|By PR Newswire||
|February 13, 2014 10:34 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Diabetes – KOL Insight and Consensus Outlook Modules
The medium term: battle lines are drawn
The fundamental drivers of the global diabetes market are strong and continue to fuel growth. Rising levels of obesity and disease prevalence in both established and emerging markets have seen the sector return a 5 year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12% over to reach US$31.9 billion in 2012. It is estimated that 347 million people have the disease – 90% of whom are Type II diabetes sufferers – and this figure could almost double by 2030.
The big four companies in diabetes - Novo Nordisk, Sanofi, Eli Lilly and Merck – are locked in a battle of supremacy which is set to continue over the medium term. While Novo Nordisk currently leads the pack, Sanofi is close behind. With Novo Nordisk's approval of Tresiba (insulin degedec) stalled in the US over safety concerns, Sanofi latest version of Lantus U300 (insulin glargine)) could capitalise. Bristol Myers-Squibb and AstraZeneca are just two of the other players set to increase their sales significantly in this busy market place by 2017.
The diabetes market will continue on an upward trajectory, and an estimated 5 year CAGR of 11 percent will see the sector top US$54 billion – the question is which companies will have a slice to this market, and how big will it be?
What's in the pipeline?
Finding market voice for new products in diabetes depends critically on price and differentiation. Cost of treatment is already an issue and resistance can be expected from health payers if new products offer only marginal therapeutic or patient management benefits. For example, excitement about Sanofi's U300 (insulin glargine) is because it shows differentiation to Lantus with "peakless" delivery and longer duration. Eli Lilly's weekly dose dulaglutide may offer advantages over other launched and pipeline GLP-1 products such as such as GSK's Eperzan (albiglutide) and BMS/AZ/Amylin's Bydureon (exanatide) but meaningful advantages need to be shown for success in the market.
What the Future Holds: is there a Game Changer on the Horizon?
Don't expect a revolution in diabetes treatment soon. New products coming to market are essentially incremental improvements over current approaches, with better safety profiles and geared to improving patient compliance.
The real prize will be for the company that can bring a paradigm shift to the treatment of diabetes. Upsetting the status quo will require a fundamentally different approach - and some of these developments threaten the diabetes drugs manufacturers existing revenues.
Among the developments to be aware of are the threat of biosimilars, the development of an artificial pancreas 'closed loop' system, the wide implementation of which would be a doomsday development for drugs companies, and a DNA reverse vaccine for which early clinical results have shown promising results.
A Complete Ongoing Analysis of Current Trends, Future Forecasts and Landscape Modifiers
For instant access to an accurate, unbiased, qualitative review of the latest treatment trends along with a five-year quantitative diabetes market forecast look no further than FirstWord's Therapy Trends: Diabetes. This comprehensive FirstWord research is available in two comprehensive modules:
• The KOL Insight: Diabetes module provides a complete review and is enhanced with exclusive in-depth interviews with leading KOLs from the US and Europe
• TThe Consensus Outlook: Diabetes data analysis module provides annual historical and forecast product-level sales data from an average of leading equity analysts' projections
Therapy Trends KOL Insight: Diabetes analyses the current and predicted key issues, current products and late-stage pipeline products. The report gives you qualitative, inside information from exclusive FirstWord interviews with 12 key opinion leaders (KOLs) through the following:
• KOL Insight Report — an in-depth analytical report on diabetes treatment trends
• Full report updates — issued to you after each and every significant diabetes market event
• Event Bulletins — the latest KOL views in response to each event
Key Report Features and Benefits
• Critical insights on products and market developments from leading US and European clinicians
• Complete coverage of all sub sectors - Basal, Prandial and Premixed insulins, DPP-IV inhibitors, GLP-1 agonists/analogues, SGLT-2 inhibitors, Thiazolidinediones and other non insulin anti diabetics
• Assessment of current leading diabetes products by sub sector
• Analysis of late-stage pipeline diabetes therapies by sub sector
• Competitive evaluation of leading players
• Current thinking and trends in the treatment of diabetes
• Predicted KOL treatment trends and market leaders
• Ongoing FirstWord clinical and market updates
Expert Opinion for Real World Insights
The data and analysis in the report is enriched through the specific insights and opinions of leading clinicians working in diabetes in the US and Europe. Their views on specific drugs and treatment pathways provide a unique front line perspective from those working in clinical setting. The results of these detailed and extensive interviews are incorporated though out the text so they can be read in the context of the issue or product being discussed.
