|By Marketwired .||
|February 21, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
NEWBURY, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 02/21/14 -- Innovations across browsers, tablets and mobile devices have left organizations with the daunting challenge of testing across innumerable device and browser combinations to find both functional and performance issues in their production of Web applications. With so many different configurations and platform releases to test, it is no surprise that this effort takes added time and cost to overcome. To help companies get back in sync with business needs and speed product delivery, Borland, a Micro Focus company (LSE: MCRO.L), today announced significant updates to the Borland Silk Portfolio -- a comprehensive set of test automation tools for cloud, web and mobile platforms so organizations can now test any application across any end user configuration faster and easier than ever.
The new release also introduces Silk Central Connect, a cross-browser testing tool that helps customers solve the challenge of supporting an almost endless variety of web and mobile browsers. It provides a virtual execution and configuration environment that can reduce testing time and effort by up to 80%.
"Customers need easy to use tools that do everything from reducing cross browser testing time, to automating manual test processes and ensuring peak performance across all application types," said Archie Roboostoff, Borland Solutions Portfolio Director at Micro Focus. "The Silk Portfolio of testing solutions brings all of that together, streamlining testing across desktop, web and mobile."
Working with existing development and testing frameworks, the Silk product family delivers more capabilities to make it easier for customers to transition from traditional application environments into more fast paced and agile web and mobile environments. It reduces time and cost through an innovative virtualized and cloud based infrastructure that brings professional test environments within reach of smaller development teams, and removes the requirement to provision additional costly hardware to complete testing cycles. The end result is a dramatically lowered effort and cost of adopting automation for both agile and traditional development teams.
The Silk family of products are seamlessly integrated to deliver additional benefits to users. The new release brings Silk Performer and Silk Test even closer together, enabling customers to leverage their existing script investment to jump start their performance testing initiatives. Customers that already have working Silk Test scripts will find it much easier to get up and running with Silk Performer. Silk Central Connect is embedded in the new update of Silk Central to allow for a seamless upgrade without the need for extra software. Silk Test has also been integrated with Silk Central Connect to harness the power of the cloud to do fast and easy cross browser testing.
Specific Silk Portfolio updates include:
- Silk Central Connect - New cloud based cross browser testing tool for web applications on a variety of browsers, without the need to buy expensive hardware. Borland provides Amazon images with various versions of Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer, which can be integrated into Silk Central Connect to quickly test across all browser types with the click of a button. To give a quick and easy view across the multitude of test results, Silk Central Connect delivers a side-by-side result comparison that ensures applications look and feel as they should across popular browser combinations. It allows customers to embrace HTML5, web and mobile developments and quickly test across a variety of platforms.
- Silk Central - Test management for agile and traditional development projects that eliminates the need to work from out of date spread sheets and documents. Silk Central gives a unified control and view of all testing activities across the organization, regardless of the tools or technology used. Updates include improved usability, an ability to import requirements from Excel to improve requirements validation and improved decision support via reporting that can be shared across groups and users.
- Silk Test - Powerful test automation that delivers cross browser and cross platform testing designed to be used by a wide variety of users without any coding. For those that prefer to write code and work in the IDE, Silk Test integrates with different IDEs including Microsoft Visual Studio and Eclipse. Updates include improved precision and speed and mobile browser support, which enables customers to use existing desktop browser scripts and run them on Android mobile devices without the need to create additional scripts. Record and replay has been made easy against any application, including mobile browser recording and configuration testing in the cloud, which eases the burden of setting up different configurations.
- Silk Performer & Silk Performer Cloudburst - Easy and cost effective performance and load testing for web 2.0, enterprise and mobile applications. Execute peak load tests in the cloud with Silk Performer CloudBurst without investing in hardware and infrastructure costs. Updates include an ability to use Silk Performer CloudBurst on internal web applications and enhanced reporting that enables customers to capture all raw measure data of a load test for full results analysis flexibility. This release also extends support for asynchronous web communication to ensure even the most advanced Web applications perform under heavy load.
- Silk Mobile - Functional testing of mobile devices across all platforms. Plug in and go, no jail breaking, just install on your PC and plug in any mobile device for automated testing. All the benefits of test automation are now delivered to native mobile applications with Silk Mobile.
- Silk WebMeter - Advanced website performance tool that tests websites globally. Free to use, lightweight and easy to use, it sends alerts when web applications are slow and non-responsive and leverages Borland's global network of servers and agents to ensure applications run 24x7.
"Our aim is to deliver a portfolio of quality products that truly offer a 'better together' end user experience," added Roboostoff. "Our integrated software quality suite ensures everyone is on the same page during the software delivery and quality process. The end result is improved collaboration, better products, faster release cycles, lowered development costs and dramatically increased end user satisfaction."
The Silk Portfolio end-to-end solution helps development organizations manage the uncertainties and risk brought about by new technology platforms and multiple devices, networks and operating systems, ensuring quality throughout the software development lifecycle.
To find out more about the Borland Silk product set visit: http://www.borland.com/connect.
Originating in 1983, Borland Software Corporation is a world-class provider of requirements, test and change management solutions. As part of Micro Focus Ltd, a member of the FTSE 250, Borland offers tools that are open, agile and work across the entire Application Development Lifecycle to enable customers to build better software, faster. For additional information please visit www.borland.com.
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Dec. 11, 2016 03:30 AM EST Reads: 1,114
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Dec. 11, 2016 03:00 AM EST Reads: 787
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, discussed recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model for s...
Dec. 11, 2016 02:45 AM EST Reads: 902
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 11, 2016 02:45 AM EST Reads: 1,801
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 11, 2016 02:30 AM EST Reads: 1,051
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 11, 2016 02:30 AM EST Reads: 1,295
"We are a custom software development, engineering firm. We specialize in cloud applications from helping customers that have on-premise applications migrating to the cloud, to helping customers design brand new apps in the cloud. And we specialize in mobile apps," explained Peter Di Stefano, Vice President of Marketing at Impiger Technologies, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 11, 2016 01:45 AM EST Reads: 745
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 11, 2016 01:45 AM EST Reads: 4,051
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Dec. 11, 2016 01:30 AM EST Reads: 1,751
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 11, 2016 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,335
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 11, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,400
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and sh...
Dec. 11, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 941
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 11, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,131
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,223
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Dec. 10, 2016 10:15 PM EST Reads: 2,076