|By Marketwired .||
|January 30, 2014 06:00 PM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 01/30/14 --
Core News Facts:
- HotelTonight, the on-demand mobile hotel booking app, today announced that Barry Sternlicht, the founder, chairman and CEO of Starwood Capital Group, has made a personal investment in the company. Sternlicht also joins HotelTonight today as a strategic advisor.
- From 1995 through early 2005, Sternlicht was Chairman and CEO of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., a company he founded in 1995. Starwood Hotels is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world, with more than 895 properties in 100 countries.
- Nicknamed the "King of Hotels," Sternlicht is a tastemaker known for having created W Hotels, one of the world's most successful boutique brands. Later this year, Starwood Capital Group will be launching two new hotel brands, 1 Hotels & Resorts and Baccarat Hotels & Resorts, debuting projects in New York and Miami Beach. His keen awareness of customer trends and design-focused background are a natural fit for HotelTonight's innovative take on the hotel booking process.
- Sternlicht has spent his career developing unique, personalized hotel brands that delight customers and inspire new demand for hotels. He'll bring his deep understanding of design and the hospitality market to HotelTonight, as well as his network of fellow hoteliers, helping grow HotelTonight's product offerings and ever-expanding portfolio of cities and hotels across the globe.
- In addition, HotelTonight announced that it has teamed up with several large-scale, global hotel chains, including InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG®), Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, Best Western International, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, FRHI Hotels & Resorts (Fairmont, Raffles & Swissôtel brands), La Quinta Inn & Suites, Barcelo Hotels & Resorts and Steigenberger Hotel Group. More will be announced soon.
- By focusing on a specific use case (same-day booking), HotelTonight attracts incremental, tech-savvy customers without cannibalizing business from these chains' brand-loyal guests, and gives hotels complete control over their use of the channel.
- With close to 9 million downloads and now over 10,000 hotel partners in 17 countries and more than 250 destinations, HotelTonight is the world's favorite hotel booking app.
- Since HotelTonight's launch in January 2011, the company has raised more than $80 million in funding and established itself as the leader in mobile travel. By delighting users with a beautiful product that's easy and natural for anyone to use, HotelTonight is breathing new life into the travel industry and fundamentally changing the way people think about booking hotel stays.
- HotelTonight is available for free on iPhone, iPad and Android devices. Download the app here: http://www.hoteltonight.com/now
Jared Simon, Co-Founder and COO, HotelTonight:
"To have a visionary like Barry Sternlicht backing and advising HotelTonight is a powerful validation of the work the HotelTonight team and our top tier network of hotel partners have put into revolutionizing the travel industry. With his support and the addition of several chains to the app, we're proving that the hotelier-distributor relationship doesn't need to be adversarial but can actually be mutually beneficial."
Barry Sternlicht, Founder, Chairman and CEO, Starwood Capital Group:
"Booking windows are shrinking and customers are going mobile, trends which position HotelTonight perfectly for the future. But there's something more that attracted me -- it's that HotelTonight is proving booking by booking that both hotels and distributors can win. HotelTonight is a refreshing alternative that should become a major participant in the future of hotel distribution."
HotelTonight was launched in 2011 to provide easy mobile booking of same-day unsold hotel inventory. For consumers, HotelTonight offers incredible convenience and amazing value at quality hotels. For hotels, HotelTonight is a marketplace to fill last-minute rooms that would otherwise remain empty. HotelTonight is currently available in over 250 destinations across the globe. Based in San Francisco, California with a London-based European office, HotelTonight is backed by Coatue Management, top venture firms and leading travel-industry pioneers. Visit www.hoteltonight.com for more information and to download the free app.
HotelTonight Press Contact:
Overgrown applications have given way to modular applications, driven by the need to break larger problems into smaller problems. Similarly large monolithic development processes have been forced to be broken into smaller agile development cycles. Looking at trends in software development, microservices architectures meet the same demands. Additional benefits of microservices architectures are compartmentalization and a limited impact of service failure versus a complete software malfunction....
Oct. 9, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 235
There will be 20 billion IoT devices connected to the Internet soon. What if we could control these devices with our voice, mind, or gestures? What if we could teach these devices how to talk to each other? What if these devices could learn how to interact with us (and each other) to make our lives better? What if Jarvis was real? How can I gain these super powers? In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, will show you!
