|By Marketwired .||
|February 4, 2014 11:41 AM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 02/04/14 -- Did you know?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is here to help you during tax season. Here's some information you should know about your taxes, including ways to save money at tax time.
1. Plan ahead - Register for My Account and sign up for direct deposit, so you'll be ready when you file your income tax and benefit return. You can use My Account to view your tax slip information, your RRSP deduction limit, your TFSA contributions, and more. Also, be sure to file on time to avoid late-filing penalties and fees and to make sure your benefit and credit payments are not interrupted.
2. Tax-free savings account (TFSA) - Using a TFSA is a great way to save money. Generally, interest, dividends, and capital gains earned on investments in a TFSA are not taxable---either while held in the account or when withdrawn.
3. Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) - You can save on your taxes and save for your retirement at the same time. Contributions to your RRSP are tax-deductible, and any income that you earn in your RRSP accumulates tax-free as long as the funds stay in the plan. The RRSP contribution deadline for the 2013 tax year has been extended to Monday, March 3, 2014, as March 1 falls on a Saturday.
4. Charitable donations - Donations of cash, goods, land, or listed securities made to a registered charity or other qualified donee may be eligible for a charitable tax credit. Also, take advantage of the new first-time donor's super credit on gifts of money to a maximum of $1,000 made after March 20, 2013, if you are considered a first-time donor.
5. Families - There are many ways families can save at tax time. The activities you signed your kids up for may save you money on your taxes---save those receipts! If you care for dependants with a physical or mental impairment, you may be able to claim up to an additional amount of $2,040 when calculating certain non-refundable tax credits related to the family caregiver amount.
6. Students - Were you a student during 2013? You may be able to claim tuition, textbook, and education amounts, as well as the interest you paid on your student loan.
7. Public transit amount - If you use public transit, you may be able to save by claiming the cost of your transit passes.
8. Seniors - If you receive a pension, you may be able to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner to reduce the taxes that you pay. You may also be eligible to claim the age amount, medical expenses, and the disability tax credit.
9. Home buyers - You may be able to save up to $750 if you are a first-time home buyer in 2013.
10. Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) - If you need help filing your return and you have modest income and a simple tax situation, contact the CVITP, which runs volunteer tax clinics across the country. For more information on the CVITP, go to www.cra.gc.ca/volunteer.
Fast facts about filing your income tax return online
-- Filing your return online lets you get your refund faster and avoids interruptions to your Canada child tax benefit or GST/HST credit payments. -- Filing online is easy. Certified software packages and web applications (some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, making sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for. -- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security Canadian financial institutions use. -- Go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and let us walk you through the process step by step.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
-- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
-- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
-- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
Canada Revenue Agency
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 3, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,851
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 3, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 274
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Dec. 3, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,938
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, drew together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established compa...
Dec. 3, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 723
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 3, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 3,754
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 3, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,487
Effectively SMBs and government programs must address compounded regulatory compliance requirements. The most recent are Controlled Unclassified Information and the EU's GDPR have Board Level implications. Managing sensitive data protection will likely result in acquisition criteria, demonstration requests and new requirements. Developers, as part of the pre-planning process and the associated supply chain, could benefit from updating their code libraries and design by incorporating changes. In...
Dec. 3, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 927
"Coalfire is a cyber-risk, security and compliance assessment and advisory services firm. We do a lot of work with the cloud service provider community," explained Ryan McGowan, Vice President, Sales (West) at Coalfire Systems, Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 3, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 723
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 3, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 448
CloudJumper, a Workspace as a Service (WaaS) platform innovator for agile business IT, has been recognized with the Customer Value Leadership Award for its nWorkSpace platform by Frost & Sullivan. The company was also featured in a new report(1) by the industry research firm titled, “Desktop-as-a-Service Buyer’s Guide, 2016,” which provides a comprehensive comparison of DaaS providers, including CloudJumper, Amazon, VMware, and Microsoft.
Dec. 3, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 674
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 3, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,065
We are always online. We access our data, our finances, work, and various services on the Internet. But we live in a congested world of information in which the roads were built two decades ago. The quest for better, faster Internet routing has been around for a decade, but nobody solved this problem. We’ve seen band-aid approaches like CDNs that attack a niche's slice of static content part of the Internet, but that’s it. It does not address the dynamic services-based Internet of today. It does...
Dec. 3, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 823
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 3, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 1,624
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Dec. 3, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,137
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 3, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 791