|By PR Newswire||
|February 27, 2014 02:30 PM EST||
AKRON, Ohio, Feb. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With near-record snowfall and continuing low temperatures in northwest Ohio this winter, Ohio Edison Company (Ohio Edison), a subsidiary of FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE), reminds customers of steps they can take to manage energy bills that may climb as cold weather lingers.
In some parts of Ohio Edison's service area, deep snow has limited access to electric meters. Customers are encouraged to clear a path and free gates or other obstructions that might prevent a meter reader from gaining access. If a meter cannot be read and a customer would like to avoid an estimated bill, they can call Ohio Edison at 800-633-4766 and provide their meter reading over the phone or submit it online.
Customers having difficulty with their bills due to the extended cold weather should contact Ohio Edison at 800-633-4766 or visit www.firstenergycorp.com/payment-options.
Tips for saving energy through continued cold weather include:
- Make sure your home is properly insulated to preserve heat. Inspect doors and windows and apply caulk or weatherstripping where necessary to keep cold air out. Close drapes, blinds and garage doors to retain heat and keep cold air out.
- Keep extra blankets or sleeping bags for each person inside your home. Dress in layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing.
- Use a sturdy fireplace screen when using a fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Never use a gas stove, charcoal grill or lantern intended for outdoor use inside your home as it could lead to a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide gas.
- Exercise caution with space heaters. Only use heaters designed for indoor use, and keep all heat sources at least three feet away from curtains, carpet or furniture that could catch on fire.
- Maintain a three-day supply of water and nonperishable food. Convenience foods that do not require cooking are good to have on hand.
- Avoid frozen pipes by opening faucets and maintaining a constant drip, or wrap pipes in insulation or layers of newspapers.
- Use care when burning candles, especially around children or pets; open flames are a dangerous fire hazard.
- Charge electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablet computers.
- Keep a flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries handy in the event a power interruption occurs.
- Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage in the event of a power outage. Ensure the proper generator is selected and installed by a qualified electrician. When operating a generator, the power coming into the home should always be disconnected. Otherwise, power from the generator could be sent back onto the utility lines, creating a hazardous situation for utility workers.
If an outage occurs, customers should call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report their outage or click the "Report Outage" link on www.firstenergycorp.com via smartphone. In the event of severe weather, customers should immediately report downed wires to their utility or their local police or fire department. Customers should never go near a downed power line, even if they think it is no longer carrying electricity.
FirstEnergy customers also can use a new free smartphone app to report outages and access important information and services related to their electric accounts. The app is available for Apple® iPhone® and Android™ smartphones. Customers can use the keyword "FirstEnergy" to locate the apps in the online store.
In addition, customers can use FirstEnergy's text messaging service to report outages and receive updates on reported outages. Text REG to 544487 (LIGHTS) to get started.
FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York.
Apple and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple, Inc.
Android is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.
Mar. 25, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,262
Mar. 25, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,660
Mar. 25, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,023
Mar. 25, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,850
Mar. 25, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,640
Mar. 25, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,464
Mar. 25, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,779
Mar. 25, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,147
Mar. 25, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,047
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 25, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 894
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,512
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 798
SYS-CON Events announced today that CrowdReviews.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users that have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers...
Mar. 25, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,532
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 25, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,067
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Mar. 25, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 10,258