|By PR Newswire||
|February 5, 2014 12:00 AM EST||
C40 cities deliver on climate action, nearly doubling reported activities compared to 2011 and proving C40's collaborative, global model is working
JOHANNESBURG, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) released landmark research today demonstrating a clear trend of expanding and accelerating climate action in the world's megacities. Climate actions, such as implementing rigorous energy efficiency regulations for buildings, instituting bus rapid transit lines or flood mapping efforts, aim to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions and improve urban resilience to climate change.
"Mayors have real power to cut emissions and improve climate resilience, and they are taking action," said C40 Chair, Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes. "C40's networks and efforts on measurement and reporting are accelerating city-led action at a transformative scale around the world."
The report, Climate Action in Megacities Volume 2.0 (CAM 2.0), was developed in partnership with consultancy firm Arup and released today at the C40 Mayors Summit in Johannesburg. It clearly demonstrates that C40 cities are taking action, and are dedicated to working together in the fight against climate change. The research shows that across C40 cities, mayors hold the power to enact change – and this power is evidenced by widespread efforts across key sectors.
CAM 2.0 follows an initial report published in 2011, which provided an unprecedented benchmark of actions C40 Cities have taken, and an inventory of powers mayors hold over key climate protection sectors. Key findings of CAM 2.0 include:
- Reported action has nearly doubled since 2011, with cities now reporting more than 8,000 climate actions currently underway.
- 41% of actions are taking place at a transformative, citywide scale.
- 98% of reporting cities say climate change presents significant risks to their populations and infrastructure.
- C40's networks have successfully driven collaboration between cities and have led to massive scale-up of projects and programmes. For instance, there is a 500% increase in cities implementing bike-sharing schemes over just two years (6 in 2011 to 36 in 2013).
- Learning between cities is truly global. For example, the number of cities reporting BRT systems more than doubled between 2011 and 2013, with 13 forerunners in the global south and 16 successors largely in developed, western countries.
"C40's emphasis on measurement and reporting helps cities focus resources and spread the most effective solutions – and this report shows that our efforts are bringing powerful results. By using data to show what works – and what's possible – cities can inform the global conversation on climate change and contribute to aggressive national targets to reduce emissions," said Michael R. Bloomberg, philanthropist, 108th Mayor of New York City and President of the C40 Board.
"'Measurement for management' has been a key tenet of C40, and one that will remain central to C40's operations going forward," said Mark Watts, C40 Executive Director. "Our data will inform the strategic direction of C40 programmes and initiatives, and enable C40 cities to set targets, evaluate actions and access resources. This ability to target our efforts is critical, given the urgent need to reduce emissions and climate risks."
Supporting the launch of the report, Arup's UKMEA Chair, Alan Belfield, said, "The CAM 2.0 report stands as a testament to the tremendous work already being carried out by mayors and city authorities around the globe to tackle climate change and boost resilience. Not only that, but it also provides a readily accessible menu of actions that cities can take to improve peoples' lives and deliver value for money at the same time."
Top findings from key sectors include:
Adaptation & Water
- Cities are taking climate adaptation seriously – 98% of cities recognize it as a threat that presents significant risk, and they are allocating funding (80% of cities) and staff resources (83% of cities) to develop solutions.
- 89% and 77% of reporting cities have power to act on Adaptation and Water, respectively.
- 90% of responding cities are taking action on outdoor lighting to reduce emissions from streetlights and to introduce smart street lighting technology.
- Of the total actions addressing energy efficiency in buildings, 69% of actions focused on reducing energy demands in buildings, including insulation and monitoring energy usage.
- 84% and 88% of reporting cities have power to act on buildings and outdoor lighting, respectively.
- Waste-to-Energy is a cross-sector success with cities reporting the highest proportion (64%) of transformative and significant actions, including capturing methane gas at landfills and generating low carbon energy through anaerobic digestion at waste treatment facilities.
