|By PR Newswire||
|February 8, 2014 09:00 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Former Massachusetts First Lady Kitty Dukakis will join Alcohol Justice, youth, adults, and community organizations that make up the Coalition to Ban Alcohol Ads on Public Property in Los Angeles (www.NoAlcoholAds.org) at a Los Angeles City Council Budget and Finance Committee hearing Monday, February 10, 2014, where a motion to draft an ordinance to prohibit alcohol ads on city-owned and controlled property will be heard. They will encourage passage of the motion introduced and supported by Council Member Paul Koretz. If passed, the City Council will then vote to require the City Attorney to write the actual language of the ordinance.
What: Budget and Finance Committee Hearing
When: Monday, February 10, 2014 2 p.m.
Where: Room 1010, Los Angeles City Hall, 200 North Spring St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
Who: Speakers Include:
- Paul Krekorian, Chair Budget and Finance Committee
- Mitchell Englander, Committee Member
- Paul Koretz, Committee Member
- Bob Blumenfield, Committee Member
- Mike Bonin, Committee Member
- Kitty Dukakis, former Massachusetts First Lady
- Jorge Castillo, Advocacy Director, Alcohol Justice
- Christine Lee,Youth Services Manager Koreatown Youth and Community Center, Inc.
- Sarah Blanch - Project Manager, Institute for Public Strategies
- Richard Zaldivar – founder, The Wall – Las Memorias Project
- Ruben Rodriguez, Executive Director, Pueblo y Salud, Inc.
- Janice Boafo - Program Operations Supervisor, Tarzana Treatment Center
- Terry Marquez, Chair, Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association, NW
- Jerry Grenard, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Community and Global Health, Claremont Graduate University
- Dennis Hathaway, President, Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- John O. Whitaker, Jr., CDS, CATC II, President, Paso Por Paso
- Kevin M. Key, Community Organizer, United Coalition East Prevention Project
- Lawmakers should work to ban alcohol advertising on property that government controls, including public transportation vehicles and street furniture and restrict alcohol advertising in out-of-home locations elsewhere as well
- Despite claims of economic necessity, revenue from alcohol ads comprises less than 1% of reporting agencies' operating revenue
- The City of Los Angeles, which has succeeded in getting alcohol ads off transit vehicles, should now finish the job by banning them from all public property to play a positive role in reducing exposure to alcohol ads to protect youth and reduce alcohol-related harm to all residents and visitors of the city
- Families and youth utilize city owned and controlled property on a daily basis, such as school buildings, recreation centers, libraries and bus shelters
- Last December, UCLA, Center for Alcohol Marketing to Youth, & Dr. Jonathan Fielding submitted clear and compelling evidence that alcohol advertising on city owned property encourages youth alcohol consumption which leads to harm
- The L.A. County Department of Public Health has recommended reducing alcohol advertising in public spaces and in areas commonly seen by minors as a way to help discourage underage drinking
"We are grateful to former Councilmember Alarcon and now Councilmember Koretz for their leadership on this important health and safety issue," stated Jorge Castillo, Advocacy Director at Alcohol Justice. "We look forward to swift passage of the motion and can almost see the day when resident, visitors and especially our youth are no longer assaulted by alcohol ads on L.A. city-owned property."
Coalition Members include:
- American Indian Movement – WEST
- Alcohol Justice
- Asian American Drug Abuse Program Inc.
- Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association
- Boyle Heights Coalition for a Safe & Drug Free Community
- California Hispanic Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- Community Coalition
- Institute for Public Strategies
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center
- Mexican History Foundation
- Mothers of East L.A. (MELA)
- Personal Involvement Center, Inc.
- P3 Partnership for a Positive Pomona
- Phoenix House
- Pillar of Fire Church
- Paso por Paso
- Pueblo y Salud
- Saving Lives Drug and Alcohol Coalition
- Sycamore Grove School
- Tarzana Treatment Centers & AWARE Coalition
- The Wall – Las Memorias Project
- United Coalition East Prevention Project
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union
- Women Against Gun Violence
- Writers In Treatment
- Michael & Kitty Dukakis, former Massachusetts Governor & First Lady
- Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council
- California Council on Alcohol Problems
- California Alliance for Retired Americans
- Center for Living and Learning
- County Alcohol and Drug Program Administrators' Association of California
- Crescenta Valley Drug & Alcohol Prevention Coalition
- Day One Pasadena
- Dr. J. Benjamin Hardwick
- Monsignor John Moretta
- NCADD East San Gabriel & Pomona Valleys
- Public Citizen
- Resurrection Church Neighborhood Watch – Los Angeles
- San Fernando Valley Partnership
- Venice Neighborhood Council
Michael Scippa 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo 213 840-3336
SOURCE Alcohol Justice
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Feb. 28, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 1,837
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 28, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 7,086
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Feb. 28, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 5,065
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 28, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 691
Ayehu provides IT Process Automation & Orchestration solutions for IT and Security professionals to identify and resolve critical incidents and enable rapid containment, eradication, and recovery from cyber security breaches. Ayehu provides customers greater control over IT infrastructure through automation. Ayehu solutions have been deployed by major enterprises worldwide, and currently, support thousands of IT processes across the globe. The company has offices in New York, California, and Isr...
Feb. 28, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 819
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 28, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 2,037
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Feb. 28, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 2,814
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Feb. 27, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 906
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Feb. 27, 2017 11:00 PM EST Reads: 9,164
Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said "No to LUNs." With Tintri they manage only virtual machines, in a fraction of the footprint and at far lower cost than conventional storage. Tintri offers the choice of all-flash or hybrid-flash platform, converged or stand-alone structure and any hypervisor. Rather than obsess with storage, leaders focus on the business app...
Feb. 27, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 742
Addteq is one of the top 10 Platinum Atlassian Experts who specialize in DevOps, custom and continuous integration, automation, plugin development, and consulting for midsize and global firms. Addteq firmly believes that automation is essential for successful software releases. Addteq centers its products and services around this fundamentally unique approach to delivering complete software release management solutions. With a combination of Addteq's services and our extensive list of partners,...
Feb. 27, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,303
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and sh...
Feb. 27, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 4,177
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Feb. 27, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 7,969
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 1,645
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Feb. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 7,387