|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2014 08:03 PM EST||
KPMG sheds light on budget day impacts
TORONTO AND OTTAWA, Feb. 11, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - In an effort to balance the books by 2015, today's federal budget focused mostly on job creation and innovation. As predicted by KPMG, this budget also introduced a host of new measures to tighten the tax system by closing "tax loopholes".
Budget 2014 highlights include the following proposals:
- Job creation:
- Funding of approximately $229 million for apprenticeships and internships, including:
- $40 million over four years to the Canada Accelerator and Incubator Program to help entrepreneurs create new companies and provide mentoring and other resources.
- $40 million towards supporting up to 3,000 internships in high-demand fields.
- $15 million annually towards supporting up to 1,000 internships in small and medium-sized enterprises.
- $150,000 to increase mentorship among women entrepreneurs.
- Innovation funding:
- Additional funding for research and innovation, including the creation of the Canada First Research Excellence fund with $ 1.5 billion in funding over the next 10 years for certain post-secondary institutions.
- Tax transparency and Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) consultations:
- Focus on key areas, such as aggressive tax planning using preferential tax regimes and treaty shopping, hybrid instrument mismatches, transfer pricing methodologies, and other potential areas for abuse under taxation systems around the world.
- The budget is requesting comments from stakeholders on a number of broad questions intended to provide the government with a framework for Canada's own BEPS action plan.
- International tax changes:
- Expand the existing anti-avoidance rules in the thin capitalization provisions and to add a back-to-back loan provision.
- Amend the current rule aimed at preventing Canadian taxpayers from shifting income from the insurance of Canadian risks offshore.
- Business tax changes:
- Proposes to repeal the Eligible Capital Property regime, replacing it with a new Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) class and transfer taxpayers' existing Cumulative Eligible Capital pools to the new CCA class.
- Personal tax changes:
- Proceed with measures to eliminate the tax benefits that arise from taxing at graduated rates the taxable income of testamentary trusts.
- Eliminate the benefits for immigrant trusts that end after 2014 if the 60-month exemption is applied.
- Apply the tax on split income where a minor is allocated income from a partnership or trust that is derived from business or rental activities conducted with third parties.
KPMG's Perspective on the Budget
- For detailed analysis of Budget 2014, read KPMG's TaxNewsFlash.
- Additional KPMG Budget 2014 highlights and publications are available at kpmg.ca/budget2014.
- For highlights and analysis of the budget, watch KPMG's Federal Budget Webcast.
"The themes for today's budget are jobs, growth and innovation. The focus on jobs and growth is to manage current issues including bridging the skills gap in Canada while balancing the budget by 2015. The Harper Government has also introduced a number of tax measures aimed at closing "tax loopholes" in line with the government's continued focus on tax fairness measures and tax transparency."
− Elio Luongo, Canadian Managing Partner, Tax, KPMG
KPMG's Spokespeople across the Country
KPMG's Tax professionals from coast to coast are available to provide regional insight into the federal budget. With more than 30 offices across the country, our regional professionals can comment on the budget's local impact for Canadians and businesses.
KPMG LLP, an Audit, Tax and Advisory firm (kpmg.ca) and a Canadian limited liability partnership established under the laws of Ontario, is the Canadian member firm of KPMG International Cooperative ("KPMG International"). KPMG member firms around the world have 155,000 professionals, in 155 countries.
The independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated with KPMG International, a Swiss entity. Each KPMG firm is a legally distinct and separate entity, and describes itself as such.
SOURCE KPMG LLP
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,492
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,315
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,761
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,317
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,772
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,304
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,122
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 580
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,276
Up until last year, enterprises that were looking into cloud services usually undertook a long-term pilot with one of the large cloud providers, running test and dev workloads in the cloud. With cloud’s transition to mainstream adoption in 2015, and with enterprises migrating more and more workloads into the cloud and in between public and private environments, the single-provider approach must be revisited. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yoav Mor, multi-cloud solution evangelist at Cloudy...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 640
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Jul. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,071
Security, data privacy, reliability, and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house, client-hosted environments to a cloud platform. Quality assurance plays a vital role in ensuring that the appropriate level of risk assessment, verification, and validation takes place to ensure business continuity during the migration to a new cloud platform.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 538
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 982
Ovum, a leading technology analyst firm, has published an in-depth report, Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting a DevOps Release Management Solution, 2016–17. The report focuses on the automation aspects of DevOps, Release Management and compares solutions from the leading vendors.
Jul. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,863