|By PR Newswire||
|February 17, 2014 03:01 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The GSMA will unveil the Connected City at Mobile World Congress with its most ambitious and inspiring showcase yet, inviting visitors to explore a realistic city environment and experience first-hand how cutting-edge mobile products and services are improving our increasingly connected lives.
The Connected City, which attracted 15,000 visitors last year and was one of the most popular attractions at Mobile World Congress, is being brought to life by the GSMA's partners, AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, KT and Vodafone. It aims to demonstrate through interactive exhibits how intelligent mobile connections are making services in Smart Cities, education, health, transport, retail and identity and security much richer, smarter experiences. The City will also feature solutions from Accenture, Ericsson, General Motors, IBM, Huawei, Samsung and Synchronoss Technologies amongst many others.
"Mobile connectivity is shaping the world around us, enabling a wealth of valuable context-aware services that are delivered immediately to consumers and businesses," said Michael O'Hara, Chief Marketing Officer, GSMA. "The progress of connected devices and machine-to-machine communications continues unabated. This year, the Connected City is our biggest, most ambitious and most inspiring showcase yet and we invite visitors to experience how mobile technology is impacting our lives now and in the near future."
Showcasing a Range of New Experiences
The GSMA Connected City will showcase the latest mobile innovations to visitors including:
- Smart Sensing Shirts – See a team of connected basketball players from PABA (Pay d'Aix Basket) wearing the latest smart sensing sportswear to monitor and optimise performance.
- Future of the Connected Car – Explore the possibilities of automotive services through the use of augmented reality.
- Security - See how mobile devices can be the access tool for all aspects of your journey to work, including opening the doors of a concept car, the lock on your house and access to office buildings.
- Home control and monitoring - Experience unified home control and monitoring through Rich Communication Services (RCS), allowing your alarm system, thermostat and security cameras to work together.
- Healthcare - Witness how RCS can enable virtual healthcare visits, improve patient follow up and keep patient data secure, as well as enable monitoring devices to be used in the context of HD video calls.
- NFC - The Connected City will also demonstrate a range of NFC-based digital commerce solutions, highlighting applications in payment, retail, transport, mobile identity and access, among others.
GSMA Partner experiences on display in the Connected City include:
- The AT&T Drive Studio will showcase AT&T Drive, an end-to-end solution that AT&T and its contributors can provide manufacturers around the world, replicating the U.S. based Drive Studio recently opened in Atlanta. AT&T Drive is a modular global platform to help auto manufacturers deliver connected car innovations.
- Within the AT&T Drive Studio area, General Motors will display a 2014 Opel Insignia and a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, each showcasing some of the brands' upcoming connected vehicle technologies and features.
- Among the connected car innovations featured is the Sensus Connect system powered by Ericsson, which combines infotainment, navigation, and audio for a safer, more efficient driving experience.
- VoiceBox will demo conversational voice and natural language technology through navigation, media, infotainment, messaging and social features of the connected car.
- AT&T Digital Life will showcase an end-to-end solution for home automation and energy management enabling global service providers to offer a white-labeled solution. AT&T Digital Life is an all-IP, all-wireless platform solution. Digital Life International B2B Solution employs AT&T's software-as-a-service model, enabling flexibility and customization to deliver turnkey capabilities to Service Providers, allowing them to implement to serve the needs of their business.
- Clear Channel will showcase iHeartRadio, its all-in-one digital radio app, inside the connect car display. The streaming music app provides instant access to more than 1,500 live stations, create-your-own custom stations and more, right from the dashboard.
- Throughout the AT&T space Samsung will display several products including the Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy Tab2 10.1", Galaxy Tab3 7", Samsung Zoom, Accessories, and Home Sync.
- As part of the Connected City ecosystem, Synchronoss Technologies will showcase and demo technology solutions that power the connected lifestyle with Synchronoss Integrated Life™ and Synchronoss Personal Cloud™. Synchronoss Integrated Life is a cloud platform solution enabling any device to simply and quickly activate on the network and empower end users to engage with devices and network in new ways. Synchronoss Personal Cloud is an industry-leading white-labeled personal cloud solution allows mobile carriers to provide subscribers branded out-of-the-box storage and sync capabilities.
