|By PR Newswire||
|February 12, 2014 07:02 PM EST||
Final long weekend of activities includes cool science, hot jazz, theatre, cross-country ski races, marathon running and a graffiti jam
OTTAWA, Feb. 12, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadian Heritage is pleased to invite residents and visitors to take part in the third and final weekend of the 36th Winterlude, the Capital Region's winter celebration, which kicked off on January 31 and ends on Ontario Family Day, February 17, 2014.
Here is an overview of some of the activities taking place during the final weekend of Winterlude.
Crystal Garden in Confederation Park
Festival-goers will learn the secrets of ice carving with demonstrations on Saturday and Sunday in the Crystal Garden. Expert carvers will showcase carving techniques and how they use their tools to create a work of art from a block of ice.
Young Sculptors at Work will learn the basic techniques of ice carving with professional ice carvers. Tools, safety goggles and ice will be provided. Saturday and Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to noon (ages 8 to 12); 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. (ages 13 to 17). (Registration on site 30 minutes before start time)
Visitors to Crystal Garden will also have the opportunity to:
- marvel at an impressive sculpture made from one hundred blocks of ice to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War
- enjoy the crystalline masterpieces created at the 27th Crystal Garden International Ice-Carving Competition during the first weekend of Winterlude
- visit the public art exhibition "Winter Memories" and discover Canadian artists' interpretations of winter
- take in a beautiful work of ice art to mark the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Canada and Mexico
- explore the Arctic through a unique photo exhibit that features the work of scientists in Canada's Great North
- meet the Kettle Boys for some "olde time" fun
learn about ephemeral art and create their own sculptures, or participate in making an ice mosaic sculpture
experience Memories of Ice, an original work for the reactable, the cutting-edge digital music instrument
see the United Buddy Bears Ice Sculpture, highlighting the unity and friendship between Canada and Germany
journey through Canada's vast Arctic in the footsteps of a Norwegian explorer, documented in a stunning
warm up with Cool Moves, featuring dances and acrobatic stunts
- discover the Crystal Garden at night as it transforms into a massive snowy dance floor for the Sub-Zero DJ Nights
The Winterlude fun continues across the street at Ottawa City Hall all weekend with:
- Enbridge "Energy on Ice" skating performances, Saturday and Sunday at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on the Rink of Dreams
- a showcase of Ottawa's wintry past at the Ottawa Museum Zone
- tours of the exhibit "Little Voices" at Karsh-Masson Gallery with artists Patti Normand and Lesley Buxton
Snowflake Kingdom in Jacques-Cartier Park, Gatineau
Presented by Canadian Heritage and the Ville de Gatineau, Snowflake Kingdom is North America's biggest snow playground. It is the ideal destination for the young and the young at heart. This family-friendly paradise features giant snow slides and an outdoor amphitheatre.
On Winterlude's final weekend, visitors will have the chance to:
- hold an official torch from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and take a seat in a bobsleigh for a unique photo opportunity
- experience downhill skiing with qualified instructors and learn important tips for the slopes from the Canadian Ski Patrol
- take shots at the sledge hockey display, snap a souvenir photo and meet former members of Canada's National Sledge Hockey Team
- meet players from the Gatineau Olympiques hockey team for an autograph session
- visit the Aboriginal Village and interactive exhibit "Winter Camp Life," featuring a display of tools for survival in the wintertime and a winter game called "snowsnake"
- join a bundles' race like a voyageur from the past in the Parks Canada Zone
- live the adventure of the Aboriginal trappers, French-Canadian coureurs des bois, and European merchants of the fur-trade era at Maison Charron
- see graffiti art at its best
- test their physical fitness in the Canadian Forces Winter Obstacle Course
- laugh and dance along with talented performers at the Snowflake Stage
- try a kicksled, and discover the outdoor activity that millions of Scandinavians love
- build a snow lantern and when the sun sets, discover the park at night
- visit the XTREME Zone, where they can try a zip line, bungee trampoline, pedal go-karts on snow, and a giant maze
The Ice Hog Family, Winterlude's famous mascots, will be on hand all weekend, including Monday, to meet their fans of all ages. Sunday at 3:30 p.m., a special celebration is planned for Noumi and Nouma's birthday.
