|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2014 08:30 AM EST||
DENVER, Feb. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Tax-time identity theft now poses a serious threat to your financial reputation, according to Tom Feige, ceo of Denver-based idRADAR, which provides data security for both individuals and corporations And tax-related identity theft is on the rise, he says.
Tax-related identity theft affects individuals in a variety of ways, Feige says. Criminals can obtain a refund by using your social security number and can also gain employment by using your information.
idRadar offers these tips to minimize your chances of being affected by this growing crime:
1. Choose a security-minded tax preparer. Your greatest risk of identity theft during tax season comes from a surprising source: a dishonest or disorganized tax preparer. Check out your tax preparer thoroughly, online an in-person. Visit their office, and ask about privacy policies and procedures and if client files are well protected.
2. Secure your computers and copy machines from hackers. Install anti-virus, anti-spam and anti-spyware software, with automatic updates. Failure to do this allows malware attached to malicious emails, social media platforms and rogue websites to penetrate your entire system, giving thieves access to every computer on your network. Also, make sure you choose strong passwords and have password protection software installed. Don't email sensitive tax data unless it is encrypted. Consider erasing your copy machine's hard drive, as it maintains a digital record of every document you scan or copy. Criminals often access these when you repair the machine.
3. Stop falling for IRS and tax-related scams. Be on your guard. When someone asks for your SSN, TIN or other ID, refuse until you verify their legitimacy. If someone promises to drastically reduce your tax bill or speed up your tax return, suspect fraud. If anyone asks you for information to send your check, they are scamming for your identity. The IRS already knows where you live and where to send your refund. Know that the IRS will NEVER email you for any reason. If you do get caught in a tax-related identity theft scam, make sure you subscribe to a sophisticated privacy and identity theft monitoring software to help you recover.
4. Use Common Sense in All Communications. Take a few minutes to defend yourself against common sources of ID theft. Pay your taxes with checks that can't be easily washed, altered or counterfeited. Mail safely. Tax documents are easy to spot and commonly stolen out of the mail. Send your tax return by certified mail so that you know it has arrived safely and is transported with greater care. Consider filing electronically so you remove mail theft from the equation. Shred all tax-related documents that you no longer need.
5. Call the IRS right away if you suspect an ID Theft problem, If you think you are a victim of tax-time identity theft, contact the IRS's Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490, ext 245. Or, call the IRS's Taxpayer Advocate Service at 877-777-4778.
"It is your responsibility to protect not only your own tax-related information, but also the sensitive data you handle on behalf of your business, employees and customers if you work in a job that requires you to handle such data. Start taking these preventative steps now," says Feige.
Denver-based idRADAR, founded in March 2012, provides security solutions for individuals and corporations that protect and monitor identity data, credit information, internet use and digital communications. Contact the company at www.idradar.com or call 888-949-4245
Read more news on idRADAR.
Contact: Lou Grossman, 215-630-6964, Email
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Sep. 4, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,696
ElasticBox, the agile application delivery manager, announced freely available public boxes for the DevOps community. ElasticBox works with enterprises to help them deploy any application to any cloud. Public boxes are curated reference boxes that represent some of the most popular applications and tools for orchestrating deployments at scale. Boxes are an adaptive way to represent reusable infrastructure as components of code. Boxes contain scripts, variables, and metadata to automate proces...
Sep. 4, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 128
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so the...
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 268
To support developers and operations professionals in their push to implement DevOps principles for their infrastructure environments, ProfitBricks, a provider of cloud infrastructure, is adding support for DevOps tools Ansible and Chef. Ansible is a platform for configuring and managing data center infrastructure that combines multi-node software deployment, ad hoc task execution, and configuration management, and is used by DevOps professionals as they use its playbooks functionality to autom...
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 124
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Com...
Sep. 4, 2015 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,629
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Sep. 4, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 540
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Sep. 4, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 587
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 384
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 447
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 313
Puppet Labs is pleased to share the findings from our 2015 State of DevOps Survey. We have deepened our understanding of how DevOps enables IT performance and organizational performance, based on responses from more than 20,000 technical professionals we’ve surveyed over the past four years. The 2015 State of DevOps Report reveals high-performing IT organizations deploy 30x more frequently with 200x shorter lead times. They have 60x fewer failures and recover 168x faster
Sep. 3, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 124
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 3, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 491
Containers are not new, but renewed commitments to performance, flexibility, and agility have propelled them to the top of the agenda today. By working without the need for virtualization and its overhead, containers are seen as the perfect way to deploy apps and services across multiple clouds. Containers can handle anything from file types to operating systems and services, including microservices. What are microservices? Unlike what the name implies, microservices are not necessarily small,...
Sep. 3, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 199
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and e...
Sep. 3, 2015 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 168
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Sep. 3, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 368