|By Business Wire||
|February 24, 2014 12:03 AM EST||
MasterCard (NYSE:MA) and PRIME Research today released the second annual global MasterCard Mobile Payments Study, which tracked more than 13 million social media comments across Twitter, Facebook, online blogs and forums around the world. The study shows improved sentiment toward mobile payments and rapid growth in consumer use and merchant acceptance. Merchants carry an 88 percent positive rating with many touting mobile acceptance as a competitive advantage. As consumers increasingly turn to mobile options, merchants reluctant to accept these payments may find themselves at a disadvantage.
The research points to 2013 as the year mobile payments transitioned from “concept to adoption.” “Adopters,” or those who have used mobile payments, drove 81 percent of conversations in 2013. This finding is a reversal from 2012 when only 32 percent of those discussing mobile payments had used a product. While security concerns around mobile payments still exist, the study demonstrates that consumers and merchants have moved from “why use mobile payments?” to “which mobile payment option should be used?” In fact, 2014 may be the year when long-term mobile brand and shopping allegiances are formed, which means those considering mobile payments may be well served by getting on board.
Consumers Adopt Mobile Payment Solutions:
- Adoption In, Confusion Out: Confusion over mobile payment options found in the 2012 study has been replaced by discussions focusing on the quality and staying power of various products. The research shows consumers have moved from questioning whether to use mobile payments (the third most discussed topic in 2012) to deciding which mobile payments option to use (the second most discussed topic in 2013).
- Significant Conversation Changes: Adopters now drive most of the conversation (81 percent). Non-Adopters drove 68 percent of the conversations in 2012. This indicates that consumers have shifted from discussing mobile payments to trying out various options.
- More Positive Conversations: Sentiment towards mobile payments improved significantly among Adopters (74 percent in 2013, 58 percent in 2012). Non-Adopters remained positive (79 percent in 2013, 76 percent in 2012). This demonstrates that the user experience, technical quality and acceptance network are improving for consumers.
- Experience Improving but More can be Done: Consumer sentiment towards the transaction experience improved (63 percent in 2013 from 34 percent in 2012). The experience, however, still remains an opportunity for improvement as it ranks as high as a frustration point for users.
Momentum for Merchants:
- Acceptance Matters: Merchant acceptance is the most visible topic, generating 15 percent of the total conversation and 48 percent of merchant conversation specifically. The research shows that both consumers and merchants are supportive of mobile payments (86 percent), which will likely lead to more merchant adoption in 2014. In fact, merchant availability went from a barrier to entry for non-adopters in 2012 to the most often discussed positive topic overall in 2013.
- Merchant Engagement: Merchants account for 22 percent of conversations and carry an 88 percent positive sentiment rate. The research found nearly 90 percent of merchant conversations are driven by those who have implemented mobile solutions. Non-adopting merchants are predominantly turning to social media to seek mobile payments advice from other merchants.
- Convenient Solution: Merchants accepting mobile payments tout convenience as a key driver with a 97 percent positive/neutral rating. The research indicates merchants are discussing the benefits of mobile payments for both themselves and consumers in many cases as a differentiator for their business.
More Security Information is Needed:
- Confusion over Security: Consumer education efforts will be critical to the success and adoption of mobile payments. Questions about security led to a negative rating of 66 percent.
- Opportunity for Education: Despite robust security, confusion exists on how mobile technology will affect processes to reverse fraudulent and unauthorized charges. Consumers using MasterCard for mobile payments are protected from fraudulent purchases through MasterCard’s zero liability policy.
MasterCard Mobile Payments Powered by MasterPass™
MasterPass, MasterCard’s digital service, simplifies purchases made from connected devices including PCs, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can conveniently and securely store MasterCard and other branded credit, debit and prepaid card information – including products from Visa, American Express, Discover and others – address books and more. This simplifies the process of completing a transaction from any connected device, particularly those with smaller screens.
MasterPass is accepted by more than 30,000 merchants including J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Orvis, Live Nation-Ticketmaster and Singapore Airlines. It is available in Australia, Canada, Italy, United Kingdom and United States, and, in the near future, will expand to Belgium, Brazil, China, France, Italy, Israel, Netherlands, Singapore and Spain among others.
About the Study
PRIME Research conducted the Mobile Payments Study across 56 markets and 26 languages in North and South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Pacific Rim to assess people’s use of products, adoption willingness and sentiment toward existing options. Using PRIME’s proprietary social media analytics methods and technology, the research firm identified 13 million relevant social media posts from March 2013 to December 2013 on the subject of mobile payment innovation in the context of MasterCard and its industry peers; sentiment analysis shows the majority of posts were driven by news-story sharing 92% positive/factual, only 8% negative tone overall which is a reflection of the original content as it appeared in traditional news outlets. Within the 13 million posts, 5000 more substantive comments were subjected to PRIME Research’s more granular expert human-content analysis.
About PRIME Research
PRIME Research, www.prime-research.com, provides research-based corporate and brand reputation counseling based on trends uncovered through social and traditional media content analysis. The firm, with offices around the world, marries the speed and consistency of technology with the insights and local cultural sensitivity derived from its international staff of 600 analysts and consultants.
MasterCard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MasterCardNews, join the discussion on the Cashless Pioneers Blog and subscribe for the latest news on the Engagement Bureau.
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 6,178
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 3,178
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Feb. 20, 2017 10:15 PM EST Reads: 5,891
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Feb. 20, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 4,476
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 20, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 870
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Feb. 20, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,308
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Feb. 20, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,483
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 20, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 8,214
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 20, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 986
Wooed by the promise of faster innovation, lower TCO, and greater agility, businesses of every shape and size have embraced the cloud at every layer of the IT stack – from apps to file sharing to infrastructure. The typical organization currently uses more than a dozen sanctioned cloud apps and will shift more than half of all workloads to the cloud by 2018. Such cloud investments have delivered measurable benefits. But they’ve also resulted in some unintended side-effects: complexity and risk. ...
Feb. 20, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 800
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 494
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 3,898
When you focus on a journey from up-close, you look at your own technical and cultural history and how you changed it for the benefit of the customer. This was our starting point: too many integration issues, 13 SWP days and very long cycles. It was evident that in this fast-paced industry we could no longer afford this reality. We needed something that would take us beyond reducing the development lifecycles, CI and Agile methodologies. We made a fundamental difference, even changed our culture...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 2,243
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 20, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 960
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 20, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 476