• Dr Elif Oral, MD, Associate Professor of Endocrinology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
• Dr Sonal Singh, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor, Division of General Internal Medicines, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
• Dr Carol Wysham, MD, Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicines, University of Washington School of Medicine, Washington.
• Dr Joel Zonszein, MD, Director of the Clinical Diabetes Center at the University Hospital Albert Einstein College of Medicine, a Division of Montefiori Medical Center, NY.
• Requested anonymous, Associate Professor of Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Duke University, Durham, NC.
• Professor Bernard Charbonnel, MD, Professor of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, University of Nantes; Head of the Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Diabetes Department, Hôtel Dieu, University Hospital of Nantes, France.
• Professor Melanie Davies, MD, Honorary Consultant, Diabetes, University Hospital Leicester, Leicestershire, UK.
• Professor Marc Donath, MD, Director, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland.
• Professor Baptist Gallwitz, MD, Professor, Professor of Medicine, Diabetes, Eberhard Karls University, University Hospital of Tuebingen, Germany.
• Professor Jens Holst, MD, Professor of Medical Physiology, Department of Biomedical Sciences; Director of the Research Cluster for Diabetes and Obesity; Vice Chairman, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
• Professor Michael Nauck, MD, Head, Diabeteszentrum Bad Lauterberg, Harz, Germany.
• Professor John Wilding, MD, Head of the Department of Obesity and Endocrinology, University of Liverpool, UK.
Key Quotes from the Report
"I like Janumet. I get a much more effective medication even in one pill a day using combination therapy. Janumet has this long acting glycol, so it is long acting. In early diabetes, together with lifestyle changes, I often use a combination of DPP-IV with metformin, either once or twice a day because it doesn't cause hypoglycaemia. The patients don't need to monitor their blood sugar three, four, five times a day. They don't get admitted to the hospital with hypoglycaemia so the side effects are low. So I start treating these patients with a combination therapy, like Janumet." Dr Joel Zonszein (US)
"I think lots of people use Kombiglyze because it improves compliance so it makes sense. In the therapeutic armamentarium it's the only real once daily combination." Professor Sonal Singh (US)
"In terms of efficacy, side effects, convenience and device, Victoza is the preferred GLP-1. If I look at the new-starts, probably 60 percent of people are going for the Victoza" Dr Carol Wysham (US)
"The prevention of hypoglycaemia is a very important aim for the classical drugs and an unmet need. We should be searching for alternatives to insulin." Professor Baptist Gallwitz (EU)
"I am not too optimistic that you can improve DPP-IV inhibitors to be more efficacious. You may well be able to improve GLP-1 agonists to have more efficacious drugs that have less side effects based on the variety within the class that we have seen until now. I think that the pharmaceutical industry as a whole is a little bit running out of ideas, so we really need to identify good targets." Professor Michael Nauck (EU)
"I think if someone came up with a reasonably well-tolerated drug that helped you lose weight [and] that you only had to take once a month or once a year? Everyone would be on that. US Key Opinion Leader
"Our local insurance company have taken all of what they consider tier 3 drugs, and they include all the GLP-1 agents including the DPP-IV inhibitors, and just put them on a 50-percent co-pay. Fifty percent of a lot of money is still a lot of money." Dr Carol Wysham (US)
KOL Insights -- Key Topics
• Current diabetes marketplace
• Current treatment landscape
• Reimbursement of key diabetes brands
• Current marketed therapies
• Pipeline therapies
• Unmet needs
• Current treatment algorithm
• Future treatment algorithm
• Future developments in Diabetes
Use this detailed report and powerful interactive Excel spreadsheet to compare and contrast companies and products now and in the future. Therapy Trends Consensus Outlook: Diabetes includes the following comprehensive resources:
• An in-depth forecast report based on consensus figures from 13 leading analysts. Rich in tables and charts, the report maps the impact of future events to predict product and company performance
