|By Business Wire||
|February 24, 2014 12:58 PM EST||
The Bosch Community Fund (BCF), in conjunction with leadership at Bosch’s New Richmond and Shell Lake, Wis., facilities, today awarded nearly $45,000 to two school districts to support nine projects, all of which are designed to allow students to apply their learning in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in hands-on, experiential settings.
Today’s announcement continues the work that the BCF began about two years ago wherein it works collaboratively with the communities in which Bosch does business to support various educational and community groups who seek to advance STEM education and environmental sustainability.
“Bosch is very proud to make these grant awards,” said George Berg, commercial director of Bosch Packaging and lead for the New Richmond and Shell Lake Community Service teams. “The caliber of the projects that the communities submitted was really terrific. In reading their grant requests, we could see that considerable thought was put into the proposals. Clearly, those who submitted the proposals understand that learning goes far beyond the four walls of the traditional classroom setting. They want to engage students in learning the latest technology and create innovative activities that allow students to learn and apply the STEM-related skills both individually and in teams. And, as students do so, the experience of their teachers is there to guide them.”
Regarding the grants for New Richmond, School Superintendent Jeff Moberg said: “Our collective goal is to find that which motivates each student, to bring out the very best in every student. We want students to pursue careers that allow them to find joy in their work, earn a good living and be productive members of our community. By showing students that STEM-related careers are within their reach – whether it is pursuing an education that focuses on a specific skilled trade, or pursuing a two- or four-year degree – we want students to know they have options. Having the skills that projects like those recognized today help develop, we help students set aggressive, but attainable goals. We also show students that education is interactive, rewarding and lifelong.”
Shell Lake School District Superintendent Jim Connell said: “The four BCF grants that Shell Lake was awarded will enable us to bring the newest technology into the classroom in the form of 3D Design and Prototype Package software; allow hands-on learning via alternative/renewable energy kits; expand our current robotics program; and help our Science Olympiad students actively engage in science and, as a team, travel to various competitions. All of these experiences give our students the ability to think about STEM education in new and innovative ways. And, it allows our teachers to broaden the resources they work so diligently to bring to the educational experience. We value the partnership.”
Grants were awarded to the following projects at Shell Lake Schools:
- Alternative/Renewable Energy Kits: This $6,500 grant will support the purchase of alternative/renewable energy kits. This kit includes a solar collection station and wind generator to show how much energy can be generated on the school property using renewable sources of energy. Students in grades K-12 will benefit from learning about this technology through hands-on experimentation, demonstration and mentorship. These STEM-related activities are directly linked to the core curricula taught at the various grade levels.
- Robotics Kits: This $5,230 grant will support the purchase of Robotics Kits and accessories – including LEGO® MindStorms® EV3, Robo TC Automation Robots, Technical Revolutions, Beginner Robotics, Fun With Physics, Oeco Energy, Optics, and Mechanic and Static Engineering – to expand the Shell Lake Schools robotics program. Currently, the district owns one robot kit, which can be used by only one student at a time. These additional kits will expand the program district-wide giving all Shell Lake students the opportunity to learn the skills of team work, problem solving, critical thinking and creativity.
- 3D Design and Prototype Package Kits: This $5,000 grant will support the purchase of 3D Design and Prototype package kits for the Shell Lake Technology and Engineering Education Department. This package will allow students to use solid-modeling software to design and create a product and take it from inception to a prototype reality. Exposure of this caliber will benefit technology education students in grades eighth- through twelfth-grade by providing them with real-world design and problem-solving skills.
- Science Olympiad: This $3,000 grant will support building materials, transportation, lodging and tournament entry fees for Shell Lake students to participate in the Science Olympiad. The Science Olympiad is an extracurricular club for students that brings science to life, shows how science works and emphasizes the problem-solving aspects and understanding of science concepts.
Grants were awarded to the following projects at New Richmond Schools:
- High Mileage Vehicle Program: This $10,000 grant supports the New Richmond High Mileage Vehicle Program in which students design and manufacture a car. Although many of the components are manufactured in the school’s metal shop, for safety reasons students must purchase some of the components such as wheels and sprockets. The car is driven by students in various competitions held throughout the state.
