|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 02:07 PM EST||
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett's 2014-15 budget proposal contains strategic investments in JOBS1st PA to create family-sustaining jobs for Pennsylvanians; calling for investments to bring jobs back to Pennsylvania and aligning education and workforce development with current job opportunities.
JOBS1st PA, which was first launched in 2012, has created a comprehensive roadmap to economic recovery that harnessed the state's resources and talents to prioritize private-sector job creation and retention. Today, Pennsylvania's unemployment rate stands at a five-year low and jobs have been growing on a consistent basis for nearly four years.
"Pennsylvanians are finding jobs again – in Pennsylvania. Better still, economists say conditions are right for more job growth this coming year and well beyond. The PEW Research Center estimates that number to grow by another 76,000 this year alone."
Building upon JOBS1st PA's successes, this budget focuses on two core areas: Make It in PA to ensure the continued resurgence of Pennsylvania's manufacturing, life sciences and technology sectors, and Talented Workers to renew and strengthen our investment in job training opportunities for all Pennsylvanians with more being invested in Pennsylvanians through workforce training.
"Today our labor force is 6 million strong and growing. In three years, our commonwealth has added enough jobs to replace nearly all we lost in the downturn. At its peak, unemployment in our state was at 9.2 percent. Now it is at 6.9 percent, a five year low. That demonstrates progress," Corbett said.
The 2014-2015 "Make It in PA" investments include:
- Discovered in PA – Developed in PA – the budget provides continued funding of $9.9 million for the Discovered in PA – Developed in PA (D2PA) program, which moves ideas more quickly from the lab to the marketplace, and has assisted in retaining and creating more than 300 jobs. Last fiscal year, the D2PA program supported initiatives tied to growing the life sciences, advanced manufacturing, business incubators, and education, workforce and economic opportunity collaborations including the "Skill Up the Student Pipeline" initiative in the Lehigh Valley and the DISCOVER initiative in Elk and Cameron Counties.
- Joint Opportunity Business (JOB) Partnership Fund – the budget supports the JOB Partnership Fund, a private equity capital fund seeded with $10 million from the PA First program in the 2013-14 budget. The JOB Partnership Fund will provide an investment vehicle to channel private dollars into Pennsylvania projects that ordinarily would receive only grants and low-interest loans from the commonwealth. It leverages at least 9:1 with private capital, which will assist in attracting job creators to locate in Pennsylvania.
- Partnership for Regional Economic Performance (PREP) – the budget provides an increase of $500,000 to PREP which will support regional efforts in bringing jobs home to Pennsylvania. Nearly 43,000 jobs retained or created in 2013 through the efforts of PREP. Additional funds will enable PREP to target manufacturers that moved operations overseas and are looking to re-shore operations to Pennsylvania.
- World Trade PA – the budget increases funding by $600,000 for World Trade PA to expand promotion of Pennsylvania exports in key international markets and to attract foreign investment. Last fiscal year, the program facilitated more than $795 million in new export sales for Pennsylvania companies supporting 7,000 jobs and more than $74.8 million in Foreign Direct Investment supporting almost 1,000 jobs.
- Marketing to Attract Tourists – the budget directs an additional $1.25 million to the Pennsylvania Office of Travel, Tourism and Film to bolster statewide travel, tourism and film-related economic development. Travel and tourism related economic activity supported 470,953 total jobs, both directly and indirectly, representing 6.5 percent of the state's total employment.
- Marketing to Attract Business – the budget increases funding for Pennsylvania's ability to market itself through a $1.1 million increase to the Marketing to Attract Business program. Additional funding will build on current efforts to develop an actionable, cohesive, results-oriented public relations campaign that highlights why Pennsylvania is built to advance.
The 2014-2015 "Talented Workers" investments include:
- Pennsylvania First and WEDnetPA –the budget increase to Pennsylvania First includes a $2 million increase to the WEDnetPA Job Training program to train an additional 10,000 employees and a $3 million increase to the base program. Total funding for PA First is $42.5 million in 2014-15. WEDnetPA has supported training of more than 175,000 employees since PA First was created.
- Partnerships for Regional Economic Performance (PREP) and Local Workforce Investment Boards (LWIB) – A collaboration between L&I and DCED, this is a developing program to increase coordination between economic development and workforce development at a regional level. This budget will make $2 million in re-employment funds available to PREP regions and LWIBs if specific conditions for funding are met. This budget will create a means for local areas and local employers to determine what works best in their areas for training and development.
