|By PR Newswire||
|February 8, 2014 09:00 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Former Massachusetts First Lady Kitty Dukakis will join Alcohol Justice, youth, adults, and community organizations that make up the Coalition to Ban Alcohol Ads on Public Property in Los Angeles (www.NoAlcoholAds.org) at a Los Angeles City Council Budget and Finance Committee hearing Monday, February 10, 2014, where a motion to draft an ordinance to prohibit alcohol ads on city-owned and controlled property will be heard. They will encourage passage of the motion introduced and supported by Council Member Paul Koretz. If passed, the City Council will then vote to require the City Attorney to write the actual language of the ordinance.
What: Budget and Finance Committee Hearing
When: Monday, February 10, 2014 2 p.m.
Where: Room 1010, Los Angeles City Hall, 200 North Spring St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
Who: Speakers Include:
- Paul Krekorian, Chair Budget and Finance Committee
- Mitchell Englander, Committee Member
- Paul Koretz, Committee Member
- Bob Blumenfield, Committee Member
- Mike Bonin, Committee Member
- Kitty Dukakis, former Massachusetts First Lady
- Jorge Castillo, Advocacy Director, Alcohol Justice
- Christine Lee,Youth Services Manager Koreatown Youth and Community Center, Inc.
- Sarah Blanch - Project Manager, Institute for Public Strategies
- Richard Zaldivar – founder, The Wall – Las Memorias Project
- Ruben Rodriguez, Executive Director, Pueblo y Salud, Inc.
- Janice Boafo - Program Operations Supervisor, Tarzana Treatment Center
- Terry Marquez, Chair, Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association, NW
- Jerry Grenard, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Community and Global Health, Claremont Graduate University
- Dennis Hathaway, President, Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- John O. Whitaker, Jr., CDS, CATC II, President, Paso Por Paso
- Kevin M. Key, Community Organizer, United Coalition East Prevention Project
- Lawmakers should work to ban alcohol advertising on property that government controls, including public transportation vehicles and street furniture and restrict alcohol advertising in out-of-home locations elsewhere as well
- Despite claims of economic necessity, revenue from alcohol ads comprises less than 1% of reporting agencies' operating revenue
- The City of Los Angeles, which has succeeded in getting alcohol ads off transit vehicles, should now finish the job by banning them from all public property to play a positive role in reducing exposure to alcohol ads to protect youth and reduce alcohol-related harm to all residents and visitors of the city
- Families and youth utilize city owned and controlled property on a daily basis, such as school buildings, recreation centers, libraries and bus shelters
- Last December, UCLA, Center for Alcohol Marketing to Youth, & Dr. Jonathan Fielding submitted clear and compelling evidence that alcohol advertising on city owned property encourages youth alcohol consumption which leads to harm
- The L.A. County Department of Public Health has recommended reducing alcohol advertising in public spaces and in areas commonly seen by minors as a way to help discourage underage drinking
"We are grateful to former Councilmember Alarcon and now Councilmember Koretz for their leadership on this important health and safety issue," stated Jorge Castillo, Advocacy Director at Alcohol Justice. "We look forward to swift passage of the motion and can almost see the day when resident, visitors and especially our youth are no longer assaulted by alcohol ads on L.A. city-owned property."
Coalition Members include:
- American Indian Movement – WEST
- Alcohol Justice
- Asian American Drug Abuse Program Inc.
- Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association
- Boyle Heights Coalition for a Safe & Drug Free Community
- California Hispanic Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- Community Coalition
- Institute for Public Strategies
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center
- Mexican History Foundation
- Mothers of East L.A. (MELA)
- Personal Involvement Center, Inc.
- P3 Partnership for a Positive Pomona
- Phoenix House
- Pillar of Fire Church
- Paso por Paso
- Pueblo y Salud
- Saving Lives Drug and Alcohol Coalition
- Sycamore Grove School
- Tarzana Treatment Centers & AWARE Coalition
- The Wall – Las Memorias Project
- United Coalition East Prevention Project
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union
- Women Against Gun Violence
- Writers In Treatment
- Michael & Kitty Dukakis, former Massachusetts Governor & First Lady
- Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council
- California Council on Alcohol Problems
- California Alliance for Retired Americans
- Center for Living and Learning
- County Alcohol and Drug Program Administrators' Association of California
- Crescenta Valley Drug & Alcohol Prevention Coalition
- Day One Pasadena
- Dr. J. Benjamin Hardwick
- Monsignor John Moretta
- NCADD East San Gabriel & Pomona Valleys
- Public Citizen
- Resurrection Church Neighborhood Watch – Los Angeles
- San Fernando Valley Partnership
- Venice Neighborhood Council
Michael Scippa 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo 213 840-3336
SOURCE Alcohol Justice
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 389
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 342
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 30, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 367
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 132
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 461
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 150
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of tech...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 217
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 30, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 185
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 281
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Aug. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 266
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 170
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 433
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 30, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 873
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 224
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 30, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 338