, mobile, enterprise and other types of network operators from around the world.
- More than 68 percent of respondents this year are service providers, giving us a global view into the traffic and threats targeting their networks, services and customers.
- Data covers November, 2012 through October, 2013
- Download the full report here (registration required)
- Attend this webinar for a deeper dive on the WISR key findings
- Visit the Arbor Networks blog for a summary of key findings
- Download WISR infographics on the Arbor Networks Pinterest page
- Visit the Arbor Networks SlideShare page to download the WISR presentation
- Follow @arbornetworks and the #WISR14 hashtag on Twitter for more key findings
About Arbor Networks
Arbor Networks, Inc. helps secure the world’s largest enterprise and service provider networks from DDoS attacks and advanced threats. Arbor is the world’s leading provider of DDoS protection in the enterprise, carrier and mobile market segments, according to Infonetics Research. Arbor’s advanced threat solutions deliver comprehensive network visibility through a combination of packet capture and NetFlow technology, enabling the rapid detection and mitigation of malware and malicious insiders. Arbor also delivers market-leading analytics for dynamic incident response, historical analysis, visualization and forensics. Arbor strives to be a “force multiplier,” making network and security teams the experts. Our goal is to provide a richer picture into networks and more security context - so customers can solve problems faster and help reduce the risk to their business.
To learn more about Arbor products and services, please visit our website at arbornetworks.com. Arbor’s research, analysis and insight, together with data from the ATLAS® global threat intelligence system, can be found at the ATLAS Threat Portal.
Trademark Notice: Arbor Networks, Peakflow, ArbOS, ATLAS, Pravail, Arbor Cloud, Cloud Signaling, the Arbor Networks logo and Arbor Networks: Smart. Available. Secure. are all trademarks of Arbor Networks, Inc. All other brand names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 26, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,297
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Jul. 26, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,187
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,296
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,686
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,472
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 986
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 26, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,518
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Jul. 26, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 629
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,540
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Jul. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,144
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Jul. 25, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,014
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,310
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,032
"We view the cloud not really as a specific technology but as a way of doing business and that way of doing business is transforming the way software, infrastructure and services are being delivered to business," explained Matthew Rosen, CEO and Director at Fusion, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,519
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,304