|By Marketwired .||
|February 25, 2014 12:25 PM EST||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 02/25/14 -- March is just days away and that means the official arrival of spring is in sight. For Canadians, that's very welcome news as this year's winter is really putting everyone to the test. In anticipation of the rush for spring getaways, the travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, asked its data team to see which destinations jumped in popularity for Canadians looking to travel in March. The findings? The five destinations to make Cheapflights.ca's Top 5 March Travel Hot Spots are all southern destinations with warmer temperatures and plenty to do in March.
Whether planning travel for March Break, a grad trip, or simply a much needed getaway, Canadians were paying more attention than usual to the top five hot spots below. They are, in order, the destinations that saw the biggest surges in their rankings for March travel searches on Cheapflights.ca:
1. Myrtle Beach, S.C., USA - March might not be full beach season in Myrtle Beach but, in general, the sun will be shining. So it's a reasonable time of year to bring a bathing suit and certainly your sunscreen. It's an even better time of year to bring your golf clubs. This is serious golf country and, with average temperatures around 18 degrees C, it's hard to imagine a more enjoyable time to be on the course. Both Porter and WestJet serve the airport, so it's an easy escape when winter seems like it may go on forever.
2. Kahului, Maui, Hawaii, USA - Kahului is the gateway to all that Maui has to offer from the beauty of the beaches to the height of Haleakala. This island getaway is popular all year round, though March marks the transition from the relatively rainy season to the sunshine of summer. It is also the final month of whale watching season and of the two-month Maui Whale Festival. Experts say 12,000-14,000 whales come to Hawaii between January and March each year and are particularly drawn to the waters off of Maui. Add in the Canadian families looking to make the most of March break and you get a good crowd.
3. San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA - There is no shortage of reasons to visit Puerto Rico in March. It's warm, sunny and dry. It's an accessible and affordable destination for families and students on break. And there's entertainment to fit almost any audience. From Festival Casals (Feb. 22 - March 15), which honours cellist Pable Casals, to the Carnaval de Ponce (Feb. 26 - March 4), the local party leading into Lent, to JazzFest (March 20 - 23), with its celebration of Latin musicians, there is barely a break in the beat. The best way to get some peace and quiet might actually be to drop by the PGA's Puerto Rico OPEN (March 6 - 9).
4. St. Petersburg, Fla., USA - The Tampa Bay area beckons with beaches and baseball in March. The small St. Petersburg - Clearwater International Airport takes great advantage of this, positioning itself as the fast and easy path to the beaches of the Gulf Coast. This airport, which is served primarily by budget airlines, cites strong recent growth numbers. It will be a long time before it challenges Tampa International as the areas dominant airport but, with non-stop flights from Toronto on SunWing, it's not surprising to see its popularity growing -- particularly now since the Blue Jays are in spring training all March in Dunedin, just 20 kilometres from the airport.
5. New Orleans, La., USA - Why March in New Orleans this year? Two words: Mardi Gras! Fat Tuesday itself lands on March 4 this year and the whole first weekend of March is parades, parties and people watching. Each day gets more festive, right up to the costumed madness of Mardi Gras Day. Not surprisingly, out-of-towners flock to the Big Easy ever year for the fun. Of course, St. Patrick's Day in New Orleans also turns into a party. Parades roll again but, along with green beads, expect to catch carrots, potatoes and the occasional head of cabbage -- all the fixings for your corned beef dinner.
Cheapflights.ca's Top 5 March Travel Hot Spots is available online at www.cheapflights.ca/travel/top-5-march-travel-hot-spots.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 15 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2528424
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 31, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 475
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Aug. 31, 2015 07:00 PM EDT
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Aug. 31, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 518
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 31, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 242
Amazon and Google have built software-defined data centers (SDDCs) that deliver massively scalable services with great efficiency. Yet, building SDDCs has proven to be a near impossibility for ‘normal’ companies without hyper-scale resources. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, David Cauthron, founder and chief executive officer of Nimboxx, will discuss the evolution of virtualization (hardware, application, memory, storage) and how commodity / open source hyper converged infrastructure (HCI) so...
Aug. 31, 2015 04:45 PM EDT
In their Live Hack” presentation at 17th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty and Paul Fletcher, Chief Security Evangelists at Alert Logic, will provide the audience with a chance to see a live demonstration of the common tools cyber attackers use to attack cloud and traditional IT systems. This “Live Hack” uses open source attack tools that are free and available for download by anybody. Attendees will learn where to find and how to operate these tools for the purpose of testing their own IT infrastructu...
Aug. 31, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 446
The web app is agile. The REST API is agile. The testing and planning are agile. But alas, data infrastructures certainly are not. Once an application matures, changing the shape or indexing scheme of data often forces at best a top down planning exercise and at worst includes schema changes that force downtime. The time has come for a new approach that fundamentally advances the agility of distributed data infrastructures. Come learn about a new solution to the problems faced by software organ...
Aug. 31, 2015 04:30 PM EDT
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Aug. 31, 2015 03:15 PM EDT
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 31, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 245
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 369
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 454
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of I...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 415
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 31, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 141
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 181
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 31, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 418