• An interactive forecast data analysis spreadsheet comparing critical market parameters including market size, product sales, market shares and competitive status over the period 2007 to 2017
• Timely event-driven market forecast report and data analysis updates over 12 months
• Historical diabetes sales from 2007–2012
• Forecast diabetes sales from 2013-2017
• Key competitors and drug developers
• Current and late-stage pipeline drugs
• Future event mapping to forecast data points
• Expected impacting factors on global forecasts
Use Consensus Outlook to:
• •Chart predicted market growth and product sales
• Map your own market parameters
• Tailor your strategic and investment focus
• Assess your current and future sales resources
• Set proactive launches and branding strategies
• Barclays Capital
• Credit Suisse
• Deutsche Bank
• Goldman & Sachs
• International Strategy & Investment
• JP Morgan
• Merrill Lynch
• Morgan & Stanley
• Societe Generale
• Stifel Nicolaus
Content Highlights and Products Covered:
• Research Methodology
• Diabetes Marketplace
• Key Diabetes Developers
• Diabetes Class Dynamics
• Lantus (insulin glargine; Sanofi) forecast
• Levemir (insulin detemir; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• Tresiba (insulin degludec; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• Ryzodeg (degludecPlus; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• NovoRapid/NovoLog (insulin aspart; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• Humalog (insulin lispro; Eli Lilly) forecast
• Apidra (insulin glulisine; Sanofi) forecast
• NovoMix/NovoLog Mix (insulin aspart + insulin aspart protamine; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• Januvia franchise (sitagliptin; Merck & Co) forecast
• Galvus franchise (vildagliptin; Novartis) forecast
• Onglyza franchise (saxagliptin; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca/ Otsuka) forecast
• Nesina franchise (alogliptin; Takeda) forecast
• Tradjenta franchise (linagliptin; Boehringer Ingelheim/Eli Lilly) forecast
• Byetta (exenatide; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca/Amylin) forecast
• Bydureon (exenatide once-weekly; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca/ Amylin) forecast
• Victoza (liraglutide; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• Lyxumia (lixisenatide; Sanofi) forecast
• Invokana (canagliflozin; Johnson & Johnson/Mitsubishi Tanabe) forecast
• Forxiga (dapagliflozin; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca) forecast
• Actos (pioglitazone; Takeda) forecast
• U300 (insulin glargine; Sanofi) forecast
• LY2605541 (insulin peglispro; Eli Lilly) forecast
• LY2963016 (biosimilar insulin glargine; Eli Lilly/Boehringer Ingelheim) forecast
• IDeglira (liraglutide + insulin degludec; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• Afrezza (Technosphere Insulin; MannKind Corporation) forecast
• FIAsp (insulin aspart; Novo Nordisk) forecast
• Eperzan (albiglutide; GlaxoSmithKline/Human Genome Sciences) forecast
• LY2189265 (dulaglutide; Eli Lilly) forecast
• BI-10773 (empagliflozin; Boehringer Ingelheim/Eli Lilly) forecast
Contents Consensus Outlook
1.FirstWord Analysis Highlights
4.Key Diabetes Developers
5.Diabetes Class Dynamics
6.Lantus (insulin glargine; Sanofi) forecast
7.Levemir (insulin detemir; Novo Nordisk) forecast
8.Tresiba (insulin degludec; Novo Nordisk) forecast
9.Ryzodeg (degludecPlus; Novo Nordisk) forecast
10.NovoRapid/NovoLog (insulin aspart; Novo Nordisk) forecast
11.Humalog (insulin lispro; Eli Lilly) forecast
12.Apidra (insulin glulisine; Sanofi) forecast
13.NovoMix/NovoLog Mix (insulin aspart + insulin aspart protamine; Novo Nordisk) forecast
14.Januvia franchise (sitagliptin; Merck & Co) forecast
15.Galvus franchise (vildagliptin; Novartis) forecast
16.Onglyza franchise (saxagliptin; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca/ Otsuka) forecast
17.Nesina franchise (alogliptin; Takeda) forecast
18.Tradjenta franchise (linagliptin; Boehringer Ingelheim/Eli Lilly) forecast
19.Byetta (exenatide; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca/Amylin) forecast
20.Bydureon (exenatide once-weekly; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca/ Amylin) forecast
21.Victoza (liraglutide; Novo Nordisk) forecast
22.Lyxumia (lixisenatide; Sanofi) forecast
23.Invokana (canagliflozin; Johnson & Johnson/Mitsubishi Tanabe) forecast
24.Forxiga (dapagliflozin; Bristol-Myers Squibb/AstraZeneca) forecast
25.Actos (pioglitazone; Takeda) forecast
