|By Marketwired .||
|February 4, 2014 11:41 AM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 02/04/14 -- Did you know?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is here to help you during tax season. Here's some information you should know about your taxes, including ways to save money at tax time.
1. Plan ahead - Register for My Account and sign up for direct deposit, so you'll be ready when you file your income tax and benefit return. You can use My Account to view your tax slip information, your RRSP deduction limit, your TFSA contributions, and more. Also, be sure to file on time to avoid late-filing penalties and fees and to make sure your benefit and credit payments are not interrupted.
2. Tax-free savings account (TFSA) - Using a TFSA is a great way to save money. Generally, interest, dividends, and capital gains earned on investments in a TFSA are not taxable---either while held in the account or when withdrawn.
3. Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) - You can save on your taxes and save for your retirement at the same time. Contributions to your RRSP are tax-deductible, and any income that you earn in your RRSP accumulates tax-free as long as the funds stay in the plan. The RRSP contribution deadline for the 2013 tax year has been extended to Monday, March 3, 2014, as March 1 falls on a Saturday.
4. Charitable donations - Donations of cash, goods, land, or listed securities made to a registered charity or other qualified donee may be eligible for a charitable tax credit. Also, take advantage of the new first-time donor's super credit on gifts of money to a maximum of $1,000 made after March 20, 2013, if you are considered a first-time donor.
5. Families - There are many ways families can save at tax time. The activities you signed your kids up for may save you money on your taxes---save those receipts! If you care for dependants with a physical or mental impairment, you may be able to claim up to an additional amount of $2,040 when calculating certain non-refundable tax credits related to the family caregiver amount.
6. Students - Were you a student during 2013? You may be able to claim tuition, textbook, and education amounts, as well as the interest you paid on your student loan.
7. Public transit amount - If you use public transit, you may be able to save by claiming the cost of your transit passes.
8. Seniors - If you receive a pension, you may be able to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner to reduce the taxes that you pay. You may also be eligible to claim the age amount, medical expenses, and the disability tax credit.
9. Home buyers - You may be able to save up to $750 if you are a first-time home buyer in 2013.
10. Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) - If you need help filing your return and you have modest income and a simple tax situation, contact the CVITP, which runs volunteer tax clinics across the country. For more information on the CVITP, go to www.cra.gc.ca/volunteer.
Fast facts about filing your income tax return online
-- Filing your return online lets you get your refund faster and avoids interruptions to your Canada child tax benefit or GST/HST credit payments. -- Filing online is easy. Certified software packages and web applications (some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, making sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for. -- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security Canadian financial institutions use. -- Go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and let us walk you through the process step by step.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
-- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
-- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
-- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
Canada Revenue Agency
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, discussed how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from millio...
Oct. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,194
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 697
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,971
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,540
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,148
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,142
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that cl...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 647
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,782
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,179
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,387
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 34,368
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,223
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,210
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 28, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,264
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 28, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,524