|By PR Newswire||
|January 28, 2014 01:04 PM EST|
BURLINGTON, Mass., Jan. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that, after an initial decline driven by generic and biosimilar competition in the G7 markets and changes in reimbursement practices in the United States, the total chronic kidney disease (CKD) market will return to growth, achieving total sales of $11.7 billion in 2022 compared with $11 billion in 2012. This market forecast includes erythropoietin-stimulating agents (ESAs), phosphate binders, calcium mimetics, active vitamin D analogues, antihypertensive agents, IV irons and emerging CKD therapies for the CKD non-dialysis and dialysis patient populations.
Other key findings from the Pharmacor Chronic Kidney Disease report:
- ESAs, a dominant presence in the CKD-associated anemia market, will come under pressure from the launch of novel biosimilars in all markets and an increasingly hostile reimbursement environment in the United States. Although the ESAs will retain the largest market share in 2022, this will have diminished significantly compared with the start of the 2012–2022 forecast period.
- The launch and uptake of novel drugs during the next ten years will be the largest driver of market growth. Of the emerging therapies with novel mechanisms of action, the hypoxia-inducible factor-prolyl hydroxylase (HIF-PH) inhibitors will have the biggest impact on the CKD market.
- Based on their potential to offer a lower-cost, safer, orally administered alternative to ESAs—HIF-PH inhibitors—should capture considerable sales by 2022, with FibroGen/AstraZeneca/Astellas's roxadustat forecast to launch as first-in-class in 2018.
- Other agents in development include AbbVie's atrasentan for diabetic nephropathy and Amgen's velcalcetide, an IV calcium mimetic, which will provide an alternative to cincalcet (Amgen's Sensipar/Mimpara, Kyowa Hakko Kirin's Regpara) for CKD patients with secondary hyperparathryoidism.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Director Matthew Scutcher, Ph.D.:
- "Hypertension, diabetes and an aging population are key drivers behind a forecasted increase in patients with CKD in all seven major markets under study, which further increases the opportunities in this disease area."
- "Unfortunately, most products in late-stage development do not treat the underlying condition but most do offer some advantages over existing agents and thus should compete strongly in the marketplace."
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group is a cohesive portfolio of companies that offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on important sectors of the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Please visit Decision Resources Group at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Sep. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,629
Sep. 29, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
Sep. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,564
Sep. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,844
Sep. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,768
Sep. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,420
Sep. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,336
Sep. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,942
Sep. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,373
Sep. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 460
Sep. 29, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,187
Sep. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,616
Sep. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,527
Sep. 29, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,782
Sep. 29, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,793