|By Marketwired .||
|February 6, 2014 12:38 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 02/06/14 --
Did you know?
There are many tax implications after a death has occurred.
Important facts Here are a few things to keep in mind when dealing with someone's taxes after they have passed away.
- File a final return - A final return must always be filed after a death. The legal representative of the deceased must report all of the deceased's income from January 1 of the year of death up to and including the date of death. Report income earned after the date of death on a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return. Also be sure to note the due date for the final return.
- Consult the CRA's Chart 1 - Returns for the year of death - This chart lists all types of income, deductions, and credits and tells you what type of return each can (or must) be reported or claimed on.
- Report the deceased's income on optional returns - Claiming certain amounts more than once, splitting them between returns, or claiming them against specific kinds of income may reduce or eliminate some of the deceased's taxes.
- Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) - Sometimes, the deceased will receive a GST/HST credit payment after the date of death because the CRA was not aware of the death. In this case, you should return the payment to the tax centre that serves your area and give us the date of death so we can update our records.
- Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) and Universal child care benefit (UCCB) - If a CCTB recipient dies, the next of kin or the estate should inform us in writing. Someone else may be eligible to get benefits for the child. Send a letter to the tax centre that serves your area. If the deceased is an eligible child, your entitlement to CCTB and UCCB payments stops the month after the child's date of death. Use "End care of child" on My Account or call 1-800-387-1193 so that we can update our records.
- Deemed disposition of property - The tax treatment of capital property can be complex. Consult our website or call us at 1-800-959-8281 if you need more information.
Information for legal representatives
- Are you a legal representative? - You are a legal representative of a deceased person if you are named executor in the will, you are appointed as the administrator of the estate by a court, or you are the liquidator for an estate in Quebec.
- Clearance certificate - As a legal representative, you may want to get a clearance certificate before you distribute any property under your control. A clearance certificate certifies that all the amounts the deceased owed to the CRA have been paid, or that we have accepted security for the payment.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,759
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,132
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,063
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,959
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,815
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,993
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,338
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,772
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 27, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 734
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,092
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 729
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,576
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,883
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Aug. 27, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,632
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 581