|By PR Newswire||
|February 17, 2014 03:01 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The GSMA will unveil the Connected City at Mobile World Congress with its most ambitious and inspiring showcase yet, inviting visitors to explore a realistic city environment and experience first-hand how cutting-edge mobile products and services are improving our increasingly connected lives.
The Connected City, which attracted 15,000 visitors last year and was one of the most popular attractions at Mobile World Congress, is being brought to life by the GSMA's partners, AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, KT and Vodafone. It aims to demonstrate through interactive exhibits how intelligent mobile connections are making services in Smart Cities, education, health, transport, retail and identity and security much richer, smarter experiences. The City will also feature solutions from Accenture, Ericsson, General Motors, IBM, Huawei, Samsung and Synchronoss Technologies amongst many others.
"Mobile connectivity is shaping the world around us, enabling a wealth of valuable context-aware services that are delivered immediately to consumers and businesses," said Michael O'Hara, Chief Marketing Officer, GSMA. "The progress of connected devices and machine-to-machine communications continues unabated. This year, the Connected City is our biggest, most ambitious and most inspiring showcase yet and we invite visitors to experience how mobile technology is impacting our lives now and in the near future."
Showcasing a Range of New Experiences
The GSMA Connected City will showcase the latest mobile innovations to visitors including:
- Smart Sensing Shirts – See a team of connected basketball players from PABA (Pay d'Aix Basket) wearing the latest smart sensing sportswear to monitor and optimise performance.
- Future of the Connected Car – Explore the possibilities of automotive services through the use of augmented reality.
- Security - See how mobile devices can be the access tool for all aspects of your journey to work, including opening the doors of a concept car, the lock on your house and access to office buildings.
- Home control and monitoring - Experience unified home control and monitoring through Rich Communication Services (RCS), allowing your alarm system, thermostat and security cameras to work together.
- Healthcare - Witness how RCS can enable virtual healthcare visits, improve patient follow up and keep patient data secure, as well as enable monitoring devices to be used in the context of HD video calls.
- NFC - The Connected City will also demonstrate a range of NFC-based digital commerce solutions, highlighting applications in payment, retail, transport, mobile identity and access, among others.
GSMA Partner experiences on display in the Connected City include:
- The AT&T Drive Studio will showcase AT&T Drive, an end-to-end solution that AT&T and its contributors can provide manufacturers around the world, replicating the U.S. based Drive Studio recently opened in Atlanta. AT&T Drive is a modular global platform to help auto manufacturers deliver connected car innovations.
- Within the AT&T Drive Studio area, General Motors will display a 2014 Opel Insignia and a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, each showcasing some of the brands' upcoming connected vehicle technologies and features.
- Among the connected car innovations featured is the Sensus Connect system powered by Ericsson, which combines infotainment, navigation, and audio for a safer, more efficient driving experience.
- VoiceBox will demo conversational voice and natural language technology through navigation, media, infotainment, messaging and social features of the connected car.
- AT&T Digital Life will showcase an end-to-end solution for home automation and energy management enabling global service providers to offer a white-labeled solution. AT&T Digital Life is an all-IP, all-wireless platform solution. Digital Life International B2B Solution employs AT&T's software-as-a-service model, enabling flexibility and customization to deliver turnkey capabilities to Service Providers, allowing them to implement to serve the needs of their business.
- Clear Channel will showcase iHeartRadio, its all-in-one digital radio app, inside the connect car display. The streaming music app provides instant access to more than 1,500 live stations, create-your-own custom stations and more, right from the dashboard.
- Throughout the AT&T space Samsung will display several products including the Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy Tab2 10.1", Galaxy Tab3 7", Samsung Zoom, Accessories, and Home Sync.