26.U300 (insulin glargine; Sanofi) forecast
27.LY2605541 (insulin peglispro; Eli Lilly) forecast
28.LY2963016 (biosimilar insulin glargine; Eli Lilly/Boehringer Ingelheim) forecast
29.IDeglira (liraglutide + insulin degludec; Novo Nordisk) forecast
30.Afrezza (Technosphere Insulin; MannKind Corporation) forecast
31.FIAsp (insulin aspart; Novo Nordisk) forecast
32.Eperzan (albiglutide; GlaxoSmithKline/Human Genome Sciences) forecast
33.LY2189265 (dulaglutide; Eli Lilly) forecast
34.BI-10773 (empagliflozin; Boehringer Ingelheim/Eli Lilly) forecast
4.Current diabetes marketplace
5.7.Complications of diabetes
5.10.Current treatment landscape
5.11.Reimbursement of key diabetes brands
6.Current marketed therapies
6.4.Dipeptidyl Peptidase-IV (DPP-IV) inhibitors
6.5.Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) agonists/analogues
6.6.Sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 (SGLT-2) inhibitors
6.8.Other non-insulin anti-diabetics
7.1.Pipeline basal insulins
7.2.Pipeline prandial insulins
7.3.Pipeline dipeptidyl peptidase-IV (DPP-IV) inhibitors
7.4.Pipeline glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) agonists/analogues
7.5.Pipeline sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT-2) inhibitors
7.6.Other pipeline non-insulin anti-diabetics
8.1.Unmet needs in type 1 diabetes
8.2.Unmet needs in type 2 diabetes
8.3.Current treatment algorithm- Type2 diabetes
8.4.Future treatment algorithm
9.Future developments in Diabetes
9.1.Biosimilar insulin commercial threat limited
9.2.Continuous glucose monitoring and closed loop systems
9.3.Transplantation or regeneration of beta-cells
9.4.Targeting immune response and inflammation
To order this report: Diabetes – KOL Insight and Consensus Outlook Modules
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 23, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,748
Did you know that you can develop for mainframes in Java? Or that the testing and deployment can be automated across mobile to mainframe? In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Vaughn Marshall, Sr. Principal Product Owner at CA Technologies, will discuss and demo how increasingly teams are developing with agile methodologies using modern development environments and automating testing and deployments, mobile to mainframe.
Apr. 23, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 736
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 23, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,624
As pervasive as cloud technology is -- and as persuasive as the arguments are for using it -- the cloud has its limits. Some companies will always have security concerns about storing data in the cloud and certain high-transaction applications will always be better suited for on-premises storage. Those statements were among the bottom-line takeaways delivered at Cloud Expo this week, a three day, bi-annual event focused on cloud technologies, adoption and associated challenges.
Apr. 23, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,612
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 23, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,767
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 23, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 420
Quickly find the root cause of complex database problems slowing down your applications. Up to 88% of all application performance issues are related to the database. DPA’s unique response time analysis shows you exactly what needs fixing - in four clicks or less. Optimize performance anywhere. Database Performance Analyzer monitors on-premises, on VMware®, and in the Cloud, including Amazon® AWS and Azure™ virtual machines.
Apr. 23, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,418
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 23, 2017 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,452
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 23, 2017 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,733
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 23, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,345
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 23, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,653
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,523
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 23, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 295
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 322
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,406