|By Marketwired .||
|February 28, 2014 02:24 PM EST||
SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwired - February 28, 2014) - Mother Nature must have missed the memo that it's still winter in San Jose, because its many parks and hills are blooming with colorful flowers, lush foliage and singing birds. Peoples' thoughts are turning not only to thoughts of love, but to getting out and socializing. The city is answering that call with a bounty of spring events and festivals, inviting everyone to come out of hibernation and explore San Jose's outdoor recreation and cultural landscape.
Below are just a few highlights and you can find the full spring events list here.
- 37th Annual Nikkei Matsuri Festival (Japanese Festival) (April 27) - Celebrate Japanese culture in one of the last three Japantowns in the U.S., sampling authentic Japanese food, music, martial arts and crafts. http://www.jtown.org
- 2nd Annual Songkran Thai New Year Festival (April 27) - Keep your resolution for exotic fun in 2014 by checking out this festival, where you can experience blessing rituals, Muay Thai kick-boxing exhibitions, Miss Songkran Beauty Pageant, Singha Beer Garden, Thai food and crafts and traditional/contemporary entertainment. http://www.thainorcal.org/
PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS
- Symphony Silicon Valley presents "Carmina Burana" (March 22 - 23) - Orff's powerhouse and scenic cantata opens with virtuoso J.P. Jofre joining fellow Argentine Maestro Vieu and the orchestra to premiere his concerto for bandoneon, the soul of tango. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/california-theatre.
- San Jose Symphonic Choir Concert (March 30) - This San Jose Symphonic Choir concert includes Franz Joseph Haydn's The Creation and features the Nova Vista Symphony. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/california-theatre.
- Opera San Jose: Don Giovanni (April 19 - May 4) - Mozart's dramatic genius pervades in Don Giovanni as he weaves humor, melodrama and supernatural elements into a powerful musical masterpiece. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/california-theatre.
- Unique Lives: Mia Farrow (April 28) - Beyond the Hollywood gossip column, Mia Farrow is a remarkable humanitarian that very few can emulate. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/california-theatre.
- Symphony Silicon Valley presents "Nakamatsu Plays Rachmaninoff" (May 16 - May 18) - Pianist Jon Nakamatsu returns to play the near-impossible Rachmaninoff concerto with which he won the Van Cliburn Gold Medal - a must hear performance. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/california-theatre.
- Symphony Silicon Valley presents "Beethoven's Eroica" (June 7) - Maestro Cleve closes the Symphony's 12th season on a triumphant note with Beethoven's mighty "Heroic" symphony, the revolutionary work that created a new musical world. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/california-theatre.
Center for the Performing Arts
- Ballet San Jose presents "Popular Music, Transcendent Dancing" (March 21 - March 23) - This program explores the inspiration two centuries of popular music has had on modern and contemporary choreographers. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/center-for-performing-arts.
- Ballet San Jose presents "Masterworks of Movement and Theatre" (May 9 - May 11) - Two masterworks by two different master dance-makers of our era share a program of extreme contrasts and bravura dancing. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/center-for-performing-arts.
- Broadway San Jose presents "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" (May 27 - June 1) - One of the most enduring family shows of all time, this musical features the trials and triumphs of Joseph, Israel's favorite son. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/center-for-performing-arts.
City National Civic
- Nederlander Concerts presents "Jennifer Nettles" (March 27) - Country superstar Jennifer Nettles brings her "That Girl" solo headlining tour to City National Civic. Brandy Clark will open the show. www.citynationalcivic.com.
- Nederlander Concerts presents "Sesame Street Live: Make a New Friend" (June 6 - June 8) - Elmo, Grover, and their Sesame Street friends welcome Chamki, a new friend from India. www.citynationalcivic.com.
- Lyric Theater of San Jose presents "La Périchole" (March 22 - March 30) - La Périchole and her lover, Piquillo, two street singers in Lima, are too poor to afford a marriage license, until the lecherous Viceroy of Peru makes her an offer she can't refuse. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/montgomery-theater.
- CMT San Jose presents "Monty Python's Spamalot" (April 11 - April 19) - Monty Python's Spamalot is a parody of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which is a parody of the legend of King Arthur and his quest for the grail. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/montgomery-theater.
