|By Business Wire||
|February 6, 2014 09:15 PM EST||
Redfin (www.redfin.com), the technology-powered real estate brokerage, today released an entertaining list of Five Ways to Lose Your Mate Over Real Estate, including ten things to not do when shopping for a home with your significant other. The list is broken down into five things men should avoid and five things women should avoid when starting the homebuying process with a partner. Just in time for Valentine's Day, the list was compiled by Redfin agents across the nation and is based upon their own experiences helping thousands of couples find their future homes. Here is the complete list:
For the Guys, How to Lose Your Gal:
1. Casually mention you’re not ready to buy a home yet because you have a hard time committing to anything long-term.
2. Tell your Redfin agent, in front of your special lady, that you don’t need that extra room for kids because you don’t plan on having any, just FYI.
3. Make all home purchasing decisions based on what your bros will think. Man cave? Phssst…man floor!
4. Insist on custom shelving units for your action figure collection. Yes you do need all 100 Darth Vader models.
5. Announce very firmly that you are repainting the walls of your new home the colors of your college football team. Interior and exterior.
Hey Ladies, Don’t Try this at Home:
1. After your first date, set up Instant Updates on Redfin to notify him about your favorite homes listed at a minimum of one. million. dollars.
2. For your second date night, he suggests his favorite Italian restaurant. You decide instead to take him on a home tour. No biggie.
3. While watching a movie at his place, he asks what you are tinkering with. Your response: “Oh just baby-proofing your apartment since there aren’t that many homes for sale and my biological clock is a tickin’!”
4. Insist on bringing your Mom on all home tours, and together veto all of his opinions.
5. Tell him you need a second master suite for when your parents move in. Maybe a direct intercom too, since your Dad is a little hard of hearing.
Relationship Expert Andrea Syrtash, co-host of the “Life Story Project” on OWN, and author of several books including “He’s Just Not Your Type, (And That’s a Good Thing),” also offers some proactive advice on things to take into consideration when shopping for a home with a significant other:
- Do know when it’s time to buy a place together. Like any big step, this should be communicated and not assumed!
- Do figure out your neighborhood deal breakers and make sure they aren’t relationship deal breakers. Can’t stand having to drive somewhere for a cup of coffee? Need extreme quiet and access to nature? In a relationship, your values should be aligned so you’re both happy at home.
- Do compromise. Once you settle on a desirable area, you’re each going to have your own idea of what you want the home to have. A tool shed! An extra large walk-in closet! (Or is that just me?!) You’re also partners, so find a way to meet in the middle. The rule in a relationship is that if it really matters to one, it matters.
- Do use technology to connect. If one of you can’t go to an open house because of scheduling issues, enable Skype video chat on your smartphone or tablet so you can explore a prospective new home together. Just because you both can’t physically be there, it doesn’t mean you can’t share the experience.
Redfin real estate agents have seen what can go wrong when couples don’t follow this advice, from a couple who broke up on a home tour, to a nasty divorce argument that took place during a consultation. It’s important for all couples to discuss these issues long before starting their home search. For the full post and images, visit the Redfin Blog.
Connect with Redfin
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered real estate broker that represents people buying and selling homes. Founded and run by technologists, Redfin has a team of experienced, full-service real estate agents who are advocates, not sales-people, earning customer-satisfaction bonuses, not commissions. Redfin.com features all the broker-listed homes for sale, as well as for-sale-by-owner properties that don't pay brokers a commission. Redfin also offers online tools that make the entire process of buying or selling a home easier and more fun. The company serves 22 U.S. markets and has closed more than $13 billion in home sales. In 2012, Redfin was named one of The DIGITAL 100: World's Most Valuable Private Tech Companies by Business Insider.
Most people haven’t heard the word, “gamification,” even though they probably, and perhaps unwittingly, participate in it every day. Gamification is “the process of adding games or game-like elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation.” Further, gamification is about bringing game mechanics – rules, constructs, processes, and methods – into the real world in an effort to engage people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Endo, owner and engagement manager of Intrepid D...
Oct. 22, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 9,647
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 22, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,887
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Oct. 22, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,239
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 22, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,247
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 22, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,003
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Oct. 22, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,468
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 22, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 847
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 22, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,778
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 22, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 678
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 22, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,820
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 22, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 770
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 22, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 623
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 22, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 8,964
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 22, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 974