News Feed Item
Cheapflights.com Springs Into Spring With Top 10 March Hot Spots
Ranks Spots With Biggest Jumps in Popularity for March Travel
|By Marketwired .
|February 26, 2014 03:09 PM EST
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 02/26/14 -- Ahhhh... March is just around the corner, finally! From Mardi Gras to St. Patrick's Day, March Madness to the National Cherry Blossom Festival, March is a month with plenty to celebrate. And for many Americans, March also marks the winding down of a very long winter and beginning of that much-anticipated spring feeling. The anticipation of spring inspired the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, to examine where Americans are headed as they kick off the spring travel season. The Cheapflights travel gurus used search data from the site to compile Cheapflights.com's Top 10 March Travel Hot Spots featuring destinations that saw the biggest spikes in demand for March versus the rest of the year.
Below are the five places from our list that saw the biggest jumps in relative popularity for travelers seeking to get away in March as well as some insights as to why people might want to head there now:
1. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - This is all-inclusive resort central, a relatively easy and affordable place to escape to when the winter gets you down -- especially from the East Coast. And this winter is sending a lot of East Coasters packing as they look to trade the polar vortex for the Punta Cana sun. With highs in the low 80s and the rainy (and hurricane) season months away, March in Punta Cana seems like just the right plan after a snowy and frigid January and February. Plenty of resorts and travel agents are featuring last minute deals; making Punta Cana an enticing spot for people to start their spring early. Just be aware that college students have figured this out as well, ensuring that a good number of vacationers heading there in March are escaping school as well as winter weather.
2. San Diego, Calif. - On March 1, the Flower Fields of Carlsbad are opening this year. Yes, flowers bloom almost anywhere in the spring but not usually 50 acres at a time in a rainbow cascade down a hill with the Pacific Ocean as a backdrop. We can't say for sure this is why the always popular San Diego has spiked as a favorite for March travel, but we do know 100,000 people turn out each year to see this annual display of brightly colored ranunculus 30 minutes outside the city -- and not far from LEGOLAND. Add in that San Diego's Viejas Arena is playing host to second and third round games in the NCAA Basketball Tournament (aka March Madness) and that you can get warm weather and off-season crowds and prices (except during the tournament weekend), and it's clear that those heading there in March are on to a good thing.
3. Panama City, Fla. - While Fort Lauderdale is the birthplace of college Spring Break, Panama City is the current reigning party spot in Florida. Each year, reportedly nearly half a million students flood the 27-mile stretch of beach as well as the night clubs, concert stages and hotel and condo pools of Panama City throughout March and into early April. Not the time to hit the beach looking for some peace and quiet!
4. Seattle, Wash. - Food and wine are always a big draw. So when a state the size (and with the food and wine resume) of Washington dedicates a month to it, people seem to notice. March is "Taste Washington Wine Month," which means wineries, restaurants and tasting rooms across the state are joining forces to entice you to visit with deals, special menus, pairings and events of all kinds. The culmination is Taste Washington, a two-day event (March 29-30), at the Century Link Event Center, next to the Seahawks home field. It's a challenge to take in the food, classes, wine, beer and more that are on hand from 200 plus wineries and vendors serving at the event, yet thousands sign up to try. There may be other reasons why this March is proving to be a popular time to head to Seattle but we know the top reason we want to go.
5. Los Cabos, Mexico - While Los Cabos is a popular destination all winter and spring, it's a bit of a mecca in March. Its spring break scene is somewhat more subdued than Cancun but still quite hopping. And trading books for beers isn't the only reason to go in March. Take your pick of the Carnival celebrations leading up to Ash Wednesday (March 5), the 11-day Fiesta de San Jose del Cabo (March 8-19) or Benito Juarez Day, a national holiday on March 21. The Los Cabos area is really two towns -- the more wild Cabo San Lucas and the more mild San Jose del Cabos. Not surprisingly, the Fiesta de San Jose del Cabos celebrates the patron saint of the quieter corner of this resort area, adding the liveliness of music, dancing, rides and food to the experience.
The next five most popular March destinations for American travelers are:
6. Salt Lake City, Utah
7. Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
8. Tampa, Fla.
9. San Francisco, Calif.
10. Phoenix, Ariz.
To read the complete details on Cheapflights.com's Top 10 March Travel Hot Spots, visit www.cheapflights.com/news/top-10-march-travel-hot-spots.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 15 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2529887
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises ar...
Jul. 6, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,421
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture.
Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists discussed how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations migh...
Jul. 6, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,430
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and Containers together help companies to achieve their business goals faster and more effectively.
In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of...
Jul. 6, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,745
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo® and DevOps Summit 2015 Silicon Valley, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Alert Logic provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid IT infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for cust...
Jul. 5, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,215
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than
Jul. 5, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,568
Agile, which started in the development organization, has gradually expanded into other areas downstream - namely IT and Operations. Teams – then teams of teams – have streamlined processes, improved feedback loops and driven a much faster pace into IT departments which have had profound effects on the entire organization.
In his session at DevOps Summit, Anders Wallgren, Chief Technology Officer of Electric Cloud, will discuss how DevOps and Continuous Delivery have emerged to help connect dev...
Jul. 5, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,862
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location.
With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Jul. 5, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,455
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product companies ranging from hi-tech start-ups in Silicon Valley to leading product companies in the US a...
Jul. 5, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,227
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy.
How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 5, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,641
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the ...
Jul. 5, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,487
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Infrastructure & Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Secure Infrastructure & Services (SIAS) is a managed services provider of cloud computing solutions for the IBM Power Systems market. The company helps mid-market firms built on IBM hardware platforms to deploy new levels of reliable and cost-effective computing and hig...
Jul. 5, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,675
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development...
Jul. 5, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
To many people, IoT is a buzzword whose value is not understood. Many people think IoT is all about wearables and home automation.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed some incredible game-changing use cases and how they are transforming industries like agriculture, manufacturing, health care, and smart cities. He will discuss cool technologies like smart dust, robotics, smart labels, and much more. Prepare...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,667
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,049
The cloud has transformed how we think about software quality. Instead of preventing failures, we must focus on automatic recovery from failure. In other words, resilience trumps traditional quality measures.
Continuous delivery models further squeeze traditional notions of quality. Remember the venerable project management Iron Triangle? Among time, scope, and cost, you can only fix two or quality will suffer.
Only in today's DevOps world, continuous testing, integration, and deployment upend...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,545