- Come Together: Beatles Concert Experience (April 26) - In this live performance, Come Together recreates the look, sound and history of the Beatles. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/montgomery-theater.
- CMT San Jose presents "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" (May 1 - May 4) - Charlie Brown undergoes a small but meaningful identity crisis. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/montgomery-theater.
- Lyric Theatre of San Jose presents "The Mikado" (June 21 - June 29) - One of Gilbert & Sullivan's most successful operettas, The Mikado tells the comedic story of a prince in disguise, three little maids, an executioner threatened with execution, and a dragon lady looking for her lost love to come to life. www.sanjosetheaters.org/theaters/montgomery-theater.
San Jose McEnery Convention Center
- Spring Style Show (April 27 - April 28) - Come explore all things hair and cosmetics in this popular beauty show. www.info.cosmoprofbeauty.com.
- Big WOW! ComicFest 2014 (May 17 - May 18) - Northern California's premiere comic book convention returns. www.bigwowcomicfest.com.
- FanimeCon (May 23 - May 27) - Northern California's largest anime convention is packed with nonstop video programming, extraordinary costumes, music, games, tournaments, sensational panels and renowned international guests. www.fanime.com.
- Lady Gaga (June 3) - One of the top global touring acts of our time, Lady Gaga performs songs from her new album ARTPOP. www.sapcenteratsanjose.com.
PUBLIC SHOWS AND HAPPENINGS
History Park San Jose
- The 20th Annual Spring Garden Market (April 12) - This premier plant sale, features a sustainable gardening showcase and vendor fair, plus delicious food truck fare. www.historysanjose.org.
Japantown San Jose
- Sake San Jose (May 23) - Join the hundreds of sake tasters at Yu-Ai Kai's 8th Annual Sake San Jose event as they embark upon the streets of historic Japantown San Jose. www.sakesanjose.com.
Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
- Spring Equinox Celebration (March 20) - The museum celebrates the Spring Equinox with a ritualistic ceremony and tour from 6 - 7:30 pm www.egyptianmuseum.org
San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art
- Toriawase (Now - May 17) - This group exhibition, co-curated by Misako Mitsui, juxtaposes traditional and historical Japanese art and objects with selected contemporary Western artwork. www.sjica.org.
San Jose Museum of Art
- Initial Public Offering: New Works from SJMA's Permanent Collection (Now - August 24) - Initial Public Offering presents works that exemplify SJMA's surprising and playful take on the art of our time, including newly revealed acquisitions. www.sjmusart.org.
- Meet Carla Hall (April 12) - Meet Carla Hall, co-host of ABC's "The Chew" and "Fan Favorite" on Bravo's Top Chef All-Stars during a public demo and Q&A at 5 pm, followed by a book signing at 6 pm. www.santanarow.com.
- Santana Row Summer Fashion Shows (June 7) - Santana Row's popular event returns for the sixth year featuring the season's best fashions, with 1 pm and 4 pm runway shows at Misora. www.santanarow.com.
The Tech Museum of Innovation
- After Hours (April 3, May 1 and June 5) - The first Thursday of each month, adults 21 and over can enjoy science, technology entertainment and cocktails. www.thetech.org.
Winchester Mystery House
- 9th Annual San Jose Orchid Exposition (May 30, 31, June 1) - Purchase rare orchids from world renowned orchid growers, attend workshops, enjoy local wines and see lovely orchid displays throughout the mansion. http://realorchidgrowers.com/
- Friday the 13th Flashlight Tour (June 13) - Tour the beautiful but Bizarre Winchester Mystery House with only the moonlight and souvenir flashlight to guide you! www.winchestermysteryhouse.com
ADDITIONAL PUBLIC SHOWS AND HAPPENINGS
- Children's Discovery Museum presents Imagination Playground (Now - March 30) - The giant blue blocks return, inviting everyone to show off their creativity. www.cdm.org.
- Downtown Farmers' Market (Every Friday May 2 - November 21, except July 4) - Over 40 farmers/food purveyors and 12 artists sell their goods from 10 am - 2 pm on San Pedro Street. http://sjdowntown.com/
- Great America Opening Day (March 29) - Discover why California's Great America is Northern California's best choice for family fun and adventure. www.cagreatamerica.com.
