News Feed Item
Tax Tip/It's Tax Time and we Have Valuable Information for you
|By Marketwired .
|February 4, 2014 11:41 AM EST
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 02/04/14 -- Did you know?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is here to help you during tax season. Here's some information you should know about your taxes, including ways to save money at tax time.
1. Plan ahead - Register for My Account and sign up for direct deposit, so you'll be ready when you file your income tax and benefit return. You can use My Account to view your tax slip information, your RRSP deduction limit, your TFSA contributions, and more. Also, be sure to file on time to avoid late-filing penalties and fees and to make sure your benefit and credit payments are not interrupted.
2. Tax-free savings account (TFSA) - Using a TFSA is a great way to save money. Generally, interest, dividends, and capital gains earned on investments in a TFSA are not taxable---either while held in the account or when withdrawn.
3. Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) - You can save on your taxes and save for your retirement at the same time. Contributions to your RRSP are tax-deductible, and any income that you earn in your RRSP accumulates tax-free as long as the funds stay in the plan. The RRSP contribution deadline for the 2013 tax year has been extended to Monday, March 3, 2014, as March 1 falls on a Saturday.
4. Charitable donations - Donations of cash, goods, land, or listed securities made to a registered charity or other qualified donee may be eligible for a charitable tax credit. Also, take advantage of the new first-time donor's super credit on gifts of money to a maximum of $1,000 made after March 20, 2013, if you are considered a first-time donor.
5. Families - There are many ways families can save at tax time. The activities you signed your kids up for may save you money on your taxes---save those receipts! If you care for dependants with a physical or mental impairment, you may be able to claim up to an additional amount of $2,040 when calculating certain non-refundable tax credits related to the family caregiver amount.
6. Students - Were you a student during 2013? You may be able to claim tuition, textbook, and education amounts, as well as the interest you paid on your student loan.
7. Public transit amount - If you use public transit, you may be able to save by claiming the cost of your transit passes.
8. Seniors - If you receive a pension, you may be able to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner to reduce the taxes that you pay. You may also be eligible to claim the age amount, medical expenses, and the disability tax credit.
9. Home buyers - You may be able to save up to $750 if you are a first-time home buyer in 2013.
10. Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) - If you need help filing your return and you have modest income and a simple tax situation, contact the CVITP, which runs volunteer tax clinics across the country. For more information on the CVITP, go to www.cra.gc.ca/volunteer.
Fast facts about filing your income tax return online
-- Filing your return online lets you get your refund faster and avoids
interruptions to your Canada child tax benefit or GST/HST credit
-- Filing online is easy. Certified software packages and web applications
(some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, making
sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for.
-- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online
security Canadian financial institutions use.
-- Go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and let us walk you through the process
step by step.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
-- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
-- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
-- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
"ciqada is a combined platform of hardware modules and server products that lets people take their existing devices or new devices and lets them be accessible over the Internet for their users," noted Geoff Engelstein of ciqada, a division of Mars International, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 8, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,125
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations.
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 8, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,533
Countless business models have spawned from the IaaS industry. Resell Web hosting, blogs, public cloud, and on and on. With the overwhelming amount of tools available to us, it's sometimes easy to overlook that many of them are just new skins of resources we've had for a long time.
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Lead Technology Evangelist at SoftLayer, broke down what we've got to work with and discuss the benefits and pitfalls to discover how we can best use them to d...
Jul. 7, 2015 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,497
"We have seen the evolution of WebRTC right from the starting point to what it has become today, that people are using in real applications," noted Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President and Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy and Ecosystem at GENBAND, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,238
Enterprises are turning to the hybrid cloud to drive greater scalability and cost-effectiveness. But enterprises should beware as the definition of “policy” varies wildly. Some say it’s the ability to control the resources apps’ use or where the apps run. Others view policy as governing the permissions and delivering security. Policy is all of that and more. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Derek Collison, founder and CEO of Apcera, explained what policy is, he showed how policy should be arch...
Jul. 7, 2015 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,251
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Jul. 7, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,001
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world...
Jul. 7, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,640
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application.
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, discussed how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at th...
Jul. 7, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,670
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US a...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,512
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,293
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 7, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,331
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,754
"CenturyLink brings a full suite of services to the table and that enables us to be an IT service provider," explained Jeff Katzen, Director of the Cloud Practice at CenturyLink, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 7, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 888
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Jul. 7, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,000
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Jul. 7, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,471