|By Business Wire||
|February 13, 2014 05:50 PM EST||
Nintendo detailed major announcements for its Wii U home console and Nintendo 3DS portable system in the first Nintendo Direct of 2014. Launch dates and details for multiple games were revealed, including new characters in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, and Mario Kart 8 for Wii U. Nintendo also announced specifics about the addition of Game Boy Advance games to the Wii U Virtual Console service. NES Remix 2 is also on the way, complete with a Luigi-themed surprise. And a pair of games coming to the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS – Steel Diver: Sub Wars and Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball – demonstrate unique new ways for players to acquire add-on content. To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct.
Little Mac joins Super Smash Bros. (Photo: Business Wire)
Some of today’s announcements included:
Wii U News
- Mario Kart 8: For the first time ever in any game, all of Bowser’s seven Koopalings are playable characters. Players with a taste for being bad can get ready to challenge gravity on the race track with Iggy, Larry, Lemmy, Ludwig, Morton, Roy and Wendy. The game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on May 30.
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: Little Mac, the hero of the Punch-Out!! boxing games, will make his first appearance as a playable character in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. game. The game will launch in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in 2014.
- Game Boy Advance Games: Portable classics will start making their way to the Wii U Virtual Console in April, starting with fan favorites such as Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3. Additional games will follow every month.
- Bayonetta 2: A new trailer for the title from Platinum Games showed off some new game features. The game is scheduled to launch later this year.
- New game-play footage was shown for the in-development title from MONOLITH SOFT INC. The game’s battle system is based on Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii. Additional updates will be announced in the future.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U
NES Remix 2: This second installment of
the mashup of classic Nintendo games features challenges from later
NES games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby’s Adventure
and Metroid. Just like NES Remix, the sequel includes
stages from the original games with new challenges, as well as
modified stages that introduce new elements. The game is scheduled to
be available April 25 for $14.99. Best of all, players can unlock a
free bonus game:
- Super Luigi Bros.: This is a full game based on a challenge from NES Remix. It contains all the levels from the original Super Mario Bros. game, only now it stars Luigi and requires players to navigate familiar levels in an unheard-of way – by running to the left! The game even incorporates Luigi’s signature high jump. It’s a fun new spin on a classic game.
- Child of Light: In this RPG from Ubisoft, players take on the role of young Princess Aurora, who is on a quest to retrieve three sources of light from the evil queen. She must fight monsters and solve puzzles to progress. She is assisted by her firefly companion Igniculous, who can heal party members during battles and write messages in light to interact with other players. The game is scheduled to launch April 30 for $14.99.
Nintendo 3DS News
- Yoshi’s New Island: Yoshi gets to bash and thrash his environment by throwing around Mega Eggdozers and Metal Eggdozers. Yoshi also can transform into a variety of objects, such as a jackhammer or a submarine, both of which can be manipulated using the Nintendo 3DS gyro controls. A certain type of star even transforms him into Super Yoshi, giving him the ability to fly through the sky or run along walls and ceilings. Players who are having trouble completing a level might see the appearance of Flutter Wings, which let Yoshi fly through the air. Yoshi’s New Island is scheduled to launch March 14 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
- Mario Golf: World Tour: In addition to previously announced multiplayer features, the game will also include the Castle Club, a single-player clubhouse area that offers a variety of areas to help players hone their skills. The Castle Club includes golf courses, tournaments, training areas, shops, locker rooms and a café. A training area lets them focus on specific aspects of their game, such as putting. Players can customize their Mii characters using items sold at the shop, including clubs, golf balls and clothing. Different combinations of gear can affect a player’s performance. Mario Golf: World Tour is scheduled to launch May 2 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
- Kirby: Triple Deluxe: Kirby has always had the power to inhale his enemies and take on their abilities. Each copy ability can let him do a variety of actions and moves, depending on which buttons are pressed. The game includes a huge number of collectibles for players to find, from hidden 8-bit keychains to Sun Stones. The game takes advantage of the StreetPass feature to deliver better items to players. Kirby: Triple Deluxe is scheduled to launch May 2 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
- Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy: The game includes the series’ famous mind-bending puzzles as well as collectible items and scavenger hunts that can be shared via StreetPass. The game launches Feb. 28 in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Hunt alongside friends online in the most dynamic Monster Hunter game ever. Capcom’s action RPG is coming to North America in early 2015 with more content and options than ever before.
