|By PR Newswire||
|February 21, 2014 12:59 PM EST||
CHESAPEAKE, Va., Feb. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Cox Communications awarded $160,000 in grants to 25 non-profit organizations in Virginia through Cox Charities grants programs. The grants presented today are part of the nearly $8 million Cox contributes annually through cash and in-kind support to the communities where they do business.
"Connecting with the communities we serve is an important part of our operations and is at the core of our company values," said Gary McCollum, senior vice president and general manager for Cox Virginia. "We're proud to give back to these 25 outstanding organizations today that are doing their part to enhance the lives of others and improve the places our employees and customers live and work."
Fifteen nonprofits received grants through the Cox Charities External Grants program and ten received grants through the Cox Charities Employee Grants program. The External Grants program focuses on non-profit organizations with programs specifically tied to youth, education and technology. Non-profits apply for these annual grants and from those applications, 15 are chosen statewide by an advisory committee made up of community, business and government leaders throughout the state. The Cox Charities Employee Grants program gives Cox employees the chance to nominate their favorite nonprofits for financial support. Winners are chosen by Cox employees, based on popular vote. This year's winners are:
- Horizons Hampton Roads was awarded a $10,000 grant to grow the Portsmouth program by adding one grade level each year, leading to improved educational outcomes and employment opportunities in the city of Portsmouth. This program will now able to serve 375 students in 2014.
- Chesapeake Health Investment Program was awarded a $10,000 grant to fund the Parents as Teachers program, which provides information, support and encouragement to parents to help their children develop optimally during the crucial early years of life.
- YWCA South Hampton Roads received a $10,000 grant for the purchase of 20 iPad Minis to be used as a means to enhance the teaching and learning outcomes among students enrolled in the afterschool program.
- Norfolk State University Foundation, Inc. was awarded a $10,000 grant to fund the NSU After School Youth Education Program, which will provide academic support in the form of tutoring and mentoring coupled with recreational activities. This program will foster basic skills in math, writing, science and reading.
- Office of Human Affairs Hampton Roads was awarded a $10,000 grant to fund the OHA Project Discovery which is a college preparation program serving at-risk middle and high school students in Hampton and Newport News.
- Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula was awarded a $10,000 grant to fund the Kids Café. This structured after-school program will provide nutritious meals and promote health, education and safety.
- C. Waldo Scott Center for H.O.P.E received a $10,000 grant to fund a program that will assist 50 youth in strengthening their math, science, and reading skills. By implementing educational skill based sessions they will encourage students to be successful learners.
- Employee Grants in the amount of $2,000 each were awarded to:
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation - The goal of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation is to Save the Bay - and keep it saved – through education, advocacy, litigation and restoration.
- Kempsville Church of Christ – Go Project - The Kempsville Church of Christ Go Project focuses on local and global ministry projects, made possible through family and friends serving together for a common good.
- Downtown Hampton Child Development Center - The Downtown Hampton Child Development Center is a private, nonprofit childcare center serving children from all backgrounds, incomes and abilities. Each day, the Center nurtures and educates nearly 200 children, from 6weeks old to 5 years old.
- Peninsula School for Autism - Peninsula School for Autism offers individualized educational and behavior support programming in year-round day school and after-school programs.
- Fairfax County Park Foundation was awarded $5,000 to support HACAN (Hispanics Against Child Abuse and Neglect. This 20-year program focuses on education for students in the Culmore community of Bailey's Crossroads, Falls Church, VA. This program fosters educational enhancements, building positive connections within the community and connecting with role models.
- Literacy Council of Northern Virginia was awarded a $10,000 grant in support of the Family Learning Program. This program is specifically designed for the unique needs of immigrant families, focused on breaking the inter-generational cycle of illiteracy and improving livelihood through reading and comprehension.
- Children's Science Center Museum was awarded $10,000 to support the Children's Science Center's Museum Without Walls (MWOW) education outreach program. This grant will support Mobile Labs Family Science Nights, summer mini-labs, community and signature events, as well as preschool and teen programming.
- Northern Virginia Family Services received a $10,000 grant in support of the 1-2-1 mentoring program designed to enhance the self-esteem and resilience of middle school aged youth. Through the 1-2-1 program, NVFS is able to reach at-risk students to improve their social and academic skills.
