|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2014 08:30 AM EST||
DENVER, Feb. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Tax-time identity theft now poses a serious threat to your financial reputation, according to Tom Feige, ceo of Denver-based idRADAR, which provides data security for both individuals and corporations And tax-related identity theft is on the rise, he says.
Tax-related identity theft affects individuals in a variety of ways, Feige says. Criminals can obtain a refund by using your social security number and can also gain employment by using your information.
idRadar offers these tips to minimize your chances of being affected by this growing crime:
1. Choose a security-minded tax preparer. Your greatest risk of identity theft during tax season comes from a surprising source: a dishonest or disorganized tax preparer. Check out your tax preparer thoroughly, online an in-person. Visit their office, and ask about privacy policies and procedures and if client files are well protected.
2. Secure your computers and copy machines from hackers. Install anti-virus, anti-spam and anti-spyware software, with automatic updates. Failure to do this allows malware attached to malicious emails, social media platforms and rogue websites to penetrate your entire system, giving thieves access to every computer on your network. Also, make sure you choose strong passwords and have password protection software installed. Don't email sensitive tax data unless it is encrypted. Consider erasing your copy machine's hard drive, as it maintains a digital record of every document you scan or copy. Criminals often access these when you repair the machine.
3. Stop falling for IRS and tax-related scams. Be on your guard. When someone asks for your SSN, TIN or other ID, refuse until you verify their legitimacy. If someone promises to drastically reduce your tax bill or speed up your tax return, suspect fraud. If anyone asks you for information to send your check, they are scamming for your identity. The IRS already knows where you live and where to send your refund. Know that the IRS will NEVER email you for any reason. If you do get caught in a tax-related identity theft scam, make sure you subscribe to a sophisticated privacy and identity theft monitoring software to help you recover.
4. Use Common Sense in All Communications. Take a few minutes to defend yourself against common sources of ID theft. Pay your taxes with checks that can't be easily washed, altered or counterfeited. Mail safely. Tax documents are easy to spot and commonly stolen out of the mail. Send your tax return by certified mail so that you know it has arrived safely and is transported with greater care. Consider filing electronically so you remove mail theft from the equation. Shred all tax-related documents that you no longer need.
5. Call the IRS right away if you suspect an ID Theft problem, If you think you are a victim of tax-time identity theft, contact the IRS's Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490, ext 245. Or, call the IRS's Taxpayer Advocate Service at 877-777-4778.
"It is your responsibility to protect not only your own tax-related information, but also the sensitive data you handle on behalf of your business, employees and customers if you work in a job that requires you to handle such data. Start taking these preventative steps now," says Feige.
Denver-based idRADAR, founded in March 2012, provides security solutions for individuals and corporations that protect and monitor identity data, credit information, internet use and digital communications. Contact the company at www.idradar.com or call 888-949-4245
Read more news on idRADAR.
Contact: Lou Grossman, 215-630-6964, Email
Organizations already struggle with the simple collection of data resulting from the proliferation of IoT, lacking the right infrastructure to manage it. They can't only rely on the cloud to collect and utilize this data because many applications still require dedicated infrastructure for security, redundancy, performance, etc. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Emil Sayegh, CEO of Codero Hosting, will discuss how in order to resolve the inherent issues, companies need to combine dedicated a...
Oct. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 360
The modern software development landscape consists of best practices and tools that allow teams to deliver software in a near-continuous manner. By adopting a culture of automation, measurement and sharing, the time to ship code has been greatly reduced, allowing for shorter release cycles and quicker feedback from customers and users. Still, with all of these tools and methods, how can teams stay on top of what is taking place across their infrastructure and codebase? Hopping between services a...
Oct. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 221
For almost two decades, businesses have discovered great opportunities to engage with customers and even expand revenue through digital systems, including web and mobile applications. Yet, even now, the conversation between the business and the technologists that deliver these systems is strained, in large part due to misaligned objectives. In his session at DevOps Summit, James Urquhart, Senior Vice President of Performance Analytics at SOASTA, Inc., will discuss how measuring user outcomes –...
Oct. 3, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 263
Clearly the way forward is to move to cloud be it bare metal, VMs or containers. One aspect of the current public clouds that is slowing this cloud migration is cloud lock-in. Every cloud vendor is trying to make it very difficult to move out once a customer has chosen their cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Naveen Nimmu, CEO of Clouber, Inc., will advocate that making the inter-cloud migration as simple as changing airlines would help the entire industry to quickly adopt the cloud wit...
Oct. 3, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 337
While testing is often ignored when it comes to DevOps - it could be the most important aspect of achieving true DevOps success. Without rethinking automated testing from the ground-up, the entire DevOps productivity gain cannot be realized. Large tech companies build their own rapid test automation that runs in minutes across functional, performance, security and other tests. In his session at DevOps Summit, Kevin Surace, CEO of Appvance, will discuss how we learn from these real-world succe...
Oct. 3, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 284
SYS-CON Events announced today that VividCortex, the monitoring solution for the modern data system, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The database is the heart of most applications, but it’s also the part that’s hardest to scale, monitor, and optimize even as it’s growing 50% year over year. VividCortex is the first unified suite of database monitoring tools specifically desi...
Oct. 3, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 302
Apps and devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. Learn how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again) whenever an Internet connection is available. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate at IBM Cloud Data Services, will demonstrate techniques for replicating cloud databases with devices in order to build offline-first mobile or Internet of Things (IoT) apps that can provide a better, ...
Oct. 3, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 311
“All our customers are looking at the cloud ecosystem as an important part of their overall product strategy. Some see it evolve as a multi-cloud / hybrid cloud strategy, while others are embracing all forms of cloud offerings like PaaS, IaaS and SaaS in their solutions,” noted Suhas Joshi, Vice President – Technology, at Harbinger Group, in this exclusive Q&A with Cloud Expo Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff.
Oct. 3, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 261
Interested in leveraging automation technologies and a cloud architecture to make developers more productive? Learn how PaaS can benefit your organization to help you streamline your application development, allow you to use existing infrastructure and improve operational efficiencies. Begin charting your path to PaaS with OpenShift Enterprise.
Oct. 3, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 258
SYS-CON Events announced today that Agema Systems will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Agema Systems is the leading provider of critical white-box rack solutions to data centers through the major integrators and value added distribution channels.
Oct. 3, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 544
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Raxak has been named “Media & Session Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Raxak Protect automates security compliance across private and public clouds. Using the SaaS tool or managed service, developers can deploy cloud apps quickly, cost-effectively, and without error.
Oct. 3, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 557
DevOps is gaining traction in the federal government – and for good reasons. Heightened user expectations are pushing IT organizations to accelerate application development and support more innovation. At the same time, budgetary constraints require that agencies find ways to decrease the cost of developing, maintaining, and running applications. IT now faces a daunting task: do more and react faster than ever before – all with fewer resources.
Oct. 3, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 240
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Oct. 3, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 596
SYS-CON Events announced today that Key Information Systems, Inc. (KeyInfo), a leading cloud and infrastructure provider offering integrated solutions to enterprises, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Key Information Systems is a leading regional systems integrator with world-class compute, storage and networking solutions and professional services for the most advanced softwa...
Oct. 3, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 219
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Oct. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 357