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
- Steel Diver: Sub Wars: AVAILABLE NOW! This strategic first-person shooter is the successor to Steel Diver. It features more tactical action game play than typical shooters, as players are asked to navigate heavy-duty submarines while staying one step ahead of their enemies. People can compete in local four-on-four team sub battles and go online to battle submariners from around the world (as long as each person downloads the game for him- or herself). A free version that features two basic submarines, the beginning of the single-player mission mode and multiplayer features is now available for download. An upgrade to the full Premium version of the game is also available for purchase within the in-game menu for $9.99.
- INAZUMA ELEVEN: AVAILABLE NOW! In this soccer-themed RPG, players help their team go from underdogs to champions by training, learning new skills and recruiting the best players around. High-tension soccer battles require players to marshal all their teammates’ special moves, from flaming tornado kicks to mind-bending acrobatics. The INAZUMA ELEVEN franchise has passionate fans in Japan and Europe, and it makes its North American debut today. The game is now available for download for $19.99.
- Pokémon Battle Trozei: This fast-paced Pokémon puzzle game has players matching Pokémon to clear them while battling and collecting other Pokémon. The game includes every single known Pokémon – more than 700 of them – from Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Caught Pokémon can be used by players during battles to help them and will even grow in strength and inflict greater damage the more they are used. The game also features four-player co-op play, and is scheduled to be available March 20 for $7.99.
- Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball: Ex-pro baseball player and dog Rusty Slugger owns a sports shack. He’s broke with 10 puppies to feed, so he offers a variety of baseball mini-games for sale, themed around the simple pleasures of baseball. Players can bat, pitch, catch and even umpire. The initial software containing a part of the first mini-game is free, but players can purchase additional mini-games in a unique way: by haggling to lower the real-world price for each downloadable game. Additional games start at $4 apiece, but giving Rusty items or listening to his problems might improve his mood and motivate him to offer steep discounts. The game is scheduled to launch in April.
- WEAPON SHOP de OMASSE: This is the fourth and final game in what is known in Japan as the GUILD01 series, which has delivered games like LIBERATION MAIDEN and CRIMSON SHROUD to the Nintendo eShop. In comedian Yoshiyuki Hirai’s tribute to classic role-playing games, players are tasked with managing a weapon shop inside an RPG. Players tap the touch screen in time with music to forge their weapons. Optimal timing and forge temperatures lead to better weapons for heroes to take on quests. The stronger the weapons, the more successful the heroes. The game is scheduled to be available Feb. 20 for $7.99.
Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.
About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, and Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.2 billion video games and more than 669 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™ and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at http://www.nintendo.com.
Note to editors: Nintendo press materials are available at http://press.nintendo.com, a password-protected site. To obtain a login, please contact Deanna Avila at 213-438-8742 or [email protected]. Users can receive instant Nintendo information by subscribing to the site’s RSS feed.
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,140
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Dec. 7, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 322
"We are a custom software development, engineering firm. We specialize in cloud applications from helping customers that have on-premise applications migrating to the cloud, to helping customers design brand new apps in the cloud. And we specialize in mobile apps," explained Peter Di Stefano, Vice President of Marketing at Impiger Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 01:24 PM EST
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:45 PM EST Reads: 1,069
President Obama recently announced the launch of a new national awareness campaign to "encourage more Americans to move beyond passwords – adding an extra layer of security like a fingerprint or codes sent to your cellphone." The shift from single passwords to multi-factor authentication couldn’t be timelier or more strategic. This session will focus on why passwords alone are no longer effective, and why the time to act is now. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Chris Webber, security strateg...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:35 PM EST Reads: 177
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 606
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 713
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 832
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 587
We are always online. We access our data, our finances, work, and various services on the Internet. But we live in a congested world of information in which the roads were built two decades ago. The quest for better, faster Internet routing has been around for a decade, but nobody solved this problem. We’ve seen band-aid approaches like CDNs that attack a niche's slice of static content part of the Internet, but that’s it. It does not address the dynamic services-based Internet of today. It does...
Dec. 7, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,112
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation; Alan Williamson, Principal...
Dec. 7, 2016 11:47 AM EST Reads: 230
"Venafi has a platform that allows you to manage, centralize and automate the complete life cycle of keys and certificates within the organization," explained Gina Osmond, Sr. Field Marketing Manager at Venafi, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,021
"We analyze the video streaming experience. We are gathering the user behavior in real time from the user devices and we analyze how users experience the video streaming," explained Eric Kim, Founder and CEO at Streamlyzer, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 11:45 AM EST Reads: 454
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 7, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 649
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 7, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 2,284