- Stafford Junction was awarded a $10,000 grant to fund Brain Builders – an after school program that fosters academic achievement and positive character development and healthy lifestyles. At Brain Builders, students receive help with homework, math and reading skills, and assistance with school projects.
- Employee Grants in the amount of $2,000 each were awarded to:
- CrisisLink - Crisis Link provides comprehensive crisis prevention, intervention and response programs and now partners with national and state programs to improve its services, including the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- Friends of Homeless Animals – Friends of Homeless Animals (FOHA) is a non-profit, no-kill shelter that focuses on the rescue and placement of homeless dogs and cats in the Northern Virginia and Washington DC area.
- Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation - Since 2001, Lost Dog and Cat Rescue has saved the lives of thousands of homeless and abandoned pets from euthanasia in overcrowded shelters by placing them for adoption in loving homes.
- Smart Beginnings Greater Roanoke was awarded a $10,000 grant to fund programs focused on improving the quality of care and early childhood education to ensure every child in the Roanoke Valley enters Kindergarten with the skills necessary to succeed.
- The Community Youth Program at St. Johns, Inc. was awarded a $5,000 grant to fund the CYP Computer Literacy Program that will help increase access to technology and internet resources for students and their families. CYP will also to help educate our students on how to use computers, social media, and other technological programs that will help advance them in school and life.
- Child Health Investment Partnership of Roanoke Valley was awarded a $10,000 Cox Charities grant to fund CHIP FIT, a program addressing the growing epidemic of childhood obesity in the Greater Roanoke Valley's low-income population. This program includes a unique, home visiting intervention focusing on education and case management and seeks to address causative factors and increase protective factors among families.
- Employee Grants in the amount of $2,000 each were awarded to:
- Blue Ridge Independent Living Center - The Blue Ridge Independent Living Center assists people with disabilities to live independently.
- National PKU Alliance - The mission of the Blue Ridge Autism and Achievement Center is to provide education and services for children and families affected by autism and unique learning challenges, such as Learning Disabilities.
- Blue Ridge Autism and Achievement Center - The National PKU Alliance works to improve the lives of families and individuals associated with PKU through research, support, education and advocacy, while ultimately seeking a cure for this rare metabolic disease.
"We know that our employees are active in their communities and there are organizations they feel passionate about," said McCollum. "The Employee Grants program gives our employees an opportunity to actively participate in Cox's community programs and introduce their peers to organizations that mean the most to them."
Since 2009, Cox Charities has awarded $620,000 in grant funds to Cox communities throughout Virginia.
For more information on the 2014 grant awards program and how to apply for a grant, visit www.coxcharities.org.
Emma Inman, APR, 757-222-8432 or [email protected]
About Cox Communications:
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet and telephone services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable TV company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and businesses. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and new media advertising.
Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in cable, telephone and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. For seven years, Cox has been recognized as the top operator for women by Women in Cable Telecommunications; Cox has ranked among DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity eight times, including the last seven years. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
SOURCE Cox Communications
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 25, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,509
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 25, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 410
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 24, 2017 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 582
Historically, some banking activities such as trading have been relying heavily on analytics and cutting edge algorithmic tools. The coming of age of powerful data analytics solutions combined with the development of intelligent algorithms have created new opportunities for financial institutions. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sebastien Meunier, Head of Digital for North America at Chappuis Halder & Co., will discuss how these tools can be leveraged to develop a lasting competitive advanta...
Mar. 24, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,479
TechTarget storage websites are the best online information resource for news, tips and expert advice for the storage, backup and disaster recovery markets. By creating abundant, high-quality editorial content across more than 140 highly targeted technology-specific websites, TechTarget attracts and nurtures communities of technology buyers researching their companies' information technology needs. By understanding these buyers' content consumption behaviors, TechTarget creates the purchase inte...
Mar. 24, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,132
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 24, 2017 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,866
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 278
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 24, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,611
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 24, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,112
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 24, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,295
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 24, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,769
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,264
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,035
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 524
VeriStor Systems has announced that CRN has named VeriStor to its 2017 Managed Service Provider (MSP) 500 list in the Elite 150 category. This annual list recognizes North American solution providers with cutting-edge approaches to delivering managed services. Their offerings help companies navigate the complex and ever-changing landscape of IT, improve operational efficiencies, and maximize their return on IT investments. In today’s fast-paced business environments, MSPs play an important role...
Mar. 24, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,112