|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 10:47 AM EST||
50+ Singles Celebrate a Year of Fantastic Dates, Find Love Later In Life on AARP Dating Site
WASHINGTON, Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AARP is celebrating the 1-year anniversary of AARP Dating powered by HowAboutWe, a dating site designed to help people find love online by going on great dates, offline. On AARP Dating, 50+ singles finish the phrase, "how about we…" with the date they'd like to go on, connect and get together.
Over the past year, AARP Dating users have suggested nearly a quarter of a million dates since launch. By providing a platform that helps singles connect in person, AARP is actively helping its members combat social isolation, a problem that impacts as many as 17% of older Americans1, often negatively affecting their health and quality of life. With 45% of older adults (65+) divorced, separated or widowed, a modern service that provides a quick, easy way to meet new people is more important than ever.
"It's never too late to enjoy another person's company and admiration. And, contrary to what you may have heard, it's a lot easier and better after 50 than when people were young and a whole less secure in who they are and what they want," said Dr. Pepper Schwartz, AARP's Love & Relationships Ambassador. "People can do well alone, but I think we were all meant to love or at least be affectionate with someone. Dating, flirting, sharing feelings, and maybe, if we're lucky, falling in love, is good for our heart, mind, soul and body."
True Life Stories from Real AARP Daters: From finding a serious relationship, to getting out and meeting new people, success for AARP daters is as varied as their stories:
- Stuart, 58: "I met a wonderful woman and we're still dating 6 months later. We share tons in common, are always laughing and are looking forward to a long future together. It was my first and only date on AARP. Best $12 investment I've ever made."
- Christy, 55: "After years of quiet weekends home with Hallmark movies, with the help of my children I signed up for the site. Pleasantly surprised and flattered by several invitations, I responded to one and we've been seeing each other for the past five months. Excited to have that missing spark back in my life!"
- Laura, 61: "I like the way the site focuses on date ideas because it lets people show their personality. I've gone on lots of dates, so I'm enjoying it so far."
Culture + Coffee + the Great Outdoors = The Perfect Date on AARP Dating: After analyzing close to a quarter million dates suggested by AARP Dating users over the past year, three major trends emerged in their dating habits:
- The top date for AARP singles? Getting some fresh air: As demonstrated by their wealth of dates, it's clear that 50+ singles are an active, outdoorsy bunch: they love to venture outside and get moving on first dates. More than ⅓ of all AARP Dating dates involve taking a walk outside, most often at the beach or park. And when they're not out for a stroll, AARP Dating users stay active most often by suggesting hiking, bike riding or kayaking.
- AARP dates are fueled by java: Where do AARP Dating singles get all that energy? We blame the coffee. One in four AARP Dating dates involve the buzzy beverage, and 70% of the time those coffee dates are paired with another activity, such as catching a show or going on a bike ride.
- Setting the scene with Inspiring, arty dates: When they're not outside or getting their caffeine fix, 50+ singles are drinking in culture, most often suggesting dates that involve live music, art exhibitions and comedy shows.
- Battle of the sexes—women like to dance, men like to dine: Women on AARP Dating are four times more likely to suggest going out dancing on a first date than men are. They're also five times more likely to suggest drinking beer. (Men, on the other hand, prefer dinner and wine on first dates).
How 50+ Singles Use AARP Dating: They're optimistic, weekend-loving and equal-opportunity daters.
- New Year, new opportunities: Sure it's cold out, but that won't keep 50+ singles down. They sign in and post dates most often during late winter and early spring -- specifically in January, February and March -- ringing in the New Year by getting out and meeting new, like-minded people.
- Weekends are where the fun is: 50+ singles by and large love to post dates on Saturday, more than any other day of the week. In contrast, 24-34-year-olds post dates throughout the week, favoring Monday and Wednesdays. Women of all ages prefer to set up dates mid-week, since they suggest more dates on Wednesdays than men do. Men, on the other hand, do the majority of their date-planning on the weekends, posting more dates on Sundays than women.
