|By Marketwired .||
|February 21, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
NEWBURY, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 02/21/14 -- Innovations across browsers, tablets and mobile devices have left organizations with the daunting challenge of testing across innumerable device and browser combinations to find both functional and performance issues in their production of Web applications. With so many different configurations and platform releases to test, it is no surprise that this effort takes added time and cost to overcome. To help companies get back in sync with business needs and speed product delivery, Borland, a Micro Focus company (LSE: MCRO.L), today announced significant updates to the Borland Silk Portfolio -- a comprehensive set of test automation tools for cloud, web and mobile platforms so organizations can now test any application across any end user configuration faster and easier than ever.
The new release also introduces Silk Central Connect, a cross-browser testing tool that helps customers solve the challenge of supporting an almost endless variety of web and mobile browsers. It provides a virtual execution and configuration environment that can reduce testing time and effort by up to 80%.
"Customers need easy to use tools that do everything from reducing cross browser testing time, to automating manual test processes and ensuring peak performance across all application types," said Archie Roboostoff, Borland Solutions Portfolio Director at Micro Focus. "The Silk Portfolio of testing solutions brings all of that together, streamlining testing across desktop, web and mobile."
Working with existing development and testing frameworks, the Silk product family delivers more capabilities to make it easier for customers to transition from traditional application environments into more fast paced and agile web and mobile environments. It reduces time and cost through an innovative virtualized and cloud based infrastructure that brings professional test environments within reach of smaller development teams, and removes the requirement to provision additional costly hardware to complete testing cycles. The end result is a dramatically lowered effort and cost of adopting automation for both agile and traditional development teams.
The Silk family of products are seamlessly integrated to deliver additional benefits to users. The new release brings Silk Performer and Silk Test even closer together, enabling customers to leverage their existing script investment to jump start their performance testing initiatives. Customers that already have working Silk Test scripts will find it much easier to get up and running with Silk Performer. Silk Central Connect is embedded in the new update of Silk Central to allow for a seamless upgrade without the need for extra software. Silk Test has also been integrated with Silk Central Connect to harness the power of the cloud to do fast and easy cross browser testing.
Specific Silk Portfolio updates include:
- Silk Central Connect - New cloud based cross browser testing tool for web applications on a variety of browsers, without the need to buy expensive hardware. Borland provides Amazon images with various versions of Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer, which can be integrated into Silk Central Connect to quickly test across all browser types with the click of a button. To give a quick and easy view across the multitude of test results, Silk Central Connect delivers a side-by-side result comparison that ensures applications look and feel as they should across popular browser combinations. It allows customers to embrace HTML5, web and mobile developments and quickly test across a variety of platforms.
- Silk Central - Test management for agile and traditional development projects that eliminates the need to work from out of date spread sheets and documents. Silk Central gives a unified control and view of all testing activities across the organization, regardless of the tools or technology used. Updates include improved usability, an ability to import requirements from Excel to improve requirements validation and improved decision support via reporting that can be shared across groups and users.
- Silk Test - Powerful test automation that delivers cross browser and cross platform testing designed to be used by a wide variety of users without any coding. For those that prefer to write code and work in the IDE, Silk Test integrates with different IDEs including Microsoft Visual Studio and Eclipse. Updates include improved precision and speed and mobile browser support, which enables customers to use existing desktop browser scripts and run them on Android mobile devices without the need to create additional scripts. Record and replay has been made easy against any application, including mobile browser recording and configuration testing in the cloud, which eases the burden of setting up different configurations.
- Silk Performer & Silk Performer Cloudburst - Easy and cost effective performance and load testing for web 2.0, enterprise and mobile applications. Execute peak load tests in the cloud with Silk Performer CloudBurst without investing in hardware and infrastructure costs. Updates include an ability to use Silk Performer CloudBurst on internal web applications and enhanced reporting that enables customers to capture all raw measure data of a load test for full results analysis flexibility. This release also extends support for asynchronous web communication to ensure even the most advanced Web applications perform under heavy load.
- Silk Mobile - Functional testing of mobile devices across all platforms. Plug in and go, no jail breaking, just install on your PC and plug in any mobile device for automated testing. All the benefits of test automation are now delivered to native mobile applications with Silk Mobile.
- Silk WebMeter - Advanced website performance tool that tests websites globally. Free to use, lightweight and easy to use, it sends alerts when web applications are slow and non-responsive and leverages Borland's global network of servers and agents to ensure applications run 24x7.
"Our aim is to deliver a portfolio of quality products that truly offer a 'better together' end user experience," added Roboostoff. "Our integrated software quality suite ensures everyone is on the same page during the software delivery and quality process. The end result is improved collaboration, better products, faster release cycles, lowered development costs and dramatically increased end user satisfaction."
The Silk Portfolio end-to-end solution helps development organizations manage the uncertainties and risk brought about by new technology platforms and multiple devices, networks and operating systems, ensuring quality throughout the software development lifecycle.
To find out more about the Borland Silk product set visit: http://www.borland.com/connect.
Originating in 1983, Borland Software Corporation is a world-class provider of requirements, test and change management solutions. As part of Micro Focus Ltd, a member of the FTSE 250, Borland offers tools that are open, agile and work across the entire Application Development Lifecycle to enable customers to build better software, faster. For additional information please visit www.borland.com.
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,439
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,094
As companies gain momentum, the need to maintain high quality products can outstrip their development team’s bandwidth for QA. Building out a large QA team (whether in-house or outsourced) can slow down development and significantly increases costs. This eBook takes QA profiles from 5 companies who successfully scaled up production without building a large QA team and includes: What to consider when choosing CI/CD tools How culture and communication can make or break implementation
Jul. 28, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,715
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 28, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,701
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Jul. 28, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 369
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 28, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,229
"We view the cloud not really as a specific technology but as a way of doing business and that way of doing business is transforming the way software, infrastructure and services are being delivered to business," explained Matthew Rosen, CEO and Director at Fusion, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,635
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,661
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Jul. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 955
Organizations planning enterprise data center consolidation and modernization projects are faced with a challenging, costly reality. Requirements to deploy modern, cloud-native applications simultaneously with traditional client/server applications are almost impossible to achieve with hardware-centric enterprise infrastructure. Compute and network infrastructure are fast moving down a software-defined path, but storage has been a laggard. Until now.
Jul. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,865
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,214
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Jul. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 432
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,191
SYS-CON Events announced today the Kubernetes and Google Container Engine Workshop, being held November 3, 2016, in conjunction with @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele introduces participants to Kubernetes and Google Container Engine (GKE). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, students learn the key concepts and practices for deploying and maintainin...
Jul. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 916
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,780