|By PR Newswire||
|February 24, 2014 05:00 AM EST||
ALISO VIEJO, Calif., Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Global Genes (globalgenes.org), a leading patient advocacy organization representing the rare and genetic disease community, is once again inviting industry partners, patients, caregivers, family and friends of the tens of millions of people who suffer from rare and genetic diseases to Wear That You Care™ and support the seventh annual World Rare Disease Day on Friday, February 28, 2014.
The Wear That You Care™ campaign was launched by Global Genes in 2010 to increase awareness of the 7,000 known rare and genetic diseases affecting approximately 250 million people globally. All across the world people can show their support for the rare and genetic disease community by wearing the Blue Denim Genes Ribbon™ and their favorite pair of jeans on World Rare Disease Day.
"Numerous volunteers have been gathering at our headquarters over the past several months to make hundreds of thousands of Blue Denim Genes Ribbons™ that we have now distributed to advocates and foundations in over 25 countries for Rare Disease Day events," said Andrea Epstein, Executive Director, Global Genes. "Each year our program expands as advocates from communities across the globe help spread awareness of rare and genetic diseases as one of the largest global health challenges."
This year's World Rare Disease Day theme, "Join Together for Better Care," encourages the rare disease community to continue finding ways to work together to provide care for people living with rare diseases.
As part of the Wear That You Care ™ campaign, numerous companies are supporting the program by allowing employees to wear jeans to work on Rare Disease Day. Employees are also contributing donations towards Global Genes to support expanding the ribbon program. Many organizations and patient advocates are also organizing private, public and social media events to increase awareness for rare and genetic diseases in their local communities. Some of these events include:
- In Aliso Viejo, CA, Ambry Genetics will host a CEU approved rare disease awareness webinar for clinicians, genetic counselors and allied health professionals, where Global Genes will be participating as one of three speakers in the program
- In Orange, CA, Children's Hospital of Orange County will hold an awareness event that includes on-site informational resources for parents of children with rare diseases
- In Claremont, CA, Keck Graduate Institute will host their annual World Rare Day panel, with this year's topic entitled, "Raising Awareness of Orphan Drugs for Rare Diseases." Global Genes will also be represented on this year's panel
- In La Jolla, CA, Sanford Burnham Medical Institute will hold their 5th annual Rare Disease Day Symposium where Global Genes representatives will be providing informational resources
- In Henderson, Nevada, the 4th annual Little Miss Hannah's "Jeans for Genes Day" school awareness event will be held. Elementary school students will receive an age-appropriate education on the genetics of rare disease and show their compassion by creating personalized cards of "hope."
- In Wynnewood, PA, Penn Wynne Elementary School will hold a Wear That You Care™ event for the second year in a row. Students and faculty will be wearing blue and/or denim in support of those affected by or living with rare diseases
- In Bethesda, MD, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will celebrate World Rare Disease Day with a day-long celebration. The event will be held in the Masur Auditorium (Building 10) from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Attendance is free and open to the public. NIH encourages all attendees to wear their favorite pair of jeans as part of the Wear That You Care™ awareness campaign
- On Facebook, advocates will be participating in a social media Wear That You Care™ awareness campaign by changing their profile and timeline pictures to "I Love Someone Who Is Rare"
- On a national level, supporters can tune in to Lifetime TV's The Balancing Act on February 28th at 7am ET/PT to see Global Genes President and Founder Nicole Boice and Blog Managing Editor, Ilana Jacqueline on Behind the Mystery: Rare and Genetic series. The show will discuss the prevalence of rare diseases and give patients and advocates ideas on what they can do to search for treatments for their conditions
- For a list of other World Rare Disease events by State, visit http://globalgenes.org/2014-world-rare-disease-day-community-events/
In Washington DC, Global Genes partner Rare Disease Legislative Advocates (RDLA) will hold numerous awareness events between February 25th – February 28th including their annual conference and lobby day that brings together hundreds of rare disease patient and parent advocates. Events include:
Tuesday, February 25th
- Legislative Conference at the National Press Club, 529 14th Street NW, Washington, DC
- 8:15 am – 9:00 am: Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 3:30 pm: General Session, lunch included
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm: SoapBox Meeting Schedule overview
- RDLA's 4th annual rare disease documentary screening and cocktail reception. This year's event will feature Life According to Sam, an HBO documentary about Sam Berns, a charismatic and inspirational teenager who recently died from Progeria, a rare genetic condition that accelerates the aging process. Event begins at 5:30 pm at Carnegie Institution of Science, 1530 P Street Northwest, Washington DC
Wednesday, February 26th
Rare and genetic disease advocates from all over the United States will participate in Rare Disease Lobby Day on Wednesday, Feb. 26
- 7:00 am - 8:30 am: Training Breakfast at Top of the Hill, Reserve Officers Association, One Constitution Avenue, NE, Washington DC
- 9:00 am – 5:00 pm: Capitol Hill Meetings with Members of Congress & Congressional Staff
Thursday, February 27
- 8:00 am – 10:30 am: EveryLife Foundation for Rare Diseases Workshop for Patient Advocates. Topics include FDA Regulatory Law & Policy. 8:00 am – 10:30 am Embassy of Greece, 2217 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC
- Rare Disease Congressional Caucus Briefing from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm, Capitol Visitors Center, Room: HVC – 201. http://rareadvocates.org/feb-27th-caucus-briefing/
- Global Genes Networking Reception from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm at Darlington House, 1610 20th Street NW, Washington, DC. Space is limited. RSVP required. Contact Carrie Ostrea, Global Genes Advocacy Director via email at [email protected]
About Global Genes
Global Genes is a leading rare and genetic disease patient advocacy organization. The organization mission is to 'Eliminate the Challenges of Rare Disease', by equipping patients to become successful advocates, and through education and empowerment, become 'activists' for their disease. Global Genes does this through a growing portfolio of educational tools and resources, events, building out critical connections and funding innovations in science and technology that will impact patients within their lifetime. Recognized worldwide by the Blue Denim Genes Ribbon™, Global Genes unites experts, advocates and patients of all ages to stand together in hope for treatments and cures for the estimated 7,000 rare and genetic diseases that impact approximately 30 million Americans and over 250 million people worldwide. For more information about Global Genes, please visit the following links:
- Web: http://globalgenes.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/globalgenesproject?ref=br_tf
- Twitter: @GlobalGenes - https://twitter.com/GlobalGenes
SOURCE Global Genes
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of I...
Aug. 30, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 381
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Aug. 30, 2015 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 488
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ET...
Aug. 30, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 115
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Aug. 30, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 517
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Aug. 30, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 384
In their Live Hack” presentation at 17th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty and Paul Fletcher, Chief Security Evangelists at Alert Logic, will provide the audience with a chance to see a live demonstration of the common tools cyber attackers use to attack cloud and traditional IT systems. This “Live Hack” uses open source attack tools that are free and available for download by anybody. Attendees will learn where to find and how to operate these tools for the purpose of testing their own IT infrastructu...
Aug. 30, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 389
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 207
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 383
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 428
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 471
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 429
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 29, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 323
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 378
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Aug. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 329
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 149