Oct. 9, 2015 01:15 PM EDT
As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ability. Many are unable to effectively engage and inspire, creating forward momentum in the direction of desired change. Renowned for its approach to leadership and emphasis on their people, organizations increasingly look to our military for insight into these challenges.
Oct. 9, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 131
For almost two decades, businesses have discovered great opportunities to engage with customers and even expand revenue through digital systems, including web and mobile applications. Yet, even now, the conversation between the business and the technologists that deliver these systems is strained, in large part due to misaligned objectives. In his session at DevOps Summit, James Urquhart, Senior Vice President of Performance Analytics at SOASTA, Inc., will discuss how measuring user outcomes –...
Oct. 9, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 450
As a company adopts a DevOps approach to software development, what are key things that both the Dev and Ops side of the business must keep in mind to ensure effective continuous delivery? In his session at DevOps Summit, Mark Hydar, Head of DevOps, Ericsson TV Platforms, will share best practices and provide helpful tips for Ops teams to adopt an open line of communication with the development side of the house to ensure success between the two sides.
Oct. 9, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 586
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Oct. 9, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 776
Recently announced Azure Data Lake addresses the big data 3V challenges; volume, velocity and variety. It is one more storage feature in addition to blobs and SQL Azure database. Azure Data Lake (should have been Azure Data Ocean IMHO) is really omnipotent. Just look at the key capabilities of Azure Data Lake:
Oct. 9, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 299
The IoT market is on track to hit $7.1 trillion in 2020. The reality is that only a handful of companies are ready for this massive demand. There are a lot of barriers, paint points, traps, and hidden roadblocks. How can we deal with these issues and challenges? The paradigm has changed. Old-style ad-hoc trial-and-error ways will certainly lead you to the dead end. What is mandatory is an overarching and adaptive approach to effectively handle the rapid changes and exponential growth.
Oct. 9, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 148
DevOps is here to stay because it works. Most businesses using this methodology are already realizing a wide range of real, measurable benefits as a result of implementing DevOps, including the breakdown of inter-departmental silos, faster delivery of new features and more stable operating environments. To take advantage of the cloud’s improved speed and flexibility, development and operations teams need to work together more closely and productively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Prashanth...
Oct. 9, 2015 12:53 PM EDT
Docker is hot. However, as Docker container use spreads into more mature production pipelines, there can be issues about control of Docker images to ensure they are production-ready. Is a promotion-based model appropriate to control and track the flow of Docker images from development to production? In his session at DevOps Summit, Fred Simon, Co-founder and Chief Architect of JFrog, will demonstrate how to implement a promotion model for Docker images using a binary repository, and then show h...
Oct. 9, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 121
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Oct. 9, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 120
Achim Weiss is Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of ProfitBricks. In 1995, he broke off his studies to co-found the web hosting company "Schlund+Partner." The company "Schlund+Partner" later became the 1&1 web hosting product line. From 1995 to 2008, he was the technical director for several important projects: the largest web hosting platform in the world, the second largest DSL platform, a video on-demand delivery network, the largest eMail backend in Europe, and a universal billing syste...
Oct. 9, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 166
In his session at DevOps Summit, Bryan Cantrill, CTO at Joyent, will demonstrate a third path: containers on multi-tenant bare metal that maximizes performance, security, and networking connectivity.
Oct. 9, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 173
DevOps has often been described in terms of CAMS: Culture, Automation, Measuring, Sharing. While we’ve seen a lot of focus on the “A” and even on the “M”, there are very few examples of why the “C" is equally important in the DevOps equation. In her session at @DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, of F5 Networks, will explore HTTP/1 and HTTP/2 along with Microservices to illustrate why a collaborative culture between Dev, Ops, and the Network is critical to ensuring success.
Oct. 9, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 164
Manufacturing has widely adopted standardized and automated processes to create designs, build them, and maintain them through their life cycle. However, many modern manufacturing systems go beyond mechanized workflows to introduce empowered workers, flexible collaboration, and rapid iteration. Such behaviors also characterize open source software development and are at the heart of DevOps culture, processes, and tooling.
Oct. 9, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,102