|By Business Wire||
|February 6, 2014 09:15 PM EST||
Redfin (www.redfin.com), the technology-powered real estate brokerage, today released an entertaining list of Five Ways to Lose Your Mate Over Real Estate, including ten things to not do when shopping for a home with your significant other. The list is broken down into five things men should avoid and five things women should avoid when starting the homebuying process with a partner. Just in time for Valentine's Day, the list was compiled by Redfin agents across the nation and is based upon their own experiences helping thousands of couples find their future homes. Here is the complete list:
For the Guys, How to Lose Your Gal:
1. Casually mention you’re not ready to buy a home yet because you have a hard time committing to anything long-term.
2. Tell your Redfin agent, in front of your special lady, that you don’t need that extra room for kids because you don’t plan on having any, just FYI.
3. Make all home purchasing decisions based on what your bros will think. Man cave? Phssst…man floor!
4. Insist on custom shelving units for your action figure collection. Yes you do need all 100 Darth Vader models.
5. Announce very firmly that you are repainting the walls of your new home the colors of your college football team. Interior and exterior.
Hey Ladies, Don’t Try this at Home:
1. After your first date, set up Instant Updates on Redfin to notify him about your favorite homes listed at a minimum of one. million. dollars.
2. For your second date night, he suggests his favorite Italian restaurant. You decide instead to take him on a home tour. No biggie.
3. While watching a movie at his place, he asks what you are tinkering with. Your response: “Oh just baby-proofing your apartment since there aren’t that many homes for sale and my biological clock is a tickin’!”
4. Insist on bringing your Mom on all home tours, and together veto all of his opinions.
5. Tell him you need a second master suite for when your parents move in. Maybe a direct intercom too, since your Dad is a little hard of hearing.
Relationship Expert Andrea Syrtash, co-host of the “Life Story Project” on OWN, and author of several books including “He’s Just Not Your Type, (And That’s a Good Thing),” also offers some proactive advice on things to take into consideration when shopping for a home with a significant other:
- Do know when it’s time to buy a place together. Like any big step, this should be communicated and not assumed!
- Do figure out your neighborhood deal breakers and make sure they aren’t relationship deal breakers. Can’t stand having to drive somewhere for a cup of coffee? Need extreme quiet and access to nature? In a relationship, your values should be aligned so you’re both happy at home.
- Do compromise. Once you settle on a desirable area, you’re each going to have your own idea of what you want the home to have. A tool shed! An extra large walk-in closet! (Or is that just me?!) You’re also partners, so find a way to meet in the middle. The rule in a relationship is that if it really matters to one, it matters.
- Do use technology to connect. If one of you can’t go to an open house because of scheduling issues, enable Skype video chat on your smartphone or tablet so you can explore a prospective new home together. Just because you both can’t physically be there, it doesn’t mean you can’t share the experience.
Redfin real estate agents have seen what can go wrong when couples don’t follow this advice, from a couple who broke up on a home tour, to a nasty divorce argument that took place during a consultation. It’s important for all couples to discuss these issues long before starting their home search. For the full post and images, visit the Redfin Blog.
Connect with Redfin
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered real estate broker that represents people buying and selling homes. Founded and run by technologists, Redfin has a team of experienced, full-service real estate agents who are advocates, not sales-people, earning customer-satisfaction bonuses, not commissions. Redfin.com features all the broker-listed homes for sale, as well as for-sale-by-owner properties that don't pay brokers a commission. Redfin also offers online tools that make the entire process of buying or selling a home easier and more fun. The company serves 22 U.S. markets and has closed more than $13 billion in home sales. In 2012, Redfin was named one of The DIGITAL 100: World's Most Valuable Private Tech Companies by Business Insider.
"IoT is going to be a huge industry with a lot of value for end users, for industries, for consumers, for manufacturers. How can we use cloud to effectively manage IoT applications," stated Ian Khan, Innovation & Marketing Manager at Solgeniakhela, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 4,300
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, drew together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established compa...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 934
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Dec. 7, 2016 02:24 PM EST Reads: 192
"Coalfire is a cyber-risk, security and compliance assessment and advisory services firm. We do a lot of work with the cloud service provider community," explained Ryan McGowan, Vice President, Sales (West) at Coalfire Systems, Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 946
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,188
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,106
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 7, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,374
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,102
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Dec. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 392
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,143
"We are a custom software development, engineering firm. We specialize in cloud applications from helping customers that have on-premise applications migrating to the cloud, to helping customers design brand new apps in the cloud. And we specialize in mobile apps," explained Peter Di Stefano, Vice President of Marketing at Impiger Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:24 PM EST Reads: 208
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,077
President Obama recently announced the launch of a new national awareness campaign to "encourage more Americans to move beyond passwords – adding an extra layer of security like a fingerprint or codes sent to your cellphone." The shift from single passwords to multi-factor authentication couldn’t be timelier or more strategic. This session will focus on why passwords alone are no longer effective, and why the time to act is now. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Chris Webber, security strateg...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:35 PM EST Reads: 255
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 842
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 619