|By PR Newswire||
|March 3, 2014 09:07 AM EST||
MINNEAPOLIS, March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Bisquick® is flippin' for flapjacks during National Pancake Week, March 2-8. Just about everyone on the planet loves a good pancake. Over-the-top flavor combinations and toppings seem to be the trend du jour, and with so many adventurous cooks trying new flavors, who knows what stack will sweep the nation next during Bisquick's National Pancake Week…Chocolate Sriracha Bacon Pancakes anyone?
The Unofficial, Unhistorical History of Pancakes
The pancake's cake-y goodness has been making people happy since the dawn of man. Here are a few notable moments in the pancake's journey to greatness.
- 600 BC—The first recorded mention of pancakes dates back to ancient Greece and comes from a poet who described warm pancakes in one of his writings.
- 1100 AD—Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) becomes a traditional celebration as a way to use up dairy products before Lent – the pancake breakfast is born.
- 1445—The year that villagers in Olney, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom, started their famous pancake race. Each year the winner receives a smooch from the church bell ringer.
- 1870s—The flapjack becomes known as the pancake and America is changed forever.
- 1880s—Maple syrup becomes the preferred topping of choice.
- 1931—Bisquick is first introduced and cooks across America start using it to make fluffy pancakes.
- 1985—To recognize the history and continuing popularity of pancakes, Bisquick created a week-long celebration—National Pancake Week. This week-long celebration is always during the week of Shrove Tuesday and Lent.
To find out more about pancake history, visit www.bettycrocker.com/NationalPancakeWeek.
What's Your Pancake Fix?
Did you know that what you do to get your day started says a lot about you? Bisquick has got the pancake to fit your style and help turn your family's day into a happy one. Take the Bisquick pancake personality quiz to find out which stack is your shortcut to happy.
Seven Happy Twists on the Classic Pancake
Need to feed a group? Serve them pancakes! Think about it; Bisquick batter comes together in a flash and goes with nearly any filling or topping, making pancake personalization easy for everyone. Families can have fun at home trying different ideas during National Pancake Week. From lemon-poppy seed to chocolate-stuffed, you're sure to smile after taking a bite from your personalized pancake stack.
- Sunday: What a better way to start the morning than with Strawberries and Cream Pancakes? Surprise the family with these tender pancakes layered with sweet berries and smooth cream.
- Monday: From Betty's Soul Food Collection, Praline Peach Pancakes combine peach yogurt, brown sugar and pecans creating the wow in yummy pancakes with matching syrup—the kids will love these for a flavorful dinner option.
- Tuesday: Try a delicious new flavor twist to Bisquick pancakes using poppy seed, rich sour cream, lemon juice and lemon peel in Lemon-Poppy Seed Pancakes. These are a fun lunch idea for the family instead of the same old sandwich.
- Wednesday: Blogger Jessica Walker from Lil Miss Bossy shares a sweet and festive pancake recipe for your St. Patrick's Day breakfast with her Top o' the Mornin Lucky Charms® Pancakes. This fun recipe is sure the surprise the kids anytime of the day.
- Thursday: Blogger Sarah W. Caron from Sarah's Cucina Bella shares Easy Blueberry-White Chocolate Pancakes—a family favorite pancake recipe made easy and all can get involved in the fun of making them.
- Friday: Blogger Tieghan Gerard of Half Baked Harvest has created a fun dinner option to end the week—Blackberry Buttermilk Pancakes. To add to the fun, these pancakes can be topped with a quick and easy blackberry syrup.
- Saturday: Blogger Arlene Cummings of Cooking with Sugar shares a favorite recipe—Chocolate-Stuffed Pancakes. These pancakes are a Saturday morning treat in her house. The hot chocolate melting out of the center makes them irresistible and a fun surprise for the entire family.
Click here to see all of these recipes and more from Bisquick.
About General Mills
General Mills is one of the world's leading food companies, operating in more than 100 countries around the world. Its brands include Cheerios, Fiber One, Haagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Yoplait, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Wanchai Ferry, Yoki, and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., USA, General Mills had fiscal 2013 worldwide sales of US $17.8 billion. Visit www.generalmills.com.
SOURCE Betty Crocker
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 11, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,111
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 11, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,393
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and sh...
Dec. 11, 2016 12:00 AM EST Reads: 909
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 10, 2016 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,796
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,219
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Dec. 10, 2016 10:15 PM EST Reads: 2,073
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,355
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 10, 2016 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,821
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 10, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 4,158
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,973
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,551
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,036
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,099
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,012
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,428