|By PR Newswire||
|February 25, 2014 11:31 AM EST||
HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 25, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett announced today that 33 rail freight improvement projects that will help sustain more than 43,000 jobs across Pennsylvania were approved today for funding from three PennDOT-managed programs.
"Pennsylvania has more operating railroads than any other state, and investing in our rail freight network keeps these invaluable assets in prime position to generate economic growth and jobs,'' Corbett said. "Improving rail networks not only spurs our economy, it also increases safety by helping to ease traffic on our highways."
The State Transportation Commission (STC) voted to approve $33.4 million for 15 projects through the Rail Transportation Assistance Program (RTAP) and 14 projects through the Rail Freight Assistance Program (RFAP). RTAP is a capital budget grant program funded with bonds and RFAP is underwritten through the new Multi-Modal Fund, created by Act 89. In November, Corbett signed Act 89, a far-reaching transportation program that clears the way for significant investments in all transportation modes.
Also, the STC approved $1.3 million for four projects from Marcellus Shale impact fees designated for distribution through PennDOT's Bureau of Rail Freight, Ports and Waterways.
For more information, visit www.dot.state.pa.us.
Media contact: Rich Kirkpatrick or Erin Waters-Trasatt, PennDOT 717-783-8800
Steve Chizmar, Governor's Office 717-783-1116
Editor's Note: Following is a by-county list of approved rail freight projects under the three programs with the state share:
- Allegheny Valley Railroad Co. -- $1.2 million to construct 4,500 feet of track for a new interchange siding with the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway at Bruceton, Pa.
- Redevelopment Authority of Berks County -- $952,839 to rehabilitate and expand rail resources to accommodate a new rail-shipment customer.
Blair, Centre, Columbia, Lycoming, Mifflin, Northumberland counties
- SEDA-COG Joint Rail Authority -- $1.8 million to rehabilitate nine bridges on five short-line rail systems to support 315,000-pound cars.
- Bucks County Railroad Preservation & Restoration Corp. -- $1.8 million to replace rail.
- South Avis Realty -- $2.5 million to reconstruct the existing rail yard and construct additional track.
- Economic Progress Alliance of Crawford County -- $4 million to construct a 7,000-foot unit train loop track and a 400-foot industrial track siding for a new tenant in the Keystone Regional Industrial Park.
- Mittal Steel USA Railways Steelton & Highspire -- $1.9 million to rehabilitate 14,242 feet of track, including 27 turnouts.
- Pennsylvania Northeast Regional Rail Authority -- $674,800 to purchase and install 8,000 ties and 7,715 linear feet of rail.
- Medley Investments -- $940,310 to relocate CPR's mainline switch, construct 1,050-foot new siding, install a concrete pad for loading and unloading and establish a stone/gravel storage area.
- Hodge Foundry, Inc. -- $524,514 to construct a new 460-foot rail siding on the CN/Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Co. mainline.
- Casella Waste Management of Pennsylvania, Inc. -- nearly $7 million to construct a rail siding transfer station along the Buffalo & Pittsburgh line.
- Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad -- $539,000 to install 6,000 cross ties and surface 16,000 feet of track.
- Allegheny Eastern Railroad Inc. -- $2.3 million to re-establish and upgrade tracks in the Warren yard.
- Procter and Gamble Paper Products Co. -- $250,600 to construct track, replace cross ties, replace timber, install ballast and improve the line's surface.
- Westmoreland County Industrial Development Corporation -- $1.1 million for the first of three phases for a project replacing 2.4 miles of worn rail with rail that will eliminate joints.
- Leetsdale Industrial Corp. -- $700,000 for the last phase of track rehabilitation in the industrial park, including turnout replacement, welding, upgrading rail and rail alignment.
- The Techs Industries, Inc. -- $229,320 to replace crossties, improve drainage and remove and replace ballast.
Berks, Chester, Lehigh and Montgomery counties
- East Penn Railroad LLC -- $493,640 to replace ties, rails, ballast and renew rail crossing.
- Mittal Steel USA Railways, Inc. -- $230,790 to rebuild 1,598 feet of track and replace two turnouts.
- Arcelor Plate, LLC -- $197,610 to rehabilitate more than 1,500 feet of track and one turnout.
Crawford and Venango counties
- Oil Creek Titusville Lines, Inc. -- $127,194 to install 1,500 new cross ties, and restore proper profile and depth of roadbed.
- Columbia and Reading Railway Co. LLC -- $732,200 to add five new tracks, five new turnouts, realign 390 feet of mainline track, add four new turnouts and 1,350 feet of new track.
- Hazleton Shaft Corp. -- $250,000 to construct a new rail spur for access to new anthracite coal thermal drying facility.
- Pennsylvania Northeast Railroad -- $507,150 to install 2,000 new cross ties and replace and repair two grade crossings.
- Standard Steel, LLC -- $700,000 to remove and replace 2,600 feet of track and several turnouts.
- North Shore Railroad -- $250,000 for the first of two phases consisting of constructing 1,500 feet of new track in the yard.
- James J. Anderson Construction Co. Inc. -- $476,000 to rehabilitate 5,618-foot loop track, including grade crossing and replace cross ties and miscellaneous rail, and to raise line and surface rail.
- Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railroad -- $700,000 to rehabilitate track in the Buck Mountain tunnel, including replacing 2,478 ties.
- Three Rivers Marine and Rail Terminal LP -- $277,088 to rehabilitate grade crossing and connection to Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad and rehabilitate track on Koppers lead mainline.
- Pittsburgh, Allegheny, McKees Rocks Railroad Co. -- $350,000 to install new turnouts, construct new track and rehabilitate existing track including crosstie replacement.
Bradford and Wyoming counties
- Lehigh Railway LLC -- $367,500 for various rail improvements and replacing the deck on Wyalusing Bridge.
- Youngstown & Southeastern railroad Inc. -- $339,500 to rehabilitate track from the Pennsylvania border to Darlington, Pa. and rebuild siding at NOV Tuboscope.
- Yourga Trucking, Inc. -- $250,000 to install a new asphalt turnout, 700 feet of embedded track and a bumping post for the end of the track.
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor
What if you could build a web application that could support true web-scale traffic without having to ever provision or manage a single server? Sounds magical, and it is! In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Munns, Senior Developer Advocate for Serverless Applications at Amazon Web Services, will show how to build a serverless website that scales automatically using services like AWS Lambda, Amazon API Gateway, and Amazon S3. We will review several frameworks that can help you build serverle...
Mar. 22, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,027
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,861
VeriStor Systems has announced that CRN has named VeriStor to its 2017 Managed Service Provider (MSP) 500 list in the Elite 150 category. This annual list recognizes North American solution providers with cutting-edge approaches to delivering managed services. Their offerings help companies navigate the complex and ever-changing landscape of IT, improve operational efficiencies, and maximize their return on IT investments. In today’s fast-paced business environments, MSPs play an important role...
Mar. 22, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,732
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 22, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 703
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,070
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 695
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 446
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 22, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,159
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 22, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,110
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,311
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 737
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Mar. 22, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 8,068
Have you ever noticed how some IT people seem to lead successful, rewarding, and satisfying lives and careers, while others struggle? IT author and speaker Don Crawley uncovered the five principles that successful IT people use to build satisfying lives and careers and he shares them in this fast-paced, thought-provoking webinar. You'll learn the importance of striking a balance with technical skills and people skills, challenge your pre-existing ideas about IT customer service, and gain new in...
Mar. 22, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,815
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 22, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 7,682
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 22, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,344