|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 10:47 AM EST||
50+ Singles Celebrate a Year of Fantastic Dates, Find Love Later In Life on AARP Dating Site
WASHINGTON, Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP is celebrating the 1-year anniversary of AARP Dating powered by HowAboutWe, a dating site designed to help people find love online by going on great dates, offline. On AARP Dating, 50+ singles finish the phrase, "how about we…" with the date they'd like to go on, connect and get together.
Over the past year, AARP Dating users have suggested nearly a quarter of a million dates since launch. By providing a platform that helps singles connect in person, AARP is actively helping its members combat social isolation, a problem that impacts as many as 17% of older Americans1, often negatively affecting their health and quality of life. With 45% of older adults (65+) divorced, separated or widowed, a modern service that provides a quick, easy way to meet new people is more important than ever.
"It's never too late to enjoy another person's company and admiration. And, contrary to what you may have heard, it's a lot easier and better after 50 than when people were young and a whole less secure in who they are and what they want," said Dr. Pepper Schwartz, AARP's Love & Relationships Ambassador. "People can do well alone, but I think we were all meant to love or at least be affectionate with someone. Dating, flirting, sharing feelings, and maybe, if we're lucky, falling in love, is good for our heart, mind, soul and body."
True Life Stories from Real AARP Daters: From finding a serious relationship, to getting out and meeting new people, success for AARP daters is as varied as their stories:
- Stuart, 58: "I met a wonderful woman and we're still dating 6 months later. We share tons in common, are always laughing and are looking forward to a long future together. It was my first and only date on AARP. Best $12 investment I've ever made."
- Christy, 55: "After years of quiet weekends home with Hallmark movies, with the help of my children I signed up for the site. Pleasantly surprised and flattered by several invitations, I responded to one and we've been seeing each other for the past five months. Excited to have that missing spark back in my life!"
- Laura, 61: "I like the way the site focuses on date ideas because it lets people show their personality. I've gone on lots of dates, so I'm enjoying it so far."
Culture + Coffee + the Great Outdoors = The Perfect Date on AARP Dating: After analyzing close to a quarter million dates suggested by AARP Dating users over the past year, three major trends emerged in their dating habits:
- The top date for AARP singles? Getting some fresh air: As demonstrated by their wealth of dates, it's clear that 50+ singles are an active, outdoorsy bunch: they love to venture outside and get moving on first dates. More than ⅓ of all AARP Dating dates involve taking a walk outside, most often at the beach or park. And when they're not out for a stroll, AARP Dating users stay active most often by suggesting hiking, bike riding or kayaking.
- AARP dates are fueled by java: Where do AARP Dating singles get all that energy? We blame the coffee. One in four AARP Dating dates involve the buzzy beverage, and 70% of the time those coffee dates are paired with another activity, such as catching a show or going on a bike ride.
- Setting the scene with Inspiring, arty dates: When they're not outside or getting their caffeine fix, 50+ singles are drinking in culture, most often suggesting dates that involve live music, art exhibitions and comedy shows.
- Battle of the sexes—women like to dance, men like to dine: Women on AARP Dating are four times more likely to suggest going out dancing on a first date than men are. They're also five times more likely to suggest drinking beer. (Men, on the other hand, prefer dinner and wine on first dates).
How 50+ Singles Use AARP Dating: They're optimistic, weekend-loving and equal-opportunity daters.
- New Year, new opportunities: Sure it's cold out, but that won't keep 50+ singles down. They sign in and post dates most often during late winter and early spring -- specifically in January, February and March -- ringing in the New Year by getting out and meeting new, like-minded people.
- Weekends are where the fun is: 50+ singles by and large love to post dates on Saturday, more than any other day of the week. In contrast, 24-34-year-olds post dates throughout the week, favoring Monday and Wednesdays. Women of all ages prefer to set up dates mid-week, since they suggest more dates on Wednesdays than men do. Men, on the other hand, do the majority of their date-planning on the weekends, posting more dates on Sundays than women.
- Messages from AARP Daters—thoughtful and selective: Overall, 50+ singles on HowAboutWe Dating tend to be more selective with their outreach and send on average 44% fewer messages than singles between the ages of 24-34.
- Equal opportunity messaging: 50+ men and women are equally successful when sending messages. Both receive nearly the same amount of responses, with women receiving just 4% more replies than their male counterparts. In contrast, women between the ages of 24-34 are significantly more likely to receive a response than men of the same age.
