|By PR Newswire||
|February 16, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
77% of Brits are after something a little more weird and wonderful when booking their UK accommodation
- 52% of Brits already experimenting with alternative accommodation
- 70% say they would be most excited about staying in a castle
- Booking.com reveals list of some of the most surprising stays in the UK
LONDON, Feb. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- British holidaymakers are craving something more surprising and a little 'out of the ordinary' when booking their UK accommodation, according to research* from Booking.com. Statistics released today show that more than three quarters (77%) of Brits would like to be able to stay somewhere a little more unusual when taking a trip in the UK.
The poll of more than 2,000 Brits also highlighted how almost one fifth look for more adventurous stays close to home, with 19% stating that they like to enjoy something quintessentially British. When asked about what they look for in an alternative place to stay, Brits say they would be most excited about a stay in a castle or other historical building (70%), with 13% claiming they like to be able to live out a childhood fantasy when holidaying in the UK.
From the 25 million reviews from holidaymakers on its site, Booking.com has identified some of the most highly rated properties from across the country. With 52% of Brits already experimenting by staying everywhere from castles to refurbished prisons, Booking.com has created a list of ten of the most surprising stays. The list includes a Llama Bed & Breakfast (with real life llamas), an apartment boat based on the Titanic and a refurbished railway station which allows you to spend the night in a restored train carriage.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK:
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock
- The Little Hide, York
- The Cider Works, Dover
It would also appear it is the little things that make the biggest difference when it comes to British holidaymakers booking their 'staycation'. Ensuring it is cosy enough to distract from the typical British weather (27%) and being able to get hold of their home comforts, such as being able to make a cup of tea (10%) are amongst the most popular determining factors. Almost one in ten base their accommodation decision purely on the quality of the sausage they get for breakfast.
Jason Grist, spokesperson for Booking.com commented; "We know Brits take longer to plan their accommodation, making sure they get it right really makes a holiday. One in ten Brits never like to take the same holiday twice, so we're sharing the alternative and diverse properties available to help to ensure they have the best experience every time,"
With more than 25 different varieties and over 424,000 properties in 195 countries, Booking.com has the best accommodation offering in the world, making it the perfect complement for the savvy British traveller.
*Consumer research of 2,234 British holidaymakers conducted by Censuswide, February 2013.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK as chosen by Booking.com;
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith: Ever enjoyed a full English breakfast with a Llama? At this five star B&B you can do just that as well as taking a llama lingo course – to help you communicate telepathically with animals. Animal loving visitors have flocked both nationally and internationally to get up close and personal with these furry friends at this one of a kind destination. This Penrith B&B has even become a buzz on social media across China!
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth: The perfect stay for any rail enthusiast and widely acknowledged as Britain's most beautiful railway station. Built in 1892 for the Prince of Wales, you will feel like royalty yourself as you lay your head for the night inside a rare Edwardian Pullman railway carriage.
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire: For a camping trip with a difference this extraordinary 250 acre estate comprise of luxury safari tents, tepees and woodland hobbit pods! This eco-friendly site allows you to camp without electricity and enjoy an eco-spa on site.
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry: Specialising in murder mysteries, ghost tours and medieval banquets, this unique Cistercian Abbey was partially designed by William Winde, who was also responsible for creating the most famous home in the country – Buckingham Palace. Bethany, who works at the Abbey comments, "You might even find little surprises such as discovering your bathroom hidden behind a bookcase!"
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield: These stylish houseboats offer a unique guest experience and are the only offering of its kind in the UK. Docked in Sheffield's Victoria Quays the boats are only a short walk from the city but provide the tranquillity of being at a country retreat.
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh: With seven in ten Brits saying they would be most excited about spending the night in a castle, nowhere is more magical than The Witchery. In the shadow of the famous Edinburgh Castle, The Witchery has its original carved door lintel and winding turret staircase and is a must stay for a 16th century historical enthusiasts.
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool: The perfect place for any Beatles fan to rest after a 'hard day's night' - unlike many other music-themed hotels, reviewers have commented that Penny Lane has been "tastefully renovated". Hotel rooms have a view of the bus shelter at Penny Lane Junction, where John Lennon and Paul McCartney used to meet.
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock: You don't need to be Kate Winslet or Leonardo DiCaprio to experience this stunning apartment boat, designed to resemble the original Titanic. With its crystal chandeliers and floors copied from the lounge on the original ship you will feel like you have stepped back into the golden age of travel.
- The Little Hide, York: Camping, even in the great British weather, can be made cosy and warm thanks to this 'grown up glamping' site. Each of these cute bespoke camping pods were built locally to the owner's specifications, which she also stained and waxed herself by hand!
- The Cider Works, Dover: What's not to love about beautiful holiday apartments where cider is also produced? Opened by the Earl of Guildford two years ago, this family-run guest house, café and cider-processing combo has already racked up an 'exceptional' 9.5 rating on Booking.com.
Booking.com is the world leader in booking hotel and other accommodations online. It guarantees the best prices for any type of property – from small independents to five-star luxury. Guests can access the Booking.com website anytime, anywhere from their desktops, mobile phones and tablet devices, and they don't pay booking fees – ever. The Booking.com website is available in 41 languages, offers more than 424,000 hotels and accommodations in 195 countries, features 25 million reviews written by guests after their stay, and attracts online visitors from both leisure and business markets around the globe. With over 17 years of experience and a team of over 6,400 dedicated employees in 115+ offices worldwide, Booking.com operates its own in-house customer service team, which is available 24/7 to assist guests in their native languages and ensure an exceptional customer experience.
Established in 1996, Booking.com B.V. owns and operates Booking.com™, and is part of The Priceline Group (NASDAQ: PCLN). Follow us on Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest, like us on Facebook, or learn more at http://www.booking.com.
Continuous testing helps bridge the gap between developing quickly and maintaining high quality products. But to implement continuous testing, CTOs must take a strategic approach to building a testing infrastructure and toolset that empowers their team to move fast. Download our guide to laying the groundwork for a scalable continuous testing strategy.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,895
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,920
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 400
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,812
“Being the one true cloud-agnostic and storage-agnostic software solution, more and more customers are coming to Commvault and saying ' What do you recommend? What's your best practice for implementing cloud?” explained Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist at Commvault, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,662
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Jul. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 861
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 897
As companies gain momentum, the need to maintain high quality products can outstrip their development team’s bandwidth for QA. Building out a large QA team (whether in-house or outsourced) can slow down development and significantly increases costs. This eBook takes QA profiles from 5 companies who successfully scaled up production without building a large QA team and includes: What to consider when choosing CI/CD tools How culture and communication can make or break implementation
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,573
UpGuard has become a member of the Center for Internet Security (CIS), and will continue to help businesses expand visibility into their cyber risk by providing hardening benchmarks to all customers. By incorporating these benchmarks, UpGuard's CSTAR solution builds on its lead in providing the most complete assessment of both internal and external cyber risk. CIS benchmarks are a widely accepted set of hardening guidelines that have been publicly available for years. Numerous solutions exist t...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:53 AM EDT Reads: 313
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,937
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 288
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,864
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 983
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,668
Cloud analytics is dramatically altering business intelligence. Some businesses will capitalize on these promising new technologies and gain key insights that’ll help them gain competitive advantage. And others won’t. Whether you’re a business leader, an IT manager, or an analyst, we want to help you and the people you need to influence with a free copy of “Cloud Analytics for Dummies,” the essential guide to this explosive new space for business intelligence.
Jul. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 709