|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 10:47 AM EST||
50+ Singles Celebrate a Year of Fantastic Dates, Find Love Later In Life on AARP Dating Site
WASHINGTON, Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP is celebrating the 1-year anniversary of AARP Dating powered by HowAboutWe, a dating site designed to help people find love online by going on great dates, offline. On AARP Dating, 50+ singles finish the phrase, "how about we…" with the date they'd like to go on, connect and get together.
Over the past year, AARP Dating users have suggested nearly a quarter of a million dates since launch. By providing a platform that helps singles connect in person, AARP is actively helping its members combat social isolation, a problem that impacts as many as 17% of older Americans1, often negatively affecting their health and quality of life. With 45% of older adults (65+) divorced, separated or widowed, a modern service that provides a quick, easy way to meet new people is more important than ever.
"It's never too late to enjoy another person's company and admiration. And, contrary to what you may have heard, it's a lot easier and better after 50 than when people were young and a whole less secure in who they are and what they want," said Dr. Pepper Schwartz, AARP's Love & Relationships Ambassador. "People can do well alone, but I think we were all meant to love or at least be affectionate with someone. Dating, flirting, sharing feelings, and maybe, if we're lucky, falling in love, is good for our heart, mind, soul and body."
True Life Stories from Real AARP Daters: From finding a serious relationship, to getting out and meeting new people, success for AARP daters is as varied as their stories:
- Stuart, 58: "I met a wonderful woman and we're still dating 6 months later. We share tons in common, are always laughing and are looking forward to a long future together. It was my first and only date on AARP. Best $12 investment I've ever made."
- Christy, 55: "After years of quiet weekends home with Hallmark movies, with the help of my children I signed up for the site. Pleasantly surprised and flattered by several invitations, I responded to one and we've been seeing each other for the past five months. Excited to have that missing spark back in my life!"
- Laura, 61: "I like the way the site focuses on date ideas because it lets people show their personality. I've gone on lots of dates, so I'm enjoying it so far."
Culture + Coffee + the Great Outdoors = The Perfect Date on AARP Dating: After analyzing close to a quarter million dates suggested by AARP Dating users over the past year, three major trends emerged in their dating habits:
- The top date for AARP singles? Getting some fresh air: As demonstrated by their wealth of dates, it's clear that 50+ singles are an active, outdoorsy bunch: they love to venture outside and get moving on first dates. More than ⅓ of all AARP Dating dates involve taking a walk outside, most often at the beach or park. And when they're not out for a stroll, AARP Dating users stay active most often by suggesting hiking, bike riding or kayaking.
- AARP dates are fueled by java: Where do AARP Dating singles get all that energy? We blame the coffee. One in four AARP Dating dates involve the buzzy beverage, and 70% of the time those coffee dates are paired with another activity, such as catching a show or going on a bike ride.
- Setting the scene with Inspiring, arty dates: When they're not outside or getting their caffeine fix, 50+ singles are drinking in culture, most often suggesting dates that involve live music, art exhibitions and comedy shows.
- Battle of the sexes—women like to dance, men like to dine: Women on AARP Dating are four times more likely to suggest going out dancing on a first date than men are. They're also five times more likely to suggest drinking beer. (Men, on the other hand, prefer dinner and wine on first dates).
How 50+ Singles Use AARP Dating: They're optimistic, weekend-loving and equal-opportunity daters.
- New Year, new opportunities: Sure it's cold out, but that won't keep 50+ singles down. They sign in and post dates most often during late winter and early spring -- specifically in January, February and March -- ringing in the New Year by getting out and meeting new, like-minded people.
- Weekends are where the fun is: 50+ singles by and large love to post dates on Saturday, more than any other day of the week. In contrast, 24-34-year-olds post dates throughout the week, favoring Monday and Wednesdays. Women of all ages prefer to set up dates mid-week, since they suggest more dates on Wednesdays than men do. Men, on the other hand, do the majority of their date-planning on the weekends, posting more dates on Sundays than women.
- Messages from AARP Daters—thoughtful and selective: Overall, 50+ singles on HowAboutWe Dating tend to be more selective with their outreach and send on average 44% fewer messages than singles between the ages of 24-34.
- Equal opportunity messaging: 50+ men and women are equally successful when sending messages. Both receive nearly the same amount of responses, with women receiving just 4% more replies than their male counterparts. In contrast, women between the ages of 24-34 are significantly more likely to receive a response than men of the same age.
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ singles: 1. New York, NY, 2. Cincinnati, OH 3. Cleveland, OH
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ Men: 1. Albany, NY, 2. Dallas, TX 3. San Antonio, TX
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ Women: 1. New Orleans, LA 2. Cleveland, OH 3. Indianapolis, IND
AARP Dating can be accessed at dating.aarp.org and gives visitors to the site an exclusive 7-day free trial, plus a 50 percent discount for AARP members who choose to subscribe to the monthly service.
AARP recently released Dating After 50 for Dummies, authored by AARP's Love & Relationship Ambassador Dr. Pepper Schwartz. Both she and AARP Contributor and author of The Best of Everything After 50: The Experts' Guide to Style, Sex, Health, Money, and More, Barbara Hannah Grufferman are available to discuss the 50+ dating landscape, offer tips on creating a profile, suggesting dates and sending messages, as well as how to survive Valentine's day as a single person. Real 50+ singles on AARP Dating and HowAboutWe are available for interviews upon request.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
Founded in 2010, HowAboutWe is a digital lifestyle company dedicated to helping people fall and stay in love. Headquartered in Brooklyn, New York, HowAboutWe is comprised of two subscription-based products, HowAboutWe Dating and HowAboutWe for Couples, and HowAboutWe Media, an independent media network devoted to all things love, sex and culture. For more information, visit www.howaboutwe.com
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 26, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,413
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 26, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,149
Cloud promises the agility required by today’s digital businesses. As organizations adopt cloud based infrastructures and services, their IT resources become increasingly dynamic and hybrid in nature. Managing these require modern IT operations and tools. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Raj Sundaram, Senior Principal Product Manager at CA Technologies, will discuss how to modernize your IT operations in order to proactively manage your hybrid cloud and IT environments. He will be sharing be...
Apr. 26, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 420
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 26, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 363
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 26, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,428
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Apr. 26, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,368
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 891
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 584
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,154
While some vendors scramble to create and sell you a fancy solution for monitoring your spanking new Amazon Lambdas, hear how you can do it on the cheap using just built-in Java APIs yourself. By exploiting a little-known fact that Lambdas aren’t exactly single threaded, you can effectively identify hot spots in your serverless code. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, David Martin, Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will give a live demonstration and code walkthrough, showing how to o...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 516
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,524
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,121
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,881
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 709
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain.
Apr. 26, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,647