|By Marketwired .||
|February 25, 2014 12:01 AM EST||
NUREMBERG, GERMANY -- (Marketwired) -- 02/25/14 -- Embedded World 2014 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the AMD Embedded RadeonE8860 GPU (codenamed "Adelaar"), the industry's first discrete graphics card based on Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture designed specifically to advance the visual growth and parallel processing capabilities of embedded applications. With more than double the performance in the same power envelope as its predecessor(1), the AMD E8860 GPU delivers 3D and 4K graphics to embedded gaming machines, digital signage, medical imaging, commercial aerospace and conventional military, and other embedded applications. A 33 percent higher single precision floating point(2) over the previous generation at 768 GFLOPS enables the AMD E8860 GPU to also blast through the most complex parallel applications like terrain and weather mapping, facial and gesture recognition and biometric and DNA analysis.
"The demand for rich, vibrant graphics and enhanced parallel compute capabilities in embedded systems is greater than ever before, and is expected to continue to grow as we enter the Surround Computing era," said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president and general manager, AMD Embedded Solutions. "Legacy graphics no longer meet the needs of embedded solutions for today and tomorrow. With unprecedented performance-per-watt, the AMD E8860 GPU addresses the need to drive multi-displays, 3D and 4K content and GPGPU compute across small form factors, harsh environments and mission critical applications."
The AMD E8860 GPU, designed in multi-chip module packaging, comes with an industry leading seven year longevity supply guarantee(3) and is available as a mobile PCI Express module (MXM) and PCI Express add-in-board. The AMD E8860 GPU drives multiple independent displays with support for AMD Eyefinity Technology(4), and supports DirectX 11.1, OpenGL 4.2, and OpenCL 1.2 with support for Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Embedded 7 Standard, Windows 8/8.1, Windows Embedded 8 Standard, Linux and real-time and safety-critical operating systems supported by CoreAVI's suite of embedded software drivers. Additional features include:
- Industry-leading graphics memory
- The AMD E8860 GPU features 2GB of GDDR5 frame buffer and delivers up to 80% higher memory bandwidth than the best-performing of NVIDIA's sub-50W category GeForce GPUs(5)
- Advanced GPGPU capabilities for parallel processing with up to 61 percent higher performance-per-watt than competing sub-50W category of discrete GPUs(6)
- 640 Shader processors
- AMD APP technology, OpenCL 1.2, DirectCompute 11.1
- 768 / 48 GFLOPS single / double precision peak (600e/4.5Gbps)
- Improved performance with 92 percent higher 3D graphics performance-per-watt then the previous generation(7)
- 3DMark® 11 score of 2689
- Advanced platform power management at 37W TDP
- Enhanced graphics & video
- 128-bit wide, 2GB GDDR5, 72GB/s
- VCE (video encode), UVD4 (video decode)
- DP1.2, HDMI 1.4, Wireless Display, Stereo 3D
"Embedded GPUs like the AMD E8860 will persevere to accommodate increasingly stringent OEM preferences as demands for HD, 3D and even 4K display capability continue to grow across a seemingly endless array of screen types and sizes," said Chris Rommel, Executive Vice President of M2M Embedded Technology, VDC Research. "The proliferation of GPGPU computing will expand the applicability of GPUs beyond visual applications into medical, conventional military and commercial aerospace applications where massive parallel compute is a necessity."
AMD E8860 GPU-based solutions for digital signage, conventional military and commercial aerospace, medical imaging and embedded gaming machines will be available from Curtiss-Wright Defense Solutions, Quixant, SAPPHIRE, Tech Source Inc., TUL, WOLF Industrial Systems Inc., and other leading board manufacturers and solution providers beginning in Q1 2014.
