|By PR Newswire||
|February 8, 2014 09:00 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Former Massachusetts First Lady Kitty Dukakis will join Alcohol Justice, youth, adults, and community organizations that make up the Coalition to Ban Alcohol Ads on Public Property in Los Angeles (www.NoAlcoholAds.org) at a Los Angeles City Council Budget and Finance Committee hearing Monday, February 10, 2014, where a motion to draft an ordinance to prohibit alcohol ads on city-owned and controlled property will be heard. They will encourage passage of the motion introduced and supported by Council Member Paul Koretz. If passed, the City Council will then vote to require the City Attorney to write the actual language of the ordinance.
What: Budget and Finance Committee Hearing
When: Monday, February 10, 2014 2 p.m.
Where: Room 1010, Los Angeles City Hall, 200 North Spring St., Los Angeles, CA 90012
Who: Speakers Include:
- Paul Krekorian, Chair Budget and Finance Committee
- Mitchell Englander, Committee Member
- Paul Koretz, Committee Member
- Bob Blumenfield, Committee Member
- Mike Bonin, Committee Member
- Kitty Dukakis, former Massachusetts First Lady
- Jorge Castillo, Advocacy Director, Alcohol Justice
- Christine Lee,Youth Services Manager Koreatown Youth and Community Center, Inc.
- Sarah Blanch - Project Manager, Institute for Public Strategies
- Richard Zaldivar – founder, The Wall – Las Memorias Project
- Ruben Rodriguez, Executive Director, Pueblo y Salud, Inc.
- Janice Boafo - Program Operations Supervisor, Tarzana Treatment Center
- Terry Marquez, Chair, Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association, NW
- Jerry Grenard, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Community and Global Health, Claremont Graduate University
- Dennis Hathaway, President, Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- John O. Whitaker, Jr., CDS, CATC II, President, Paso Por Paso
- Kevin M. Key, Community Organizer, United Coalition East Prevention Project
- Lawmakers should work to ban alcohol advertising on property that government controls, including public transportation vehicles and street furniture and restrict alcohol advertising in out-of-home locations elsewhere as well
- Despite claims of economic necessity, revenue from alcohol ads comprises less than 1% of reporting agencies' operating revenue
- The City of Los Angeles, which has succeeded in getting alcohol ads off transit vehicles, should now finish the job by banning them from all public property to play a positive role in reducing exposure to alcohol ads to protect youth and reduce alcohol-related harm to all residents and visitors of the city
- Families and youth utilize city owned and controlled property on a daily basis, such as school buildings, recreation centers, libraries and bus shelters
- Last December, UCLA, Center for Alcohol Marketing to Youth, & Dr. Jonathan Fielding submitted clear and compelling evidence that alcohol advertising on city owned property encourages youth alcohol consumption which leads to harm
- The L.A. County Department of Public Health has recommended reducing alcohol advertising in public spaces and in areas commonly seen by minors as a way to help discourage underage drinking
"We are grateful to former Councilmember Alarcon and now Councilmember Koretz for their leadership on this important health and safety issue," stated Jorge Castillo, Advocacy Director at Alcohol Justice. "We look forward to swift passage of the motion and can almost see the day when resident, visitors and especially our youth are no longer assaulted by alcohol ads on L.A. city-owned property."
Coalition Members include:
- American Indian Movement – WEST
- Alcohol Justice
- Asian American Drug Abuse Program Inc.
- Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association
- Boyle Heights Coalition for a Safe & Drug Free Community
- California Hispanic Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- Community Coalition
- Institute for Public Strategies
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center
- Mexican History Foundation
- Mothers of East L.A. (MELA)
- Personal Involvement Center, Inc.
- P3 Partnership for a Positive Pomona
- Phoenix House
- Pillar of Fire Church
- Paso por Paso
- Pueblo y Salud
- Saving Lives Drug and Alcohol Coalition
- Sycamore Grove School
- Tarzana Treatment Centers & AWARE Coalition
- The Wall – Las Memorias Project
- United Coalition East Prevention Project
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union
- Women Against Gun Violence
- Writers In Treatment
- Michael & Kitty Dukakis, former Massachusetts Governor & First Lady
- Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council
- California Council on Alcohol Problems
- California Alliance for Retired Americans
- Center for Living and Learning
- County Alcohol and Drug Program Administrators' Association of California
- Crescenta Valley Drug & Alcohol Prevention Coalition
- Day One Pasadena
- Dr. J. Benjamin Hardwick
- Monsignor John Moretta
- NCADD East San Gabriel & Pomona Valleys
- Public Citizen
- Resurrection Church Neighborhood Watch – Los Angeles
- San Fernando Valley Partnership
- Venice Neighborhood Council
Michael Scippa 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo 213 840-3336
SOURCE Alcohol Justice
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 8, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 2,240
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 8, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,202
"This is specifically designed to accommodate some of the needs for high availability and failover in a network managed system for the major Korean corporations," stated Thomas Masters, Managing Director at InfranicsUSA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 261
Unsecured IoT devices were used to launch crippling DDOS attacks in October 2016, targeting services such as Twitter, Spotify, and GitHub. Subsequent testimony to Congress about potential attacks on office buildings, schools, and hospitals raised the possibility for the IoT to harm and even kill people. What should be done? Does the government need to intervene? This panel at @ThingExpo New York brings together leading IoT and security experts to discuss this very serious topic.
Dec. 8, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 501
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Dec. 8, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 902
CloudJumper, a Workspace as a Service (WaaS) platform innovator for agile business IT, has been recognized with the Customer Value Leadership Award for its nWorkSpace platform by Frost & Sullivan. The company was also featured in a new report(1) by the industry research firm titled, “Desktop-as-a-Service Buyer’s Guide, 2016,” which provides a comprehensive comparison of DaaS providers, including CloudJumper, Amazon, VMware, and Microsoft.
Dec. 8, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 970
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,175
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Dec. 8, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 173
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 776
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 745
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,177
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:15 PM EST Reads: 724
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, sha...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,185
SYS-CON Events announced today that Fusion, a leading provider of cloud services, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Fusion, a leading provider of integrated cloud solutions to small, medium and large businesses, is the industry’s single source for the cloud. Fusion’s advanced, proprietary cloud service platform enables the integration of leading edge solutions in the cloud, including clou...
Dec. 8, 2016 01:00 PM EST Reads: 473
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Phil Hombledal, Solution Architect at CollabNet, discussed how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Dec. 8, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,235