|By Marketwired .||
|February 12, 2014 02:16 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 02/12/14 -- The Canadian government has taken another step in supporting adoptive families by increasing the federal adoption tax credit in the 2014 budget, says the Adoption Council of Canada.
The increase would allow adoptive families to claim up to $15,000 in eligible expenses -- an increase of $3,226 from the current maximum threshold of $11, 774. This change will apply to adoptions finalized after 2013.
The increase builds on the Adoption Expense Tax Credit enhancements the federal government introduced in the 2013 budget. Those changes allowed adoptive families to claim costs associated with the mandatory homestudy and pre-service adoption preparation training that provinces require. These costs are part of both the international and private domestic adoption processes.
"The Adoption Council of Canada is pleased that Finance Minister Jim Flaherty has recognized the need to support adoptive families," says Laura Eggertson, president of the Adoption Council of Canada and adds that "We look forward to working with the federal government in the future to further develop policies that support permanency for Canada's 30,000 children and youth in foster and group care who are waiting for permanent adoptive homes."
- The Adoption Council of Canada (www.adoption.ca) is a national, non-profit organization that provides information and support to potential adoptive families, adoptees, birth families and others in the adoption community. The ACC runs the country's only national photolisting service to help match waiting children and youth with potential adoptive families and promotes the placement of children waiting in foster care and group care.
- There are about 78,000 children and youth in foster care across Canada and about 1/2 million children in international countries who do not have a family.
- More children become available each year for adoption than are adopted. Of the 30,000 children and youth in foster care who are legally free for adoption, only about 2,000 are adopted every year.
- In 2013, for example, 7,500 Ontario children and youth in foster care were legally free for adoption. Only 830 waiting children and youth were adopted. Of the 830 children and youth adopted last year, 71% were ages 0-5, 25% were ages 6-12 and 4% were ages 13 and over. While 61% of the children and youth available for adoption are age 13 and up, this age group constituted only 4% of the 830 children and youth adopted last year.
- In the Canadian child welfare system, children often wait five years or more to be adopted, move three or more times in foster care, and may be separated from siblings. The average age of a waiting child is eight years old.
- Each year, one in five youth (29,516 in 2008 in Canada) turns 18 and ages out of the foster care system without a family.
- Children and youth who age out of the foster care system without forever families will be more likely than their peers to drop out of school, become homeless, end up in contact with the justice system, rely on social assistance or become teen parents. Without permanent families, children and youth in care are at risk of perpetuating the cycle of trauma and abuse they have experienced.
- Only 50 percent of youth in care graduate from high school, most by GED. Only 2 percent of youth in care go on to post-secondary education, compared to 24 percent of the general population.
- Youth in care are 17 times more likely to be hospitalized for mental health issues than the general public.
- Children who are adopted score higher on IQ tests than non-adopted siblings or peers, and perform better in academic and social settings.
- Adopted children are also more likely to have increased involvement in positive, structured activities, such as sports, music and community organizations.
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 20, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,448
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 870
Most of us already know that adopting new cloud applications can boost a business’s productivity by enabling organizations to be more agile and ready to change course in our fast-moving and connected digital world. But the rapid adoption of cloud apps and services also brings with it profound security threats, including visibility and control challenges that aren’t present in traditional on-premises environments. At the same time, the cloud – because of its interconnected, flexible and adaptable...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,647
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,852
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Oct. 20, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,735
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 829
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,601
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 20, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,553
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 10,912
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, will discuss the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docke...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,122
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,829
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,047
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 676
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,379
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 20, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 322