- Bridgeport® Mill: This $4,650 grant supports the purchase of a Bridgeport mill. This mill will expand the New Richmond teaching stations and give students in machining classes hands-on experience in machining parts on a three-axis machine. This machine will help prepare students for work and post-secondary opportunities.
- Cubify CubeX™ 3D Printer: This $2,500 grant supports the purchase of a Cubify CubeX 3D printer. This printer will give students the opportunity to work with new technology in 3D printing. Students will print and see their CAD designs and enhance their understanding of the design and manufacturing process.
- VEX® Kits: This $950 grant will support the purchase of 10 VEX Kits. These kits are part of the New Richmond engineering curriculum and will allow students to work on electro-mechanical simulations and provide real-life engineering opportunities. The New Richmond pre-engineering program is a Project Lead the Way program, and the kits are necessary for the school to maintain its status as a certified Project Lead the Way school.
Grant to the New Richmond Area Community Foundation:
- New Richmond Library – Early Literacy Station: This $7,000 grant will support the purchase of two Early Literacy Stations for the New Richmond Library. The Early Literacy Station is an educational computer workstation that provides access to information and quality education to children pre-school age through the third grade. The Early Literacy Station includes software packages with age-appropriate materials in reading, math, science and social studies. These literacy stations are in 40 percent of libraries across the country.
About the Bosch Community Fund:
The Bosch Community Fund, a U.S.-based foundation established in September 2011, awards up to $3 million annually in grants to various 501(c)(3) organizations and educational institutions. The BCF focuses primarily on the enrichment of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education and the advancement of environmental sustainability initiatives.
The Bosch Group is a leading global supplier of technology and services. According to preliminary figures, its roughly 281,000 associates generated sales of 46.4 billion euros ($61.6 billion) in 2013*. The Bosch Group comprises Robert Bosch GmbH and its more than 350 subsidiaries and regional companies in some 60 countries. If its sales and service partners are included, then Bosch is represented in roughly 150 countries. Its operations are divided into four business sectors: Automotive Technology, Industrial Technology, Consumer Goods, and Energy and Building Technology. This worldwide development, manufacturing, and sales network is the foundation for further growth. In 2013, Bosch applied for some 5,000 patents worldwide. The Bosch Group’s products and services are designed to fascinate, and to improve the quality of life by providing solutions which are both innovative and beneficial. In this way, the company offers technology worldwide that is “Invented for life.” Additional information on the global organization is available online at www.bosch.com, www.bosch-press.com, and http://twitter.com/BoschPresse.
In the U.S., Canada and Mexico, the Bosch Group manufactures and markets automotive original equipment and aftermarket products, industrial drives and control technology, power tools, security and communication systems, packaging technology, thermotechnology, household appliances, healthcare telemedicine and software solutions. For more information, please visit www.boschusa.com, www.bosch.com.mx and www.bosch.ca.
*Due to a change in legal rules governing consolidation, 2013 figures can only be compared to a limited extent with 2012 figures. Exchange rate: 1 EUR = $1.32812
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 653
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,799
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,266
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,242
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 645
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,735
In his session at Cloud Expo, Alan Winters, an entertainment executive/TV producer turned serial entrepreneur, will present a success story of an entrepreneur who has both suffered through and benefited from offshore development across multiple businesses: The smart choice, or how to select the right offshore development partner Warning signs, or how to minimize chances of making the wrong choice Collaboration, or how to establish the most effective work processes Budget control, or how to max...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 533
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,243
MongoDB Atlas leverages VPC peering for AWS, a service that allows multiple VPC networks to interact. This includes VPCs that belong to other AWS account holders. By performing cross account VPC peering, users ensure networks that host and communicate their data are secure. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Jay Gordon, a Developer Advocate at MongoDB, will explain how to properly architect your VPC using existing AWS tools and then peer with your MongoDB Atlas cluster. He'll discuss the secur...
Mar. 29, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 713
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Mar. 29, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 7,893
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,572
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,433
Most companies are adopting or evaluating container technology - Docker in particular - to speed up application deployment, drive down cost, ease management and make application delivery more flexible overall. As with most new architectures, this dream takes a lot of work to become a reality. Even when you do get your application componentized enough and packaged properly, there are still challenges for DevOps teams to making the shift to continuous delivery and achieving that reduction in cost...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:53 AM EDT Reads: 233
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Mar. 29, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 10,470
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,717