- Santa Cruz Mountain Wineries Passport Weekend (April 19) - Taste your way at up to 30+ wineries throughout the Santa Cruz Mountains, each offering a unique pairing of artisan handcrafted wines, gourmet food, tours and entertainment. http://scmwa.com
- Silicon Valley Restaurant Week (April 30 - May 7) - Silicon Valley's leading restaurateurs offer a discounted three-course fixed price dinner menu each night they are open. www.siliconvalleyrestaurantweek.com.
- South FIRST FRIDAYS (April 4, May 2 and June 6) - This art walk is a self-guided evening tour of galleries, museums, and independent creative businesses in the SoFA District (and beyond) featuring exhibitions and special performances from 7 pm. - 11 pm. www.southfirstfridays.com/.
Amgen Tour of California
- Stage 3 (May 13) at Lake Cunningham Regional Park - Stage 3 of this premier cycling race will begin at the Lake Cunningham Regional Park on the east side of San Jose. http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/.
- San Jose SaberCats (March 23, 2014) - Support the three-time ArenaBowl champion San Jose SaberCats as they look to defend home turf against: Philadelphia Soul (March 23); Spokane Shock (April 4 & June 14); Arizona Rattlers (April 12); Orlando Predators (May 3); and more. www.thesanjosesabercats.com
- San Jose Sharks (Spring 2014) - Support the San Jose Sharks on their quest for the Stanley Cup at the SAP Center. Dates and opponents include: Anaheim Ducks (March 20); Washington Capitals (March 22); Winnipeg Jets (March 27); Edmonton Oilers (April 1); LA Kings (April 3); and more. www.sharks.nhl.com.
Minor League Baseball
- San Jose Giants (Spring 2014) - San Jose Giants compete against: Bakersfield Blaze (April 10 - April 13); Island Empire 66ers (April 14 - April 16); Visalia Rawhide (April 21 - April 24); Bakersfield Blaze (April 25 - April 27); Modesto Nuts (May 5 - May 8); and more. www.sjgiants.com.
- San Jose Earthquakes (Spring 2014) - Watch the Earthquakes kick off the 2014 season at Buck Shaw Stadium on March 15 against Real Salt Lake. Other games include: New England Revolution (March 29); Columbus Crew (April 13); Chivas USA (April 26); Colorado Rapids (May 7); FC Dallas (May 10) and more. www.sjearthquakes.com.
Team San Jose (TSJ)
Team San Jose, Inc. is an economic development organization and San Jose's official Convention and Visitors Bureau, unifying the destination, hotels and venues to deliver an exceptional visitor experience. San Jose offers all you would expect from a big city destination with small town charm and serves as the gateway to Northern California attractions. Our company provides full management services for seven venues on behalf of the City of San Jose including the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, Parkside Hall and South Hall and Arts and Entertainment venues including the California Theatre, the Center for the Performing Arts, Montgomery Theater, and City National Civic.
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 27, 2017 07:00 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Feb. 27, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 1,748
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Feb. 27, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 6,148
After more than five years of DevOps, definitions are evolving, boundaries are expanding, ‘unicorns’ are no longer rare, enterprises are on board, and pundits are moving on. Can we now look at an evolution of DevOps? Should we? Is the foundation of DevOps ‘done’, or is there still too much left to do? What is mature, and what is still missing? What does the next 5 years of DevOps look like? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by DevOps Summit Conference Chair Andi Mann, panelists l...
Feb. 27, 2017 05:00 AM EST Reads: 7,408
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 27, 2017 04:30 AM EST Reads: 2,235
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, director/senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 27, 2017 04:30 AM EST Reads: 4,302
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 27, 2017 04:00 AM EST Reads: 7,356
910Telecom exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and exchanges.
Feb. 27, 2017 03:30 AM EST Reads: 2,207
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 27, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,491
Hardware virtualization and cloud computing allowed us to increase resource utilization and increase our flexibility to respond to business demand. Docker Containers are the next quantum leap - Are they?! Databases always represented an additional set of challenges unique to running workloads requiring a maximum of I/O, network, CPU resources combined with data locality.
Feb. 27, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,298
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Feb. 27, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 7,550
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 27, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 1,957
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Feb. 27, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,721
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Feb. 27, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,690
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Feb. 27, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,158