|By PR Newswire||
|February 25, 2014 11:31 AM EST||
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 25, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett announced today that 33 rail freight improvement projects that will help sustain more than 43,000 jobs across Pennsylvania were approved today for funding from three PennDOT-managed programs.
"Pennsylvania has more operating railroads than any other state, and investing in our rail freight network keeps these invaluable assets in prime position to generate economic growth and jobs,'' Corbett said. "Improving rail networks not only spurs our economy, it also increases safety by helping to ease traffic on our highways."
The State Transportation Commission (STC) voted to approve $33.4 million for 15 projects through the Rail Transportation Assistance Program (RTAP) and 14 projects through the Rail Freight Assistance Program (RFAP). RTAP is a capital budget grant program funded with bonds and RFAP is underwritten through the new Multi-Modal Fund, created by Act 89. In November, Corbett signed Act 89, a far-reaching transportation program that clears the way for significant investments in all transportation modes.
Also, the STC approved $1.3 million for four projects from Marcellus Shale impact fees designated for distribution through PennDOT's Bureau of Rail Freight, Ports and Waterways.
For more information, visit www.dot.state.pa.us.
Media contact: Rich Kirkpatrick or Erin Waters-Trasatt, PennDOT 717-783-8800
Steve Chizmar, Governor's Office 717-783-1116
Editor's Note: Following is a by-county list of approved rail freight projects under the three programs with the state share:
- Allegheny Valley Railroad Co. -- $1.2 million to construct 4,500 feet of track for a new interchange siding with the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway at Bruceton, Pa.
- Redevelopment Authority of Berks County -- $952,839 to rehabilitate and expand rail resources to accommodate a new rail-shipment customer.
Blair, Centre, Columbia, Lycoming, Mifflin, Northumberland counties
- SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority -- $1.8 million to rehabilitate nine bridges on five short-line rail systems to support 315,000-pound cars.
- Bucks County Railroad Preservation & Restoration Corp. -- $1.8 million to replace rail.
- South Avis Realty -- $2.5 million to reconstruct the existing rail yard and construct additional track.
- Economic Progress Alliance of Crawford County -- $4 million to construct a 7,000-foot unit train loop track and a 400-foot industrial track siding for a new tenant in the Keystone Regional Industrial Park.
- Mittal Steel USA Railways Steelton & Highspire -- $1.9 million to rehabilitate 14,242 feet of track, including 27 turnouts.
- Pennsylvania Northeast Regional Rail Authority -- $674,800 to purchase and install 8,000 ties and 7,715 linear feet of rail.
- Medley Investments -- $940,310 to relocate CPR's mainline switch, construct 1,050-foot new siding, install a concrete pad for loading and unloading and establish a stone/gravel storage area.
- Hodge Foundry, Inc. -- $524,514 to construct a new 460-foot rail siding on the CN/Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Co. mainline.
- Casella Waste Management of Pennsylvania, Inc. -- nearly $7 million to construct a rail siding transfer station along the Buffalo & Pittsburgh line.
- Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad -- $539,000 to install 6,000 cross ties and surface 16,000 feet of track.
- Allegheny Eastern Railroad Inc. -- $2.3 million to re-establish and upgrade tracks in the Warren yard.
- Procter and Gamble Paper Products Co. -- $250,600 to construct track, replace cross ties, replace timber, install ballast and improve the line's surface.
- Westmoreland County Industrial Development Corporation -- $1.1 million for the first of three phases for a project replacing 2.4 miles of worn rail with rail that will eliminate joints.
- Leetsdale Industrial Corp. -- $700,000 for the last phase of track rehabilitation in the industrial park, including turnout replacement, welding, upgrading rail and rail alignment.
- The Techs Industries, Inc. -- $229,320 to replace crossties, improve drainage and remove and replace ballast.
Berks, Chester, Lehigh and Montgomery counties
- East Penn Railroad LLC -- $493,640 to replace ties, rails, ballast and renew rail crossing.
- Mittal Steel USA Railways, Inc. -- $230,790 to rebuild 1,598 feet of track and replace two turnouts.
- Arcelor Plate, LLC -- $197,610 to rehabilitate more than 1,500 feet of track and one turnout.
Crawford and Venango counties
- Oil Creek Titusville Lines, Inc. -- $127,194 to install 1,500 new cross ties, and restore proper profile and depth of roadbed.
- Columbia and Reading Railway Co. LLC -- $732,200 to add five new tracks, five new turnouts, realign 390 feet of mainline track, add four new turnouts and 1,350 feet of new track.
- Hazleton Shaft Corp. -- $250,000 to construct a new rail spur for access to new anthracite coal thermal drying facility.
- Pennsylvania Northeast Railroad -- $507,150 to install 2,000 new cross ties and replace and repair two grade crossings.
- Standard Steel, LLC -- $700,000 to remove and replace 2,600 feet of track and several turnouts.
- North Shore Railroad -- $250,000 for the first of two phases consisting of constructing 1,500 feet of new track in the yard.
- James J. Anderson Construction Co. Inc. -- $476,000 to rehabilitate 5,618-foot loop track, including grade crossing and replace cross ties and miscellaneous rail, and to raise line and surface rail.
- Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad -- $700,000 to rehabilitate track in the Buck Mountain tunnel, including replacing 2,478 ties.
- Three Rivers Marine and Rail Terminal LP -- $277,088 to rehabilitate grade crossing and connection to Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad and rehabilitate track on Koppers lead mainline.
- Pittsburgh, Allegheny, McKees Rocks Railroad Co. -- $350,000 to install new turnouts, construct new track and rehabilitate existing track including crosstie replacement.
Bradford and Wyoming counties
- Lehigh Railway LLC -- $367,500 for various rail improvements and replacing the deck on Wyalusing Bridge.
- Youngstown & Southeastern railroad Inc. -- $339,500 to rehabilitate track from the Pennsylvania border to Darlington, Pa. and rebuild siding at NOV Tuboscope.
- Yourga Trucking, Inc. -- $250,000 to install a new asphalt turnout, 700 feet of embedded track and a bumping post for the end of the track.
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,486
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT de...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 944
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,677
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Sep. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,379
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,341
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,448
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,698
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 862
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,205
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,034
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,928
While DevOps promises a better and tighter integration among an organization’s development and operation teams and transforms an application life cycle into a continual deployment, Chef and Azure together provides a speedy, cost-effective and highly scalable vehicle for realizing the business values of this transformation. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, a Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, will present a unique opportunity to witness how Chef and Azure work tog...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,591
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,607
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Channels will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The bedrock of Secure Channels Technology is a uniquely modified and enhanced process based on superencipherment. Superencipherment is the process of encrypting an already encrypted message one or more times, either using the same or a different algorithm.
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,430
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,445