|By Business Wire||
|February 24, 2014 12:58 PM EST||
The Bosch Community Fund (BCF), in conjunction with leadership at Bosch’s New Richmond and Shell Lake, Wis., facilities, today awarded nearly $45,000 to two school districts to support nine projects, all of which are designed to allow students to apply their learning in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in hands-on, experiential settings.
Today’s announcement continues the work that the BCF began about two years ago wherein it works collaboratively with the communities in which Bosch does business to support various educational and community groups who seek to advance STEM education and environmental sustainability.
“Bosch is very proud to make these grant awards,” said George Berg, commercial director of Bosch Packaging and lead for the New Richmond and Shell Lake Community Service teams. “The caliber of the projects that the communities submitted was really terrific. In reading their grant requests, we could see that considerable thought was put into the proposals. Clearly, those who submitted the proposals understand that learning goes far beyond the four walls of the traditional classroom setting. They want to engage students in learning the latest technology and create innovative activities that allow students to learn and apply the STEM-related skills both individually and in teams. And, as students do so, the experience of their teachers is there to guide them.”
Regarding the grants for New Richmond, School Superintendent Jeff Moberg said: “Our collective goal is to find that which motivates each student, to bring out the very best in every student. We want students to pursue careers that allow them to find joy in their work, earn a good living and be productive members of our community. By showing students that STEM-related careers are within their reach – whether it is pursuing an education that focuses on a specific skilled trade, or pursuing a two- or four-year degree – we want students to know they have options. Having the skills that projects like those recognized today help develop, we help students set aggressive, but attainable goals. We also show students that education is interactive, rewarding and lifelong.”
Shell Lake School District Superintendent Jim Connell said: “The four BCF grants that Shell Lake was awarded will enable us to bring the newest technology into the classroom in the form of 3D Design and Prototype Package software; allow hands-on learning via alternative/renewable energy kits; expand our current robotics program; and help our Science Olympiad students actively engage in science and, as a team, travel to various competitions. All of these experiences give our students the ability to think about STEM education in new and innovative ways. And, it allows our teachers to broaden the resources they work so diligently to bring to the educational experience. We value the partnership.”
Grants were awarded to the following projects at Shell Lake Schools:
- Alternative/Renewable Energy Kits: This $6,500 grant will support the purchase of alternative/renewable energy kits. This kit includes a solar collection station and wind generator to show how much energy can be generated on the school property using renewable sources of energy. Students in grades K-12 will benefit from learning about this technology through hands-on experimentation, demonstration and mentorship. These STEM-related activities are directly linked to the core curricula taught at the various grade levels.
- Robotics Kits: This $5,230 grant will support the purchase of Robotics Kits and accessories – including LEGO® MindStorms® EV3, Robo TC Automation Robots, Technical Revolutions, Beginner Robotics, Fun With Physics, Oeco Energy, Optics, and Mechanic and Static Engineering – to expand the Shell Lake Schools robotics program. Currently, the district owns one robot kit, which can be used by only one student at a time. These additional kits will expand the program district-wide giving all Shell Lake students the opportunity to learn the skills of team work, problem solving, critical thinking and creativity.
- 3D Design and Prototype Package Kits: This $5,000 grant will support the purchase of 3D Design and Prototype package kits for the Shell Lake Technology and Engineering Education Department. This package will allow students to use solid-modeling software to design and create a product and take it from inception to a prototype reality. Exposure of this caliber will benefit technology education students in grades eighth- through twelfth-grade by providing them with real-world design and problem-solving skills.
- Science Olympiad: This $3,000 grant will support building materials, transportation, lodging and tournament entry fees for Shell Lake students to participate in the Science Olympiad. The Science Olympiad is an extracurricular club for students that brings science to life, shows how science works and emphasizes the problem-solving aspects and understanding of science concepts.
Grants were awarded to the following projects at New Richmond Schools:
- High Mileage Vehicle Program: This $10,000 grant supports the New Richmond High Mileage Vehicle Program in which students design and manufacture a car. Although many of the components are manufactured in the school’s metal shop, for safety reasons students must purchase some of the components such as wheels and sprockets. The car is driven by students in various competitions held throughout the state.
