|By PR Newswire||
|February 12, 2014 12:00 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Feb. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- For many students, varsity sports are what make their college years special.
Edward Fiske, former New York Times Education Editor and creator of the top-selling annual college guide that bears his name, highlights fourteen colleges with the best school spirit in the new ebook, Fiske Guide to Colleges with Great Sports Traditions (ISBN: 9781402294754; $4.99).
Top Fourteen Colleges with Great Sports Traditions
- University of Alabama–"Roll, tide, roll." Life in Alabama slows to a crawl on Saturday afternoons when 'Bama takes on Auburn.
- Auburn University–Part of a great Alabama rivalry, where the spirit of football lasts year-round.
- Duke University–Where else but in America can students pay $60,000 a year for the privilege of painting their faces blue and white and making life miserable for visiting basketball teams?
- University of Florida–A study in rivalries, where top-shelf varsity sports teams are a year-round draw.
- University of Kentucky–A perennial force in the NCAA postseason basketball tournament.
- Louisiana State University–Groupies are notorious for misbehaving at away games, and the athletic scene is intrinsic to the laissez les bon temps rouler spirit of New Orleans.
- University of Miami (FL)–Football is the main reason UM is on the map, but the men's basketball team won the regular season and tournament championship in 2013.
- University of Michigan–Football overshadows nearly everything each fall as students gather to cheer, "Go Blue."
- University of Notre Dame–From Knute Rockne and the Gipper right on down to modern-day greats such as Joe Montana, the spirit of the Fighting Irish reigns supreme.
- Ohio State University–Operates the mother of all college sports programs, recently tainted by the mother of all athletic scandals.
- University of Pennsylvania–Penn students take their varsity sports quite seriously, but as Ivy Leaguers, they operate under the ESPN radar.
- University of Southern California–Overall, the men's and women's athletic teams have brought home 115 national titles.
- University of Texas at Austin–The athletic department has a budget in excess of $100 million and spends more than $150,000 a year on nutritional supplements such as Gatorade and Power Bars.
- Texas A&M University–Where else do thousands of students stand for entire football games as symbolic "Twelfth Men," ready to run onto the field and join the fray?
For more information, visit College Countdown.
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Apr. 29, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,390
SYS-CON Events announced today TMCnet has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Technology Marketing Corporation (TMC) is the world's leading business-to-business and integrated marketing media company, servicing niche markets within the com...
Apr. 29, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,339
Between the mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Charles Kendrick, CTO & Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how business and devel...
Apr. 29, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,636
Unless you don’t use the internet, don’t live in California, or haven’t been paying attention to the recent news… you should be aware that self-driving cars are on their way to becoming a reality. I have seen them – they are real. If you believe in the future reality of self-driving cars, then continue reading on. If you don’t believe in the future possibilities, then I am not sure what to do to convince you other than discuss the very real changes that will roll out with the consumer producti...
Apr. 28, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 361
If there is anything we have learned by now, is that every business paves their own unique path for releasing software- every pipeline, implementation and practices are a bit different, and DevOps comes in all shapes and sizes. Software delivery practices are often comprised of set of several complementing (or even competing) methodologies – such as leveraging Agile, DevOps and even a mix of ITIL, to create the combination that’s most suitable for your organization and that maximize your busines...
Apr. 28, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,720
In the rush to compete in the digital age, a successful digital transformation is essential, but many organizations are setting themselves up for failure. There’s a common misconception that the process is just about technology, but it’s not. It’s about your business. It shouldn’t be treated as an isolated IT project; it should be driven by business needs with the committed involvement of a range of stakeholders.
Apr. 28, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,763
New Relic, Inc. has announced a set of new features across the New Relic Software Analytics Cloud that offer IT operations teams increased visibility, and the ability to diagnose and resolve performance problems quickly. The new features further IT operations teams’ ability to leverage data and analytics, as well as drive collaboration and a common, shared understanding between teams. Software teams are under pressure to resolve performance issues quickly and improve availability, as the comple...
Apr. 28, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,368
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
Apr. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,465
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
Apr. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 821
Many private cloud projects were built to deliver self-service access to development and test resources. While those clouds delivered faster access to resources, they lacked visibility, control and security needed for production deployments. In their session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steve Anderson, Product Manager at BMC Software, and Rick Lefort, Principal Technical Marketing Consultant at BMC Software, will discuss how a cloud designed for production operations not only helps accelerate developer...
Apr. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 991
Join IBM June 8 at 18th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and learn how to innovate like a startup and scale for the enterprise. You need to deliver quality applications faster and cheaper, attract and retain customers with an engaging experience across devices, and seamlessly integrate your enterprise systems. And you can't take 12 months to do it.
Apr. 28, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,727
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,618
Based on the open source Cloud Foundry technology, IBM Bluemix is an open-standard, cloud-based platform for building, managing, and running applications of all types such as web, mobile, Big Data, and new smart devices. Bluemix abstracts and hides most of the complexities that are associated with hosting and managing cloud-based applications. As an application developer, you can focus on developing your application without having to manage the infrastructure that is required to host it. For mob...
Apr. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 937
The proper isolation of resources is essential for multi-tenant environments. The traditional approach to isolate resources is, however, rather heavyweight. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Igor Drobiazko, co-founder of elastic.io, will draw upon their own experience with operating a Docker container-based infrastructure on a large scale and present a lightweight solution for resource isolation using microservices. He will also discuss the implementation of microservices in data and applicat...
Apr. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,640