|By PR Newswire||
|February 12, 2014 07:02 PM EST||
Final long weekend of activities includes cool science, hot jazz, theatre, cross-country ski races, marathon running and a graffiti jam
OTTAWA, Feb. 12, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadian Heritage is pleased to invite residents and visitors to take part in the third and final weekend of the 36th Winterlude, the Capital Region's winter celebration, which kicked off on January 31 and ends on Ontario Family Day, February 17, 2014.
Here is an overview of some of the activities taking place during the final weekend of Winterlude.
Crystal Garden in Confederation Park
Festival-goers will learn the secrets of ice carving with demonstrations on Saturday and Sunday in the Crystal Garden. Expert carvers will showcase carving techniques and how they use their tools to create a work of art from a block of ice.
Young Sculptors at Work will learn the basic techniques of ice carving with professional ice carvers. Tools, safety goggles and ice will be provided. Saturday and Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to noon (ages 8 to 12); 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. (ages 13 to 17). (Registration on site 30 minutes before start time)
Visitors to Crystal Garden will also have the opportunity to:
- marvel at an impressive sculpture made from one hundred blocks of ice to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War
- enjoy the crystalline masterpieces created at the 27th Crystal Garden International Ice-Carving Competition during the first weekend of Winterlude
- visit the public art exhibition "Winter Memories" and discover Canadian artists' interpretations of winter
- take in a beautiful work of ice art to mark the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Canada and Mexico
- explore the Arctic through a unique photo exhibit that features the work of scientists in Canada's Great North
- meet the Kettle Boys for some "olde time" fun
learn about ephemeral art and create their own sculptures, or participate in making an ice mosaic sculpture
experience Memories of Ice, an original work for the reactable, the cutting-edge digital music instrument
see the United Buddy Bears Ice Sculpture, highlighting the unity and friendship between Canada and Germany
journey through Canada's vast Arctic in the footsteps of a Norwegian explorer, documented in a stunning
warm up with Cool Moves, featuring dances and acrobatic stunts
- discover the Crystal Garden at night as it transforms into a massive snowy dance floor for the Sub-Zero DJ Nights
The Winterlude fun continues across the street at Ottawa City Hall all weekend with:
- Enbridge "Energy on Ice" skating performances, Saturday and Sunday at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on the Rink of Dreams
- a showcase of Ottawa's wintry past at the Ottawa Museum Zone
- tours of the exhibit "Little Voices" at Karsh-Masson Gallery with artists Patti Normand and Lesley Buxton
Snowflake Kingdom in Jacques-Cartier Park, Gatineau
Presented by Canadian Heritage and the Ville de Gatineau, Snowflake Kingdom is North America's biggest snow playground. It is the ideal destination for the young and the young at heart. This family-friendly paradise features giant snow slides and an outdoor amphitheatre.
On Winterlude's final weekend, visitors will have the chance to:
- hold an official torch from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and take a seat in a bobsleigh for a unique photo opportunity
- experience downhill skiing with qualified instructors and learn important tips for the slopes from the Canadian Ski Patrol
- take shots at the sledge hockey display, snap a souvenir photo and meet former members of Canada's National Sledge Hockey Team
- meet players from the Gatineau Olympiques hockey team for an autograph session
- visit the Aboriginal Village and interactive exhibit "Winter Camp Life," featuring a display of tools for survival in the wintertime and a winter game called "snowsnake"
- join a bundles' race like a voyageur from the past in the Parks Canada Zone
- live the adventure of the Aboriginal trappers, French-Canadian coureurs des bois, and European merchants of the fur-trade era at Maison Charron
- see graffiti art at its best
- test their physical fitness in the Canadian Forces Winter Obstacle Course
- laugh and dance along with talented performers at the Snowflake Stage
- try a kicksled, and discover the outdoor activity that millions of Scandinavians love
- build a snow lantern and when the sun sets, discover the park at night
- visit the XTREME Zone, where they can try a zip line, bungee trampoline, pedal go-karts on snow, and a giant maze
The Ice Hog Family, Winterlude's famous mascots, will be on hand all weekend, including Monday, to meet their fans of all ages. Sunday at 3:30 p.m., a special celebration is planned for Noumi and Nouma's birthday.
The Rideau Canal Skateway
The Rideau Canal Skateway, the world's largest skating rink, is centre stage for many activities during Winterlude's final weekend.
Open for its 44th season, this fantastic 7.8-kilometre ice surface offers families and fun-seekers a wide variety of services, including rest areas, food concessions, skate and sleigh rentals, skate sharpening, and boot check services.
This weekend, visitors to the Skateway will have the opportunity to test their skills at the Giant Tiger Interactive Hockey Zone, move their muscles at the Goodlife Fitness Zone, or warm up with hot apple cider and play the OLG Sno-Bus Snowball Toss game at the OLG Sno-Bus Station at Fifth Avenue.
For the 36th Winterlude, more than 90 programming partners from Ottawa-Gatineau's private and public sectors have come together to offer visitors a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities aimed at bringing the Capital to life like never before.
Here is a sampling of what takes place on the third weekend of Winterlude:
- The National Arts Centre presents dib and dob and the journey home plus free activities during NAC English Theatre Family Day
- The Shenkman Arts Centre is a busy venue, with the comedy show Improtéine, a concert by Andrea Lindsay and Luc De Larochellière, theatre pieces One Noble Journey: A Box Marked Freedom and The Flying Canoe, plus a meet-and-greet with the artists of Arteast Mosaic
- The German Embassy hosts a German-Canadian Graffiti Jam
- Cool Science Saturday, a once-a-year special science fair, fascinates at the Canada Science and Technology Museum
- The biggest cross-country skiing event in Canada, the Gatineau Loppet, hits the trails in Gatineau Park
- Runners take their mark for the Winterman Marathon and Marathon Relays at the Canadian War Museum
- The third annual Winter Jazz Festival will warm up a number of downtown venues
- Concerts by Dominique Hudson and Steeve Michaud, comedy with Guy Nantel, and children's show Ari Cui Cui all take the stage at Maison de la culture de Gatineau
- GCTC's undercurrents: theatre below the mainstream festival returns
- The hands-on art activities of Creative Sundays stimulate the senses at the Ottawa Art Gallery
- At Algonquin Commons Theatre it's Canada Roars: A Canadian Musical Odyssey
Snowdaptation and Family Day at the Museum enthrall visitors to the Canadian Museum of History
The National Gallery of Canada hosts a number of inspiring activities
and exhibitions, including
Artissimo, Storytelling, Fischli & Weiss: The Way Things Go, Forty-Part Motet and Not Just Another Winter Tour
- An array of culinary experiences, such as the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association's Dine Wine Wintertime: Brunch Series at eight area hotels, the Stoney Ridge Winemakers Dinner at Santé Restaurant, Gainsbourg's Grand Gourmet Épousailles and a Winter Warm-up Family Board Games event at Hintonburg Public House
For more information about Winterlude, call 613-239-5000, 613-239-5090
(TTY), 1-800-465-1867 (toll free) or 1-866-661-3530 (toll free TTY), or
SOURCE Canadian Heritage
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 29, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,394
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,817
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,198
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 29, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,174
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 29, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,008
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Aug. 29, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,222
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,889
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,150
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,060
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,845
Deploying applications in hybrid cloud environments is hard work. Your team spends most of the time maintaining your infrastructure, configuring dev/test and production environments, and deploying applications across environments – which can be both time consuming and error prone. But what if you could automate provisioning and deployment to deliver error free environments faster? What could you do with your free time?
Aug. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,957
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 714
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,635
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,948
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 791