- Bridgeport® Mill: This $4,650 grant supports the purchase of a Bridgeport mill. This mill will expand the New Richmond teaching stations and give students in machining classes hands-on experience in machining parts on a three-axis machine. This machine will help prepare students for work and post-secondary opportunities.
- Cubify CubeX™ 3D Printer: This $2,500 grant supports the purchase of a Cubify CubeX 3D printer. This printer will give students the opportunity to work with new technology in 3D printing. Students will print and see their CAD designs and enhance their understanding of the design and manufacturing process.
- VEX® Kits: This $950 grant will support the purchase of 10 VEX Kits. These kits are part of the New Richmond engineering curriculum and will allow students to work on electro-mechanical simulations and provide real-life engineering opportunities. The New Richmond pre-engineering program is a Project Lead the Way program, and the kits are necessary for the school to maintain its status as a certified Project Lead the Way school.
Grant to the New Richmond Area Community Foundation:
- New Richmond Library – Early Literacy Station: This $7,000 grant will support the purchase of two Early Literacy Stations for the New Richmond Library. The Early Literacy Station is an educational computer workstation that provides access to information and quality education to children pre-school age through the third grade. The Early Literacy Station includes software packages with age-appropriate materials in reading, math, science and social studies. These literacy stations are in 40 percent of libraries across the country.
About the Bosch Community Fund:
The Bosch Community Fund, a U.S.-based foundation established in September 2011, awards up to $3 million annually in grants to various 501(c)(3) organizations and educational institutions. The BCF focuses primarily on the enrichment of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education and the advancement of environmental sustainability initiatives.
The Bosch Group is a leading global supplier of technology and services. According to preliminary figures, its roughly 281,000 associates generated sales of 46.4 billion euros ($61.6 billion) in 2013*. The Bosch Group comprises Robert Bosch GmbH and its more than 350 subsidiaries and regional companies in some 60 countries. If its sales and service partners are included, then Bosch is represented in roughly 150 countries. Its operations are divided into four business sectors: Automotive Technology, Industrial Technology, Consumer Goods, and Energy and Building Technology. This worldwide development, manufacturing, and sales network is the foundation for further growth. In 2013, Bosch applied for some 5,000 patents worldwide. The Bosch Group’s products and services are designed to fascinate, and to improve the quality of life by providing solutions which are both innovative and beneficial. In this way, the company offers technology worldwide that is “Invented for life.” Additional information on the global organization is available online at www.bosch.com, www.bosch-press.com, and http://twitter.com/BoschPresse.
In the U.S., Canada and Mexico, the Bosch Group manufactures and markets automotive original equipment and aftermarket products, industrial drives and control technology, power tools, security and communication systems, packaging technology, thermotechnology, household appliances, healthcare telemedicine and software solutions. For more information, please visit www.boschusa.com, www.bosch.com.mx and www.bosch.ca.
*Due to a change in legal rules governing consolidation, 2013 figures can only be compared to a limited extent with 2012 figures. Exchange rate: 1 EUR = $1.32812
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 26, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,127
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Oct. 26, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,657
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 26, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 636
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Oct. 26, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 583
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,473
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,418
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,569
Qosmos, the market leader for IP traffic classification and network intelligence technology, has announced that it will launch the Launch L7 Viewer at CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley, being held November 1 – 3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The L7 Viewer is a traffic analysis tool that provides complete visibility of all network traffic that crosses a virtualized infrastructure, up to Layer 7. It facilitates and accelerates common IT tasks such as VM migra...
Oct. 26, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 389
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Oct. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,352
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 26, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,666
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 26, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,090
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 26, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,152
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Claude Remillard, Principal Program Manager in Developer Division at Microsoft, will contrast how his team used config as code and immutable patterns for continuous delivery of microservices and apps to the cloud. He will show the immutable patterns helps developers do away with most of the complexity of config as code-enabling scenarios such as rollback, zero downtime upgrades with far greater simplicity. He will also have live demos of building immutable pipe...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,661
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,520
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,285