- One-third of energy supply actions planned for future expansion will focus on generating energy from waste.
- 49% of reporting cities have power over energy supply assets.
Finance & Economic Development
- 47% of cities have established their own funds to invest in energy efficiency, renewable energy or carbon reduction projects.
- Over 50% of all planned actions are already in the pilot stage, suggesting strong innovation and scaling potential.
- 70% of reporting cities have power over to act in the Finance & Economy sector.
- C40 cities are implementing more than 350 actions on sustainable community development, with a trend towards more transformative or significant actions, rather than pilots or proposed actions.
- 76% of cities intend to expand a community-scale development action already in progress, showing that cities are accelerating their response to climate change.
- 58% and 25% of reporting cities have power to act in the Food & Agriculture and Information & Communication Technology, sectors, respectively.
- The greatest increase in reported actions was found in the Transport sector, with 150% increase in actions compared to 2011.
- Cities are taking 1,534 actions in transport, 873 of which are in private transport, 661 on mass transit.
- 49% of reported actions are to promote walking and cycling – more than any other action area in private transport.
- 88% of reporting cities have power to act on transport.
- 65% of actions in waste reduction are in the transformative stage and are being delivered citywide.
- 92% of cities taking action on landfill management are implementing landfill gas management/gas to energy.
- 82% of reporting cities have power to act on waste.
The 63 C40 Cities represent 600 million people worldwide, 5% of global greenhouse gas emissions and 21% of GDP. At the Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, C40 announced that member cities' existing actions will reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions by 248 million tonnes by 2020; and that the potential reduction could be over 1 billion tonnes by 2030.
About C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40)
The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) is a network of large and engaged cities from around the world committed to implementing meaningful and sustainable climate-related actions locally that will help address climate change globally. C40 was established in 2005 and expanded via a partnership in 2006 with President William J. Clinton's Climate Initiative (CCI). The current chair of the C40 is Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes; the 108th Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the Board. To learn more about the work of C40 and our Cities, please visit www.c40.org, follow us on Twitter @c40cities and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/C40Cities.
Arup was appointed as the strategic adviser to the C40 in May 2009 and has a long track record in working with cities across the world to tackle the issues of climate change in the urban environment. Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects in the built environment. From 90 offices in 35 countries our 10,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants deliver innovative projects across the world with creativity and passion. For more information on Arup, please visit www.arup.com and follow us on Twitter @ArupGroup.
SOURCE C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 933
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,895
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,924
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 409
“Being the one true cloud-agnostic and storage-agnostic software solution, more and more customers are coming to Commvault and saying ' What do you recommend? What's your best practice for implementing cloud?” explained Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist at Commvault, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,663
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,813
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Jul. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 863
As companies gain momentum, the need to maintain high quality products can outstrip their development team’s bandwidth for QA. Building out a large QA team (whether in-house or outsourced) can slow down development and significantly increases costs. This eBook takes QA profiles from 5 companies who successfully scaled up production without building a large QA team and includes: What to consider when choosing CI/CD tools How culture and communication can make or break implementation
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,574
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 898
UpGuard has become a member of the Center for Internet Security (CIS), and will continue to help businesses expand visibility into their cyber risk by providing hardening benchmarks to all customers. By incorporating these benchmarks, UpGuard's CSTAR solution builds on its lead in providing the most complete assessment of both internal and external cyber risk. CIS benchmarks are a widely accepted set of hardening guidelines that have been publicly available for years. Numerous solutions exist t...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:53 AM EDT Reads: 325
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,938
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 294
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,865
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 985
Cloud analytics is dramatically altering business intelligence. Some businesses will capitalize on these promising new technologies and gain key insights that’ll help them gain competitive advantage. And others won’t. Whether you’re a business leader, an IT manager, or an analyst, we want to help you and the people you need to influence with a free copy of “Cloud Analytics for Dummies,” the essential guide to this explosive new space for business intelligence.
Jul. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 711