|By PR Newswire||
|February 17, 2014 03:01 AM EST||
LONDON, Feb. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The GSMA will unveil the Connected City at Mobile World Congress with its most ambitious and inspiring showcase yet, inviting visitors to explore a realistic city environment and experience first-hand how cutting-edge mobile products and services are improving our increasingly connected lives.
The Connected City, which attracted 15,000 visitors last year and was one of the most popular attractions at Mobile World Congress, is being brought to life by the GSMA's partners, AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, KT and Vodafone. It aims to demonstrate through interactive exhibits how intelligent mobile connections are making services in Smart Cities, education, health, transport, retail and identity and security much richer, smarter experiences. The City will also feature solutions from Accenture, Ericsson, General Motors, IBM, Huawei, Samsung and Synchronoss Technologies amongst many others.
"Mobile connectivity is shaping the world around us, enabling a wealth of valuable context-aware services that are delivered immediately to consumers and businesses," said Michael O'Hara, Chief Marketing Officer, GSMA. "The progress of connected devices and machine-to-machine communications continues unabated. This year, the Connected City is our biggest, most ambitious and most inspiring showcase yet and we invite visitors to experience how mobile technology is impacting our lives now and in the near future."
Showcasing a Range of New Experiences
The GSMA Connected City will showcase the latest mobile innovations to visitors including:
- Smart Sensing Shirts – See a team of connected basketball players from PABA (Pay d'Aix Basket) wearing the latest smart sensing sportswear to monitor and optimise performance.
- Future of the Connected Car – Explore the possibilities of automotive services through the use of augmented reality.
- Security - See how mobile devices can be the access tool for all aspects of your journey to work, including opening the doors of a concept car, the lock on your house and access to office buildings.
- Home control and monitoring - Experience unified home control and monitoring through Rich Communication Services (RCS), allowing your alarm system, thermostat and security cameras to work together.
- Healthcare - Witness how RCS can enable virtual healthcare visits, improve patient follow up and keep patient data secure, as well as enable monitoring devices to be used in the context of HD video calls.
- NFC - The Connected City will also demonstrate a range of NFC-based digital commerce solutions, highlighting applications in payment, retail, transport, mobile identity and access, among others.
GSMA Partner experiences on display in the Connected City include:
- The AT&T Drive Studio will showcase AT&T Drive, an end-to-end solution that AT&T and its contributors can provide manufacturers around the world, replicating the U.S. based Drive Studio recently opened in Atlanta. AT&T Drive is a modular global platform to help auto manufacturers deliver connected car innovations.
- Within the AT&T Drive Studio area, General Motors will display a 2014 Opel Insignia and a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, each showcasing some of the brands' upcoming connected vehicle technologies and features.
- Among the connected car innovations featured is the Sensus Connect system powered by Ericsson, which combines infotainment, navigation, and audio for a safer, more efficient driving experience.
- VoiceBox will demo conversational voice and natural language technology through navigation, media, infotainment, messaging and social features of the connected car.
- AT&T Digital Life will showcase an end-to-end solution for home automation and energy management enabling global service providers to offer a white-labeled solution. AT&T Digital Life is an all-IP, all-wireless platform solution. Digital Life International B2B Solution employs AT&T's software-as-a-service model, enabling flexibility and customization to deliver turnkey capabilities to Service Providers, allowing them to implement to serve the needs of their business.
- Clear Channel will showcase iHeartRadio, its all-in-one digital radio app, inside the connect car display. The streaming music app provides instant access to more than 1,500 live stations, create-your-own custom stations and more, right from the dashboard.
- Throughout the AT&T space Samsung will display several products including the Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy Tab2 10.1", Galaxy Tab3 7", Samsung Zoom, Accessories, and Home Sync.
- As part of the Connected City ecosystem, Synchronoss Technologies will showcase and demo technology solutions that power the connected lifestyle with Synchronoss Integrated Life™ and Synchronoss Personal Cloud™. Synchronoss Integrated Life is a cloud platform solution enabling any device to simply and quickly activate on the network and empower end users to engage with devices and network in new ways. Synchronoss Personal Cloud is an industry-leading white-labeled personal cloud solution allows mobile carriers to provide subscribers branded out-of-the-box storage and sync capabilities.
Jointly with its partner IBM, Deutsche Telekom will showcase smart solutions for M2M and the Internet of Things, including:
- Smarter Stadium: Fans can look forward to an even more exciting experience during games and concerts through better management of traffic and crowd congestion, improved safety measures and enhanced facilities.
- Smarter Retail / Food Tracing: Consumers can gain more transparency by checking the source of food, including the location of fresh produce and its route to the supermarket aisle.
- g-Manual: This medical mobile application provides personalized information about suitable medicines, possible diseases and other helpful information based on a user's personal genome data inputted into a user's smartphone.
- Smart Home@Cloud: An intuitive digital home control solution providing intelligent security and smart metering services using just a home hub and cloud services.
- NFC Media Pole: Intelligent media poles that combine NFC with digital signage providing films, coupons, tickets, music and advertisements on NFC enabled smartphones. There will be 65 KT NFC Media Poles deployed at MWC 2014 on the Fira Gran Via.
- Pushing the telephone wire to its limits: The world's first internet solution that uses existing telephone wires to provide bi-directional transfer speeds over 200Mbp.