The Rideau Canal Skateway
The Rideau Canal Skateway, the world's largest skating rink, is centre stage for many activities during Winterlude's final weekend.
Open for its 44th season, this fantastic 7.8-kilometre ice surface offers families and fun-seekers a wide variety of services, including rest areas, food concessions, skate and sleigh rentals, skate sharpening, and boot check services.
This weekend, visitors to the Skateway will have the opportunity to test their skills at the Giant Tiger Interactive Hockey Zone, move their muscles at the Goodlife Fitness Zone, or warm up with hot apple cider and play the OLG Sno-Bus Snowball Toss game at the OLG Sno-Bus Station at Fifth Avenue.
For the 36th Winterlude, more than 90 programming partners from Ottawa-Gatineau's private and public sectors have come together to offer visitors a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities aimed at bringing the Capital to life like never before.
Here is a sampling of what takes place on the third weekend of Winterlude:
- The National Arts Centre presents dib and dob and the journey home plus free activities during NAC English Theatre Family Day
- The Shenkman Arts Centre is a busy venue, with the comedy show Improtéine, a concert by Andrea Lindsay and Luc De Larochellière, theatre pieces One Noble Journey: A Box Marked Freedom and The Flying Canoe, plus a meet-and-greet with the artists of Arteast Mosaic
- The German Embassy hosts a German-Canadian Graffiti Jam
- Cool Science Saturday, a once-a-year special science fair, fascinates at the Canada Science and Technology Museum
- The biggest cross-country skiing event in Canada, the Gatineau Loppet, hits the trails in Gatineau Park
- Runners take their mark for the Winterman Marathon and Marathon Relays at the Canadian War Museum
- The third annual Winter Jazz Festival will warm up a number of downtown venues
- Concerts by Dominique Hudson and Steeve Michaud, comedy with Guy Nantel, and children's show Ari Cui Cui all take the stage at Maison de la culture de Gatineau
- GCTC's undercurrents: theatre below the mainstream festival returns
- The hands-on art activities of Creative Sundays stimulate the senses at the Ottawa Art Gallery
- At Algonquin Commons Theatre it's Canada Roars: A Canadian Musical Odyssey
Snowdaptation and Family Day at the Museum enthrall visitors to the Canadian Museum of History
The National Gallery of Canada hosts a number of inspiring activities
and exhibitions, including
Artissimo, Storytelling, Fischli & Weiss: The Way Things Go, Forty-Part Motet and Not Just Another Winter Tour
- An array of culinary experiences, such as the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association's Dine Wine Wintertime: Brunch Series at eight area hotels, the Stoney Ridge Winemakers Dinner at Santé Restaurant, Gainsbourg's Grand Gourmet Épousailles and a Winter Warm-up Family Board Games event at Hintonburg Public House
For more information about Winterlude, call 613-239-5000, 613-239-5090
(TTY), 1-800-465-1867 (toll free) or 1-866-661-3530 (toll free TTY), or
SOURCE Canadian Heritage
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Jul. 25, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 978
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 25, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 937
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 25, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,681
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Jul. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 386
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,968
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 25, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 849
The competitive landscape of the global cloud computing market in the healthcare industry is crowded due to the presence of a large number of players. The large number of participants has led to the fragmented nature of the market. Some of the major players operating in the global cloud computing market in the healthcare industry are Cisco Systems Inc., Carestream Health Inc., Carecloud Corp., AGFA Healthcare, IBM Corp., Cleardata Networks, Merge Healthcare Inc., Microsoft Corp., Intel Corp., an...
Jul. 25, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 859
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 942
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,899
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,927
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 442
“Being the one true cloud-agnostic and storage-agnostic software solution, more and more customers are coming to Commvault and saying ' What do you recommend? What's your best practice for implementing cloud?” explained Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist at Commvault, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,668
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,817
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Jul. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 878
As companies gain momentum, the need to maintain high quality products can outstrip their development team’s bandwidth for QA. Building out a large QA team (whether in-house or outsourced) can slow down development and significantly increases costs. This eBook takes QA profiles from 5 companies who successfully scaled up production without building a large QA team and includes: What to consider when choosing CI/CD tools How culture and communication can make or break implementation
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,581