|By PR Newswire||
|February 5, 2014 12:00 AM EST||
C40 cities deliver on climate action, nearly doubling reported activities compared to 2011 and proving C40's collaborative, global model is working
JOHANNESBURG, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) released landmark research today demonstrating a clear trend of expanding and accelerating climate action in the world's megacities. Climate actions, such as implementing rigorous energy efficiency regulations for buildings, instituting bus rapid transit lines or flood mapping efforts, aim to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions and improve urban resilience to climate change.
"Mayors have real power to cut emissions and improve climate resilience, and they are taking action," said C40 Chair, Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes. "C40's networks and efforts on measurement and reporting are accelerating city-led action at a transformative scale around the world."
The report, Climate Action in Megacities Volume 2.0 (CAM 2.0), was developed in partnership with consultancy firm Arup and released today at the C40 Mayors Summit in Johannesburg. It clearly demonstrates that C40 cities are taking action, and are dedicated to working together in the fight against climate change. The research shows that across C40 cities, mayors hold the power to enact change – and this power is evidenced by widespread efforts across key sectors.
CAM 2.0 follows an initial report published in 2011, which provided an unprecedented benchmark of actions C40 Cities have taken, and an inventory of powers mayors hold over key climate protection sectors. Key findings of CAM 2.0 include:
- Reported action has nearly doubled since 2011, with cities now reporting more than 8,000 climate actions currently underway.
- 41% of actions are taking place at a transformative, citywide scale.
- 98% of reporting cities say climate change presents significant risks to their populations and infrastructure.
- C40's networks have successfully driven collaboration between cities and have led to massive scale-up of projects and programmes. For instance, there is a 500% increase in cities implementing bike-sharing schemes over just two years (6 in 2011 to 36 in 2013).
- Learning between cities is truly global. For example, the number of cities reporting BRT systems more than doubled between 2011 and 2013, with 13 forerunners in the global south and 16 successors largely in developed, western countries.
"C40's emphasis on measurement and reporting helps cities focus resources and spread the most effective solutions – and this report shows that our efforts are bringing powerful results. By using data to show what works – and what's possible – cities can inform the global conversation on climate change and contribute to aggressive national targets to reduce emissions," said Michael R. Bloomberg, philanthropist, 108th Mayor of New York City and President of the C40 Board.
"'Measurement for management' has been a key tenet of C40, and one that will remain central to C40's operations going forward," said Mark Watts, C40 Executive Director. "Our data will inform the strategic direction of C40 programmes and initiatives, and enable C40 cities to set targets, evaluate actions and access resources. This ability to target our efforts is critical, given the urgent need to reduce emissions and climate risks."
Supporting the launch of the report, Arup's UKMEA Chair, Alan Belfield, said, "The CAM 2.0 report stands as a testament to the tremendous work already being carried out by mayors and city authorities around the globe to tackle climate change and boost resilience. Not only that, but it also provides a readily accessible menu of actions that cities can take to improve peoples' lives and deliver value for money at the same time."
Top findings from key sectors include:
Adaptation & Water
- Cities are taking climate adaptation seriously – 98% of cities recognize it as a threat that presents significant risk, and they are allocating funding (80% of cities) and staff resources (83% of cities) to develop solutions.
- 89% and 77% of reporting cities have power to act on Adaptation and Water, respectively.
- 90% of responding cities are taking action on outdoor lighting to reduce emissions from streetlights and to introduce smart street lighting technology.
- Of the total actions addressing energy efficiency in buildings, 69% of actions focused on reducing energy demands in buildings, including insulation and monitoring energy usage.
- 84% and 88% of reporting cities have power to act on buildings and outdoor lighting, respectively.
- Waste-to-Energy is a cross-sector success with cities reporting the highest proportion (64%) of transformative and significant actions, including capturing methane gas at landfills and generating low carbon energy through anaerobic digestion at waste treatment facilities.
- One-third of energy supply actions planned for future expansion will focus on generating energy from waste.
- 49% of reporting cities have power over energy supply assets.
Finance & Economic Development
- 47% of cities have established their own funds to invest in energy efficiency, renewable energy or carbon reduction projects.
- Over 50% of all planned actions are already in the pilot stage, suggesting strong innovation and scaling potential.
- 70% of reporting cities have power over to act in the Finance & Economy sector.
- C40 cities are implementing more than 350 actions on sustainable community development, with a trend towards more transformative or significant actions, rather than pilots or proposed actions.
- 76% of cities intend to expand a community-scale development action already in progress, showing that cities are accelerating their response to climate change.
- 58% and 25% of reporting cities have power to act in the Food & Agriculture and Information & Communication Technology, sectors, respectively.
- The greatest increase in reported actions was found in the Transport sector, with 150% increase in actions compared to 2011.
- Cities are taking 1,534 actions in transport, 873 of which are in private transport, 661 on mass transit.
- 49% of reported actions are to promote walking and cycling – more than any other action area in private transport.
- 88% of reporting cities have power to act on transport.
- 65% of actions in waste reduction are in the transformative stage and are being delivered citywide.
- 92% of cities taking action on landfill management are implementing landfill gas management/gas to energy.
- 82% of reporting cities have power to act on waste.
The 63 C40 Cities represent 600 million people worldwide, 5% of global greenhouse gas emissions and 21% of GDP. At the Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, C40 announced that member cities' existing actions will reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions by 248 million tonnes by 2020; and that the potential reduction could be over 1 billion tonnes by 2030.
About C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40)
The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) is a network of large and engaged cities from around the world committed to implementing meaningful and sustainable climate-related actions locally that will help address climate change globally. C40 was established in 2005 and expanded via a partnership in 2006 with President William J. Clinton's Climate Initiative (CCI). The current chair of the C40 is Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes; the 108th Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the Board. To learn more about the work of C40 and our Cities, please visit www.c40.org, follow us on Twitter @c40cities and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/C40Cities.
Arup was appointed as the strategic adviser to the C40 in May 2009 and has a long track record in working with cities across the world to tackle the issues of climate change in the urban environment. Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects in the built environment. From 90 offices in 35 countries our 10,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants deliver innovative projects across the world with creativity and passion. For more information on Arup, please visit www.arup.com and follow us on Twitter @ArupGroup.
SOURCE C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,794
Creating replica copies to tolerate a certain number of failures is easy, but very expensive at cloud-scale. Conventional RAID has lower overhead, but it is limited in the number of failures it can tolerate. And the management is like herding cats (overseeing capacity, rebuilds, migrations, and degraded performance). Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing for the HGST Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, discusse...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,415
Whether they’re located in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment, cloud technologies are constantly evolving. While the innovation is exciting, the end mission of delivering business value and rapidly producing incremental product features is paramount. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Kiran Chitturi, CTO Architect at Sungard AS, will discuss DevOps culture, its evolution of frameworks and technologies, and how it is achieving maturity. He will also cover various st...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,850
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,461
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of So...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,478
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 334
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,302
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,133
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,862
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,737
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,309
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,922
We’ve been doing it for years, decades for some. How many websites have you created accounts on? Your bank, your credit card companies, social media sites, hotels and travel sites, online shopping sites, and that’s just the start. We do it often without even thinking about it, quickly entering our personal information, our data, in a plethora of systems. Sometimes we’re not even aware of the information we are providing. It could be very personal information (think of the security questions you ...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,773
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,419
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:57 PM EDT Reads: 238