- As part of the Connected City ecosystem, Synchronoss Technologies will showcase and demo technology solutions that power the connected lifestyle with Synchronoss Integrated Life™ and Synchronoss Personal Cloud™. Synchronoss Integrated Life is a cloud platform solution enabling any device to simply and quickly activate on the network and empower end users to engage with devices and network in new ways. Synchronoss Personal Cloud is an industry-leading white-labeled personal cloud solution allows mobile carriers to provide subscribers branded out-of-the-box storage and sync capabilities.
Jointly with its partner IBM, Deutsche Telekom will showcase smart solutions for M2M and the Internet of Things, including:
- Smarter Stadium: Fans can look forward to an even more exciting experience during games and concerts through better management of traffic and crowd congestion, improved safety measures and enhanced facilities.
- Smarter Retail / Food Tracing: Consumers can gain more transparency by checking the source of food, including the location of fresh produce and its route to the supermarket aisle.
- g-Manual: This medical mobile application provides personalized information about suitable medicines, possible diseases and other helpful information based on a user's personal genome data inputted into a user's smartphone.
- Smart [email protected]: An intuitive digital home control solution providing intelligent security and smart metering services using just a home hub and cloud services.
- NFC Media Pole: Intelligent media poles that combine NFC with digital signage providing films, coupons, tickets, music and advertisements on NFC enabled smartphones. There will be 65 KT NFC Media Poles deployed at MWC 2014 on the Fira Gran Via.
- Pushing the telephone wire to its limits: The world's first internet solution that uses existing telephone wires to provide bi-directional transfer speeds over 200Mbp.
Together with its partners Accenture, Huawei and BMW, Vodafone M2M will demonstrate some of its key products and solutions:
- Smart Retail – See how M2M technology can create intelligent retail cabinets, enable targeted digital advertising and reduce energy cost and consumption.
- Smart City – Experience how remote surveillance, remotely controlled street lighting and water storage monitoring are enabling the Smart City.
- Automotive – Understand how M2M is shaping the future of the automotive industry with solutions for the connected car.
- Health – see How mHealth solutions are training health workers in Kenya and improving communication between patients, healthcare professionals and medical devices.
Take a City Tour
This year, the GSMA has further enhanced the Connected City experience with the introduction of a series of "Journeys through the Connected Life", themed tours through the City catering to individual interests including Smart Cities, Health, Education, Retail, Transport and Identity and Security. Through these journeys, attendees can use Connected City Guides downloaded to their smartphone or tablet to take in the experiences most relevant to them. The Connected City Guides can also be downloaded at the many NFC (Near Field Communication) Tap-n-Go Points located across Fira Gran Via.
The GSMA Connected City will be located at Stands 3A11 and 3A31 in Hall 3, Fira Gran Via and will be open during Mobile World Congress exhibition hours from Monday 24th through Thursday 27th February 2014. Please note that the City will close at 16:00 on Tuesday for a private reception.
Get Involved at Mobile World Congress 2014
Mobile World Congress will be held 24-27 February at Fira Gran Via in Barcelona. For more information on the 2014 Mobile World Congress including how to attend, exhibit or sponsor, visit www.mobileworldcongress.com. Follow developments and updates on Mobile World Congress (#MWC14) on Twitter @GSMA #Connectedcity or on Facebook www.facebook.com/mobileworldcongress.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide. Spanning more than 220 countries, the GSMA unites nearly 800 of the world's mobile operators with 250 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and Internet companies, as well as organisations in industry sectors such as financial services, healthcare, media, transport and utilities. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress and Mobile Asia Expo.
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes how...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 5,108
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:45 AM EST Reads: 1,198
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 877
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,171
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 9, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 696
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,238
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,672
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 963
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Dec. 8, 2016 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,891
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Dec. 8, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 335
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Dec. 8, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 394
"Qosmos has launched L7Viewer, a network traffic analysis tool, so it analyzes all the traffic between the virtual machine and the data center and the virtual machine and the external world," stated Sebastien Synold, Product Line Manager at Qosmos, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 8, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 958
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 8, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,727
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 8, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 952
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 8, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,822