|By Marketwired .||
|February 12, 2014 02:16 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 02/12/14 -- The Canadian government has taken another step in supporting adoptive families by increasing the federal adoption tax credit in the 2014 budget, says the Adoption Council of Canada.
The increase would allow adoptive families to claim up to $15,000 in eligible expenses -- an increase of $3,226 from the current maximum threshold of $11, 774. This change will apply to adoptions finalized after 2013.
The increase builds on the Adoption Expense Tax Credit enhancements the federal government introduced in the 2013 budget. Those changes allowed adoptive families to claim costs associated with the mandatory homestudy and pre-service adoption preparation training that provinces require. These costs are part of both the international and private domestic adoption processes.
"The Adoption Council of Canada is pleased that Finance Minister Jim Flaherty has recognized the need to support adoptive families," says Laura Eggertson, president of the Adoption Council of Canada and adds that "We look forward to working with the federal government in the future to further develop policies that support permanency for Canada's 30,000 children and youth in foster and group care who are waiting for permanent adoptive homes."
- The Adoption Council of Canada (www.adoption.ca) is a national, non-profit organization that provides information and support to potential adoptive families, adoptees, birth families and others in the adoption community. The ACC runs the country's only national photolisting service to help match waiting children and youth with potential adoptive families and promotes the placement of children waiting in foster care and group care.
- There are about 78,000 children and youth in foster care across Canada and about 1/2 million children in international countries who do not have a family.
- More children become available each year for adoption than are adopted. Of the 30,000 children and youth in foster care who are legally free for adoption, only about 2,000 are adopted every year.
- In 2013, for example, 7,500 Ontario children and youth in foster care were legally free for adoption. Only 830 waiting children and youth were adopted. Of the 830 children and youth adopted last year, 71% were ages 0-5, 25% were ages 6-12 and 4% were ages 13 and over. While 61% of the children and youth available for adoption are age 13 and up, this age group constituted only 4% of the 830 children and youth adopted last year.
- In the Canadian child welfare system, children often wait five years or more to be adopted, move three or more times in foster care, and may be separated from siblings. The average age of a waiting child is eight years old.
- Each year, one in five youth (29,516 in 2008 in Canada) turns 18 and ages out of the foster care system without a family.
- Children and youth who age out of the foster care system without forever families will be more likely than their peers to drop out of school, become homeless, end up in contact with the justice system, rely on social assistance or become teen parents. Without permanent families, children and youth in care are at risk of perpetuating the cycle of trauma and abuse they have experienced.
- Only 50 percent of youth in care graduate from high school, most by GED. Only 2 percent of youth in care go on to post-secondary education, compared to 24 percent of the general population.
- Youth in care are 17 times more likely to be hospitalized for mental health issues than the general public.
- Children who are adopted score higher on IQ tests than non-adopted siblings or peers, and perform better in academic and social settings.
- Adopted children are also more likely to have increased involvement in positive, structured activities, such as sports, music and community organizations.
As cloud adoption continues to transform business, today’s global enterprises are challenged with managing a growing amount of information living outside of the data center. The rapid adoption of IoT and increasingly mobile workforce are exacerbating the problem. Ensuring secure data sharing and efficient backup poses capacity and bandwidth considerations as well as policy and regulatory compliance issues.
Aug. 31, 2016 11:52 AM EDT
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 759
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 31, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 915
Although it has gained significant traction in the consumer space, IoT is still in the early stages of adoption in enterprises environments. However, many companies are working on initiatives like Industry 4.0 that includes IoT as one of the key disruptive technologies expected to reshape businesses of tomorrow. The key challenges will be availability, robustness and reliability of networks that connect devices in a business environment. Software Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) is expected to...
Aug. 31, 2016 11:12 AM EDT Reads: 136
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Aug. 31, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 451
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Aug. 31, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 440
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of (at least) three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the back-end service, and the mobile application for the end user’s controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/target –...
Aug. 31, 2016 10:11 AM EDT Reads: 181
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 31, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,105
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,016
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 957
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 523
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 31, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 924
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 31, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 920
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 31, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 989
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 31, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 962