- Pennsylvania Targeted Industry Program (PA TIP) - To close the skills gap, the PA TIP provides financial aid grants to meet workforce needs, this budget increases this investment from $5 million to $6 million. To date, grants have been awarded to more than 1,200 students – including veterans – enrolled in certification programs in high-demand industries such as energy, advanced materials and diversified manufacturing, and agriculture and food production.
- Jobs for All – the budget creates on-the-job-training reimbursement program, as a direct financial incentive to promote the hiring of young people with disabilities. The first phase of this initiative will help employers successfully hire up to 1,000 young people with disabilities. Also, $1 million in new state funds will allow for the drawdown of an additional $3.8 million in available federal funds, allowing the Department of Labor & Industry's Office of Vocational Rehabilitation to serve more people with disabilities seeking employment.
- EARLY Reach - to help youth with disabilities better prepare for their transition into the world of work and independence, EARLY Reach coordinators are assigned to each of the 15 Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (BVRS) district offices to connect earlier with youth with disabilities, their parents, schools and other community agencies. Earlier connection means more knowledge about OVR services that will help with decisions, expectations and success. This budget prioritizes state dollars to help as many young people with disabilities and their families prepare for a successful future after secondary school.
- JobGateway – JOBS1st PA will continue to connect job seekers and employers through JobGatewaySM. JobGatewaySM is a free, user-friendly job matching website that helps Pennsylvanians looking for work find opportunities from tens of thousands of real-time postings, find training for positions they have interest in and find out what industries are hiring in their region. To continue to meet the needs of Pennsylvania's job seekers, the system will be expanded to include online training programs, such as decision-making/critical thinking courses, and a self-directed skills assessment to help identify potential occupations or skill deficiencies.
For more information on the Governor's 2014-15 Executive Budget, visit www.pa.gov.
Valerie Caras, Governor's Office, 717-783-1116
Steve Kratz, DCED, 783-1132
Sara Goulet, L&I, 787-7530
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to m...
Mar. 28, 2017 10:21 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 28, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,497
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 28, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,479
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,202
SYS-CON Events announced today that SD Times | BZ Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and commercial UAV markets.
Mar. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,391
Historically, some banking activities such as trading have been relying heavily on analytics and cutting edge algorithmic tools. The coming of age of powerful data analytics solutions combined with the development of intelligent algorithms have created new opportunities for financial institutions. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sebastien Meunier, Head of Digital for North America at Chappuis Halder & Co., will discuss how these tools can be leveraged to develop a lasting competitive advanta...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,821
Building custom add-ons does not need to be limited to the ideas you see on a marketplace. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sukhbir Dhillon, CEO and founder of Addteq, will go over some adventures they faced in developing integrations using Atlassian SDK and other technologies/platforms and how it has enabled development teams to experiment with newer paradigms like Serverless and newer features of Atlassian SDKs. In this presentation, you will be taken on a journey of Add-On and Integration ...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,217
Now that the world has connected “things,” we need to build these devices as truly intelligent in order to create instantaneous and precise results. This means you have to do as much of the processing at the point of entry as you can: at the edge. The killer use cases for IoT are becoming manifest through AI engines on edge devices. An autonomous car has this dual edge/cloud analytics model, producing precise, real-time results. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Crupi, Vice President and Eng...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,046
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,159
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,419
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,923
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,313
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,996
After more than five years of DevOps, definitions are evolving, boundaries are expanding, ‘unicorns’ are no longer rare, enterprises are on board, and pundits are moving on. Can we now look at an evolution of DevOps? Should we? Is the foundation of DevOps ‘done’, or is there still too much left to do? What is mature, and what is still missing? What does the next 5 years of DevOps look like? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by DevOps Summit Conference Chair Andi Mann, panelists l...
Mar. 28, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 9,899
In their Live Hack” presentation at 17th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty and Paul Fletcher, Chief Security Evangelists at Alert Logic, provided the audience with a chance to see a live demonstration of the common tools cyber attackers use to attack cloud and traditional IT systems. This “Live Hack” used open source attack tools that are free and available for download by anybody. Attendees learned where to find and how to operate these tools for the purpose of testing their own IT infrastructure. The...
Mar. 28, 2017 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 7,498