|By Marketwired .||
|February 4, 2014 11:41 AM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 02/04/14 -- Did you know?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is here to help you during tax season. Here's some information you should know about your taxes, including ways to save money at tax time.
1. Plan ahead - Register for My Account and sign up for direct deposit, so you'll be ready when you file your income tax and benefit return. You can use My Account to view your tax slip information, your RRSP deduction limit, your TFSA contributions, and more. Also, be sure to file on time to avoid late-filing penalties and fees and to make sure your benefit and credit payments are not interrupted.
2. Tax-free savings account (TFSA) - Using a TFSA is a great way to save money. Generally, interest, dividends, and capital gains earned on investments in a TFSA are not taxable---either while held in the account or when withdrawn.
3. Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) - You can save on your taxes and save for your retirement at the same time. Contributions to your RRSP are tax-deductible, and any income that you earn in your RRSP accumulates tax-free as long as the funds stay in the plan. The RRSP contribution deadline for the 2013 tax year has been extended to Monday, March 3, 2014, as March 1 falls on a Saturday.
4. Charitable donations - Donations of cash, goods, land, or listed securities made to a registered charity or other qualified donee may be eligible for a charitable tax credit. Also, take advantage of the new first-time donor's super credit on gifts of money to a maximum of $1,000 made after March 20, 2013, if you are considered a first-time donor.
5. Families - There are many ways families can save at tax time. The activities you signed your kids up for may save you money on your taxes---save those receipts! If you care for dependants with a physical or mental impairment, you may be able to claim up to an additional amount of $2,040 when calculating certain non-refundable tax credits related to the family caregiver amount.
6. Students - Were you a student during 2013? You may be able to claim tuition, textbook, and education amounts, as well as the interest you paid on your student loan.
7. Public transit amount - If you use public transit, you may be able to save by claiming the cost of your transit passes.
8. Seniors - If you receive a pension, you may be able to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner to reduce the taxes that you pay. You may also be eligible to claim the age amount, medical expenses, and the disability tax credit.
9. Home buyers - You may be able to save up to $750 if you are a first-time home buyer in 2013.
10. Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) - If you need help filing your return and you have modest income and a simple tax situation, contact the CVITP, which runs volunteer tax clinics across the country. For more information on the CVITP, go to www.cra.gc.ca/volunteer.
Fast facts about filing your income tax return online
-- Filing your return online lets you get your refund faster and avoids interruptions to your Canada child tax benefit or GST/HST credit payments. -- Filing online is easy. Certified software packages and web applications (some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, making sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for. -- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security Canadian financial institutions use. -- Go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and let us walk you through the process step by step.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
-- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
-- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
-- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
Canada Revenue Agency
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Sep. 28, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,215
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,390
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,205
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,081
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,092
Apache Hadoop is a key technology for gaining business insights from your Big Data, but the penetration into enterprises is shockingly low. In fact, Apache Hadoop and Big Data proponents recognize that this technology has not yet achieved its game-changing business potential. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, John Mertic, director of program management for ODPi at The Linux Foundation, will explain why this is, how we can work together as an open data community to increase adoption, and the i...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,063
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Sep. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,161
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interface Masters Technologies, a leader in Network Visibility and Uptime Solutions, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Interface Masters Technologies is a leading vendor in the network monitoring and high speed networking markets. Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Interface Masters' expertise lies in Gigabit, 10 Gigabit and 40 Gigabit Eth...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,639
DevOps and microservices are permeating software engineering teams broadly, whether these teams are in pure software shops but happen to run a business, such Uber and Airbnb, or in companies that rely heavily on software to run more traditional business, such as financial firms or high-end manufacturers. Microservices and DevOps have created software development and therefore business speed and agility benefits, but they have also created problems; specifically, they have created software sec...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,277
Much of the value of DevOps comes from a (renewed) focus on measurement, sharing, and continuous feedback loops. In increasingly complex DevOps workflows and environments, and especially in larger, regulated, or more crystallized organizations, these core concepts become even more critical. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Andi Mann, Chief Technology Advocate at Splunk, showed how, by focusing on 'metrics that matter,' you can provide objective, transparent, and meaningful f...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,751
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,843
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,202
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Sep. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,128
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,550