|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 10:37 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider (www.us.logicalis.com), announced today the findings from a study into the impact of IT transformation on the effectiveness and efficiency of enterprise computing. The study, which surveyed more than 600 qualified IT professionals, was based on a blueprint for IT growth and change called the IT Transformation Journey. According to the study, commissioned by Logicalis through the Ponemon Institute, enterprise and midmarket IT organizations become increasingly more effective and cost-efficient as they move through the six stages of the IT Transformation Journey. Responses highlighted concerns that a lack of vision, technology roadmap and budget, or trusted partners can stop IT progress in its tracks.
[See an infographic summarizing key points from this study here: http://www.ict-log.us/song9.]
"CIOs are searching for relevance today, and in many ways, the ability to increase their value to the company is tied inextricably to the stage in which their IT infrastructure resides along the IT Transformation Journey," says Brett Anderson, director of Enterprise Computing Solutions for Logicalis US. "The more developed a company's IT roadmap, the more readily that company is able to adapt to technological changes and new requirements; respond to risks in a proactive, rather than reactive manner; and overcome threats to IT system availability and performance. They may have less infrastructure on premise and be relying on partners more so that it frees their time to concentrate on using technology to benefit the company in more strategic ways."
- IT pros agree they need to move beyond break/fix keeping-the-lights-on activities into more strategic roles. Today, however, over half of the respondents say that there is a lack of vision on how to make the IT function within the organization more effective.
- 60 percent say too much time is spent tracking and compiling IT expenses vs. performing IT analysis.
- 56 percent say IT in their company is constantly engaged in fighting fires.
- 54 percent say there is too much time spent on technical solutions in their organization, and not enough time spent on developing business-focused solutions.
- Organizations in the early stages of the Transformation Journey may find themselves in a difficult position if they haven't allocated enough budget to move to the next stage of their roadmap. However, those in the later stages find the efficiencies of a well-oiled IT infrastructure and the reduction in failures save them impressive amounts of money.
- Stage 1 companies spent an average of about $51 million on IT transformation activities this year, whereas Stage 5 companies spent about $70 million.
- IT system inefficiencies and failures cost Stage 2 companies an average of $45 million as opposed to Stage 6 companies' $21 million over the past year.
- Companies in Stages 3 and 4 are more likely to predict a substantial increase (20 percent or more) in their IT spending over the next 12 months than companies in other stages.
- Having trusted third parties to rely on is critical throughout the IT Transformation Journey, and is an important factor in respondents' ability to demonstrate cost reduction and ROI along the way. This is important in terms of both creating and implementing the roadmap, as well as working with partners when IT systems are shifted to off-premise – and possibly managed service – environments, something that increases as companies move through the Transformation Journey.
- 40 percent say there is a lack of trusted vendors to support the organization's IT transformation.
- 67 percent of Stage 1 respondents and 66 percent in Stage 6 say these trusted relationships are either essential or very important.
- The greatest percentage of IT operations that are on-premise are in Stage 1 and 2 environments (73 percent and 78 percent respectively), while that number decreases dramatically to just 45 percent for Stage 5 and 40 percent for Stage 6 respondents, illustrating a trend for more IT functions to be moved off premise in the later stages, and cementing the need for strong vendor/partner relationships.
Want to Learn More?
- Access the full report, "The Impact of IT Transformation on Enterprise Computing," here: http://www.ict-log.us/sonCx.
- See an infographic summarizing key points from this study here: http://www.ict-log.us/song9.
- Read a Logicalis Optimal Services study examining CIOs' search for relevance and use of services-led transformations to reduce day-to-day tasks here: http://www.ict-log.us/rI4VZ.
Logicalis is an international IT solutions and managed services provider with a breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications and collaboration; data center and cloud services; and managed services.
Logicalis employs nearly 3,500 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, specify, deploy and manage complex ICT infrastructures to meet the needs of almost 6,000 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM, CA Technologies, EMC, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of over $1.4 billion from operations in Europe, North America, South America and Asia Pacific and is fast establishing itself as one of the leading IT and Communications solution integrators specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of over $5 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
SOURCE Logicalis US
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,909
The financial services market is one of the most data-driven industries in the world, yet it’s bogged down by legacy CPU technologies that simply can’t keep up with the task of querying and visualizing billions of records. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jared Parker, Director of Financial Services at Kinetica, will discuss how the advent of advanced in-database analytics on the GPU makes it possible to run sophisticated data science workloads on the same database that is housing the rich inf...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,610
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Mar. 25, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,549
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,750
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 5,946
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,560
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 25, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,925
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 25, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 498
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle.
Mar. 25, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,829
Providing the needed data for application development and testing is a huge headache for most organizations. The problems are often the same across companies - speed, quality, cost, and control. Provisioning data can take days or weeks, every time a refresh is required. Using dummy data leads to quality problems. Creating physical copies of large data sets and sending them to distributed teams of developers eats up expensive storage and bandwidth resources. And, all of these copies proliferating...
Mar. 25, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 6,438
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 25, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,717
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 25, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,284
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 25, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,707
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 25, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,039
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 25, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,876