|By Marketwired .||
|February 21, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
NEWBURY, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 02/21/14 -- Innovations across browsers, tablets and mobile devices have left organizations with the daunting challenge of testing across innumerable device and browser combinations to find both functional and performance issues in their production of Web applications. With so many different configurations and platform releases to test, it is no surprise that this effort takes added time and cost to overcome. To help companies get back in sync with business needs and speed product delivery, Borland, a Micro Focus company (LSE: MCRO.L), today announced significant updates to the Borland Silk Portfolio -- a comprehensive set of test automation tools for cloud, web and mobile platforms so organizations can now test any application across any end user configuration faster and easier than ever.
The new release also introduces Silk Central Connect, a cross-browser testing tool that helps customers solve the challenge of supporting an almost endless variety of web and mobile browsers. It provides a virtual execution and configuration environment that can reduce testing time and effort by up to 80%.
"Customers need easy to use tools that do everything from reducing cross browser testing time, to automating manual test processes and ensuring peak performance across all application types," said Archie Roboostoff, Borland Solutions Portfolio Director at Micro Focus. "The Silk Portfolio of testing solutions brings all of that together, streamlining testing across desktop, web and mobile."
Working with existing development and testing frameworks, the Silk product family delivers more capabilities to make it easier for customers to transition from traditional application environments into more fast paced and agile web and mobile environments. It reduces time and cost through an innovative virtualized and cloud based infrastructure that brings professional test environments within reach of smaller development teams, and removes the requirement to provision additional costly hardware to complete testing cycles. The end result is a dramatically lowered effort and cost of adopting automation for both agile and traditional development teams.
The Silk family of products are seamlessly integrated to deliver additional benefits to users. The new release brings Silk Performer and Silk Test even closer together, enabling customers to leverage their existing script investment to jump start their performance testing initiatives. Customers that already have working Silk Test scripts will find it much easier to get up and running with Silk Performer. Silk Central Connect is embedded in the new update of Silk Central to allow for a seamless upgrade without the need for extra software. Silk Test has also been integrated with Silk Central Connect to harness the power of the cloud to do fast and easy cross browser testing.
Specific Silk Portfolio updates include:
- Silk Central Connect - New cloud based cross browser testing tool for web applications on a variety of browsers, without the need to buy expensive hardware. Borland provides Amazon images with various versions of Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer, which can be integrated into Silk Central Connect to quickly test across all browser types with the click of a button. To give a quick and easy view across the multitude of test results, Silk Central Connect delivers a side-by-side result comparison that ensures applications look and feel as they should across popular browser combinations. It allows customers to embrace HTML5, web and mobile developments and quickly test across a variety of platforms.
- Silk Central - Test management for agile and traditional development projects that eliminates the need to work from out of date spread sheets and documents. Silk Central gives a unified control and view of all testing activities across the organization, regardless of the tools or technology used. Updates include improved usability, an ability to import requirements from Excel to improve requirements validation and improved decision support via reporting that can be shared across groups and users.
- Silk Test - Powerful test automation that delivers cross browser and cross platform testing designed to be used by a wide variety of users without any coding. For those that prefer to write code and work in the IDE, Silk Test integrates with different IDEs including Microsoft Visual Studio and Eclipse. Updates include improved precision and speed and mobile browser support, which enables customers to use existing desktop browser scripts and run them on Android mobile devices without the need to create additional scripts. Record and replay has been made easy against any application, including mobile browser recording and configuration testing in the cloud, which eases the burden of setting up different configurations.
- Silk Performer & Silk Performer Cloudburst - Easy and cost effective performance and load testing for web 2.0, enterprise and mobile applications. Execute peak load tests in the cloud with Silk Performer CloudBurst without investing in hardware and infrastructure costs. Updates include an ability to use Silk Performer CloudBurst on internal web applications and enhanced reporting that enables customers to capture all raw measure data of a load test for full results analysis flexibility. This release also extends support for asynchronous web communication to ensure even the most advanced Web applications perform under heavy load.
- Silk Mobile - Functional testing of mobile devices across all platforms. Plug in and go, no jail breaking, just install on your PC and plug in any mobile device for automated testing. All the benefits of test automation are now delivered to native mobile applications with Silk Mobile.
- Silk WebMeter - Advanced website performance tool that tests websites globally. Free to use, lightweight and easy to use, it sends alerts when web applications are slow and non-responsive and leverages Borland's global network of servers and agents to ensure applications run 24x7.
"Our aim is to deliver a portfolio of quality products that truly offer a 'better together' end user experience," added Roboostoff. "Our integrated software quality suite ensures everyone is on the same page during the software delivery and quality process. The end result is improved collaboration, better products, faster release cycles, lowered development costs and dramatically increased end user satisfaction."
The Silk Portfolio end-to-end solution helps development organizations manage the uncertainties and risk brought about by new technology platforms and multiple devices, networks and operating systems, ensuring quality throughout the software development lifecycle.
To find out more about the Borland Silk product set visit: http://www.borland.com/connect.
Originating in 1983, Borland Software Corporation is a world-class provider of requirements, test and change management solutions. As part of Micro Focus Ltd, a member of the FTSE 250, Borland offers tools that are open, agile and work across the entire Application Development Lifecycle to enable customers to build better software, faster. For additional information please visit www.borland.com.
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,075
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,204
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Sep. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,387
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,091
Apache Hadoop is a key technology for gaining business insights from your Big Data, but the penetration into enterprises is shockingly low. In fact, Apache Hadoop and Big Data proponents recognize that this technology has not yet achieved its game-changing business potential. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, John Mertic, director of program management for ODPi at The Linux Foundation, will explain why this is, how we can work together as an open data community to increase adoption, and the i...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,062
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Sep. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,159
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interface Masters Technologies, a leader in Network Visibility and Uptime Solutions, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Interface Masters Technologies is a leading vendor in the network monitoring and high speed networking markets. Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Interface Masters' expertise lies in Gigabit, 10 Gigabit and 40 Gigabit Eth...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,637
DevOps and microservices are permeating software engineering teams broadly, whether these teams are in pure software shops but happen to run a business, such Uber and Airbnb, or in companies that rely heavily on software to run more traditional business, such as financial firms or high-end manufacturers. Microservices and DevOps have created software development and therefore business speed and agility benefits, but they have also created problems; specifically, they have created software sec...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,275
Much of the value of DevOps comes from a (renewed) focus on measurement, sharing, and continuous feedback loops. In increasingly complex DevOps workflows and environments, and especially in larger, regulated, or more crystallized organizations, these core concepts become even more critical. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Andi Mann, Chief Technology Advocate at Splunk, showed how, by focusing on 'metrics that matter,' you can provide objective, transparent, and meaningful f...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,751
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,842
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Sep. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,128
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,549
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,202
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kausik Sridharabalan, founder and CTO of Pulzze Systems, Inc., will focus on key challenges in building an Internet of Things solution infrastructure. He will shed light on efficient ways of defining interactions within IoT solutions, leading to cost and time reduction. He will also introduce ways to handle data and how one can develop IoT solutions that are lean, flexible and configurable, thus making IoT infrastructure agile and scalable.
Sep. 28, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,572