Jointly with its partner IBM, Deutsche Telekom will showcase smart solutions for M2M and the Internet of Things, including:
- Smarter Stadium: Fans can look forward to an even more exciting experience during games and concerts through better management of traffic and crowd congestion, improved safety measures and enhanced facilities.
- Smarter Retail / Food Tracing: Consumers can gain more transparency by checking the source of food, including the location of fresh produce and its route to the supermarket aisle.
- g-Manual: This medical mobile application provides personalized information about suitable medicines, possible diseases and other helpful information based on a user's personal genome data inputted into a user's smartphone.
- Smart Home@Cloud: An intuitive digital home control solution providing intelligent security and smart metering services using just a home hub and cloud services.
- NFC Media Pole: Intelligent media poles that combine NFC with digital signage providing films, coupons, tickets, music and advertisements on NFC enabled smartphones. There will be 65 KT NFC Media Poles deployed at MWC 2014 on the Fira Gran Via.
- Pushing the telephone wire to its limits: The world's first internet solution that uses existing telephone wires to provide bi-directional transfer speeds over 200Mbp.
Together with its partners Accenture, Huawei and BMW, Vodafone M2M will demonstrate some of its key products and solutions:
- Smart Retail – See how M2M technology can create intelligent retail cabinets, enable targeted digital advertising and reduce energy cost and consumption.
- Smart City – Experience how remote surveillance, remotely controlled street lighting and water storage monitoring are enabling the Smart City.
- Automotive – Understand how M2M is shaping the future of the automotive industry with solutions for the connected car.
- Health – see How mHealth solutions are training health workers in Kenya and improving communication between patients, healthcare professionals and medical devices.
Take a City Tour
This year, the GSMA has further enhanced the Connected City experience with the introduction of a series of "Journeys through the Connected Life", themed tours through the City catering to individual interests including Smart Cities, Health, Education, Retail, Transport and Identity and Security. Through these journeys, attendees can use Connected City Guides downloaded to their smartphone or tablet to take in the experiences most relevant to them. The Connected City Guides can also be downloaded at the many NFC (Near Field Communication) Tap-n-Go Points located across Fira Gran Via.
The GSMA Connected City will be located at Stands 3A11 and 3A31 in Hall 3, Fira Gran Via and will be open during Mobile World Congress exhibition hours from Monday 24th through Thursday 27th February 2014. Please note that the City will close at 16:00 on Tuesday for a private reception.
Get Involved at Mobile World Congress 2014
Mobile World Congress will be held 24-27 February at Fira Gran Via in Barcelona. For more information on the 2014 Mobile World Congress including how to attend, exhibit or sponsor, visit www.mobileworldcongress.com. Follow developments and updates on Mobile World Congress (#MWC14) on Twitter @GSMA #Connectedcity or on Facebook www.facebook.com/mobileworldcongress.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide. Spanning more than 220 countries, the GSMA unites nearly 800 of the world's mobile operators with 250 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and Internet companies, as well as organisations in industry sectors such as financial services, healthcare, media, transport and utilities. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress and Mobile Asia Expo.
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving t...
Nov. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 440
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Nov. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 230
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, explored the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and provided a hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He examined three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. Asaf Yigal is co-founder and VP of Product at log analytics software company Logz.io. In the past, he was co-founder of social-trading platform Currensee, which...
Nov. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 253
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Nov. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 485
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Nov. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 415
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Nov. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 354
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Nov. 29, 2015 12:45 PM EST Reads: 421
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Nov. 29, 2015 12:30 PM EST Reads: 427
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 528
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 29, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 328
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Nov. 29, 2015 11:30 AM EST Reads: 276
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 29, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 203
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Nov. 29, 2015 09:45 AM EST Reads: 453
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Nov. 29, 2015 09:15 AM EST Reads: 346
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Nov. 29, 2015 08:45 AM EST Reads: 227