|By Business Wire||
|January 29, 2014 08:02 AM EST||
Defense.Net, the only company designed to mitigate the increasing scale and sophistication of modern Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks, today announced the launch of DDoS Frontline, a new primary DDoS mitigation service designed to protect businesses and organizations against the increasing threat of modern DDoS attacks that have disabled their web and business operations. DDoS Frontline combines a network provisioned with 10 times the bandwidth and mitigation capacity per customer of the leading primary DDoS mitigation providers with breakthrough new technologies specifically designed to counter the latest and most powerful DDoS attack techniques, ensuring continuous operations for customers. It also eliminates the harmful side effects created by legacy DDoS mitigation techniques.
“Since Weebly was founded in 2006, we have been somewhat unique in building our own infrastructure in-house, including our DDoS mitigation capabilities,” said Chris Fanini, Co-Founder and CTO of Weebly, a website creation service which has enabled more than 20 million people to create their own high-quality websites. “While this infrastructure has served us well in successfully thwarting DDoS attacks in the past, we’ve recently seen an increasing number of attacks that are larger and more complex than before. By partnering with Defense.Net and utilizing their massive distributed scrubbing centers, we remain protected from these larger DDoS attacks – enabling us to remain focused on delivering our users a high-quality experience.”
In DDoS attacks, perpetrators assemble an army of compromised computers (a botnet) to inundate a website with a volume of requests that overwhelms and crashes the website. Recently, the ease of access to sophisticated attack tools has advanced to a level where a botnet that can do millions of dollars of damage within minutes can be rented for $7 per hour, making these powerful attack tools widely available to anyone with a grudge, even with minimal technical knowledge. Motivations range from political and religious hacktivists, extortionists, business competitors and even disgruntled customers and former employees.
DDoS Frontline protects against the entire spectrum of DDoS attacks, from low-level Layer 7 attacks to the increasingly frequent large-scale attacks, including those that have overwhelmed traditional DDoS mitigation services and exceeded the size of the Internet pipe before any traffic can even reach an organization’s mitigation equipment. The benefits over legacy DDoS mitigation services include:
- Fastest Time to Mitigation: Defense.Net's proprietary DefenseActioner technology intercepts each packet of traffic, determines its legitimacy, and automatically routes it to the most appropriate of Defense.Net’s several hundred different mitigation solutions for the industry’s fastest time-to-mitigation. It breaks down multi-layer attacks into their components for more thorough mitigation via the only systems specifically designed to mitigate each attack vector, versus legacy DDoS solutions that have a “one box does all” approach. Additionally, legacy DDoS mitigation services are based on having a human in the process. The new technologies created by Barrett Lyon and the Defense.Net team have automated the process where mitigation decisions and actions can be taken at the millisecond level, far faster than a human can respond. When needed, a human can be inserted into the Defense.Net mitigation process.
- All Internet Services Protected: While DDoS attacks have traditionally been aimed at the Web operations of their targets, hackers are increasingly attacking non-Web based protocols which are the foundation of many of the mission critical applications housed within the datacenter (NTP,TELNET, FTP, SNMP, SMTP, POP-3, CHARGEN, MIME and DNS).
- Eliminates Mitigation Side Effects: Defense.Net technologies eliminate the damaging side effects created by legacy DDoS mitigation solutions such as false positives, blocked users, fraud alerts, fragmentation, slow page loads, broken links, and stalled or timed out video streams. Unlike existing solutions, Defense.Net can put out the fire without breaking windows and getting water all over the place to do so.
- Highest Levels of Visibility Before, During and After an Attack: Defense.Net Frontline includes Defense.Net AttackView™, the only interactive customer portal to instantly provide the detailed information on an attack in real-time, as well as post-attack analysis. AttackView breaks down each attack into a unique timeline “story” and contains information on attack type, source and size and also the mitigation techniques utilized. It includes data not typically provided by leading DDoS mitigation services, including attack origin, diagnostics of the attack traffic, specific mitigations performed, the result of each mitigation vector on attack traffic, and how each attack responds and morphs based on the specific mitigations performed.
“DDoS attacks have grown significantly in the past 18 months, taking down even some of the largest and most heavily defended websites,” said Chris Risley, CEO of Defense.Net. “DDoS Frontline offers an entirely new set of network technologies specifically designed to protect large enterprises and critical infrastructure from today’s DDoS attacks and the growing number of actors carrying out these attacks.”
Defense.Net Frontline is based on the following components:
- Largest Network & Mitigation Capacity: Abundant network bandwidth is a key element to fighting any DDoS attack and Defense.Net has developed proprietary technologies that enable it to mitigate DDoS attacks using bandwidth more efficiently than legacy DDoS mitigation services. Its massive, fully redundant datacenters have the ability to mitigate in excess of 100% of its network capacity. This network, built from the world’s most trusted Tier 1 and Tier 2 carriers, has 10 times the network and mitigation capacity per customer than its closest competitor
- Veteran Team: The Defense.Net “Zero Day Team” includes the best and brightest DDoS mitigation experts and network operators in the world, including veterans of Prolexic, Verisign, BitGravity, Juniper, Box.net and Apple’s security team. Defense.Net Founder and CTO Barrett Lyon created the DDoS mitigation industry more than 10 years ago when he founded Prolexic Technologies. This led to his pursuit of hackers operating as part of the Russian mob, as chronicled in the best-selling book, Fatal System Error by Joseph Menn.
- Proprietary Technologies: Defense.Net’s DefenseD platform of new technologies was custom built to respond to today’s modern attacks. These technologies, developed by Barrett Lyon, include traffic inspection technologies such as Traffic SpectrumTM (a new technique for breaking multi-layer attacks into their components for more thorough mitigation), traffic routing technologies such as DefenseActioner™ and IP Reflection™ (a patent-pending asymmetric approach for delivering clean traffic back to the organization under attack), and traffic scrubbing technologies such as SYNAssure™ (a new technique for mitigating SYN Flood attacks that detects suspect SYN requests and conducts further analysis before blocking).
“The DDoS threat is constantly morphing and requires that businesses have the most current defenses in place,” said Defense.Net founder and CTO Barrett Lyon. “In addition to the best technologies, network and team, Defense.Net is providing enterprises with the highest levels of transparency and customer service. We understand the concerns of the companies we’re protecting and understand that “false positives” are more than an acceptable side effect of mitigation – they’re your customers.”
Founded by Barrett Lyon, who created the Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack mitigation industry more than 10 years ago, Defense.Net has combined the top minds in the DDoS space with breakthrough new technologies designed to effectively address today’s and tomorrow’s DDoS mitigation challenges. It is the only company to defend businesses and organizations against this new generation of massive and sophisticated DDoS attacks while delivering the highest levels of Internet application performance – two areas where legacy DDoS mitigation services have not been able to match the modern strategies of today’s cyberattackers. With increasing threats from the escalating scale and complexity of DDoS attacks and a growing number of antagonists willing to use them, Defense.Net protects organizations from modern attacks by providing end-users with a seamless experience as if no attack were occurring. The company has raised more than $9.5M in debt and equity financing with investors that include visionary security and Internet investor Bessemer Venture Partners (BVP).
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 25, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,180
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 25, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,686
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Aug. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,369
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Aug. 25, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,915
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 633
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 25, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 420
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 25, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,487
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,212
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,546
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,596
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,891
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 587
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,387
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 551
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Aug. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,829