|By Marketwired .||
|February 11, 2014 07:10 AM EST||
DALLAS, TX -- (Marketwired) -- 02/11/14 -- Paragon Software Systems, Inc., a leader in vehicle routing and scheduling optimization solutions, discusses five New Year's resolutions for transportation managers. Transportation and logistics industry professionals need to control operating costs to stay ahead of the competition. Using solutions that help them lower fuel usage, improve carbon emissions, better utilize resources, and reduce transportation costs will bring a big impact to their bottom line.
"With each New Year, we create a list of resolutions that we hope will change our lives and businesses, such as getting a better handle on data or streamlining processes," said William Salter, President & CEO of Paragon Software Systems. "We've created a list of resolutions for transportation managers that we feel will make their life better, job easier, and improve their bottom line profits. Paragon is poised to help transportation managers better manage their transportation operations in 2014."
The New Year's Resolutions for Transportation Managers Are:
1. Look at how you allocate your customers to your Distribution Centers (DCs) to determine the best network of DC locations to satisfy your customer service requirements most cost effectively. Paragon's Fastnet is a network modeling tool that lets you determine the best network of distribution centers and depots to satisfy distribution requirements most cost effectively. It utilizes historical order volumes to decide which customers to serve from each DC. This improves transportation efficiency, reduces total mileage, and fosters better customer service due to appropriate allocation of customers to each DC.
2. Optimize your truck routes to cut costs, optimize vehicle use, streamline operations and help you make the most of every drop of fuel. Paragon's advanced routing and scheduling software provides intelligent route optimization so that companies can reduce their total annual mileage, which in turn cuts fuel usage and carbon emissions. These operations can also typically reduce their truck fleet costs by up to 20%, and sometimes by significantly more.
3. Make your truck route plans as accurate as possible to deliver better results. There is no point creating a plan that does not reflect the real world. Utilize a vehicle tracking tool that can tell how long it really takes a driver to deliver and/or collect at each customer site, then refine planning parameters accordingly. The more accurate your route plans, the more likely you are to achieve more realistic savings.
4. Reduce empty running of trucks -- empty trucks are a waste of money. If your drivers could pick up another load on the way back to the depot, then trucks are better utilized. Paragon's Integrated Fleets option enables vehicles and drivers at multiple sites to be treated as a single integrated transportation resource, so that movements from different depots can be combined into efficient routes that reduce overall empty running. This inter-working of multiple fleets generates route plans with efficient backloads, which increases asset utilization, improves productivity and reduces empty mileage.
5. Continue working on winning the hearts and minds of those involved in your distribution operation. When you add a routing and scheduling solution that will make the team's job easier by eliminating manual route planning and scheduling, some transportation teams find it hard to accept the change. Assure planners that the system is not a threat, but will enhance the overall job that they do. Invest in your staff with appropriate training and support to speed implementation and acceptance.
About Paragon Software Systems:
Paragon Software Systems, Inc., based in Dallas, Texas, is a leading provider of truck routing and scheduling software solutions. Paragon's advanced planning systems have been proven to cut transportation costs and improve efficiency across a wide range of distribution operation types and industry sectors. Paragon's North American truck routing software clients include George's Inc., AgReliant Genetics, Linde, McLane, National Food Corporation, and many others. The software is used for the daily route optimization of transportation schedules; rationalizing fixed routes; managing transportation resources; strategic logistics planning; and managing home delivery orders with dynamic routing. Paragon Software Systems, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Paragon Software Systems plc, the UK's number one provider of transportation routing and scheduling software. Paragon has over 2,300 systems installed at more than 750 client sites in 45 countries worldwide. For more information visit www.paragonrouting.com/us.
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 956
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, S...
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,014
With SaaS use rampant across organizations, how can IT departments track company data and maintain security? More and more departments are commissioning their own solutions and bypassing IT. A cloud environment is amorphous and powerful, allowing you to set up solutions for all of your user needs: document sharing and collaboration, mobile access, e-mail, even industry-specific applications. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Shawn Mills, President and a founder of Green House Data, discussed h...
Jul. 27, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 173
Delphix, the market leader in Data as a Service (DaaS), has been announced winner of the DevOps Solution Award at the prestigious Computing Vendor Excellence Awards in London. The awards celebrate the achievements of the technology vendors and service providers that are leading the field of enterprise IT. Delphix was recognised as the vendor demonstrating the most effective support of DevOps culture for its ability to improve time to market and collaboration between teams.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 252
"Our biggest growth area has been the security services, the managed services - the things that differentiate us in the market that there is no client that's too small and there's no client that's too big," explained Paul Mazzucco, Chief Security Officer at TierPoint, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 302
The Cloud industry has moved from being more than just being able to provide infrastructure and management services on the Cloud. Enter a new era of Cloud computing where monetization’s services through the Cloud are an essential piece of strategy to feed your organizations bottom-line, your revenue and Profitability. In their session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed how to easily o...
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 328
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 514
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,328
Sysdig has announced two significant milestones in its mission to bring infrastructure and application monitoring to the world of containers and microservices: a $10.7 million Series A funding led by Accel and Bain Capital Ventures (BCV); and the general availability of Sysdig Cloud, the first monitoring, alerting, and troubleshooting platform specializing in container visibility, which is already used by more than 30 enterprise customers. The funding will be used to drive adoption of Sysdig Clo...
Jul. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 398
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin,...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 426
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,220
"We do data integration for B2B also application to application, and we do data management and enable Big Data," explained Pat Adamiak, Vice President, Product Marketing at Liaison Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 296
"We specialize in testing. DevOps is all about continuous delivery and accelerating the delivery pipeline and there is no continuous delivery without testing," noted Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect at Spirent Communications, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 27, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 315
How do you securely enable access to your applications in AWS without exposing any attack surfaces? The answer is usually very complicated because application environments morph over time in response to growing requirements from your employee base, your partners and your customers. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Haseeb Budhani, CEO and Co-founder of Soha, shared five common approaches that DevOps teams follow to secure access to applications deployed in AWS, Azure, etc., and the friction an...
Jul. 27, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 437
Digital Transformation is the ultimate goal of cloud computing and related initiatives. The phrase is certainly not a precise one, and as subject to hand-waving and distortion as any high-falutin' terminology in the world of information technology. Yet it is an excellent choice of words to describe what enterprise IT—and by extension, organizations in general—should be working to achieve. Digital Transformation means: handling all the data types being found and created in the organizat...
Jul. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,032