- AMD Embedded Radeon E8860 GPU product page and product brief
- Watch the AMD E8860 GPU video
- Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
- Follow AMD Embedded on Twitter
AMD (NYSE: AMD) designs and integrates technology that powers millions of intelligent devices, including personal computers, tablets, game consoles and cloud servers that define the new era of surround computing. AMD solutions enable people everywhere to realize the full potential of their favorite devices and applications to push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
1. AMD Radeon E8860 scored 2689 and AMD Radeon E6760 scored 1327 when running 3DMark® 11P benchmark paired with AMD R-464L APU. The E6760's thermal design power (TDP) is 35W and the E8860's TDP is 37W. The E8860 and AMD Radeon E6760 used an AMD DB-FS1r2 motherboard with 8GB DDR3 memory, a 64GB Crucial M4 hard disk drive, and AMD R-464L. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate EMB-79
2. AMD Radeon E8860's single-precision floating point is 768 GFLOPS; AMD Radeon E6760's single-precision floating point is 576 GFLOPS. EMB-80
3. Part availability is planned for seven years from date of announcement, subject to change without notice. Further support available under contract
4. AMD Eyefinity technology supports up to five DisplayPort monitors on an enabled graphics card. Supported display quantity, type and resolution vary by model and board design; confirm specifications with manufacturer before purchase. To enable more than two displays, or multiple displays from a single output, additional hardware such as DisplayPort-ready monitors or DisplayPort 1.2 MST-enabled hubs may be required. A maximum of two active adapters is recommended for consumer systems. See www.amd.com/eyefinityfaq for full detail
5. AMD Radeon E8860 scored 2689, AMD Radeon E6760 scored 1327, NVIDIA GeForce GT630 (Kepler) scored 1784, and NVIDIA GeForce GT640 (GDDR5) scored 2209 when running 3DMark® 11P benchmark paired with AMD R-464L. The performance-per-watt data was calculated by dividing the 3DMark 11P score by the GPU's thermal design power. The performance delta was calculated based on the E8860's 3DMark 11 score of 2689 and the GeForce GT640 (GDDR5)'s 3DMark 11 score of 2209. The performance-per-watt delta was calculated based on the E8860's performance-per-watt score of 72.7 and the GeForce GT640 (GDDR5)'s performance-per-watt score of 45.1. AMD Radeon E8860, AMD Radeon E6760, NVIDIA GeForce GT630 (Kepler), and NVIDIA GeForce GT640 (GDDR5) used an AMD DB-FS1r2 motherboard with 8GB DDR3 memory, a 64GB Crucial M4 hard disk drive, and AMD R-464L. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-83
6. AMD Radeon E8860 scored 2689, AMD Radeon E6760 scored 1327, NVIDIA GeForce GT630 (Kepler) scored 1784, and NVIDIA GeForce GT640 (GDDR5) scored 2209 when running 3DMark® 11P benchmark paired with AMD R-464L. The performance-per-watt data was calculated by dividing the 3DMark 11P score by the GPU's thermal design power. The graphics performance delta was calculated based on the E8860's 3DMark 11 score of 2689 and the GeForce GT640 (GDDR5)'s 3DMark 11 score of 2209. The performance-per-watt delta was calculated based on the E8860's performance-per-watt score of 72.7 and the GeForce GT640 (GDDR5)'s performance-per-watt score of 45.1. AMD Radeon E8860, AMD Radeon E6760, NVIDIA GeForce GT630 (Kepler), and NVIDIA GeForce GT640 (GDDR5) used an AMD DB-FS1r2 motherboard with 8GB DDR3 memory, a 64GB Crucial M4 hard disk drive, and AMD R-464L. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-82
7. AMD Radeon E8860 scored 2689 and AMD Radeon E6760 scored 1327 when running 3DMark® 11P benchmark paired with AMD R-464L APU. The performance-per-watt data was calculated by dividing the 3DMark 11P score by the GPU's thermal design power. The performance-per-watt delta was calculated based on the E8860's performance-per-watt score of 72.7 and the E6760's performance-per-watt score of 37.9. The E8860 and AMD Radeon E6760 used an AMD DB-FS1r2 motherboard with 8GB DDR3 memory, a 64GB Crucial M4 hard disk drive, and AMD R-464L. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-81
AMD Public Relations
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Sep. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,460
24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to connect your brand strategy with the right consumer. 24Notion ranked #12 on Corporate Social Responsibility - Book of List.
Sep. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 324
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Sep. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,214
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 30, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,720
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 30, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,153
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 30, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 712
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,569
If you had a chance to enter on the ground level of the largest e-commerce market in the world – would you? China is the world’s most populated country with the second largest economy and the world’s fastest growing market. It is estimated that by 2018 the Chinese market will be reaching over $30 billion in gaming revenue alone. Admittedly for a foreign company, doing business in China can be challenging. Often changing laws, administrative regulations and the often inscrutable Chinese Interne...
Sep. 30, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 577
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Sep. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 317
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Sep. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,164
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,287
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,235
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Sep. 30, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,494
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Sep. 30, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,703
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Sep. 30, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,263