Together with its partners Accenture, Huawei and BMW, Vodafone M2M will demonstrate some of its key products and solutions:
- Smart Retail – See how M2M technology can create intelligent retail cabinets, enable targeted digital advertising and reduce energy cost and consumption.
- Smart City – Experience how remote surveillance, remotely controlled street lighting and water storage monitoring are enabling the Smart City.
- Automotive – Understand how M2M is shaping the future of the automotive industry with solutions for the connected car.
- Health – see How mHealth solutions are training health workers in Kenya and improving communication between patients, healthcare professionals and medical devices.
Take a City Tour
This year, the GSMA has further enhanced the Connected City experience with the introduction of a series of "Journeys through the Connected Life", themed tours through the City catering to individual interests including Smart Cities, Health, Education, Retail, Transport and Identity and Security. Through these journeys, attendees can use Connected City Guides downloaded to their smartphone or tablet to take in the experiences most relevant to them. The Connected City Guides can also be downloaded at the many NFC (Near Field Communication) Tap-n-Go Points located across Fira Gran Via.
The GSMA Connected City will be located at Stands 3A11 and 3A31 in Hall 3, Fira Gran Via and will be open during Mobile World Congress exhibition hours from Monday 24th through Thursday 27th February 2014. Please note that the City will close at 16:00 on Tuesday for a private reception.
Get Involved at Mobile World Congress 2014
Mobile World Congress will be held 24-27 February at Fira Gran Via in Barcelona. For more information on the 2014 Mobile World Congress including how to attend, exhibit or sponsor, visit www.mobileworldcongress.com. Follow developments and updates on Mobile World Congress (#MWC14) on Twitter @GSMA #Connectedcity or on Facebook www.facebook.com/mobileworldcongress.
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide. Spanning more than 220 countries, the GSMA unites nearly 800 of the world's mobile operators with 250 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and Internet companies, as well as organisations in industry sectors such as financial services, healthcare, media, transport and utilities. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress and Mobile Asia Expo.
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Jul. 6, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,679
The last decade was about virtual machines, but the next one is about containers. Containers enable a service to run on any host at any time. Traditional tools are starting to show cracks because they were not designed for this level of application portability. Now is the time to look at new ways to deploy and manage applications at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Brian “Redbeard” Harrington, a principal architect at CoreOS, will examine how CoreOS helps teams run in production. Attende...
Jul. 6, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,330
The enterprise market will drive IoT device adoption over the next five years. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Greenough, an analyst at BI Intelligence, division of Business Insider, analyzed how companies will adopt IoT products and the associated cost of adopting those products. John Greenough is the lead analyst covering the Internet of Things for BI Intelligence- Business Insider’s paid research service. Numerous IoT companies have cited his analysis of the IoT. Prior to joining BI In...
Jul. 6, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 327
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ ...
Jul. 6, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 302
Containers are changing the security landscape for software development and deployment. As with any security solutions, security approaches that work for developers, operations personnel and security professionals is a requirement. In his session at DevOps Summit, Kevin Gilpin, CTO and Co-Founder of Conjur, will discuss various security considerations for container-based infrastructure and related DevOps workflows.
Jul. 6, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,620
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
Jul. 6, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 785
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jul. 6, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,964
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Infrastructure & Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS) is a managed services provider of cloud computing solutions for the IBM Power Systems market. The company helps mid-market firms built on IBM hardware platforms to deploy new levels of reliable and cost-effective computing and hig...
Jul. 6, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,766
In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Simone Brunozzi, VP and Chief Technologist of Cloud Services at VMware, reviewed the changes that the cloud computing industry has gone through over the last five years and shared insights into what the next five will bring. He also chronicled the challenges enterprise companies are facing as they move to the public cloud. He delved into the "Hybrid Cloud" space and explained why every CIO should consider ‘hybrid cloud' as part of their future strategy to achie...
Jul. 6, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,689
SYS-CON Events announced today that JFrog, maker of Artifactory, the popular Binary Repository Manager, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based in California, Israel and France, founded by longtime field-experts, JFrog, creator of Artifactory and Bintray, has provided the market with the first Binary Repository solution and a software distribution social platform.
Jul. 6, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,743
The basic integration architecture, as defined by ESBs, hasn’t changed for more than a decade. Most cloud integration providers still rely on an ESB architecture and their proprietary connectors. As a result, enterprise integration projects suffer from constraints of availability and reliability of these connectors that are not re-usable across other integration vendors. However, the rapid adoption of APIs and almost ubiquitous availability of APIs amongst most SaaS and Cloud applications are ra...
Jul. 6, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,402
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, will explore the IoT cloud-based platform technologies drivi...
Jul. 6, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,735
Agile, which started in the development organization, has gradually expanded into other areas downstream - namely IT and Operations. Teams – then teams of teams – have streamlined processes, improved feedback loops and driven a much faster pace into IT departments which have had profound effects on the entire organization. In his session at DevOps Summit, Anders Wallgren, Chief Technology Officer of Electric Cloud, will discuss how DevOps and Continuous Delivery have emerged to help connect dev...
Jul. 6, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,968
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US a...
Jul. 6, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,274
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet condit...
Jul. 6, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,086