|By PR Newswire||
|February 17, 2014 06:00 AM EST||
JACKSON, Mich., Feb. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Michigan nonprofit organizations received more than $8 million in contributions in 2013 from Consumers Energy, its employees, retirees, its Foundation and the utility's parent company, CMS Energy.
"In this extremely cold winter and all year, we work to fulfill our Promise to care for the communities we serve," said David Mengebier, Consumers Energy's senior vice president of governmental and public affairs and president of the Consumers Energy Foundation.
"Helping Michigan residents in need today creates opportunities for our state's future and supports the strategic work being done by many nonprofit organizations."
Three million dollars of the contributions in 2013 went to organizations that provide direct energy assistance to those in need, including The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW), $1.5 million; TrueNorth Community Services, $1 million; and The Salvation Army, $500,000.
The United Way also received significant support, with $1.7 million going to 58 local United Way organizations. Of that amount, $1.1 million was contributed by employees and retirees.
Other highlights of Consumers Energy's contributions in 2013:
- $2.7 million to support 994 projects, focusing on education, social welfare, community, civic and cultural development and the environment.
- $1 million to early childhood initiatives and basic needs programs from a CMS Energy donor-advised fund. Those grants included a $200,000 grant for Michigan 2-1-1, providing local matching funds to maintain the service in communities across the state.
- $221,225 to 430 nonprofit organizations on behalf of 531 employees and retirees through the Volunteer Investment Program (VIP). Organizations supported by employees and retirees with volunteer time may receive grants of $100 to $500 or more through this program.
- $11,250 to 45 nonprofit organizations on behalf of 697 employees through the Caring for Community grant program. This is a new program recognizing the efforts of teams of employees volunteering for a nonprofit organization or event.
- $110,217 of the foundation's Matching Gifts program was utilized to match employee and retiree donations for 28 higher education institutions, 15 community foundations, and 65 food banks, food pantries, and homeless shelters across the state.
"What is striking is the diversity of ways in which our employees and retirees contributed to communities throughout Michigan. Our combined efforts make a difference in communities in which our employees live, work and play," Mengebier said.
Notable 2013 grants included:
- $200,000 to Michigan State University's College of Engineering to support its residential experience program for engineering students
- $100,000 to the Community Economic Development Association of Michigan to support the Michigan Economic Impact Coalition to promote, support and build capacity for free income tax preparation services to financially vulnerable families, individuals and children in the state
- $100,000 to the Grand Action Foundation for construction of the Grand Rapids Downtown Market
- $50,000 to the Nature Conservancy – Michigan Chapter for an aquatic invasive species initiative that will benefit Michigan and all Great Lakes communities
- $50,000 to Munson Healthcare Regional Foundation for the re-routing and restoration of Kids Creek in Traverse City
- $50,000 to the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan supporting renovations of a warehouse facility in Flint
- $50,000 to Goodwill Industries of Southwest Michigan in Kalamazoo to support its Read & Seed Family Literacy Program
- $50,000 to Saginaw Valley State University for its 50th anniversary, with grants for a new sculpture garden at the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum and engineering programs supporting Great Lakes Bay area students.
- $50,000 to Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills for its "Young Scientists" program that provides science, technology, engineering and math experiences for students in the Flint Community Schools
- $50,000 to the Community Foundation for Muskegon County to support construction of a Muskegon Farmers Market in the downtown area
- $50,000 to the Michigan 4-H Foundation to support improvements at the organization's Kettunen Center in Tustin
The Consumers Energy Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Consumers Energy. It provides funding for a variety of areas including education, community, civic and cultural development, social services, the environment, and emerging issues. For more information about the foundation, go to www.ConsumersEnergy.com/foundation
Consumers Energy, Michigan's largest utility, is the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), providing natural gas and electricity to 6.6 million of the state's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
SOURCE Consumers Energy
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Nov. 28, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 470
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Nov. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 332
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
Nov. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 547
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, explored the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and provided a hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He examined three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. Asaf Yigal is co-founder and VP of Product at log analytics software company Logz.io. In the past, he was co-founder of social-trading platform Currensee, which...
Nov. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 228
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Nov. 28, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 399
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Nov. 28, 2015 11:15 AM EST Reads: 411
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 511
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 28, 2015 10:30 AM EST Reads: 308
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Nov. 28, 2015 10:15 AM EST Reads: 243
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Nov. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 395
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Nov. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 188
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 28, 2015 09:00 AM EST Reads: 178
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Nov. 28, 2015 08:45 AM EST Reads: 433
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Nov. 28, 2015 08:45 AM EST Reads: 331
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Nov. 28, 2015 07:45 AM EST Reads: 208