|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2014 08:03 PM EST||
KPMG sheds light on budget day impacts
TORONTO AND OTTAWA, Feb. 11, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - In an effort to balance the books by 2015, today's federal budget focused mostly on job creation and innovation. As predicted by KPMG, this budget also introduced a host of new measures to tighten the tax system by closing "tax loopholes".
Budget 2014 highlights include the following proposals:
- Job creation:
- Funding of approximately $229 million for apprenticeships and internships, including:
- $40 million over four years to the Canada Accelerator and Incubator Program to help entrepreneurs create new companies and provide mentoring and other resources.
- $40 million towards supporting up to 3,000 internships in high-demand fields.
- $15 million annually towards supporting up to 1,000 internships in small and medium-sized enterprises.
- $150,000 to increase mentorship among women entrepreneurs.
- Innovation funding:
- Additional funding for research and innovation, including the creation of the Canada First Research Excellence fund with $ 1.5 billion in funding over the next 10 years for certain post-secondary institutions.
- Tax transparency and Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS) consultations:
- Focus on key areas, such as aggressive tax planning using preferential tax regimes and treaty shopping, hybrid instrument mismatches, transfer pricing methodologies, and other potential areas for abuse under taxation systems around the world.
- The budget is requesting comments from stakeholders on a number of broad questions intended to provide the government with a framework for Canada's own BEPS action plan.
- International tax changes:
- Expand the existing anti-avoidance rules in the thin capitalization provisions and to add a back-to-back loan provision.
- Amend the current rule aimed at preventing Canadian taxpayers from shifting income from the insurance of Canadian risks offshore.
- Business tax changes:
- Proposes to repeal the Eligible Capital Property regime, replacing it with a new Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) class and transfer taxpayers' existing Cumulative Eligible Capital pools to the new CCA class.
- Personal tax changes:
- Proceed with measures to eliminate the tax benefits that arise from taxing at graduated rates the taxable income of testamentary trusts.
- Eliminate the benefits for immigrant trusts that end after 2014 if the 60-month exemption is applied.
- Apply the tax on split income where a minor is allocated income from a partnership or trust that is derived from business or rental activities conducted with third parties.
KPMG's Perspective on the Budget
- For detailed analysis of Budget 2014, read KPMG's TaxNewsFlash.
- Additional KPMG Budget 2014 highlights and publications are available at kpmg.ca/budget2014.
- For highlights and analysis of the budget, watch KPMG's Federal Budget Webcast.
"The themes for today's budget are jobs, growth and innovation. The focus on jobs and growth is to manage current issues including bridging the skills gap in Canada while balancing the budget by 2015. The Harper Government has also introduced a number of tax measures aimed at closing "tax loopholes" in line with the government's continued focus on tax fairness measures and tax transparency."
− Elio Luongo, Canadian Managing Partner, Tax, KPMG
KPMG's Spokespeople across the Country
KPMG's Tax professionals from coast to coast are available to provide regional insight into the federal budget. With more than 30 offices across the country, our regional professionals can comment on the budget's local impact for Canadians and businesses.
KPMG LLP, an Audit, Tax and Advisory firm (kpmg.ca) and a Canadian limited liability partnership established under the laws of Ontario, is the Canadian member firm of KPMG International Cooperative ("KPMG International"). KPMG member firms around the world have 155,000 professionals, in 155 countries.
The independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated with KPMG International, a Swiss entity. Each KPMG firm is a legally distinct and separate entity, and describes itself as such.
SOURCE KPMG LLP
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 19, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 3,750
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 19, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 3,459
Jan. 19, 2017 04:15 PM EST Reads: 5,395
Jan. 19, 2017 04:00 PM EST Reads: 5,423
Jan. 19, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,787
Jan. 19, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,026
Jan. 19, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,045
Jan. 19, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 4,774
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,663
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,155
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 3,521
Jan. 19, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,764
"Avere Systems is a hybrid cloud solution provider. We have customers that want to use cloud storage and we have customers that want to take advantage of cloud compute," explained Rebecca Thompson, VP of Marketing at Avere Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 19, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 6,355
Jan. 19, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 2,539
Updating DevOps to the latest production data slows down your development cycle. Probably it is due to slow, inefficient conventional storage and associated copy data management practices. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in Product and Solution at Tintri, will talk about DevOps and cloud-focused storage to update hundreds of child VMs (different flavors) with updates from a master VM in minutes, saving hours or even days in each development cycle. He will also...
Jan. 19, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,190