|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 07:27 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Global Licensed/Managed Content Delivery Networks (CDN) Market
Deployments to Increase, but Standalone Offerings will Likely Discontinue Over the Forecast Period
Frost & Sullivan finds that the LCDN/MCDN model is still evolving and its success as a stand-alone offering is still to be determined. The market will never be a large opportunity in terms of revenue, but LCDN/MCDN is starting to become more a check box for CDN service providers to help strengthen their core business. This research study includes a complete market overview along with revenue forecasts from 2011 to 2018. It also presents the drivers and restraints for the market along with an analysis of the present competitive landscape.
• Many telcos and operators have been talking about getting into the content delivery networks (CDN) business but to date, almost none has entered the market with a commercial CDN offering. Nearly all who have tried have failed, (for example, AT&T), and decided it made more sense to resell CDN services from a traditional CDN like Akamai.
• But outside of commercial deployments, nearly all large scale telcos have already deployed or are building out CDNs internally to handle the flow of video across their network. It's a move they all had to make for cost savings and quality of experience (QoE) benefits and while most of them are simply deploying boxes from major hardware vendors, or building it on their own, some telcos are working with vendors who offer a licensed and/or managed CDN offering, so they don't have to start from scratch.
• While there has been an uptick in the number of Licensed CDN (LCDN)/Managed CDN (MCDN) deals in 2013, the market opportunity is very small, in the tens of millions of dollars this year. The market for LCDN/MCDN services will never be large and there are only a few vendors who even offer the service, with most of them doing it for ancillary benefits to their core business and not for generating a lot of revenue from licensing the software or doing a managed CDN build out.
• Market opportunities and perspectives of telcos with regards to the CDN value chain has changed lot in the last X months. Most wanted to build their own and sell it to multiple types of customers, use it for internal purposes for cost savings and some even had ideas of wanting to compete with Akamai and EdgeCast being commercial operators.
• All telcos who attempted to get into the CDN business used different paths and while a small handful succeeded, most didn't. Only Level 3 has a material commercial CDN business that's contributed to their overall business and has been tiered into their core services.
• Frost & Sullivan observed that many telcos leverage their CDNs for internal video delivery deployments, especially for IPTV, where they deploy boxes sold by Cisco and others. By using these solutions and technology like transparent caching, some service providers are able to reduce costs and gain savings to an extent. But most telcos are neither good at selling commercial CDN services, nor entirely successful with the build-it-yourself CDN model.
• In this universe, Frost & Sullivan finds that the LCDN/MCDN model is still evolving and its success as a stand-alone offering is still to be determined. The market will never be a large opportunity in terms of revenue, but LCDN/MCDN is starting to become more a check box for CDN service providers to help strengthen their core business.
• According to Frost & Sullivan, there are about X true LCDN/MCDN deals that have been done, which does not include reseller deals like the one between AT&T and Akamai.
1. Most telcos and carriers are not expected to offer commercial CDN services, but will likely leverage LCDN/MCDN for internal CDN deployments.
2. Very few vendors offer a true LCDN/MCDN solution; those who do, provide it as it offers ancillary benefits to their core business.
3. LCDN/MCDN is a small market today, under $XM in total revenue with at most, two or three dozen deployments.
4. LCDN/MCDN offerings are mostly being sold by commercial CDNs, but over time, should be offered by hardware vendors already selling to telcos and carriers.
5. It won't take long for LCDN/MCDN to go away as a stand-alone offering and instead, be sold as part of a larger solution set.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
Is the market growing? How long will it continue to grow and at what rate?
Are the existing competitors structured correctly to meet customer needs?
Will these companies/products/services continue to exist or will they be acquired by other companies? Will these products/services become features in other markets?
What are the current pricing trends in the market, and how are competitors continuing to provide value-priced products?
Are the products and services offered today meeting customer needs or is additional product development needed?
What regional trends exist for the licensed/managed CDN solutions market?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Overview
3. Total LCDN/ MCDN Market
o External Challenges: Drivers and Restraints
o Forecast and Trends
o Market Share and Competitive Analysis
4. The Last Word
To order this report: Global Licensed/Managed Content Delivery Networks (CDN) Market
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,692
IoT device adoption is growing at staggering rates, and with it comes opportunity for developers to meet consumer demand for an ever more connected world. Wireless communication is the key part of the encompassing components of any IoT device. Wireless connectivity enhances the device utility at the expense of ease of use and deployment challenges. Since connectivity is fundamental for IoT device development, engineers must understand how to overcome the hurdles inherent in incorporating multipl...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,436
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it has become the most popular among the new wave of applications running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Relations at Redis Labs, will shares the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Apr. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,055
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,513
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 647
Many private cloud projects were built to deliver self-service access to development and test resources. While those clouds delivered faster access to resources, they lacked visibility, control and security needed for production deployments. In their session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steve Anderson, Product Manager at BMC Software, and Rick Lefort, Principal Technical Marketing Consultant at BMC Software, will discuss how a cloud designed for production operations not only helps accelerate developer...
Apr. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,098
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 953
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
Apr. 30, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,677
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 940
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 441
As the rapid adoption of containers continues, companies are finding that they lack the operational tools to understand the behavior of applications deployed in these containers, and how to identify issues in their application infrastructure. For example, how are multiple containers within an application impacting each other’s performance? If an application’s service is degraded, which container is to blame? In the case of an application outage, what was the root cause of the outage?
Apr. 30, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 824
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,273
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 938
Peak 10, Inc., has announced the implementation of IT service management, a business process alignment initiative based on the widely adopted Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework. The implementation of IT service management enhances Peak 10’s current service-minded approach to IT delivery by propelling the company to deliver higher levels of personalized and prompt service. The majority of Peak 10’s operations employees have been trained and certified in the ITIL frame...
Apr. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 895
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,451