- Messages from AARP Daters—thoughtful and selective: Overall, 50+ singles on HowAboutWe Dating tend to be more selective with their outreach and send on average 44% fewer messages than singles between the ages of 24-34.
- Equal opportunity messaging: 50+ men and women are equally successful when sending messages. Both receive nearly the same amount of responses, with women receiving just 4% more replies than their male counterparts. In contrast, women between the ages of 24-34 are significantly more likely to receive a response than men of the same age.
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ singles: 1. New York, NY, 2. Cincinnati, OH 3. Cleveland, OH
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ Men: 1. Albany, NY, 2. Dallas, TX 3. San Antonio, TX
- Top Three Most Responsive Cities for 50+ Women: 1. New Orleans, LA 2. Cleveland, OH 3. Indianapolis, IND
AARP Dating can be accessed at dating.aarp.org and gives visitors to the site an exclusive 7-day free trial, plus a 50 percent discount for AARP members who choose to subscribe to the monthly service.
AARP recently released Dating After 50 for Dummies, authored by AARP's Love & Relationship Ambassador Dr. Pepper Schwartz. Both she and AARP Contributor and author of The Best of Everything After 50: The Experts' Guide to Style, Sex, Health, Money, and More, Barbara Hannah Grufferman are available to discuss the 50+ dating landscape, offer tips on creating a profile, suggesting dates and sending messages, as well as how to survive Valentine's day as a single person. Real 50+ singles on AARP Dating and HowAboutWe are available for interviews upon request.
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse. We advocate for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as help our members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services. A trusted source for lifestyle tips, news and educational information, AARP produces AARP The Magazine, the world's largest circulation magazine; AARP Bulletin; www.aarp.org; AARP TV & Radio; AARP Books; and AARP en Español, a Spanish-language website addressing the interests and needs of Hispanics. AARP does not endorse candidates for public office or make contributions to political campaigns or candidates. The AARP Foundation is an affiliated charity that provides security, protection, and empowerment to older persons in need with support from thousands of volunteers, donors, and sponsors. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more at www.aarp.org.
Founded in 2010, HowAboutWe is a digital lifestyle company dedicated to helping people fall and stay in love. Headquartered in Brooklyn, New York, HowAboutWe is comprised of two subscription-based products, HowAboutWe Dating and HowAboutWe for Couples, and HowAboutWe Media, an independent media network devoted to all things love, sex and culture. For more information, visit www.howaboutwe.com
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Oct. 21, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,406
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 21, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 862
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 21, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 981
We are reaching the end of the beginning with WebRTC, and real systems using this technology have begun to appear. One challenge that faces every WebRTC deployment (in some form or another) is identity management. For example, if you have an existing service – possibly built on a variety of different PaaS/SaaS offerings – and you want to add real-time communications you are faced with a challenge relating to user management, authentication, authorization, and validation. Service providers will w...
Oct. 21, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,141
The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF), sponsor of the IoTivity open source project, and AllSeen Alliance, which provides the AllJoyn® open source IoT framework, today announced that the two organizations’ boards have approved a merger under the OCF name and bylaws. This merger will advance interoperability between connected devices from both groups, enabling the full operating potential of IoT and representing a significant step towards a connected ecosystem.
Oct. 21, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,125
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 21, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 33,892
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Oct. 21, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,208
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 21, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 626
Effectively SMBs and government programs must address compounded regulatory compliance requirements. The most recent are Controlled Unclassified Information and the EU’s GDPR have Board Level implications. Managing sensitive data protection will likely result in acquisition criteria, demonstration requests and new requirements. Developers, as part of the pre-planning process and the associated supply chain, could benefit from updating their code libraries and design by incorporating changes.
Oct. 21, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,588
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 21, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,194
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 21, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,979
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and...
Oct. 21, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 344
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining senso...
Oct. 21, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 257
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Oct. 21, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,614
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 21, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 8,931