|By Business Wire||
|February 6, 2014 09:15 PM EST||
Redfin (www.redfin.com), the technology-powered real estate brokerage, today released an entertaining list of Five Ways to Lose Your Mate Over Real Estate, including ten things to not do when shopping for a home with your significant other. The list is broken down into five things men should avoid and five things women should avoid when starting the homebuying process with a partner. Just in time for Valentine's Day, the list was compiled by Redfin agents across the nation and is based upon their own experiences helping thousands of couples find their future homes. Here is the complete list:
For the Guys, How to Lose Your Gal:
1. Casually mention you’re not ready to buy a home yet because you have a hard time committing to anything long-term.
2. Tell your Redfin agent, in front of your special lady, that you don’t need that extra room for kids because you don’t plan on having any, just FYI.
3. Make all home purchasing decisions based on what your bros will think. Man cave? Phssst…man floor!
4. Insist on custom shelving units for your action figure collection. Yes you do need all 100 Darth Vader models.
5. Announce very firmly that you are repainting the walls of your new home the colors of your college football team. Interior and exterior.
Hey Ladies, Don’t Try this at Home:
1. After your first date, set up Instant Updates on Redfin to notify him about your favorite homes listed at a minimum of one. million. dollars.
2. For your second date night, he suggests his favorite Italian restaurant. You decide instead to take him on a home tour. No biggie.
3. While watching a movie at his place, he asks what you are tinkering with. Your response: “Oh just baby-proofing your apartment since there aren’t that many homes for sale and my biological clock is a tickin’!”
4. Insist on bringing your Mom on all home tours, and together veto all of his opinions.
5. Tell him you need a second master suite for when your parents move in. Maybe a direct intercom too, since your Dad is a little hard of hearing.
Relationship Expert Andrea Syrtash, co-host of the “Life Story Project” on OWN, and author of several books including “He’s Just Not Your Type, (And That’s a Good Thing),” also offers some proactive advice on things to take into consideration when shopping for a home with a significant other:
- Do know when it’s time to buy a place together. Like any big step, this should be communicated and not assumed!
- Do figure out your neighborhood deal breakers and make sure they aren’t relationship deal breakers. Can’t stand having to drive somewhere for a cup of coffee? Need extreme quiet and access to nature? In a relationship, your values should be aligned so you’re both happy at home.
- Do compromise. Once you settle on a desirable area, you’re each going to have your own idea of what you want the home to have. A tool shed! An extra large walk-in closet! (Or is that just me?!) You’re also partners, so find a way to meet in the middle. The rule in a relationship is that if it really matters to one, it matters.
- Do use technology to connect. If one of you can’t go to an open house because of scheduling issues, enable Skype video chat on your smartphone or tablet so you can explore a prospective new home together. Just because you both can’t physically be there, it doesn’t mean you can’t share the experience.
Redfin real estate agents have seen what can go wrong when couples don’t follow this advice, from a couple who broke up on a home tour, to a nasty divorce argument that took place during a consultation. It’s important for all couples to discuss these issues long before starting their home search. For the full post and images, visit the Redfin Blog.
Connect with Redfin
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered real estate broker that represents people buying and selling homes. Founded and run by technologists, Redfin has a team of experienced, full-service real estate agents who are advocates, not sales-people, earning customer-satisfaction bonuses, not commissions. Redfin.com features all the broker-listed homes for sale, as well as for-sale-by-owner properties that don't pay brokers a commission. Redfin also offers online tools that make the entire process of buying or selling a home easier and more fun. The company serves 22 U.S. markets and has closed more than $13 billion in home sales. In 2012, Redfin was named one of The DIGITAL 100: World's Most Valuable Private Tech Companies by Business Insider.
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 956
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, S...
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,014
With SaaS use rampant across organizations, how can IT departments track company data and maintain security? More and more departments are commissioning their own solutions and bypassing IT. A cloud environment is amorphous and powerful, allowing you to set up solutions for all of your user needs: document sharing and collaboration, mobile access, e-mail, even industry-specific applications. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Shawn Mills, President and a founder of Green House Data, discussed h...
Jul. 27, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 173
Delphix, the market leader in Data as a Service (DaaS), has been announced winner of the DevOps Solution Award at the prestigious Computing Vendor Excellence Awards in London. The awards celebrate the achievements of the technology vendors and service providers that are leading the field of enterprise IT. Delphix was recognised as the vendor demonstrating the most effective support of DevOps culture for its ability to improve time to market and collaboration between teams.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 252
"Our biggest growth area has been the security services, the managed services - the things that differentiate us in the market that there is no client that's too small and there's no client that's too big," explained Paul Mazzucco, Chief Security Officer at TierPoint, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 302
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 328
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 514
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,328
Sysdig has announced two significant milestones in its mission to bring infrastructure and application monitoring to the world of containers and microservices: a $10.7 million Series A funding led by Accel and Bain Capital Ventures (BCV); and the general availability of Sysdig Cloud, the first monitoring, alerting, and troubleshooting platform specializing in container visibility, which is already used by more than 30 enterprise customers. The funding will be used to drive adoption of Sysdig Clo...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 398
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 426
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,220
"We do data integration for B2B also application to application, and we do data management and enable Big Data," explained Pat Adamiak, Vice President, Product Marketing at Liaison Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 296
"We specialize in testing. DevOps is all about continuous delivery and accelerating the delivery pipeline and there is no continuous delivery without testing," noted Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect at Spirent Communications, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 315
How do you securely enable access to your applications in AWS without exposing any attack surfaces? The answer is usually very complicated because application environments morph over time in response to growing requirements from your employee base, your partners and your customers. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Haseeb Budhani, CEO and Co-founder of Soha, shared five common approaches that DevOps teams follow to secure access to applications deployed in AWS, Azure, etc., and the friction an...
Jul. 27, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 437
Digital Transformation is the ultimate goal of cloud computing and related initiatives. The phrase is certainly not a precise one, and as subject to hand-waving and distortion as any high-falutin' terminology in the world of information technology. Yet it is an excellent choice of words to describe what enterprise IT—and by extension, organizations in general—should be working to achieve. Digital Transformation means: handling all the data types being found and created in the organizat...
Jul. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,032