|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 12:37 PM EST||
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Hundreds of educators from across the country, inspired by a teacher from their past, wrote essays telling their story about why they pursued a career in education. The judges chose five winning essays for Zaner-Bloser's Which Teacher Inspired Your Future? Contest.
In one winning essay, Lydia Gilbert wrote about her favorite teacher, Sheila VerNoy, continuing to work and show courage to her students despite being diagnosed with cancer.
"Mrs. VerNoy always maintained a high level of professionalism even while dealing with cancer," said Gilbert, an elementary school counselor in Bogota, New Jersey. "She always modeled what she wanted us to be with a great sense of sincerity because that's what teaching is about— loyalty, integrity, and honor."
Each winner receives one of five $1,000 school grants.
"We received so many wonderful essays that showed how educators can have a profound and lasting impact on their students," said Bob Page, president of Zaner-Bloser.
Teachers, principals, and administrators across the country in grades K–12 were eligible to write and submit an original essay for the contest. The essays were judged on originality, inspiration, and style.
"With so many excellent entries, judging was a difficult process," said Page. "We want to thank all those who participated in the contest and to congratulate the winners whose essays were chosen. We felt they most effectively conveyed the power of educators to truly inspire their students."
The winning essays can be viewed at http://www.whichteacherinspiredyourfuturecontest.com/
The five contest winners include:
- Gary Bettinger, Sumter, South Carolina—"You Gotta Have Heart"—In sixth grade, Gary's teacher, Edward Sleefe, weaved his educational magic with stories and tales that engaged the whole class with learning. Mr. Sleefe brought far away cultures closer to home for his students and made the "space race" a real part of the classroom. His teachings showed the class what the future could be, which motivated Gary to become an educator who could pass along the same heartwarming efforts to new students.
- Lucinda Fleming, DeGraff, Ohio—"Fan of Underdogs"—Lucinda was influenced by her high school assistant principal, Patt Houk, who had a soft spot for underdogs and students who were not stars in athletics or academics, including Lucinda. Mrs. Houk's support encouraged Lucinda to do her best in school and made her feel special. Those teachings influenced Lucinda to become a teacher so she could support the underdogs.
- Lindsay Foster, Fort Worth, Texas—"Passion for Learning"—Lindsay gained an extensive vocabulary, an ability to think critically, and a passion for learning from her middle school English teacher, Veronica Juel. Because of Mrs. Juel, who rewarded students' achievements with sweet treats and dinners at her home, Lindsay realized that a teacher could be more to a student than just an educator. Lindsay learned that educators could become a lifelong influence for students—and this energized her to seek a career in teaching.
- Lydia Gilbert, Bogota, New Jersey—"Legacy of Inspiration"—Lydia's favorite teacher, Shelia VerNoy, poured the same dedication and enthusiasm into teaching English and directing school plays as she did about teaching life's lessons. In Lydia's senior year, VerNoy was diagnosed with cancer. However, she continued to teach and direct—showing dedication, strength, and courage to her students. This was Lydia's inspiration for following the path to becoming a teacher and school counselor.
- Maria Rodriguez, Miami, Florida—"Touching Students' Lives"—At 12 years old, Maria was a straight-A student when she arrived in Florida from Cuba, but she was immediately frustrated with school because she didn't speak English. However, Maria's English teacher, Herminia Miranda, offered constant reinforcement and spent extra time teaching her a new language. In one year, Maria passed the English-speaking test, inspiring her to become an educator so she could help students achieve goals that seem impossible.
Zaner-Bloser, a wholly owned subsidiary of Highlights for Children celebrating 125 years of experience in education this year, is an educational curricula and digital resources provider in language arts/literacy, 21st century learning, and social-emotional learning. Zaner-Bloser provides flexible solutions and services that improve results and inspire students to become lifelong learners and is committed to meeting schools' needs today—and in the future.
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,426
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Aug. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,818
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 381
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,527
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,787
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,830
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,342
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Aug. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,427
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 379
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,078
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 24, 2016 10:48 AM EDT Reads: 343
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Aug. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,788
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 450
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 24, 2016 10:19 AM EDT Reads: 308
As the world moves toward more DevOps and Microservices, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. The Microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, NetFlix and so on, is at the heart of Cloud Foundry - a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) that is IaaS agnostic and supports vCloud, OpenStack and AWS. Serverless computing is revolutionizing computing. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Raghav...
Aug. 24, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 445