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ singles: 1. New York, NY, 2. Cincinnati, OH 3. Cleveland, OH
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ Men: 1. Albany, NY, 2. Dallas, TX 3. San Antonio, TX
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ Women: 1. New Orleans, LA 2. Cleveland, OH 3. Indianapolis, IND
AARP Dating can be accessed at dating.aarp.org and gives visitors to the site an exclusive 7-day free trial, plus a 50 percent discount for AARP members who choose to subscribe to the monthly service.
AARP recently released Dating After 50 for Dummies, authored by AARP's Love & Relationship Ambassador Dr. Pepper Schwartz. Both she and AARP Contributor and author of The Best of Everything After 50: The Experts' Guide to Style, Sex, Health, Money, and More, Barbara Hannah Grufferman are available to discuss the 50+ dating landscape, offer tips on creating a profile, suggesting dates and sending messages, as well as how to survive Valentine's day as a single person. Real 50+ singles on AARP Dating and HowAboutWe are available for interviews upon request.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
Founded in 2010, HowAboutWe is a digital lifestyle company dedicated to helping people fall and stay in love. Headquartered in Brooklyn, New York, HowAboutWe is comprised of two subscription-based products, HowAboutWe Dating and HowAboutWe for Couples, and HowAboutWe Media, an independent media network devoted to all things love, sex and culture. For more information, visit www.howaboutwe.com
Saviynt Inc. has announced the availability of the next release of Saviynt for AWS. The comprehensive security and compliance solution provides a Command-and-Control center to gain visibility into risks in AWS, enforce real-time protection of critical workloads as well as data and automate access life-cycle governance. The solution enables AWS customers to meet their compliance mandates such as ITAR, SOX, PCI, etc. by including an extensive risk and controls library to detect known threats and b...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:30 PM EDT
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 282
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 179
SYS-CON Events announced today that VividCortex, the monitoring solution for the modern data system, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The database is the heart of most applications, but it’s also the part that’s hardest to scale, monitor, and optimize even as it’s growing 50% year over year. VividCortex is the first unified suite of database monitoring tools specifically desi...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 430
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,831
You have your devices and your data, but what about the rest of your Internet of Things story? Two popular classes of technologies that nicely handle the Big Data analytics for Internet of Things are Apache Hadoop and NoSQL. Hadoop is designed for parallelizing analytical work across many servers and is ideal for the massive data volumes you create with IoT devices. NoSQL databases such as Apache HBase are ideal for storing and retrieving IoT data as “time series data.”
Oct. 7, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 475
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 156
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete en...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:45 PM EDT
DevOps and Continuous Delivery software provider XebiaLabs has announced it has been selected to join the Amazon Web Services (AWS) DevOps Competency partner program. The program is designed to highlight software vendors like XebiaLabs who have demonstrated technical expertise and proven customer success in DevOps and specialized solution areas like Continuous Delivery. DevOps Competency Partners provide solutions to, or have deep experience working with AWS users and other businesses to help t...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:45 PM EDT
Clearly the way forward is to move to cloud be it bare metal, VMs or containers. One aspect of the current public clouds that is slowing this cloud migration is cloud lock-in. Every cloud vendor is trying to make it very difficult to move out once a customer has chosen their cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Naveen Nimmu, CEO of Clouber, Inc., will advocate that making the inter-cloud migration as simple as changing airlines would help the entire industry to quickly adopt the cloud wit...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 604
SYS-CON Events announced today that Luxoft Holding, Inc., a leading provider of software development services and innovative IT solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Luxoft’s software development services consist of core and mission-critical custom software development and support, product engineering and testing, and technology consulting.
Oct. 7, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 593
As-a-service models offer huge opportunities, but also complicate security. It may seem that the easiest way to migrate to a new architectural model is to let others, experts in their field, do the work. This has given rise to many as-a-service models throughout the industry and across the entire technology stack, from software to infrastructure. While this has unlocked huge opportunities to accelerate the deployment of new capabilities or increase economic efficiencies within an organization, i...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 154
The APN DevOps Competency highlights APN Partners who demonstrate deep capabilities delivering continuous integration, continuous delivery, and configuration management. They help customers transform their business to be more efficient and agile by leveraging the AWS platform and DevOps principles.
Oct. 7, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 116
Mobile, social, Big Data, and cloud have fundamentally changed the way we live. “Anytime, anywhere” access to data and information is no longer a luxury; it’s a requirement, in both our personal and professional lives. For IT organizations, this means pressure has never been greater to deliver meaningful services to the business and customers.
Oct. 7, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 304
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 745